What is the point in Bible Study?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is one of the most useful sources of information to learning historically about the evidences of God dealing with mankind.

Why is the Bible so useful to a individual?
What is the purpose of having a Bible?
Can the Bible be trusted?

With these questions being asked: over all it seems that living by the spirit is the primary objective to Christian living.

That includes, having love for God first. It is always about having love for God first in which in turn allows us to have love for others. And the Bible is a useful reference tool.

Comment some of your thoughts, if you would like to.

EddieRamos

Dec 19, 2021
Millville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is so much more than a historical record of evidences of God dealing with mankind. It is primarily a spiritual book written by God himself which contains the message of the gospel all throughout its historical records.

Romans 7:14 (KJV)
14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

The law is the whole word of God and it is spiritual. This means that anyone can pick up the Bible (saved or unsaved) and read it and learn things from it, like they can learn historical facts as well as moral truths. But only the true children of God have been given eyes to see and eras to hear the spiritual truths which God has concealed within those historical accounts and moral truths. Christ puts it this way:

John 8:43-47 (KJV)
43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. 44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. 45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not. 46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? 47 He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

Matthew 11:15 (KJV)
15 He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.

This is the reason Christ spoke in parables all the time, to conceal truth from the unsaved.

Matthew 13:10-13 (KJV)
10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? 11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. 12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. 13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

So, as far as its usefulness, it depends on whether the person is truly saved or thinks he is, but in fact isn’t. Each will focus on different things when they pick up the Bible. The purpose of having the Bible is so that we can have all of this (historical, moral and spiritual) information revealed to us by Christ the creator. And as far as trustworthiness, the Bible is the only book that can be trusted in matters of this creation, salvation and morality. God has taken it upon himself to preserve his word perfect and pure, free from corruption.

Psalms 12:6-7 (KJV)

6 The words of the LORD are pure words:
as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD,
thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

I hope this helps.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is one of the most useful sources of information to learning historically about the evidences of God dealing with mankind.

Why is the Bible so useful to a individual?
What is the purpose of having a Bible?
Can the Bible be trusted?

With these questions being asked: over all it seems that living by the spirit is the primary objective to Christian living.

That includes, having love for God first. It is always about having love for God first in which in turn allows us to have love for others. And the Bible is a useful reference tool.

Comment some of your thoughts, if you would like to.

To draw closer to God, should be our primary reason to study the Bible

Reactions: MatthewG

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
To draw closer to God, should be our primary reason to study the Bible

People can draw closer to God, but as Jesus stated, when asked what the people can do to "bring in the Kingdom of God?", His response was for them to "Believe in Him Whom He has sent."

Believing requires faith. Faith requires a relationship with the person/entity that we believe in.

Many draw closer to God but do not develop a personal relationship with God/Jesus. It becomes head knowledge because they do not allow God to transpose that head knowledge to their heart where He wants it to be written and found.

Shalom

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People can draw closer to God, but as Jesus stated, when asked what the people can do to "bring in the Kingdom of God?", His response was for them to "Believe in Him Whom He has sent."

Believing requires faith. Faith requires a relationship with the person/entity that we believe in.

Many draw closer to God but do not develop a personal relationship with God/Jesus. It becomes head knowledge because they do not allow God to transpose that head knowledge to their heart where He wants it to be written and found.

Shalom

I do agree to a degree Jay, by the very context of the verse, if God does not draw closer to them, then I don't really think they were trying to draw closer to Him. I think you mean that many put on a pretense of serving God, but proving false to it, if that is what you meant, then I fully agree.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Why is the Bible so useful to a individual? What is the purpose of having a Bible?
The answer is found in 2 Timothy 3:16,17: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Reactions: MatthewG

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I do agree to a degree Jay, by the very context of the verse, if God does not draw closer to them, then I don't really think they were trying to draw closer to Him. I think you mean that many put on a pretence of serving God, but proving false to it, if that is what you meant, then I fully agree.

Now I was quoting this passage: -

John 6:26-40: - 26 Jesus answered them and said, "Most assuredly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled. 27 Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him."

28 Then they said to Him, "What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?"

29 Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."

30 Therefore they said to Him, "What sign will You perform then, that we may see it and believe You? What work will You do? 31 Our fathers ate the manna in the desert; as it is written, 'He gave them bread from heaven to eat.'"

32 Then Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, Moses did not give you the bread from heaven, but My Father gives you the true bread from heaven. 33 For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world."

34 Then they said to Him, "Lord, give us this bread always."

35 And Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst. 36 But I said to you that you have seen Me and yet do not believe. 37 All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 39 This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day. 40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day."​
NKJV

A few verse later Jesus speaks of God drawing the people, which I did not quote from. It speak of God drawing people, whereas I was speaking of people attempting to draw closer to God.

John 6:43-51: - 43 Jesus therefore answered and said to them, "Do not murmur among yourselves. 44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall all be taught by God.' Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me. 46 Not that anyone has seen the Father, except He who is from God; He has seen the Father. 47 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50 This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die. 51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world."​
NKJV

Sadly many today are arguing about the process by which Jesus can save them and give them Eternal life. This forum is just one such example of this happening amongst "so called Christians." Sadly many do not comprehend just how far they are away from God and a relationship with Him as they attempt to draw close to Him.

Shalom

Shalom

Reactions: Lambano

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now I was quoting this passage: -

John 6:26-40: - 26 Jesus answered them and said, "Most assuredly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled. 27 Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him."

28 Then they said to Him, "What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?"

29 Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."

30 Therefore they said to Him, "What sign will You perform then, that we may see it and believe You? What work will You do? 31 Our fathers ate the manna in the desert; as it is written, 'He gave them bread from heaven to eat.'"

32 Then Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, Moses did not give you the bread from heaven, but My Father gives you the true bread from heaven. 33 For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world."

34 Then they said to Him, "Lord, give us this bread always."

35 And Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst. 36 But I said to you that you have seen Me and yet do not believe. 37 All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 39 This is the will of the Father who sent Me, that of all He has given Me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up at the last day. 40 And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day."​
NKJV

A few verse later Jesus speaks of God drawing the people, which I did not quote from. It speak of God drawing people, whereas I was speaking of people attempting to draw closer to God.

John 6:43-51: - 43 Jesus therefore answered and said to them, "Do not murmur among yourselves. 44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall all be taught by God.' Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me. 46 Not that anyone has seen the Father, except He who is from God; He has seen the Father. 47 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50 This is the bread which comes down from heaven, that one may eat of it and not die. 51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread that I shall give is My flesh, which I shall give for the life of the world."​
NKJV

Sadly many today are arguing about the process by which Jesus can save them and give them Eternal life. This forum is just one such example of this happening amongst "so called Christians." Sadly many do not comprehend just how far they are away from God and a relationship with Him as they attempt to draw close to Him.

Shalom

Shalom

Thanks for clarifying that Jay. I thought you were referring to James 4:8 which of course is related. God does draw many, based on their heart condition. The process for everlasting life is outlined for us in the Bible to read for ourselves. It is important to take the Bible as a whole however as it will be so very easy to draw the wrong conclusion. For example, one might go to a church and the minister reads acts 16:31, and it hits home with him, he believes in Jesus and he takes it away he is saved. But not knowing Mat 7:21-23 even exists, or 24:13, he might just continue on in believing that.