What is the rule of faith?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

scripture alone?

your private judgement?

or God and what He has revealed?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
From the Catholic Dictionary

RULE OF FAITH

Definition

The norm that enables the faithful to know what to believe. The revealed Word of God in Sacred Scripture and sacred tradition is a remote rule of faith. But the teaching of the Church based on divine revelation is considered the immediate rule of faith.

If you want an in depth article try this one:

Rule of Faith, The

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is it that a seemingly black and white 'rule' is needed? Was it not shown in the OT that having a whole set of written rules was Not the answer needed? Did not Peter declare it to be so?

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

scripture alone?

your private judgement?

or God and what He has revealed?

Romans 10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

Romans 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

Colossians 3:14-17 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. [15] And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. [16] Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. [17] And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Proverbs 25:27-28 It is not good to eat much honey: so for men to search their own glory is not glory. [28] He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls.

Philippians 3:16-20 Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing. [17] Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. [18] (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: [19] Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.) [20] For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

Zechariah 2:4-5 And said unto him, Run, speak to this young man, saying, Jerusalem shall be inhabited as towns without walls for the multitude of men and cattle therein: [5] For I, saith the Lord, will be unto her a wall of fire round about, and will be the glory in the midst of her.
(Let the word of Christ dwell in you)

Romans 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

Last edited:
Reactions: DNB

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is the word of God and part of divine revelation but not the Bible alone,

the heavens declare the Glory of God psalm 19 that’s divine revelation but not Bible, the word of God cave to John: Lk 3:2 Divine revelation but not scripture, He did not have a book chapter and verse? Mt 16:16-17 Peter received divine revelation not by the Bible.
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.
Tradition is part of divine revelation! That which is handed down, taught. Mt 28:19
Lk 1:2-4
2 Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;

3 It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus,

4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Jn 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

2 John 1:12
Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak face to face, that our joy may be full.

The rule of faith is God and His revelation!

Matthew 4:4
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Matthew 24:35
Heaven and earth shall pass away, but mywords shall not pass away.

but nowhere does it say divine revelation is limited to the “Bible alone” you even need the church to define what is and what is not the Bible! The church founded by Christ on the apostles existed before the New Testament and wrote and cannonized the New Testament!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Bible is the word of God and part of divine revelation but not the Bible alone,

the heavens declare the Glory of God psalm 19 that’s divine revelation but not Bible, the word of God cave to John: Lk 3:2 Divine revelation but not scripture, He did not have a book chapter and verse? Mt 16:16-17 Peter received divine revelation not by the Bible.
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.
Tradition is part of divine revelation! That which is handed down, taught. Mt 28:19
Lk 1:2-4
2 Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;

3 It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus,

4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Jn 21:25 And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

2 John 1:12
Having many things to write unto you, I would not write with paper and ink: but I trust to come unto you, and speak face to face, that our joy may be full.

The rule of faith is God and His revelation!

Matthew 4:4
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Matthew 24:35
Heaven and earth shall pass away, but mywords shall not pass away.

but nowhere does it say divine revelation is limited to the “Bible alone” you even need the church to define what is and what is not the Bible! The church founded by Christ on the apostles existed before the New Testament and wrote and cannonized the New Testament!
You're splitting hairs over something that is synonymous and inseparable. The Word of God, is the will of God, is the Spirit of God, is the testimony of God to man. Prior to its inception in written form, yes, certain things had to take place for that are unprecedented, ie divine inspiration and revelation. This is given once so that foundational and eternal principles may be established, not to be altered or privately interpreted. And those that received it ensured of its preservation for posterity. This is the Word of God, not to be manipulated nor open to subjective interpretation. God is not frivolous and indecisive, the road to truth is narrow and precise.
What is your contention, or implied insufficiency with the Bible, based on? Is it not comprehensive, salvific, exhaustive, didactic and explicit, pastoral, historical, factual or divinely inspired enough for you? Is it lacking something, somewhere that you feel personal revelation is also required for man to attain salvation, or to be holy as God is holy?
Is the

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

not the Bible alone
The Bible refers to this:

Teaching authority of the Apostles and their successors in the church founded in the one true founded by Jesus Christ!

Jesus Christ is the head of the church, (eph 5:23) the body of Christ,
(col 1:18) the new and eternal covenant, (pre-figured Jer 31:31) (Heb 8:8) new covenant replaces the Mosaic covenant, (Heb 8:13) Christ replaces David as king, (Lk 1:32-33) Jesus Christ is the only mediator between God and men, (1 Tim 2:5 & Heb 12:24) but a mediator remains on earth mediating between God and His people, but Christ ascended to heaven, (acts 1) before He did He founded His church, on Peter, and the apostles, and their successors!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16
Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 16:13
Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20

We must be taught!

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Lk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.