What is the significance of biblical name changes?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why twins? What are the significance of twins???

“And when her days to be delivered were fulfilled, behold, there were twins in her womb.” Genesis 25: 24

Is it insane to consider we may be twins? One twin: the nature of man, born of the physical womb) curses and mocks God and loves the world and wants to hold onto it. Speaking lies and spews hatred and rebellion against God’s commandments. The one that seeks self, against God and all He upholds. The other twin: a new name) born of a supernatural birth, born of the spiritual womb from above. The one that loves God and delights in God’s commandments. The one that finds joy and peace and comfort in the embrace in the right arm of a holy God. The one that diligently seeks the word of God and His face.

One dies, flesh crucified. The other, new birth, born again, sleeps then resurrection and inheritance of the kingdom. ??

Jacob (holder of the heel) wrestled with the Lord, demanding to be renamed. Demanding, (I am paraphrasing): I will not wear this name, YOU WILL surname me and give me a new name. Jacob becomes Israel, meaning “Triumphant with God”.

Saul, the persecutor of believers, the one the coats of those that stoned Steven, their coast being laid before Saul, was given a new name. Saul was changed to Paul.

Abram/ Abraham
Sarai/ Sarah
Edom/ Esau (what does that mean????)

"And it came to pass in the time of her travail, that, behold, twins were in her womb.
And it came to pass, when she travailed, that the one put out his hand: and the midwife took and bound upon his hand a scarlet thread, saying, This came out first.
And it came to pass, as he drew back his hand, that, behold, his brother came out: and she said, How hast thou broken forth? this breach be upon thee: therefore his name was called Pharez.
And afterward came out his brother, that had the scarlet thread upon his hand: and his name was called Zarah." Genesis 38: 27-30

The name Pharez means: Division, rupture
The name Zarah (the brother with the scarlet thread) means: East, brightness

“Thy teeth are like a flock of sheep that are even shorn, which came up from the washing; whereof every one bear twins, and none is barren among them. Thy lips are like a thread of scarlet, and thy speck is comely: thy temples are like a piece of a pomegranate with thy locks.” Song of Songs 4:5

Christ is the thread of scarlet.

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.” Revelation 2: 17

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

Peanut

Jul 19, 2017
goodbye
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why twins? What are the significance of twins???

“And when her days to be delivered were fulfilled, behold, there were twins in her womb.” Genesis 25: 24

Is it insane to consider we may be twins? One twin: the nature of man, born of the physical womb) curses and mocks God and loves the world and wants to hold onto it. Speaking lies and spews hatred and rebellion against God’s commandments. The one that seeks self, against God and all He upholds. The other twin: a new name) born of a supernatural birth, born of the spiritual womb from above. The one that loves God and delights in God’s commandments. The one that finds joy and peace and comfort in the embrace in the right arm of a holy God. The one that diligently seeks the word of God and His face.

One dies, flesh crucified. The other, new birth, born again, sleeps then resurrection and inheritance of the kingdom. ??

Jacob (holder of the heel) wrestled with the Lord, demanding to be renamed. Demanding, (I am paraphrasing): I will not wear this name, YOU WILL surname me and give me a new name. Jacob becomes Israel, meaning “Triumphant with God”.

Saul, the persecutor of believers, the one the coats of those that stoned Steven, their coast being laid before Saul, was given a new name. Saul was changed to Paul.

Abram/ Abraham
Sarai/ Sarah
Edom/ Esau (what does that mean????)

"And it came to pass in the time of her travail, that, behold, twins were in her womb.
And it came to pass, when she travailed, that the one put out his hand: and the midwife took and bound upon his hand a scarlet thread, saying, This came out first.
And it came to pass, as he drew back his hand, that, behold, his brother came out: and she said, How hast thou broken forth? this breach be upon thee: therefore his name was called Pharez.
And afterward came out his brother, that had the scarlet thread upon his hand: and his name was called Zarah." Genesis 38: 27-30

The name Pharez means: Division, rupture
The name Zarah (the brother with the scarlet thread) means: East, brightness

“Thy teeth are like a flock of sheep that are even shorn, which came up from the washing; whereof every one bear twins, and none is barren among them. Thy lips are like a thread of scarlet, and thy speck is comely: thy temples are like a piece of a pomegranate with thy locks.” Song of Songs 4:5

Christ is the thread of scarlet.

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.” Revelation 2: 17

I've not found any scripture that tells us why God changed peoples names in the scriptures. Perhaps though it was to give them a new identity and destiny in his service once he anointed them for such a precious mission.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
imo the new names propagate organically within a community; which can still be observed today, common nicknames, etc. We even have a "the Rock" right now :)