What is wrong with Pride?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 18: 9 Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ 13 And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be [a]humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Having come from a background in which was seen by me as elevated above others in my life, it caused me to have a lot of pride over others and to look at them, and despise them all the while in my own mind I was right. Is this the effect of bad pride? And is it okay to take pride in God who does help us in our lives but to do it in humbleness and not in a haughty (puffed up) manner?

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mat 6:27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

I was going to start off my post with, All men are created equal.
But I'm not so sure that's right.
Some are born with all different kinds of gifts and attributes than others.
My daughter is very good with working with crafts. She creates her own Occasion Cards.
She can take a piece of paper and some string and turn it into a beautiful thing.
I can't draw a cats tail.
Some people are more intellectual, others are more emotional.
But I do believe everyone is born with a gift of some sort.
And I say "gift", because somethings you just can't aquire by book or street knowledge. You either have it or you don't.
Pride instead of being thankful for the gifts one has, tries to elevate those gifts above others gifts as if they had something to do with it.
Not all can prophecy, not all can teach, not all can cook or sew a dress.
But none of these gifts are any more important than the other.
Rather they all work together and form a community where the naked person who can cook feeds the person who can sew.

But all gifts come from God, even if it is a gentle heart, with nothing else to offer but a smile and a hug.
That smile and hug can go a long ways to someone who is intellectually smart but still feeling lonely and depressed.
The things money can't buy.

1Co 12:15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
1Co 12:16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
1Co 12:17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?
1Co 12:18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.

Just my thoughts,
still working on my first cup of coffee
:D
HUGS

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And is it okay to take pride in God who does help us in our lives but to do it in humbleness and not in a haughty (puffed up) manner?
Yes:

“Let him who boasts boast in the Lord.” 2 Corinthians 10:17
But even then you have to do it in a way that does not sound like you're special.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mat 6:27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

I was going to start off my post with, All men are created equal.
But I'm not so sure that's right.
Some are born with all different kinds of gifts and attributes than others.
My daughter is very good with working with crafts. She creates her own Occasion Cards.
She can take a piece of paper and some string and turn it into a beautiful thing.
I can't draw a cats tail.
Some people are more intellectual, others are more emotional.
But I do believe everyone is born with a gift of some sort.
And I say "gift", because somethings you just can't aquire by book or street knowledge. You either have it or you don't.
Pride instead of being thankful for the gifts one has, tries to elevate those gifts above others gifts as if they had something to do with it.
Not all can prophecy, not all can teach, not all can cook or sew a dress.
But none of these gifts are any more important than the other.
Rather they all work together and form a community where the naked person who can cook feeds the person who can sew.

But all gifts come from God, even if it is a gentle heart, with nothing else to offer but a smile and a hug.
That smile and hug can go a long ways to someone who is intellectually smart but still feeling lonely and depressed.
The things money can't buy.

1Co 12:15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
1Co 12:16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
1Co 12:17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?
1Co 12:18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.

Just my thoughts,
still working on my first cup of coffee
:D
HUGS

Thank you for sharing this, you know even the bible state some of the things that the living God hates, and what you shared here about how pride is the thing that tends to elevate us and if it is left unchecked it can become to the point of putting our own selves as equal to God which is not good. Humbleness on the other hand would be seeing God as our life provider and the one who helps us get through this life more comfortably than without him, by thanking him for all the things that he has done for one in their individual life, rather than looking at oneself and the world with the lust of the eyes, lust of the flesh, and the pride of life, Ziggy.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it caused me to have a lot of pride over others and to look at them, and despise them all the while in my own mind I was right. Is this the effect of bad pride?
Pride is a horrible sin. In fact, I go so far as to say it is the one thing that makes life so terrible in the world. The sins that pride produces, and it's inability to recognize it's wrong and reconcile with those it harms makes it an especially destruction force in the world. The worst, IMO. The very reason the world is the way it is.

You can have differences with people. That's inevitable. But it's when there is no reconciliation and understanding possible because one of the people involved is locked in pride and won't acknowledge their wrong and ask for forgiveness or extend it you've got an impossible, ugly and destructive situation. It's what ruins life.

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Having come from a background in which was seen by me as elevated above others in my life, it caused me to have a lot of pride over others and to look at them, and despise them all the while in my own mind I was right. Is this the effect of bad pride? And is it okay to take pride in God who does help us in our lives but to do it in humbleness and not in a haughty (puffed up) manner?

Nothing, as long as it is pride toward God. Jer 9:23,24

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing, as long as it is pride toward God. Jer 9:23,24

Hello Robert,

You shared Jeremiah 9:
23 Thus says the Yahweh:

“Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom,
Let not the mighty man glory in his might,
Nor let the rich man glory in his riches;
24 But let him who glories glory in this,
That he understands and knows Me,
That I am the Lord, exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth.
For in these I delight,” says the Yahweh.

That is an interesting scripture, you also remind me of what Yahweh also hates founded in scripture, Proverbs 6:16-19.

Thank you for sharing.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
gâʼôwn, gaw-ohn'; from H1342; the same as H1346:—arrogancy, excellency(-lent), majesty, pomp, pride, proud, swelling.

gaʼăvâh, gah-av-aw'; from H1342; arrogance or majesty; by implication, (concretely) ornament:—excellency, haughtiness, highness, pride, proudly, swelling.

There are two kinds of pride in the bible.
Most verses seem to be about the "arrogance" or "haughtiness" of pride.
And I also found this:
Psa 31:23 O love the LORD, all ye his saints: for the LORD preserveth the faithful, and plentifully rewardeth the proud H1346 doer.

That's like saying, should you take pride in a job well done?
I think you should be pleased with a good accomplishment.

I suppose it's how one uses it.
Hugs

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Ziggy, you shared a Psalm but it didn't make sense without the context, do thank you for taking time to share what you have found in the scriptures.

New living translation
Psa 31:
21 Praise be to the Lord,
for he showed me the wonders of his love
when I was in a city under siege.
22 In my alarm I said,
“I am cut off from your sight!”
Yet you heard my cry for mercy
when I called to you for help.

23 Love the Lord, all his faithful people!
The Lord preserves those who are true to him,
but the proud he pays back in full.
24 Be strong and take heart,
all you who hope in the Lord.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

It's all about Christ and not about me.

Reactions: LearningToLetGo

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pride is a horrible sin. In fact, I go so far as to say it is the one thing that makes life so terrible in the world. The sins that pride produces, and it's inability to recognize it's wrong and reconcile with those it harms makes it an especially destruction force in the world. The worst, IMO. The very reason the world is the way it is.

You can have differences with people. That's inevitable. But it's when there is no reconciliation and understanding possible because one of the people involved is locked in pride and won't acknowledge their wrong and ask for forgiveness or extend it you've got an impossible, ugly and destructive situation. It's what ruins life.

That makes sense, Ferris. At least at some point in ones life we have all been prideful, especially before having the living God come into someones life, but it seems to be two way street. One one hand it is possible to be lead by the use of the bible that leads to one becoming prideful, you can see the Pharisees in how they were with the Lord Yeshua. It is important to know the difference of pride and of humility, and the thing is, it all starts from the heart.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 6:14 - But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

It's all about Christ and not about me.

Thank you for sharing mailmandan, as I was just saying to Ferris, I have no problem with anyone boasting in the Lord Yeshua Christ, and sharing how Yeshua has changed the life of a person. However there is a problem in the heart of us as human beings, can take that boasting in a prideful sense and not a humble and lowly sense, in which one maybe boasting in the Lord, but boasting along with the things they have done - not what God has done in ones life, do you see that as a problem?

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Ziggy, you shared a Psalm but it didn't make sense without the context, do thank you for taking time to share what you have found in the scriptures.

New living translation
Psa 31:
21 Praise be to the Lord,
for he showed me the wonders of his love
when I was in a city under siege.
22 In my alarm I said,
“I am cut off from your sight!”
Yet you heard my cry for mercy
when I called to you for help.

23 Love the Lord, all his faithful people!
The Lord preserves those who are true to him,
but the proud he pays back in full.
24 Be strong and take heart,
all you who hope in the Lord.

Well, that makes sense.

I suppose our "pride" should come from the Lord himself.
Meaning, when Jesus says "Thou good and faithful servant"

Mat 25:23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

So here, pride isn't arrogant or haughty, it is turned into joy.

If I quit smoking should I be proud of myself?
Would take an awful lot of prayer...
So then my ability to overcome smoking would come from the Lord, which means I have nothing in myself to be proud of.

This is an interesting conversation.
Makes you think deep about where pride comes from in the first place.
It's self gratitude. It's selfish.

In the above verse, we enter into his joy, not our own. But we become co-heirs of that joy.
It's a good day for deep thoughts.
Thank You Matthew
Hugs

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing mailmandan, as I was just saying to Ferris, I have no problem with anyone boasting in the Lord Yeshua Christ, and sharing how Yeshua has changed the life of a person. However there is a problem in the heart of us as human beings, can take that boasting in a prideful sense and not a humble and lowly sense, in which one maybe boasting in the Lord, but boasting along with the things they have done - not what God has done in ones life, do you see that as a problem?
We should never boast in self and apart from Christ we can do nothing. (John 15:5)

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pride is interesting. We like to be proud of what we've done. However, when we are motivated by pride rather than love, we hurt people.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, that makes sense.

I suppose our "pride" should come from the Lord himself.
Meaning, when Jesus says "Thou good and faithful servant"

Mat 25:23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

So here, pride isn't arrogant or haughty, it is turned into joy.

If I quit smoking should I be proud of myself?
Would take an awful lot of prayer...
So then my ability to overcome smoking would come from the Lord, which means I have nothing in myself to be proud of.

This is an interesting conversation.
Makes you think deep about where pride comes from in the first place.
It's self gratitude. It's selfish.

In the above verse, we enter into his joy, not our own. But we become co-heirs of that joy.
It's a good day for deep thoughts.
Thank You Matthew
Hugs

Hello Ziggy,

You are welcome for the presentation here of what is wrong with pride? I believe pride starts in the heart, and maybe most people do not realize what Jesus says about the heart, in which evil thoughts flow from it. Some may see that passage which is talked about Mark 7, and just read and skim over it. However what the Lord Jesus Christ states and says for the most part is important if you are looking to be connecting with Him, as your King.

People back in the day when He was walking around, needed to submit to the person who was in authority, and for us as followers of Christ, individuals should seek that though we are governed by Governments and President, they should be prayed for. The one who is our King is who we submit to though, and what He states is important especially in the aspect of spiritual life.

Spiritual pride is what is being show in the first post by the Parable that Jesus had told, and if anything we should become humble as children rather than standing in a place of great pride, be it materially, or spiritually.