What of us sleeps in Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

larry2

Jun 14, 2018
Arapahoe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Th 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

2Co 5:6 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:

2Co 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Th 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

2Co 5:6 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:

2Co 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
Our souls perhaps? I do believe our spirit returns to God.

larry2

Jun 14, 2018
Arapahoe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What of us sleeps in Christ?
Our souls perhaps? I do believe our spirit returns to God.
Hi dear Sister Nancy, and thanks for your reply. Actually there is only part of our body, soul, and spirit not having obtained immortality, and that is the flesh. There was a doctrine of soul sleep introduced into Christianity having come to be known as Mortalism; JW’s and Seventh Day Adventism being two to believe that, or at least from what I’ve read.

I don’t know if the following excerpt from a study of Corinthians by A.S. Copley will help, but consider this:
“Some saints seem to be confused about immortality and eternal, or everlasting life; and confound the two. Immortality refers only and always to the body; it never refers to the soul or spirit. Life, eternal life, everlasting life, refers to the heart, the spirit. This we obtain thru faith in Jesus, who is “the Life.” When we believe, we are “born of God, born of the Spirit” (John 1:12 and 3:5), “born of incorruptible seed” (I Pet. 1:23), and hence possess a sinless life, which is eternal because it flows from the Eternal One.

This is the record that God hath given to us eternal life; and this life is in His Son. He that hath the Son hath life; he that hath not the Son of God hath not life” - I John 5:11, 12.

Be assured, no one sleeps in heaven.”

Blessings in Christ Jesus. :)