What Outline do you use for study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
I was wondering I see a lot of studies done here and was wondering if an outline was used or some type of software program. Any help appreciated thanks. If this is in the wrong place please feel free to move it.........

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
OK but what is the purpose of it and how do you go about performing a study? Do you just invent a question then research it or what?

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
It depends on what I use,sometimes I am running Windows so it could be notepad. But I am mainly on my macbook so text edit or Iwork.And whenever I see something going on in the world,or I hear something that does not seem right to me I usually look it up. I make up the question and find evidence. I usually come up with ideas(questions) whenever somebody says, "Duke you are wrong,Jesus is not our savior" (Usually they ask/say different questions that require me to study,those are the ones I research I do not research the ones I know,well sometimes to make sure)
biggrin.gif
ha

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I usally find my subject and the verses I know talk about it I check the words in the verses out in hebrew and greek to get a better idea of what God was saying I find if you then read other studies both for and against keep and open mind its important not to go into a study with mind made up on the outcome letgod do the talkingthen I examine both views closely which one fits other scriptures there can be no contradictions in Gods Word so do other scripture contradict it? What verse support itThis is just a start but it might give you an idea of a direction if someone spots an error they will call you on it as Durkster says then you go back and check once it is right and in line with Word its like finding the right puzzel piece it can not be disproven from any direction unless someone just plain misinterpts the other scriptures.

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
(Two;42236)
I was wondering I see a lot of studies done here and was wondering if an outline was used or some type of software program. Any help appreciated thanks. If this is in the wrong place please feel free to move it.........
I have no particular format/outline. For me, it really depends upon the subject at hand as well as my level of knowledge in regard to that subject.As I am rather curious in nature, a lot of mine comes from simply wanting to know the truth of a matter. Whatever that matter may be, or from whatever source it may come.In my studies, I do use some software for quick searching capabilities, as well as multiple 'flavours' [translations] open in side by side windows. However all of my actual study is done in hardcopy format. Takes a little more time, but is well worth the effort IMO. That however is what I do YMMV.As we are all individuals, I do not think that any set format/outline would work for all of us. In time though, I am confident you will find what works best for you.In His love,RichardPS: I like the new line in your sig.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I was working on a guide for rules of bible interpretation study I can give you my notes I have got so far but as Richard says so much depends on your level of learning these are not very refined yet but here they are Does God give us rules for studying scripture ?the answer is yes, some we read over without even realizing they are rules or their significancewe read with a basic understanding but do not stop to think upon them as the rules for understanding his WordWhere are these rules one is come to me as a small child: (verse)What does this mean ? You must drop all your preconceived notions allyour doctrines of men and your denominations all you have thought you knew that formed opinions and read it as a child without a pre conceived notion of what it says,and listen to Gods words alone, not what you have been told they men. This is easier said than done as we have been bombarded with them sense childhood.Another rule we over look is There is nothing new under the sun: (verse) again what does this mean ?Everything in Gods word has a precedence's type or a second witness There is nothing new this includes all men's doctrinesthat come about without a previous type or precedence Everything in the new testament is in the Old the words are newthe old may be a type,(as in the Christ) or a prophesy but if something can not be found in the old you have something wrong Now it maybe difficult to find but its there the New testament can expound upon it giving you a more clear picture but it forerunner will be found in the old.So never think the Old has no use or is outdated it servers as a teacher,as a second witness and as confirmation to the NewThe old testament is the New testament concealed The new testament is Old revealedThen there is rightly dividing the Word you cant always take a single verse to prove a point unless its in context does the previous or following verse explain moreWhats the subject, the object, the who ,what, when, where of it who or what is he talking about when is talking about past ,present, future ? Then there is literal and spiritual or symbolic verse's the rule here is that God interrupts his own !symbolismyou can not just guess at it somewhere he tells you if this is a subject or Word that has symbolism attached to it Example in Rev. he says Stars are Angels so therefore stars can represent Angels if it fits the textStars can also just be literal stars the context will tell you example; Abraham descendants would be as numerous as the stars this is literal it means starsAnother verse says: the stars fell from the heavens, We are told that Satan and his fallen Angels get kicked to earth from heavenSo this stars could be referring to Angels falling to earth or literal stars So you must go to contextand subject. You have to keep an open mind till you find the right answers you cant just assume. If you don't know put it on shelf till you learn more the answers will come as God gives one eyes to see

Red_Letters88

Jan 5, 2008
(Two;42236)
I find the best study template to be my questions, a notepad, and my KJV study Bible. Ive started from page one and I am currently in 2Kings so I just take it as it comes and break it down a little by little. Also, this site helps me to start my own studies, so this is a great place to start the thinking process- for me at least.

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
PS: I like the new line in your sig.
Thanks Richard but I think theres a misprint in it, it says Sion and I think its suppose to say Zion....the way I got it out of the Bible though. Thanks everyone for all the great tips I will have to try my hand at it post my findings and see what y'all think.

ForYou

Jan 21, 2008
I can't wait to see what you come up with TWO,but I have always had a question what exactly is your name trying to say?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK but what is the purpose of it and how do you go about performing a study? Do you just invent a question then research it or what?
Well, in all honesty it comes from a variety of things. One of the things you will notice is that when you begin to look other questions arise, as I am sure you have already experienced. You'll be absolutely amazed at how many times you'll see a question or formulate your own question during the day. Sometimes it may slip a simple mind but when you open up the Word that night or even the next, there's the answer.I'd say I go where I am led. I tend to run my studies either by topic or by book. I go verse by verse through an entire book or I use my study tools (in the form of the Companion Bible, Strongs, etc.) to jump from verse to verse on a topical study. Oftentimes, you'll cover the same ground, but will learn new things each time you go over it and dive into the Hebrew and Greek.