What part of 'you know not' do you not understand?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ comes as a thief, in an hour and a day in which we think not. It is better to live the Christian life in daily expectancy that Christ may return for his church today!

But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. - Matthew 24:36

Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come. - Matthew 24:42

But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.- Mark 13:32

And this know, that if the goodman of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched, and not have suffered his house to be broken through. - Luke 12:39

Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee. - Revelation 3:3

Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame. - Revelation 16:15

Reactions: Job and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I find not only re His coming " we know not"...but in much we "know not" even when we think that we know! :D

The only thing we need to know is our relationship with Father through Jesus Christ.
ALL the rest we only "think" that we know.
Some people keep on repeating and repeating that they 'know'...but as the great bard himself said- " Me thinks she/they does protest too much."

I did think I knew the year I would die ( Psalm 90:12 "So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.") So I asked.
So I thought "maybe" I knew...but it is only a maybe...no one, I don't care how spiritual they are, can say that they have 100% clear hearing on spiritual matters.
I will never believe them.

The title of the thread " what part of -'you know not' do we not understand"
We could add to that 'What part of the Love of God do people not understand'
...because the God some people proclaim to have, is a totally foreign God to me.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is annoying that people put lifetimes into elaborate date schemes whereby they lead many astray. If I had to pick an end time date I would go with the scientist, Isaac Newton...

“And I heard the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand unto heaven, and sware by him that liveth for ever that it shall be for a time, times, and an half.” –Daniel 12:7

From a folio cataloged as Yahuda MS 7.3g, f. 13v:

"So then the time times & half a time are 42 months or 1260 days or three years & an half, reckoning twelve months to a year & 30 days to a month as was done in the Calendar of the primitive year. And the days of short lived Beasts being put for the years of lived kingdoms, the period of 1260 days, if dated from the complete conquest of the three kings A.C. 800, will end A.C. 2060.”" - – Isaac Newton

As Charlemagne was crowned king on December 25, 800 by Pope Leo the III so the day of Christ's coming will be on Christmas Day, 2060. If the rapture of the saints (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17) occurs seven years before the time of Christ’s coming the date of the rapture 12.25 2053. However… Isaac Newton leaves his own prediction in doubt, and has the humility to say...

“"It may end later, but I see no reason for its ending sooner. This I mention not to assert when the time of the end shall be, but to put a stop to the rash conjectures of fancifull men who are frequently predicting the time of the end, & by doing so bring the sacred prophesies into discredit as often as their predictions fail. Christ comes as a thief in the night, & it is not for us to know the times & seasons which God hath put into his own breast." –- Isaac Newton

I believe Isaac Newton was incredible close, especially considering he has been dead nearly 400 years. And he reiterates, after his predictions, that Christ comes as a thief in the night.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not me..I don't fancy the idea of a stoning!! :eek:

The wanna-be prophets of today don't realize how lucky they are.

1 Kings 18
40 And Elijah said to them, “Seize the prophets of Baal! Do not let one of them escape!” So they seized them; and Elijah brought them down to the Brook Kishon and executed them there.

1 Kings 19
19 And Ahab told Jezebel all that Elijah had done, also how he had executed all the prophets with the sword.

:eek:

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
You think we all die, and none are gathered having been 'changed' while alive?
depends what you mean by "gathered" there, but i'm pretty sure i agree with you, and my meaning was that i am not waiting for some imaginary mass event to take place in order to realize the Revelation of Christ, as rocky seems to be inferring (not sure there). Nonetheless, even these "gathered" that we might agree on will all physically die at some point, right?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everybody wants to be a prophet.

It must make them feel on par with God to create such elaborate scenarios. If that aint bad enough, they get mad at you when you try to bring some scriptural balance to their thinking.

Reactions: Job

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Na, I do not mind the scriptures that have been quoted, only the said interpretations of those scriptures.

So be it.

Edited becaue of Job's comment below, to clarify who I was speaking to in this post.

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
in which post though

My impression is that most of the interpretations leave a to to be desired.

Why is it so important to have me chose a particular post? I do not think that it will force the wrong conclusions to be corrected.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My impression is that most of the interpretations leave a to to be desired.

Why is it so important to have me chose a particular post? I do not think that it will force the wrong conclusions to be corrected.

I don't see where anyone gave interpretations for the scripture posted.

Show us the wrong interpretation and give us the correct one.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sadly, many fallible English translations contain interpretational errors within them, covered by the understanding of "it is the Tradition."

If I started to show you the required corrections necessary to come to a right understanding of the original texts, many of you would still not accept what I would post.

If I remember the icon of a poor fellow bashing his head against a brick wall. All that you get is a headache and a lot of disgruntled members. Since many members have already demonstrated that they are unwilling to change, why should I try.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
ya, after all, if you can't say something and get a rousing cheer for it by the crowd, why bother i guess.
Let the few (or the one) that might have heard you find his own light lol
he prolly expects his food to be nutritious, too! Ha!