What required for going to Heaven?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Do you believe that a person must be a member of the Roman Catholic Church in order to go to Heaven?

• Total voters

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
I occasionally read claims that certain requirements must be met in order for a person to go to Heaven.

For example, I read a bumper sticker which claimed, "No Catholic Church = No Salvation".

In another medium, someone claimed that Christians will go to Hell if they don't believe the controversial doctrine of "Once saved always saved."

Elsewhere, I read the claim that a person who has confessed saving faith in Jesus must also obey the commandments of the Old Testament in order to go to Heaven.

If someone were to ask you for the requirements for Heaven, then how would you reply?
Would you include any of the above-stated claims in your reply?

Reactions: Born_Again

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
I think that if I had to answer yes to all of the above, then no one would enter heaven, and Jesus sacrifice was useless.

The bible is clear on a few things....one of them is: for salvation to be given, then one must believe in Christ. But is just 'belief' enough? Satan clearly believes that Jesus exists, but that won't save him!
No...the 'belief' the bible talks about here has several parts to it.
  • We must understand and believe that we are sinners....lost and without the means to save ourselves. "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (Rom 3:23)
  • We must then believe that Jesus Christ died to save us from all our sins...that what he extends to us is a gift...not earned, not deserved. "and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins." (Romans 3:23-25, ESV)
  • We must repent of our sins "No, I tell you; but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.” (Luke 13:5, ESV), And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Acts 2:38, ESV)
  • We are then indwelt by the Spirit, making us new, and sealing within us the promise of heaven. Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. (John 3:5, ESV), so that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the Gentiles, so that we might receive the promised Spirit through faith. (Galatians 3:14, ESV)

So....that's the bible's 'requirements' of salvation. If we conider the questions in the poll above.....
Does a person need to be in the RCC to accept or follow the bibles requirements? No. There are many Christians who believe they are sinners, have repented of those sins, believed in Christ Jesus for salvation, and recieved the Spirit, but are not members of the RCC.

The doctrine of OSAS certainly calls us to a wonderful and important understanding....but again....not believing in OSAS does not stop a person from the above requirements. It might hobble them in the true understanding of the nature of the gift of grace, but it does not stop Jesus from being their Lord and Saviour, or from their repentance of sin, or the fact that they are indwelt by the Spirit.

Last but not lest....do we as Christians need to follow the 10 commandments in order to see heaven? This is a tricky question, because clearly the ten commandments are still very important...even essential. 'You will have no God other than me'....'You will not have or make idols'.....etc. Yes, they are important. But Jesus gives us a chilling message....

“You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire. (Matthew 5:21-22, ESV)

No one....not even one 'saved' can keep anger away 100% of the time. This was Jesus' way of reminding us that no one can keep the commandments perfectly...that if we rely on our keeping of them, we will surely fail and perish. That is why the 'gospel' is such good news, why grace is so amazing. We are told:

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. (Romans 8:1-2, ESV)

Jesus has taken our failures, our mistakes, our stumbles. We need not spend every day walking in fear, spending all our energy on keeping commands we break in our hearts daily, despite our honest intentions otherwise.

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30, ESV)

Jesus, his love and grace, allows us freedom. Instead of doing our best (and failing) to follow the ten, he instead tells us to do two things that, in his grace and with the Spirits help, are very possible for us....

And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.” (Matthew 22:37-40, ESV)

So....no. I say 'no' to all the poll questions above.

Reactions: aspen

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
Belief that Jesus Christ is the Son of God is all that is required to go to Heaven.

It doesn't matter what Satan or demons believe as salvation is not to them anyway.

Quantrill

IBeMe

Jun 17, 2013
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
IBeMe said:
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
And your point is? And please give the Scripture reference.

Quantrill

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Quantrill said:
Belief that Jesus Christ is the Son of God is all that is required to go to Heaven.

It doesn't matter what Satan or demons believe as salvation is not to them anyway.

Quantrill
No, salvation is not for them, but it does raise the point, doesn't it? How many people do you think there are who say, "I believe in Jesus"...but are not saved....show absolutely zero proof of bearing fruit that comes from salvation?

I think the bible does say that whosoever 'believes' in Jesus is saved....but I also think that from biblical context....what it says elsewhere, we can assume that 'belief' in Christ is much more than just having an understanding that he existed. To really 'believe' in Jesus, we have to believe in what he said and what he came for. And he clearly told us to 'repent', as well as 'believe'...and to 'love', and to 'forgive'....to 'bear fruit'...and to recieve the Spirit.

I just think it's important to clarify, because so many people are under the delusion that they're 'right' with God just because they believe Jesus exsisted....but a belief in Jesus that leads regeneration and salvation is much more than that....

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
Rach

Belief that Jesus Christ is the Son of God is what I said. Not that Jesus just existed.

You're adding to that which is required when you say individual has to 'repent, love, forgive, and recieve the Spirit". Belief that Jesus is the Son of God is all that is required to be saved, or 'justified'.

The other things can be worked out later.

Quantrill

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
But I know plenty of people who say "Yeah, I believe in God, and that Jesus was his son"....but they clearly do not have a relationship with Jesus....they do not know him as their Saviour.
I'm not saying that Salvation has all these other requirements that you must 'tick' to be saved. What I am saying is that how we tend to use the word 'belief' these days, does not quite encompass the depth of what happens when we truly, biblically, 'believe' in Jesus Christ.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not believe salvation is a possession or something to check off a list or a base to be covered......the way we talk about salvation sometimes reminds me of making sure every soldier has his share of rations before he goes off to war.

Salvation is more like the condition of your heart after a life long, sanctifying relationship with Christ. Salvation is transformation.

I think we need to stop packaging salvation as a product

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is also neat to experience growth after getting saved...

"Aslan," said Lucy, "you're bigger."
"That is because you are older, little one," answered he.
"Not because you are?"
"I am not. But every year you grow, you will find me bigger."

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
To me salvation is what that no good thief on the cross received.

he probably never gave a dime to charity either..

AT THE END OF HIS NO GOOD LIFE HE SIMPLY SAW THE GOSPEL
DYING FOR HIS SINS RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM REPENTED
AND BELIEVED IN JESUS HIS ONLY SAVOR FROM SIN.

WHO SAID GOD WAS FAIR ?
HE AINT IF HE WERE OUR DOG'S WOULD GET IN AND YOU AND ME, WOULD STAY OUT

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
Rach said:
But I know plenty of people who say "Yeah, I believe in God, and that Jesus was his son"....but they clearly do not have a relationship with Jesus....they do not know him as their Saviour.
I'm not saying that Salvation has all these other requirements that you must 'tick' to be saved. What I am saying is that how we tend to use the word 'belief' these days, does not quite encompass the depth of what happens when we truly, biblically, 'believe' in Jesus Christ.
Here again, its not that one believes Christ existed or exists. But its also not that one says they believe and don't. Salvation is to those who believe.

We can know if one is walking with the Lord as we can see it in their lives. But, just because we don't see it, doesn't always indicate they are not believers. So just because one professes to know Christ, yet I don't see it doesn't mean I can say they don't know him as Saviour. I certainly will have doubts and will not have the assurance to know they are saved, but I do not say they are not saved.

Quantrill

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Quantrill said:
Here again, its not that one believes Christ existed or exists. But its also not that one says they believe and don't. Salvation is to those who believe.

We can know if one is walking with the Lord as we can see it in their lives. But, just because we don't see it, doesn't always indicate they are not believers. So just because one professes to know Christ, yet I don't see it doesn't mean I can say they don't know him as Saviour. I certainly will have doubts and will not have the assurance to know they are saved, but I do not say they are not saved.

Quantrill
I agree with Quantrill on this point. The LORD Jesus warned His disciples not to try to separate the weeds from the wheat during this lifetime.

God tells the Prophet Samuel in 1 Samuel 16:7 (ESV), "For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart."

Elizabeth

Dec 14, 2013
Do you believe that a person must be a member of the Roman Catholic Church in order to go to Heaven?

Yes, I firmly believe that a person must be a member of the Roman Catholic Church for salvation.

[SIZE=11pt]Pope Eugene IV, Council of Florence, ex cathedra:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]“… no one, even if he has shed blood in the name of Christ, can be saved, unless he has remained in the bosom and unity of the Catholic Church.” (Denz. 714)[/SIZE]

Do you believe that a person must believe the doctrine "Once Saved Always Saved" in order to go to Heaven?
No. That's not even biblical.

Do you believe that a person who has professed saving faith in Jesus must also obey the commandments in the Old Testament in order to go to Heaven?
Yes, if you mean the 10 Commandments. When Jesus was asked by someone, what must I do to obtain eternal life?, Jesus replied, "Keep the commmandments."

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Elizabeth said:
Yes, I firmly believe that a person must be a member of the Roman Catholic Church for salvation.

[SIZE=11pt]Pope Eugene IV, Council of Florence, ex cathedra:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11pt]“… no one, even if he has shed blood in the name of Christ, can be saved, unless he has remained in the bosom and unity of the Catholic Church.” (Denz. 714)[/SIZE]
So...to clarify....you believe me....and many others here, are not saved, just because we are not members of the RCC? Even though your quote here from Pope Eugene here is most likely talking about The Catholic Church....as in, the Universal church...the body of believers made up from from all those who call Jesus their Saviour??

Reactions: aspen

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rach said:
So...to clarify....you believe me....and many others here, are not saved, just because we are not members of the RCC? Even though your quote here from Pope Eugene here is most likely talking about The Catholic Church....as in, the Universal church...the body of believers made up from from all those who call Jesus their Saviour??
I assume that Elizabeth would also include all members of the RCC who embrace Vatican II in the damned category. In other words only Traditionalists and Pius X Catholics who reject the Pope, are saved.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Quantrill said:

Quantrill

Sigh. You know...I think you and I must be on a different wavelength, as everything I say seems to be interpreted in a different way by you. :p

No....I am not saying we should, or need to, judge the hearts of others. Clearly that is for God alone.

What I was saying is that I know people who say they 'believe in God and that Jesus was his Son', but also deny the need for anything more....I'm not judging...I know these people...we've had conversations.

I just think that it's important to try and clarify what 'believing in Christ' really means. I'm afraid too often people think just because they 'believe' in Jesus and go to Church on Easter and Christmas, that they're cool with God. [SIZE=11pt]I think that they need to know that when we believe....truly, fully and biblically believe in Jesus Christ, we believe in what he preached....who he was, why he came, what he told us.[/SIZE]
You may know that, and I may know that....but do the people who still desperately need him know that?

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
Rach said:
Sigh. You know...I think you and I must be on a different wavelength, as everything I say seems to be interpreted in a different way by you. :p

No....I am not saying we should, or need to, judge the hearts of others. Clearly that is for God alone.

What I was saying is that I know people who say they 'believe in God and that Jesus was his Son', but also deny the need for anything more....I'm not judging...I know these people...we've had conversations.

I just think that it's important to try and clarify what 'believing in Christ' really means. I'm afraid too often people think just because they 'believe' in Jesus and go to Church on Easter and Christmas, that they're cool with God. [SIZE=11pt]I think that they need to know that when we believe....truly, fully and biblically believe in Jesus Christ, we believe in what he preached....who he was, why he came, what he told us.[/SIZE]
You may know that, and I may know that....but do the people who still desperately need him know that?
Hope I have not misrepresented you.

I have said that to be saved one needs to believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. That is what I present. And that is what I ask them.

When you use terms such as 'truly, fully and biblically' it has the appearance that you want to add to the simple belief in Jesus Christ.

Belief is all that is required, but it is required. Not just saying it.

Im not going to worry about if someone is lying to me about what they believe. If they are lying to me about what they believe, then they are not saved. Thats their problem. But it remains that belief in Christ as the Son of God is all I see as neccessary for salvation.

Quantrill

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Dodo_David said:
I occasionally read claims that certain requirements must be met in order for a person to go to Heaven.

For example, I read a bumper sticker which claimed, "No Catholic Church = No Salvation".

In another medium, someone claimed that Christians will go to Hell if they don't believe the controversial doctrine of "Once saved always saved."

Elsewhere, I read the claim that a person who has confessed saving faith in Jesus must also obey the commandments of the Old Testament in order to go to Heaven.

If someone were to ask you for the requirements for Heaven, then how would you reply?
Would you include any of the above-stated claims in your reply?
Lol, many crazy Christians out there. I would like to see scripture and verses from them.

If we are babies or mentally handicapped we have met the immediate requirements for heaven and get tested another day. Just as the people in the millennium will Rev 20:7. God is good and just, not dumb and evil.

As adults, we need to listen to 1 Cor 11:31 But if we judged ourselves rightly, we would not be judged. Anyone who judges themselves and fearfully works out their salvation before God Phil 2:12 with a truthful / right heart will be after the heart of God (as David was) and a stone throw away from accepting Jesus (as those in Abraham's bosom were) / having Jesus 'being Lord' revealed to them 1 Cor 2:10 and 1 Cor 12:3. Only being 'in-Christ' gets us into heaven. That is certainly possible in any Christian denomination or by any truly devout Muslim or Buddhist getting saved / meeting Christ on their deathbed, if not earlier.