What should we expect during these times of the Gentiles?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am reprinting this from another thread because there it only addresses the one issue of salvation--which is huge. But the principle is all encompassing, so I wanted to address it head on instead of as an aside.

Please start here by reading about the principle as it applies to salvation, then we'll break from the salvation issue to discuss the greater problem. The text addressing the root of the problem is in bold:

Context.

Paul does not say he is free, but a prisoner--he was a priest of the old order not yet fully free in Christ. Does that make him unworthy to preach any less than John the Baptists or any of the apostles before receiving the Holy Spirit? Having received the Holy Spirit, does he even yet know all things? He said he did not. But that all raises a multitude of questions--I get that. But the answer and the truth are not misrepresented, only misunderstood in full. And no, I do not accuse Paul, except that it would be wrong to assume that he had arrived when he said he had not. Again this does not change the truth--but it does define the context, and this you are not taking into account.

Paul and the rest of the apostles--the authors of the New Testament scriptures including the ones you consider prooftexts, were born in the former age before salvation had come, lived on the cusp, preached to those of the Jews who were subject to the same issues of those times and that evil generation, and they died about the time that some of the promises of Christ were just coming to fruition. In fact, one might go so far as to say that "all truth" as promised by Christ had already come to them--but it cannot be said that they preached it or successfully conveyed it to the church, as it is obvious we still suffer from the lack thereof.

What was still present during those times must decrease, but all truth must increase.

So, we who see things as we do, which would appear against those scriptures--we do not disagree with you. But we have heard further on the matter, just as it was suppose to occur during these times as arranged by Christ--not that we should even agree, but that we should also expect the sword He also promised. This I do not say against the scriptures, but for them, not just part but all, which I have just eluded to. But also with the precedence that Paul, who began to reveal long obscure mysteries, did so even appearing to be against the other apostles--just as we now appear to be against you our brothers, but are not. And now, like Peter who acknowledged that much of what Paul preached was hard to understand--you have a choice to cut off the ears of those who oppose you, or understand that this was to be, and that it is better to acknowledge that some "press on" with things difficult to understand--even if you do not, not because they are wrong, but because these things that were before mysteries were not to be revealed until these times in accordance with the promises of Christ.​

So, as Christians living and serving in these times of the gentiles, i.e, during the times of Jesus bringing forth His "other sheep" of this other "fold" of the gentiles...it's not that those things that directly addressed Israel and the first "fold" which Christ was to bring, do not have value even to us. But rather, that we should "expect" (hence the thread title) things to be somewhat different. And of course they are. I mean, so different that Jesus very clearly stated, “I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel”, referring to the gentiles as "little dogs!" To which the Canaanite women He was speaking to, replied, “Yes, Lord, yet even the little dogs eat the crumbs which fall from their masters’ table.”

So...the problem is...the scriptures were largely for Israel...and except for much of what Paul wrote specifically to the gentiles--we are left with the crumbs!

Or are we?

I would say, No. But we do very much suffer from a context problem--and just as Jesus was very forthright in putting the Canaanite women in her place...we should know better than to help ourselves to Israel's food during these times. And--Yes, many things spoken to them do apply to us all. But then why this division between we "little dogs" and Israel, until we are made one in Christ?

Well...for the specifics, I recommend paying close attention to the things that Paul spoke directed to the gentiles. And I would point out that it is this very difference for which he counseled "rightly dividing the word of truth." That is--dividing what actually pertains to this fold of the gentiles, from that which was specifically for Israel. I have said it before, and I will say it again-- It would not be a bad idea to go through and highlight in the scriptures what pertains to each of the two groups, each in a different color...rightly dividing them.

Then what?

Then...it is we the gentiles...who live in the times when Jesus foretold of so many wonderful things:
  • John 14:16
    And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever—
  • Revelation 3:20
    Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.
...Just to name a few!​

Meanwhile...we should also expect there to be arguments between us when some are not "rightly dividing the word of truth" accordingly. Thus, Jesus foretold, “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword." Matthew 10:34

But it need not be so...for He also promised:
  • However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth. John 16:13

Last edited: