What Spirit did God pour out on all flesh?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Numbers 16:21-22
[21] Separate yourselves from among this congregation, that I may consume them in a moment. [22] And they fell upon their faces, and said, O God, the God of the spirits of all flesh, shall one man sin, and wilt thou be wroth with all the congregation?

the question is concerning Joel and Acts which tells us of a time God would pour out His Spirit on all flesh: Joel 2:28-29 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: [29] And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

Acts 2:16-18
[16] But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; [17] And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: [18] And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

What Spirit did God pour out on all flesh:
There is a spirit of bondage and fear...Exodus 6:9 And Moses spake so unto the children of Israel: but they hearkened not unto Moses for anguish of spirit, and for cruel bondage.

Or the Spirit of adoption? Romans 8:14-16
[14] For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. [15] For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. [16] The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

When God poured out His Spirit on all flesh did some receive the spirit of bondage again to fear ...and some the Spirit of Adoption?

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Reactions: Waiting on him

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP only.
Joel 2:28 "And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:
Joel 2:29 "And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

VJ, Notice, "spirit" here in Joel is with the small case "s" in spirit........... :)
Joel said "God" was going to pour out his "spirit", but in Acts 2:33 who did the poured out?

what do that tells us?.

PICJAG.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Numbers 16:21-22
[21] Separate yourselves from among this congregation, that I may consume them in a moment. [22] And they fell upon their faces, and said, O God, the God of the spirits of all flesh, shall one man sin, and wilt thou be wroth with all the congregation?

the question is concerning Joel and Acts which tells us of a time God would pour out His Spirit on all flesh: Joel 2:28-29 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: [29] And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.

Acts 2:16-18
[16] But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; [17] And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: [18] And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

What Spirit did God pour out on all flesh:
There is a spirit of bondage and fear...Exodus 6:9 And Moses spake so unto the children of Israel: but they hearkened not unto Moses for anguish of spirit, and for cruel bondage.

Or the Spirit of adoption? Romans 8:14-16
[14] For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. [15] For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. [16] The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

When God poured out His Spirit on all flesh did some receive the spirit of bondage again to fear ...and some the Spirit of Adoption?

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
'and when he is come he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness and of judgement: of sin, because they believe not on me; of righteousness, because I go to the father, and ye see me no more; of judgement, because the prince of this world is judged'....Jesus. John 16:8-10

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Spirit. The gift of the Holy Spirit = the Holy Spirit in Acts 2:38.

John 20:21-24 KJV
[21] Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you. [22] And when he had said this, he breathed on them , and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: [23] Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained. [24] But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.

Why did He breathe on them, saying receive the Holy Spirit... except Thomas who wasnt with them. And then later, the outpouring of the Spirit?

John 7:37-39
[37] In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. [38] He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. [39] (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given ; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

“...which they that believe on him should receive: ...”

I guess the question is not all receive the Spirit of adoption; of Peace, love and a sound mind. But does all flesh have the power but reject Him? Why do some retain the spirit of bondage to fear?

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottA

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well the answer should be obvious, should it not. God poured out His Holy Spirit upon all flesh so that those who obeyed the Gospel would receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

And it is only by the Spirit that sinners are regenerated. Then they are indwelt and sealed by the Spirit, and they are to walk in the Spirit. "The Spirit of adoption" means that those who have the Spirit within are not only born of the Spirit but declared to be heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ.

The term *adoption* in Scripture does not mean the same thing as the common definition of adoption. Since believers are actual children of God, their *adoption* indicates their special position in Christ -- as heirs of God.

The *spirit of bondage* is the condemnation and guilt that is the experience of those who believe that outward rituals are sufficient to have fellowship with God.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 12:7 "But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

1 Corinthians 12:8 "For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; {this is the Pastoral gift}

1 Corinthians 12:9 "To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

1 Corinthians 12:10 "To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:{the tongues was the gift and the the interpretation of tongues was what was poured out on Pentecost}

1 Corinthians 12:11 "But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

all of these are the seven Gifts/Spirits that are before his throne. the one in the same Spirit, the Lord JESUS.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
[21] Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you. [22] And when he had said this, he breathed on them , and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost: [23] Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained. [24] But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.

Why did He breathe on them, saying receive the Holy Spirit... except Thomas who wasnt with them. And then later, the outpouring of the Spirit?

[37] In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. [38] He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. [39] (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given ; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

I guess the question is not all receive the Spirit of adoption; of Peace, love and a sound mind. But does all flesh have the power but reject Him? Why do some retain the spirit of bondage to fear?
I am careful how I interpret the Spirit texts because I understand the Spirit was given to individuals in the old testament as well. Different manifestations but the same Spirit....The Spirit of oneness with God that encourages, reproves, gives insight, strength to overcome or speak and comfort. Daniel and his three friends are a case in point.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When the curtain was torn, the spirit and power of God was allowed to come forth upon all for the first time since the fall of all mankind...but indiscriminately. At that time and at once, good believing men did not live, but evil and unbelieving men die, as all would have died up until that time. Therefore, the spirit of God came upon all...as they were. And living in that same time when God's spirit has been poured out upon all flesh since Pentecost, we too have been given the power to do good, or to do evil - not of the spirit past on to us from birth from Adam, but from God - and yet without holy birth. "In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest." 1 John 3:10 For this reason Christ preached that we must be born again of the spirit of God.

In other words, these are the times which Christ foretold, "such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be." But men have not known nor have they understood the signs of the times.

Last edited:
D

Dave L

Regeneration is a result of receiving the Holy Spirit. The baptism of the Holy Spirit is the result of repentance.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When the curtain was torn, the spirit and power of God was allowed to come forth upon all for the first time since the fall of all mankind...but indiscriminately. At that time and at once, good believing men did not live, but evil and unbelieving men die, as all would have died up until that time. Therefore, the spirit of God came upon all...as they were. And living in that same time when God's spirit has been poured out upon all flesh since Pentecost, we too have been given the power to do good, or to do evil - not of the spirit past on to us from birth from Adam, but from God - and yet without holy birth. "In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest." 1 John 3:10 For this reason Christ preached that we must be born again of the spirit of God.

In other words, these are the times which Christ foretold, "such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be." But men have not known nor have they understood the signs of the times.

Psalm 68:18-20
[18] Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive: thou hast received gifts for men; yea, for the rebellious also, that the Lord God might dwell among them . [19] Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation. Selah. [20] He that is our God is the God of salvation; and unto God the Lord belong the issues from death.

Reactions: ScottA

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am careful how I interpret the Spirit texts because I understand the Spirit was given to individuals in the old testament as well. Different manifestations but the same Spirit....The Spirit of oneness with God that encourages, reproves, gives insight, strength to overcome or speak and comfort. Daniel and his three friends are a case in point.

Ephesians 5:13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.

We should be careful. Proverbs 30:5-6
[5] Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. [6] Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It is certainly clear that Christ's breathing on the disciples and saying "Receive ye the Holy Ghost", (John 20:23), was not the giving of the Holy Ghost in (Acts 2) for He tells them again in (Acts 1:8) "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you:..."

I believe this giving of the Holy Spirit in (John) is the same as the Holy Spirit given to certain ones in the Old Testament. Jesus as the God/Man had authority to give the Spirit. The question remains as to the purpose of the giving of the Holy Spirit in (Acts 2), or the difference. There must have been a difference.

I believe Andrew Murray was correct in his book "The Spirit of Christ" in identifying this difference. He cites (John 7:38-39). "He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water. (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)"

Andrew Murray points out that the word 'given' in (39) is not in the original. And instead of helping he believes it takes away from the real meaning. It reads without the word 'given' as "the Holy Ghost was not yet". He goes on to say, "Likewise, the Spirit of God poured out at Pentecost was indeed something new. Through the Old Testament He was always called the Spirit of God or the Spirit of the Lord; the name of the Holy Spirit He did not yet bear as his own proper name. It is only in connection with the work He has to do in preparing the way for Christ, and a body for Him, that the proper name comes into use (Luke 1:15,35).

"When poured out at Pentecost, He came as the Spirit of the glorified Jesus, the Spirit of the incarnate, crucified and exalted Christ,....not of the life of God as such, but of that life as it had been interwoven into human nature in the person of Christ Jesus....Of this Spirit, as He dwelt in Jesus in the flesh and can dwell in us in the flesh too, it is distinctly and literally true; the Holy Spirit was not yet. The Spirit of the glorified Jesus; the Son of man become the Son of God--He could not be until Jesus was glorified." (The Spirit of Christ, Andrew Murray, Bethany Fellowship, 1979, p.38)

Stranger

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.” (Joel 2:28, 29)

In answer to the question: What Spirit did God pour out on all flesh?

At present nothing, the spirit has not been pour out on all flesh at this time, but only upon the Lord's servants and handmaids, that is upon the Church at this time, "those days" being in reference to the Gospel age.

"Afterward", that is after the Gospel age (during the Millennial age), after the Church has been gathered to her Lord and glorified, then shall the Lord pour out his spirit on all flesh.

As is the custom of God to hide the truth, both form the true Church as well as from the “worldly wise”, (i.e., the Nominal church) until the “due time” for its understanding, often times in symbols, parables, and or dark (hidden) sayings and etc., so likewise it appears to be the divine intention here in Joel’s prophecy.

However the hiding or concealment here consists not in stating matters in symbols or in dark sayings, but in stating the facts in reverse order, that is stating the first fulfillment last, and the last first. And such is God's custom: He gave the natural seed of Abraham and its promises first and the spiritual and chief seed last; yet in the full completion of his plan, the spiritual seed must be glorified before the natural can have its promises fulfilled (Heb 11:40).

For a further examination of this prophecy please see, The Spirit Poured upon All Flesh.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 12:7 "But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

1 Corinthians 12:8 "For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; {this is the Pastoral gift}

1 Corinthians 12:9 "To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

1 Corinthians 12:10 "To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:{the tongues was the gift and the the interpretation of tongues was what was poured out on Pentecost}

1 Corinthians 12:11 "But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

all of these are the seven Gifts/Spirits that are before his throne. the one in the same Spirit, the Lord JESUS.
We all need to be very clear that this whole epistle is a loving rebuke,from brother Paul. Those seeking self edification or self glorification drink down dambnation. The gifts of the Spirit are to profit withal. A tree doesn’t eat its own fruit.