What Was Jesus Like?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The N.T. gives us some clues as to how Jesus behaved and acted.
It gives us a clue into His character and personality.

What was Jesus like in your opinion?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thats not an easy question because he could have drastic mood swings. He loved his disciples and calked them his friends (and showed it at times) but then could sharply and harshly rebuke them. He was a friend of publicans and sinners but rarely was kind to the pharisees because of their self righteousness and lack of compassion.
His relationship with nicodemus confuses me most. He was pretty patient with this man who followed him by night (i take that to mean he was scared to identify with him).
I perceive he had a sense of humor at times (i believe he was ribbing Nathaneal in John 1:46-47).

In short, he was like a wise and loving dad, he was like the Father and he was like a protective big brother.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

That sounds a little bit like a trap to me...with no "right" answer!
Been there done that.

I just read a moment ago you telling us that you weren't interested in anyones "opinions" but just bible verse quotes. ;)

In the Thread :-
"Jesus is a human being but not the one true God"

GodsGrace said-
Post #188 Quote:-
"Well, to be perfectly frank, I don't care to much for person's personal opinions.
If they have something to say it must be from the word of God."

=

Last edited:
Reactions: prashanthd and FHII

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Thats not an easy question because he could have drastic mood swings. He loved his disciples and calked them his friends (and showed it at times) but then could sharply and harshly rebuke them. He was a friend of publicans and sinners but rarely was kind to the pharisees because of their self righteousness and lack of compassion.
His relationship with nicodemus confuses me most. He was pretty patient with this man who followed him by night (i take that to mean he was scared to identify with him).
I perceive he had a sense of humor at times (i believe he was ribbing Nathaneal in John 1:46-47).

In short, he was like a wise and loving dad, he was like the Father and he was like a protective big brother.
Yes, He was a righteous man.
He cried for Jerusalem.
He was sad for Martha and Mary.
He was mad at the tree with no figs
And at the moneychangers on temple grounds.

He knew the righteousness of God...
Let him without sin cast the first stone...
Give to Caeser what is caeser's
And to God what is God's.

He trusted God Father and spoke words from the OT to Satan in the desert.

Reactions: amadeus

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Don't we all want to be like Jesus?

Jesus was a good listener, He was always questioning and watching.

He ate with sinners, prostitutes, tax collectors and all the dregs of society and didn't care what the religious thought of Him. He also ate with the Pharisees, Jesus loves them too. He and the Pharisees loved God but in different ways and Jesus wanted to show them the love of the Father but they couldn't even write down God's name.

Even at 12 years old, Jesus was about His Father's business, and that didn't change as he grew older. In the temple, He listened to the teachers and asked them questions and when He healed the man at Bethesda, He asked him, "Do you want to be made well?"

God still asks questions, to you, and He listens for the answer and learns how to be a Father to you. All His sons and daughters have different needs.

breathofdesire

Sep 12, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Actually throughout the four gospels you can see the dynamic character Jesus was. I could name so many characteristics, but it would only be a short list. To sum him up in one word or a brief post would diminish that character you can see printed all over the bible.

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India

:D
This question and some of the above posts remind me of the English class in college days where the Lecturer use to discuss the characters of the prescribed novel. I've finished such college many years back.

Bible is not a book written in that manner. Bible tells me that Jesus was Word of God in flesh and he was, is, and would continue to remain God. I ask God what Jesus was like? And God tells me through The Bible that HE WAS RIGHTEOUS. In case we need to know more, we have to pray to God for wisdom.

Any attempt for personal opinion on God would always be worthless and futile.

All glory to God.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Actually throughout the four gospels you can see the dynamic character Jesus was. I could name so many characteristics, but it would only be a short list. To sum him up in one word or a brief post would diminish that character you can see printed all over the bible.
I agree.

But in order to be LIKE Him,
don't we need to know what He was like?

Reactions: Nancy

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I'm not sure what you mean GG, can you elaborate a little.
I'm not saying that YOU don't know what Jesus is like, since you said you do.
Here's what you said:

I guess I was hoping you would have listed some of those characteristics.
If we know what Jesus was like, we could emmulate Him.
If we have no idea what He was like, HOW do we follow Him and BE like Him?
This is all I meant.

For instance:

o We know He was very strong willed.
o We know He faced satan and answered him with the words from the bible, which means that it would behoove us to know the bible and what it says.
o We know He was not afraid of anything even if it meant going to His Death.
o We know He was loyal to His friends.
o We know He was merciful and wished to cure and feed.

etc...

Reactions: Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure what you mean GG, can you elaborate a little.
I am not GG or @GodsGrace , but consider these verses:

"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." Matt 7:22-23

These people knew something and thought they knew Jesus, but He did not KNOW them. It was a critical lack was it not. How could they be assured of ending up not in that group but rather this group...?

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." Matt 7:21

It would seem that knowing His will and doing it is infinitely more important than prophesying and casting our devils and doing other wonderful works.

How do we get to know what we need to know? Perhaps by simply putting first things first:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

Afterword: It seems that GG was posting an answer even as I was writing this. Well some good and more's better? or?

Reactions: Nancy and pia

breathofdesire

Sep 12, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm not saying that YOU don't know what Jesus is like, since you said you do.
Here's what you said:

I guess I was hoping you would have listed some of those characteristics.
If we know what Jesus was like, we could emmulate Him.
If we have no idea what He was like, HOW do we follow Him and BE like Him?
This is all I meant.

For instance:

o We know He was very strong willed.
o We know He faced satan and answered him with the words from the bible, which means that it would behoove us to know the bible and what it says.
o We know He was not afraid of anything even if it meant going to His Death.
o We know He was loyal to His friends.
o We know He was merciful and wished to cure and feed.

etc...
So you're looking for Jesus attributes, and you really want me to tell you.

Well I read from the Bible that he was

Obedient
Compassionate
Gentle
Kind
Loving
Charitable
Friendly
Wise
Non judgemental
Serving
Sacrificing
Faithful
Intelligent
Supportive
Peaceful

There you go, if I remember any more I'll add them.

breathofdesire

Sep 12, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am not GG or @GodsGrace , but consider these verses:

"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." Matt 7:22-23

These people knew something and thought they knew Jesus, but He did not KNOW them. It was a critical lack was it not. How could they be assured of ending up not in that group but rather this group...?

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." Matt 7:21

It would seem that knowing His will and doing it is infinitely more important than prophesying and casting our devils and doing other wonderful works.

How do we get to know what we need to know? Perhaps by simply putting first things first:

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

Afterword: It seems that GG was posting an answer even as I was writing this. Well some good and more's better? or?
No you did good, I don't think I can answer your question.

Sorry.

Reactions: amadeus

breathofdesire

Sep 12, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So you're looking for Jesus attributes, and you really want me to tell you.

Well I read from the Bible that he was

Obedient
Compassionate
Gentle
Kind
Loving
Charitable
Friendly
Wise
Non judgemental
Serving
Sacrificing
Faithful
Intelligent
Supportive
Peaceful

There you go, if I remember any more I'll add them.

Continued:

Protective
Brotherly
Enduring
Helpful
Committed
Thoughtful
Guiding
Content

Reactions: GodsGrace

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My opinion...and this is just my opinion...I think Jesus Christ in His family life was miserable. I believe Joseph wouldn't have shown much affection to Him for obvious reasons. He would have done his obvious duty but still, Jesus was not his and he knew it. And I believe Jesus other brothers knew it due to Josephs lack of affection. I believe Jesus endured much suffering in His early years long before He entered His public ministry.

Stranger

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Shouldnt the topic be " what is Jesus like" shouldnt all that learning teach you such things, of course you could just ask him than you would know.

Reactions: Pisteuo

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Happy, joyful, cheery, fun, powerful, forgiving, compassionate, loving, gentle, peaceful, encouraging, helpful, kind, all kinds of greatness & goodness.

Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Shouldnt the topic be " what is Jesus like" shouldnt all that learning teach you such things, of course you could just ask him than you would know.
Have YOU not learned anything?
Is this why you don't know what He's like??
Jesus said the first will be last and the last will be first.
I do believe you believe you're one of the first.

Reactions: Truth

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Happy, joyful, cheery, fun, powerful, forgiving, compassionate, loving, gentle, peaceful, encouraging, helpful, kind, all kinds of greatness & goodness.
Amen.
And this is how we should be, as best as possible.