What was tithing?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
I would like to begin a study on tithing in an attempt to better understand what the tithe really was.

Tithe simply means "ten", or "tenth". Whether that means 10%, or the tenth member of a cardinal sequence (e.g., 1, 2, 3, ... 10), or both, remains to be seen. Whatever it was, the tenth was holy to GOD:

And all the tithe of the land, [whether] of the seed of the land, [or] of the fruit of the tree, [is] the LORD'S: [it is] holy unto the LORD. Leviticus 27:30
As most of us know, many religious leaders today define the tithe as being 10% of gross income, i.e., an income tax. The scriptures, though, paint a different picture. In the law, the tithe is always described as being the tenth of the increase from the field, i.e., crops and livestock. There were many income producing professions in ancient Israel, but there is no scriptural evidence that any of those who worked in them were ever required to 'pay tithes'.

In light of these facts, it can be inferred that the tithe honored GOD for giving the increase. In other words, men labored, but GOD gave the increase. Making a tree produce fruit is something no man can do, and glorifies GOD.

Apart from this economy, men labored and were owed wages. Since there was no increase from GOD, no tithe was required.

It also is important to point out that the concept of income tax is a modern innovation.

Reactions: jiggyfly

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
HeRoseFromTheDead said:
I would like to begin a study on tithing in an attempt to better understand what the tithe really was.

Tithe simply means "ten", or "tenth". Whether that means 10%, or the tenth member of a cardinal sequence (e.g., 1, 2, 3, ... 10), or both, remains to be seen. Whatever it was, the tenth was holy to GOD:

As most of us know, many religious leaders today define the tithe as being 10% of gross income, i.e., an income tax. The scriptures, though, paint a different picture. In the law, the tithe is always described as being the tenth of the increase from the field, i.e., crops and livestock. There were many income producing professions in ancient Israel, but there is no scriptural evidence that any of those who worked in them were ever required to 'pay tithes'.

In light of these facts, it can be inferred that the tithe honored GOD for giving the increase. In other words, men labored, but GOD gave the increase. Making a tree produce fruit is something no man can do, and glorifies GOD.

Apart from this economy, men labored and were owed wages. Since there was no increase from GOD, no tithe was required.

It also is important to point out that the concept of income tax is a modern innovation.

We own nothing in this world, it all belongs to the Creator God and so anything that you gain from using His earthly supplies and Him giving you the ability to prosper, we need to give back a portion to Him letting Him know, that we know Who and Where our success and supplies REALLY come from.... and it Ain't the hand of mortal man no matter how much they would like to take the credit!
Jesus is in the order of Melchezidec, Abraham paid tithes in all that God gave him victory over(put in his hands) Jacob gave a tenth and we are commanded in 1Cor. 16:1-3 to give BACK to God as He has Prospered us Each and every Week to be taken to Jerusalem our debtors for our salvation who suffer so that God could bring the gospel to the Gentiles as well. Had they not rejected Jesus to die on the cross, we would all be dead in our sins. If we partake of their spiritual blessings, it is our duty to give for their natural needs so that they can eat.
I do have to say it is shameful how those who claim to want to save souls and say they love Christ in the church will go to such lengths to claim that money is evil and that a man of God is a charletain if they receive offerings for their needs and for the Word of God to go forth to build up the temple of living Stones because they are saving their treasures for their own bellies. Yet they will gladly give to the hand of ungodly men for fund raisers to heal the disobedient with sorcery or to find a cure when they should be promoting Christ for their True healing.... but then they don't get to impress man or receive a pat on the back for giving secretly to the house of God now do they?

1 Cor 16:1-3
16:1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye.

2 Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.
3 And when I come, whomsoever ye shall approve by your letters, them will I send to bring your liberality unto Jerusalem.
KJV
Heb 6:20-7:16
20 Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
Hebrews 7
7:1 For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him;
2 To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace;

3 Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually.
4 Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils.{ARE YOU THE BLESSED SEED OF ABRAHAM IN CHRIST JESUS?]
5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:
6 But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.
7 And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.
8 And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.
9 And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.
10 For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.

11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?
12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.
13 For he of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which no man gave attendance at the altar.
14 For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.
15 And it is yet far more evident: for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,
16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the powe
KJV
Rom 15:27
27 It hath pleased them verily; and their debtors they are. For if the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things, their duty is also to minister unto them in carnal things.
KJV

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Abraham didn't pay a tithe; out of the gratitude of his heart he gave the tenth part of his war spoils to honor GOD who gave him the victory. It was not earned income.

Also, Jacob promised to give GOD the tenth of anything GOD gave to him (meaning the increase of the field), not 10% of anything he may have earned.

The argument that we are to tithe 10% of our income to religious leaders because Abraham and Jacob 'paid' tithes falls short because they also were circumcised and sacrificed animals to GOD. Are we to do the same? Hardly.

Nevertheless, I agree with you that it is good to give to the work of Christ.

But this [I say], He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, [so let him give]; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:6-7

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
The tithe that God implemented for the Hebrews with all of it's requirements was outlined in Deuteronomy 14:22-29

22 “You must set aside a tithe of your crops—one-tenth of all the crops you harvest each year.23 Bring this tithe to the designated place of worship—the place the Lord your God chooses for his name to be honored—and eat it there in his presence. This applies to your tithes of grain, new wine, olive oil, and the firstborn males of your flocks and herds. Doing this will teach you always to fear the Lord your God.24 “Now when the Lord your God blesses you with a good harvest, the place of worship he chooses for his name to be honored might be too far for you to bring the tithe.25 If so, you may sell the tithe portion of your crops and herds, put the money in a pouch, and go to the place the Lord your God has chosen.26 When you arrive, you may use the money to buy any kind of food you want—cattle, sheep, goats, wine, or other alcoholic drink. Then feast there in the presence of the Lord your God and celebrate with your household.27 And do not neglect the Levites in your town, for they will receive no allotment of land among you.28 “At the end of every third year, bring the entire tithe of that year’s harvest and store it in the nearest town.29 Give it to the Levites, who will receive no allotment of land among you, as well as to the foreigners living among you, the orphans, and the widows in your towns, so they can eat and be satisfied. Then the Lord your God will bless you in all your work.

Deut 14:22-29 (NLT)

Where is it recorded that Jacob actually gave or paid a tenth? Where is it recorded that Jesus or His disciples payed any tithes?

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
jiggyfly said:
Where is it recorded that Jacob actually gave or paid a tenth? Where is it recorded that Jesus or His disciples payed any tithes?
It isn't.

Income taxation is a modern idea, not a biblical one. Jesus earned a living as a carpenter, and the disciples by other means, but tithing on those incomes would have been contrary to the law. They were certainly free to give as much as they wanted however they wanted, but the law of tithing did not apply to them.

What I think is interesting is that there were no requirements for fishermen to tithe from their catch, nor for carpenters to tithe from any trees they cut down, despite the fact that both of these natural resources were provided by GOD.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:

Tithing is mentioned in the OT in connection with the support of the priestly class. The Levites were not allowed to engage in commerce as the rest of the tribes could do and thus their sources of income were restricted. In order to support them, a stipend or tithe was created. Additionally the tithe or offering was used to create and furnish the objects of worship. The first such object was the tabernacle in the desert, followed by the stone temples constructed by Solomon and Herod. Tithes and offerings were used to create and sustain the religious venues.

When Jesus and the apostles came along the purpose of tithing changed. No longer was the stone temple in Jerusalem the sole focus of worship. Jesus said that God would be worshipped everywhere. The temple in town wasn't the center of the religious universe either. We are told in the NT that our bodies are the temple of God/Holy Spirit. Finally it should be clearly noted that Paul and the other apostles had secular forms of income. They didn't rely completely upon donations to do the work of God. As a result, tithing no longer holds a place of importance in the New Testament church.

But men are not so generous as God, neither are they willing to allow their fellows the liberty that God intends.

Quite soon after the church became established as a legitimate form of religion in the Roman Empire, the purveyors of deceit and self-centered importance demanded a regular stipend and venue to practice their magic arts. It didn't matter that every single reference to giving in the NT had to do with support of the saints. Some were not doing well financially and others were downright impoverished. Donations were asked for and given among those who had the ability to pay. The money was then transported across the Empire to those who had need.

Every single gift requested and donated and delivered in the pages of the letters of the New Testament went to the support of the saints who were in need. None of it was used to develop real estate.

This is an important difference, a difference that escapes many who wish to justify the robbery of the saints today in the name of God for the purpose of building empty religious empires in the name, not of God, but of those carismatic men whose animal appeal hypnotizes the masses.

Tithing isn't mentioned in the New Testament because it isn't necessary OR REQUIRED OF GOD. But Jesus did say that we ought to love our neighbor as ourselves and thus indirectly vindicates giving for the sake of sustenance of those in need. People in need, not fat and happy leadership.

A personal testimony is necessary here. My pastor eats well and is overweight. He wears a size 40-42 waist band pant. The man does not need any money from me to sustain his bulbous frame. I don't put any in the basket. Zero dollars. Instead a portion of my payday goes to support a young married couple who are struggling. The young man has less than 5% body fat overall and his wife wears a size zero dress. My wife helps with their rent.

According to the Bible our spare change should be given to those in need, NOT to sustain fat cats in fancy buildings sitting upon expensive real estate. Our money is to support the true temple of God -people- not religious empires.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Tithing is mentioned in the OT in connection with the support of the priestly class. The Levites were not allowed to engage in commerce as the rest of the tribes could do and thus their sources of income were restricted. In order to support them, a stipend or tithe was created. Additionally the tithe or offering was used to create and furnish the objects of worship. The first such object was the tabernacle in the desert, followed by the stone temples constructed by Solomon and Herod. Tithes and offerings were used to create and sustain the religious venues.

When Jesus and the apostles came along the purpose of tithing changed. No longer was the stone temple in Jerusalem the sole focus of worship. Jesus said that God would be worshipped everywhere. The temple in town wasn't the center of the religious universe either. We are told in the NT that our bodies are the temple of God/Holy Spirit. Finally it should be clearly noted that Paul and the other apostles had secular forms of income. They didn't rely completely upon donations to do the work of God. As a result, tithing no longer holds a place of importance in the New Testament church.

But men are not so generous as God, neither are they willing to allow their fellows the liberty that God intends.

Quite soon after the church became established as a legitimate form of religion in the Roman Empire, the purveyors of deceit and self-centered importance demanded a regular stipend and venue to practice their magic arts. It didn't matter that every single reference to giving in the NT had to do with support of the saints. Some were not doing well financially and others were downright impoverished. Donations were asked for and given among those who had the ability to pay. The money was then transported across the Empire to those who had need.

Every single gift requested and donated and delivered in the pages of the letters of the New Testament went to the support of the saints who were in need. None of it was used to develop real estate.

This is an important difference, a difference that escapes many who wish to justify the robbery of the saints today in the name of God for the purpose of building empty religious empires in the name, not of God, but of those carismatic men whose animal appeal hypnotizes the masses.

Tithing isn't mentioned in the New Testament because it isn't necessary OR REQUIRED OF GOD. But Jesus did say that we ought to love our neighbor as ourselves and thus indirectly vindicates giving for the sake of sustenance of those in need. People in need, not fat and happy leadership.

A personal testimony is necessary here. My pastor eats well and is overweight. He wears a size 40-42 waist band pant. The man does not need any money from me to sustain his bulbous frame. I don't put any in the basket. Zero dollars. Instead a portion of my payday goes to support a young married couple who are struggling. The young man has less than 5% body fat overall and his wife wears a size zero dress. My wife helps with their rent.

According to the Bible our spare change should be given to those in need, NOT to sustain fat cats in fancy buildings sitting upon expensive real estate. Our money is to support the true temple of God -people- not religious empires.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...
Amen to that.

I will mention though that the Levites did participate in commerce and trades. They had their own cities and did whatever they wanted to sustain themselves. Approximately 4500 feet of land on each side of every Levitical city was theirs for pasturing and cultivation. That's almost a mile in any direction extending from each city wall. Depending upon the size of each city, that was conceivably as high as 3 sq.miles of agricultural land for their use. There were 48 Levitical cities, so the combined acreage they possessed for pasturing and cultivation could have been as high as nearly 140 sq. miles. This acreage is comparable to what both the tribes of Benjamin and Zebulon received.

Also, the Levites could be considered to have been part of the professional class in ancient Israel. They were teachers, judges, members of the Sanhedrin, builders, architects, musicians, singers, scribes, and law enforcement officers.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Came across this in 1 Corinthians16:1-4

The Collection for the Lord’s People

Now about the collection for the Lord’s people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do. 2 On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with your income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made. 3 Then, when I arrive, I will give letters of introduction to the men you approve and send them with your gift to Jerusalem. 4 If it seems advisable for me to go also, they will accompany me.

Not sure who "The Lords People" are .... but it sounds like they are in Jerusalem ...

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Arnie Manitoba said:
Came across this in 1 Corinthians16:1-4

The Collection for the Lord’s People

Now about the collection for the Lord’s people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do. 2 On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with your income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made. 3 Then, when I arrive, I will give letters of introduction to the men you approve and send them with your gift to Jerusalem. 4 If it seems advisable for me to go also, they will accompany me.

Not sure who "The Lords People" are .... but it sounds like they are in Jerusalem ...
That's obviously a deceitful translation engineered to foster the modern idea of tithing. The Greek word translated in keeping with your income really means helped along the way. So the real meaning of those verses is that every man should give as he purposes in his heart to help others as he also has been helped by GOD.

Reactions: jiggyfly

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
So tell me, how are those who labour in word to be kept? As the scriptures say:

Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward. 1Ti 5:17-18 - Deut 25:4

How and where does he pull this magical wage, if no-one tithes? Even the beast was allowed to nibble along the way to keep up strength as it laboured.

As stated by jiggyfly, but no-one payed attention to:

Deut 14:22 "You shall tithe all the yield of your seed that comes from the field year by year. ESV

So those who deny such a thing has effectively robbed God of what is rightfully his.

NB:10% is but the minimum; as Jesus said .... out of the abundance of our heart... . If what we are saying is any indication of our heart then there mustn't be any abundance within. Get my drift? Mark 12:44

However, no matter how little you may have, give something. Mark 12:43 "Widows mite."

The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.

"Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord,' and not do what I tell you? Luke 6:45-46

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
JB_Reformed Baptist said:

Deut 14:22 "You shall tithe all the yield of your seed that comes from the field year by year. ESV

So those who deny such a thing has effectively robbed God of what is rightfully his.
I think you weren't paying attention. Under the law, tithes were not based on earned wages. Tithing was only done on the agricultural increase that GOD gave; men were merely giving back to him a sanctified portion of what he had given them. Anyone who earned wages was exempt from tithing; 100% of earned income belonged to the laborer. Whatever he decided to give of that was his choice and business, but it was not required by law.

At some point I hope to address the other issues you raised.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
I think you weren't paying attention. Under the law, tithes were not based on earned wages. Tithing was only done on the agricultural increase that GOD gave; men were merely giving back to him a sanctified portion of what he had given them. Anyone who earned wages was exempt from tithing; 100% of earned income belonged to the laborer. Whatever he decided to give of that was his choice and business, but it was not required by law.

At some point I hope to address the other issues you raised.
I was paying attention. I see that whether you're paid a wage or you're a farmer, we give unto God what's God's... .

Where do you get the idea from in regards to wages and being a mass producer(farmer) and the tithe, is only for agricultural/mass production?

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
I was paying attention. I see that whether you're paid a wage or you're a farmer, we give unto God what's God's... .

Where do you get the idea from in regards to wages and being a mass producer(farmer) and the tithe, is only for agricultural/mass production?
I get my idea from the clearly stated law of the tithe in the bible.

A laborer works and is owed wages. A farmer works and is owed nothing! Whatever he receives for his labors is a gift of GOD. The tithe is returned to GOD to honor and glorify GOD the goodness of his giving. Earning of wages had nothing to do with the tithe.

This is a picture of Christ. We labor in the flesh and are owed the wages of sin, which is death. The free gift of GOD, however, is eternal life in Christ through faith.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
So tell me, how are those who labour in word to be kept? As the scriptures say:

Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward. 1Ti 5:17-18 - Deut 25:4

How and where does he pull this magical wage, if no-one tithes? Even the beast was allowed to nibble along the way to keep up strength as it laboured.

NB:10% is but the minimum; as Jesus said .... out of the abundance of our heart... . If what we are saying is any indication of our heart then there mustn't be any abundance within. Get my drift? Mark 12:44

However, no matter how little you may have, give something. Mark 12:43 "Widows mite."

The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.

"Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord,' and not do what I tell you? Luke 6:45-46
Where in the scriptures did Jesus say 10% is the minimum. Tithes in the old covenant between God and the nation of Israel were payed because it was owed, In the new testament were are instructed to give to others. Religion is an ugly money grubbing tyrant making up such rules as clergy/laity non-scriptural tithing and so on. Many christians today walk in bondage to a religious mixture of old and new, but Jesus said it won't work new wine doesn't keep in an old wine skin.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
jiggyfly said:
Where in the scriptures did Jesus say 10% is the minimum. Tithes in the old covenant between God and the nation of Israel were payed because it was owed, In the new testament were are instructed to give to others. Religion is an ugly money grubbing tyrant making up such rules as clergy/laity non-scriptural tithing and so on. Many christians today walk in bondage to a religious mixture of old and new, but Jesus said it won't work new wine doesn't keep in an old wine skin.
I appreciate your point of view. Many scammers fill christendom. However, how are the elders to survive and the poor and needy etc if no tithe is payed to God?

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I appreciate your point of view. Many scammers fill christendom. However, how are the elders to survive and the poor and needy etc if no tithe is payed to God?
It's all by the leading of HolySpirit, He is the government within the body which directs such things. This is why we read in Acts that the deacons that were to handle and deal out funds to widows and such of the money that was given were to be full of the HolySpirit.

The OC tithe has been so misrepresented and twisted in order to mandate NC believers. If one really trusts God as their source there's no need for such manipulations. But the carnal religious system is a separate entity in which God is not the source and outside the realm of HolySpirit's government so it must use such manipulations to stay functioning. But if one wants to belong to such a club they should pay the dues.

In Acts we read that the believer's shared what they had with each other so that none had lack. Much more relation and love was/is involved in this than one can find in the carnal religious system. Each one supplying and contributing makes for a healthy body. A prime example of how things work under HolySpirit's governing is in the first part of Acts.

42 All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper ), and to prayer.43 A deep sense of awe came over them all, and the apostles performed many miraculous signs and wonders.44 And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had.45 They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need.46 They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity —47 all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people. And each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved.
1[SIZE=.95em] Peter and John went to the Temple one afternoon to take part in the three o’clock prayer service.[/SIZE]2[SIZE=.95em] As they approached the Temple, a man lame from birth was being carried in. Each day he was put beside the Temple gate, the one called the Beautiful Gate, so he could beg from the people going into the Temple.[/SIZE]3[SIZE=.95em] When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for some money.[/SIZE]4 Peter and John looked at him intently, and Peter said, “Look at us!”5 The lame man looked at them eagerly, expecting some money.6 But Peter said, “I don’t have any silver or gold for you. But I’ll give you what I have. In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, get up and walk!”7 Then Peter took the lame man by the right hand and helped him up. And as he did, the man’s feet and ankles were instantly healed and strengthened.8 He jumped up, stood on his feet, and began to walk! Then, walking, leaping, and praising God, he went into the Temple with them.
Acts 2:42-3:8 (NLT)

Noticed the people had such generosity that they sold their possessions and shared the money with the others, then read on, Peter ran into a cripple on his way to evangelize at Herod's temple and informs him that he had no money to give him. I don't see anywhere in the NC scriptures where elders are to be paid an annual salary.
I can see no reason why a pastor of a local flock cannot work like everyone else, now I do see the necessity of support with those who evangelize far away as some missionaries do but don't mistake that with what is commonly called missionary work.

Most "pastors" within the religious system think that ten faithful tithers = one salary.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
jiggyfly said:
It's all by the leading of HolySpirit, He is the government within the body which directs such things. This is why we read in Acts that the deacons that were to handle and deal out funds to widows and such of the money that was given were to be full of the HolySpirit.

The OC tithe has been so misrepresented and twisted in order to mandate NC believers. If one really trusts God as their source there's no need for such manipulations. But the carnal religious system is a separate entity in which God is not the source and outside the realm of HolySpirit's government so it must use such manipulations to stay functioning. But if one wants to belong to such a club they should pay the dues.

In Acts we read that the believer's shared what they had with each other so that none had lack. Much more relation and love was/is involved in this than one can find in the carnal religious system. Each one supplying and contributing makes for a healthy body. A prime example of how things work under HolySpirit's governing is in the first part of Acts.

42 All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper ), and to prayer.43 A deep sense of awe came over them all, and the apostles performed many miraculous signs and wonders.44 And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had.45 They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need.46 They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity —47 all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people. And each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved.
1[SIZE=.95em] Peter and John went to the Temple one afternoon to take part in the three o’clock prayer service.[/SIZE]2[SIZE=.95em] As they approached the Temple, a man lame from birth was being carried in. Each day he was put beside the Temple gate, the one called the Beautiful Gate, so he could beg from the people going into the Temple.[/SIZE]3[SIZE=.95em] When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for some money.[/SIZE]4 Peter and John looked at him intently, and Peter said, “Look at us!”5 The lame man looked at them eagerly, expecting some money.6 But Peter said, “I don’t have any silver or gold for you. But I’ll give you what I have. In the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene, get up and walk!”7 Then Peter took the lame man by the right hand and helped him up. And as he did, the man’s feet and ankles were instantly healed and strengthened.8 He jumped up, stood on his feet, and began to walk! Then, walking, leaping, and praising God, he went into the Temple with them.
Acts 2:42-3:8 (NLT)

Noticed the people had such generosity that they sold their possessions and shared the money with the others, then read on, Peter ran into a cripple on his way to evangelize at Herod's temple and informs him that he had no money to give him. I don't see anywhere in the NC scriptures where elders are to be paid an annual salary.
I can see no reason why a pastor of a local flock cannot work like everyone else, now I do see the necessity of support with those who evangelize far away as some missionaries do but don't mistake that with what is commonly called missionary work.

Most "pastors" within the religious system think that ten faithful tithers = one salary.
You know what they say? "Anyone convinced against their will is of the same opinion, still."

Axehead

May 9, 2012
I get my idea from the clearly stated law of the tithe in the bible.

A laborer works and is owed wages. A farmer works and is owed nothing! Whatever he receives for his labors is a gift of GOD. The tithe is returned to GOD to honor and glorify GOD the goodness of his giving. Earning of wages had nothing to do with the tithe.

This is a picture of Christ. We labor in the flesh and are owed the wages of sin, which is death. The free gift of GOD, however, is eternal life in Christ through faith.
Great post, CRFD.

I was in a large fellowship once where all the elders worked. When you have a plurality of elders who allow the church to function in meetings you don't have a need to pay many people with a full-time salary. When guests visited and labored in the word amongst us, we blessed them with a gift.

Sadly, Christendom has morphed into the Corporation model of salaries, insurance, cars, expense accounts, etc. Many men have been corrupted who in their early years wanted to serve the Lord, but in their latter years have found themselves as just administrators of a big corporation.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Axehead said:
Great post, CRFD.

I was in a large fellowship once where all the elders worked. When you have a plurality of elders who allow the church to function in meetings you don't have a need to pay many people with a full-time salary. When guests visited and labored in the word amongst us, we blessed them with a gift.

Sadly, Christendom has morphed into the Corporation model of salaries, insurance, cars, expense accounts, etc. Many men have been corrupted who in their early years wanted to serve the Lord, but in their latter years have found themselves as just administrators of a big corporation.
Yes indeed and I think the scriptures refer to them as hirelings.