What wonderful verses are these "Blessed are the"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What wonderful verses are these "Blessed are the..."

Matthew 5:1-12

And seeing the multitudes, He went up on a mountain, and when He was seated His disciples came to Him. Then He opened His mouth and taught them, saying: Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, For they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek, For they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled. Blessed are the merciful, For they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, For they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven. “Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree...

At the time Jesus said them they were very contrary to beliefs at that time.

Professional mourners were very popular.
So was getting violently angry when someone wronged you.

Meek...not really is the whole concept. It's about not getting so emotional over things.

Contrasted by "pure in heart" which is a reference for having passion for God.

I can spend days talking about these things.

But I agree...they are beautiful Aramaic Poetry...lousy Greek and worse English poetry...but still pithy and full of truth.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Josho
"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." John 16:33

These blessings are not just for some sweet later or hereafter time, but they are promises for here and now. Can we do what is necessary to receive each one? Alone we cannot and God knows that better that we do. Jesus knew that but He also knew what was in the works according to God's plan. Are we to be able to overcome and receive these blessings? Will we? Our choice! God has made a Way!

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God." Rev 2:7

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death." Rev 2:11

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it." Rev 2:17

"And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:" Rev 2:26

"He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels." Rev 3:5

"Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name." Rev 3:12

"To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne." Rev 3:21

Overcometh what? What did Jesus overcome? The world? Certainly not planet Earth for look around at the filth visible and practiced here...but:

"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever." I John 2:15-17

How do we not love the world and the things in the world, but by the power of God in us? The Holy Spirit... but then Paul warns us:

"Quench not the Spirit." I Thess 5:19

That means surrender always to the Holy Spirit letting the Holy Spirit always lead us. Our freewill to choose mammon rather than God remains in us drawing us always toward those things in the world which either are sin or lead us to sin. As they are overcome by the work of the Holy Spirit in us, we will be able to do those things written in Matthew 5 so as to also receive those blessings!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What wonderful verses are these "Blessed are the..."

Matthew 5:1-12

And seeing the multitudes, He went up on a mountain, and when He was seated His disciples came to Him. Then He opened His mouth and taught them, saying: Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, For they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek, For they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled. Blessed are the merciful, For they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, For they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven. “Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Amen! Jesus showing compassion on the multitudes, which reminds me of how we should live a Godly lifestyle.

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. John Fourteen:26

Love, Walter and Debbie