When did the RCC begin

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"When did the RCC begin?"
Originally posted by; Kevin Kissel
-
The Roman Catholic Church claims that the early Christians were all Roman Catholics, and that (aside from the Orthodox Church) all Christians were Roman Catholics until the Protestant Reformation. It claims that the Apostle Peter was the first Pope, ruling from Rome. It also claims that it gave us the Bible.
-
But do these claims stand up to the test of history? Or are they false credentials?
-
There is historical evidence that the Roman Catholic Church began with Emperor Constantine. Many Protestants believe that throughout Church history, there have been many true Christians who were not Catholics, and these Christians were often killed by the Catholic Church. They also believe that Peter was just one of the apostles, and that the Catholic Church only copied and preserved the Bible, which God had already given to us.
-
EMPEROR CONSTANTINE
-
On October 28, 312 A.D., the Roman Emperor Constantine met with Bishop Miltiades. (Catholics would later refer to him as Pope Miltiades. But at the time he was known as the Bishop of Rome.) Miltiades was assisted by Silvester, a Roman who spoke educated Latin, and acted as interpreter.
The previous day, Constantine had seen a sign in the heavens: a cross in front of the sun. He heard a voice say, "In this sign you will conquer." He painted crosses on the shields of his soldiers. He won an important battle, and was convinced that it was because of the power of the sign that he had seen. He asked for two of the nails that were used to crucify Jesus. One nail was made into a bit for
his horse. Another nail was made a part of his crown, signifying that Constantine ruled the Roman Empire in the name of Jesus. He allowed Miltiades to keep the third nail. Note 1
-
The fact that Constantine saw the cross and the sun together may explain why he worshiped the Roman sun god while at the same time professing to be a Christian. After his "conversion," Constantine built a triumphal arch featuring the Roman sun god (the "unconquered sun"). His coins featured the sun. Constantine made a statue of the sun god, with his own face on it, for his new city of Constantinople. He made Sunday (the day of the sun god) into a day of rest when work was forbidden. Note 2
-
Constantine declared that a mosaic of the Roman sun god (riding in a chariot) was a representation of Jesus. During Constantine's reign, many Christians incorporated worship of the Roman sun god into their religion. They prayed kneeling towards the east (where the sun rises). They said that Jesus Christ drives his chariot across the sky (like the Roman sun god). They had their worship services on Sunday, which honored the Roman sun god. (Days of the week were named to honor pagan gods. For example, Saturday is "Saturn's day," named for the Roman god Saturn.) They celebrated the birth of Jesus on December 25, the day when sun worshipers celebrated the birthday of the sun following the winter solstice. Note 3
-
Historians disagree as to whether or not Constantine actually became a Christian. His character certainly did not reflect the teachings of Jesus Christ. Constantine was vain, violent, and superstitious. His combination of worshiping the Christian God and the old Roman sun god may have been an attempt to cover all the bases. (A similar spirit can be seen in Americans who financially support both opposing candidates during an election. No matter who wins, they expect to have the favor of the person in power.) Constantine had little if any respect for human life. He was known for wholesale slaughter during his military campaigns. He forced prisoners of war to fight for their lives against wild beasts. He had several family members (including his second wife) executed for doubtful
reasons. Constantine waited until he was dying before he asked to be baptized. Historians disagree as to whether or not he actually was baptized. Note 4
-
Constantine wanted to have a state Church, with Christian clergy acting as civil servants. He called himself a Bishop. He said that he was the interpreter of the Word of God, and the voice which declares what is true and godly. According to historian Paul Johnson, Constantine saw himself as being an important agent of salvation, on a par with the apostles. Bishop Eusebius (Constantine's eulogist) relates that Constantine built the Church of the Apostles with the intention of having his body be kept there along with the bodies of the apostles. Constantine's coffin was to be in the center (the place of honor), with six apostles on each side of him. He expected that devotions honoring the apostles would be performed in the church, and he expected to share the title and honor of the apostles. Note 5
-
Constantine told Bishop Miltiades that he wanted to build two Christian basilicas, one dedicated to the Apostle Peter and one dedicated to the Apostle Paul. He offered a large, magnificent palace for the use of Miltiades and his successors. Miltiades refused. He could not accept the idea of having Christianity be promoted by the Roman Empire. Note 6
-
Constantine rode off to war. By the time that he returned in 314 A.D., Miltiades had died. Bishop Silvester was Miltiades' successor. Silvester was eager to have the Church be spread using Roman roads, Roman wealth, Roman law, Roman power, and Roman military might. Constantine officially approved of Silvester as the successor of Miltiades. Then he had a coronation ceremony for Silvester and crowned him like a worldly prince. No bishop had ever been crowned before. Note 7 Constantine's actions give the impression that he believed that he had authority over the Church.
-
Before Constantine's "conversion," Christians were persecuted. Now, instead of facing persecution, Bishop Silvester lived in the lap of luxury. He had a beautiful palace, with the finest furniture and art. He wore silk brocade robes. He had servants to wait on him. Near his palace was a basilica which was to serve as his cathedral. This luxurious building had seven altars made of gold, a canopy of solid silver above the main altar, and 50 chandeliers. The imperial mail system and transportation system were placed at Silvester's disposal. It was now possible to have worldwide church councils. Note 8
-
Read the Book of Acts and the Epistles and compare the Church shown there to the Church of Bishop Silvester. Here is how the Apostle Paul described the kinds of things that he had to endure, as a leader in the early Church.
-
"Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness." (2 Corinthians 11:24-27)
-
After Constantine's "conversion," the Church was radically changed. Suddenly, being Christian resulted in power, prestige, and promotion (whereas previously it had resulted in persecution). Suddenly, by the Emperor's decree, Christianity became "politically correct". So ambitious people joined the Church for worldly reasons. The Bishop of Rome was supported by the military might, political power, and wealth of the Roman Emperor. Worldwide church councils were convened.
-
This was the birth of the Roman Catholic Church. It was created in the year 314 A.D. by Emperor Constantine and Bishop Silvester. Note 9
-
Reference Notes:
-
1. Malachi Martin, "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Church" (New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1981), pages 31-33. A major theme of this book is the radical change which occurred in the Church as a result of Constantine. Malachi Martin recently died. He was a Catholic priest, a theologian, and a Vatican insider. He was the personal confessor of Pope John XXIII.
-
2. Paul Johnson, "A History of Christianity" (New York: Touchstone, Simon & Schuster, 1995), pages 67-68. Paul Johnson is a Catholic and a prominent historian.
-
3. Malachi Martin, "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Church," page 33; and Paul Johnson, "A History of Christianity," page 67. Information about the days of the week being named for pagan gods and goddesses can be found in a good dictionary. Look up each day of the week, and "Saturn". I used "Webster's Dictionary," 1941 edition, which gives the origins of words.
-
4. Paul Johnson, "A History of Christianity," pages 68-69.
-
5. Paul Johnson, "A History of Christianity," page 69.
-
6. Malachi Martin, "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Church," pages 33-34.
-
7. Malachi Martin, "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Church," pages 34-35.
-
8. James G. McCarthy, "The Gospel According to Rome" (Eugene, Oregon: Harvest House Publishers, 1995), pages 231-232. James McCarthy is a former Catholic
-
9. Mary Ann Collins
http://formercatholicsforchrist.com/maryancollins/index.htmlAnn Collins is a former Catholic nun
--------

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"When did the RCC begin?"
Originally posted by; Kevin Kissel
-
The Roman Catholic Church claims that the early Christians were all Roman Catholics, and that (aside from the Orthodox Church) all Christians were Roman Catholics until the Protestant Reformation. It claims that the Apostle Peter was the first Pope, ruling from Rome. It also claims that it gave us the Bible.
-
But do these claims stand up to the test of history? Or are they false credentials?
-
There is historical evidence that the Roman Catholic Church began with Emperor Constantine. Many Protestants believe that throughout Church history, there have been many true Christians who were not Catholics, and these Christians were often killed by the Catholic Church. They also believe that Peter was just one of the apostles, and that the Catholic Church only copied and preserved the Bible, which God had already given to us.
-
EMPEROR CONSTANTINE
-
On October 28, 312 A.D., the Roman Emperor Constantine met with Bishop Miltiades. (Catholics would later refer to him as Pope Miltiades. But at the time he was known as the Bishop of Rome.) Miltiades was assisted by Silvester, a Roman who spoke educated Latin, and acted as interpreter.
The previous day, Constantine had seen a sign in the heavens: a cross in front of the sun. He heard a voice say, "In this sign you will conquer." He painted crosses on the shields of his soldiers. He won an important battle, and was convinced that it was because of the power of the sign that he had seen. He asked for two of the nails that were used to crucify Jesus. One nail was made into a bit for
his horse. Another nail was made a part of his crown, signifying that Constantine ruled the Roman Empire in the name of Jesus. He allowed Miltiades to keep the third nail. Note 1
-
The fact that Constantine saw the cross and the sun together may explain why he worshiped the Roman sun god while at the same time professing to be a Christian. After his "conversion," Constantine built a triumphal arch featuring the Roman sun god (the "unconquered sun"). His coins featured the sun. Constantine made a statue of the sun god, with his own face on it, for his new city of Constantinople. He made Sunday (the day of the sun god) into a day of rest when work was forbidden. Note 2
-
Constantine declared that a mosaic of the Roman sun god (riding in a chariot) was a representation of Jesus. During Constantine's reign, many Christians incorporated worship of the Roman sun god into their religion. They prayed kneeling towards the east (where the sun rises). They said that Jesus Christ drives his chariot across the sky (like the Roman sun god). They had their worship services on Sunday, which honored the Roman sun god. (Days of the week were named to honor pagan gods. For example, Saturday is "Saturn's day," named for the Roman god Saturn.) They celebrated the birth of Jesus on December 25, the day when sun worshipers celebrated the birthday of the sun following the winter solstice. Note 3
-
Historians disagree as to whether or not Constantine actually became a Christian. His character certainly did not reflect the teachings of Jesus Christ. Constantine was vain, violent, and superstitious. His combination of worshiping the Christian God and the old Roman sun god may have been an attempt to cover all the bases. (A similar spirit can be seen in Americans who financially support both opposing candidates during an election. No matter who wins, they expect to have the favor of the person in power.) Constantine had little if any respect for human life. He was known for wholesale slaughter during his military campaigns. He forced prisoners of war to fight for their lives against wild beasts. He had several family members (including his second wife) executed for doubtful
reasons. Constantine waited until he was dying before he asked to be baptized. Historians disagree as to whether or not he actually was baptized. Note 4
-
Blah, blah, blah blah. . .
Don't you EVER tire of being publicly humiliated by being exposed for telling lies, myths and fairy tales?
Your entire "Constantine Founded the Catholic Church" is so comically bankrupt of an facts or documentation.

First of all - relying on a dissident Catholic (Martin) and an anti-Catholic (MacArthur) for your sources is as stupid as relying on Nazis to give you the "facts" about their concentration camps during Germany during WWII.

One thing you have to remember, sparky, is that the Roman Empire was just silly with documentation for nearly everything they did.
The Church is the SAME way about documentation. There is ZERO documented evidence for your asinine claim.

Another thing that you and other people who spread this lie forget to mention is that one of Constantine's motives for legalizing Christianity is that his MOTHER (St. Helena) was a Catholic. Her ossuary is at the Vatican and I've seen it.

ANY time you want to go toe-to-toe with me on this manure, you know where to find me.
I'd be delighted to publicly humiliate you again . . .

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't you EVER tire of being publicly humiliated by being exposed for telling lies, myths and fairy tales?
Your entire "Constantine Founded the Catholic Church" is so comically bankrupt of an facts or documentation.

First of all - relying on a dissident Catholic (Martin) and an anti-Catholic (MacArthur) for your sources is as stupid as relying on Nazis to give you the "facts" about their concentration camps during Germany during WWII.

One thing you have to remember, sparky, is that the Roman Empire was just silly with documentation for nearly everything they did.
The Church is the SAME way about documentation. There is ZERO documented evidence for your asinine claim.

Another thing that you and other people who spread this lie forget to mention is that one of Constantine's motives for legalizing Christianity is that his MOTHER (St. Helena) was a Catholic. Her ossuary is at the Vatican and I've seen it.

ANY time you want to go toe-to-toe with me on this manure, you know where to find me.
I'd be delighted to publicly humiliate you again . . .

So you are only interested in publicly humiliating me. Sounds like loving me doesn't it??? LOL Your thought of publicly humiliating me is in your mind only. I stand up for my beliefs and will do so as long as I live. You are just a gadfly to me.

To me, your saying what you do shows that the RCC hasn't taught you how to love others. I feel you are humiliating yourself.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So you are only interested in publicly humiliating me. Sounds like loving me doesn't it??? LOL Your thought of publicly humiliating me is in your mind only. I stand up for my beliefs and will do so as long as I live. You are just a gadfly to me.

To me, your saying what you do shows that the RCC hasn't taught you how to love others. I feel you are humiliating yourself.
No.
As I have stated on numerous occasions - I am here for ONE reason: To expose lies about the Catholic Church and those who spew them.

The hypocrisy around here from you anti-Catholics is astounding. You think it's "evil" and "un-Christian" for somebody to expose your lies - but it's NOT evil to spread those lies in the first place.

So, if you want to continue lying - I would be more than happy to expose your lies.
However - if you want to have a charitable conversation - I would be more than happy to engage in that as well.

The ball is in YOUR court . . .

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No.
As I have stated on numerous occasions - I am here for ONE reason: To expose lies about the Catholic Church and those who spew them.

The hypocrisy around here from you anti-Catholics is astounding. You think it's "evil" and "un-Christian" for somebody to expose your lies - but it's NOT evil to spread those lies in the first place.

So, if you want to continue lying - I would be more than happy to expose your lies.
However - if you want to have a charitable conversation - I would be more than happy to engage in that as well.

I am here to expose the false twisting of the scriptures. I have no reason to attack you personally as you do me and others. I write what I see in the scriptures. I do not find that rituals save anyone. Only faith in the work of Jesus on the cross where HE atoned for, paid for, all the sins of the world will save anyone. But you don't believe that do you? To you the only way to Heaven is in your church rituals. Show me where you have proof that the Pope is an extension of the 12. Also show me where your church teaches that Jesus has already paid for the sins of mankind and there is no need for mankind to pay for them. Mankind can do religion all they want to but it will not save them. The only way to Heaven is through the blood, not religion.

Reactions: mjrhealth

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am here to expose the false twisting of the scriptures. I have no reason to attack you personally as you do me and others. I write what I see in the scriptures. I do not find that rituals save anyone. Only faith in the work of Jesus on the cross where HE atoned for, paid for, all the sins of the world will save anyone. But you don't believe that do you? To you the only way to Heaven is in your church rituals. Show me where you have proof that the Pope is an extension of the 12. Also show me where your church teaches that Jesus has already paid for the sins of mankind and there is no need for mankind to pay for them. Mankind can do religion all they want to but it will not save them. The only way to Heaven is through the blood, not religion.
And this is a textbook example of a person who doesn't have a CLUE as to what Christ's Church is.
Allow me to educate you from Scripture . . .

- Jesus established ONE Church (Matt. 16:16-19). He prayed fervently that this Church remain ONE - as He and the Father are ONE (John 17:20-23). There is NO other.
- Jesus is Truth itself (John 14:6).
- Jesus promised His Church that the Holy Spirit would guide her to ALL Truth (John 16:12-15).
- The Church is the Pillar and Foundation of Truth (1 Tim. 3:15).
- The Church is the Body of Christ and He is the Head (1 Cor. 12:12-31, Eph. 4:3-6, Col. 1:8).
- The Church is the FULLNESS of Christ (Eph. 1:22-23).
- Jesus identifies His very SELF with His Church (Acts 9:4-5).
- Jesus gave the Church supreme Authority on earth and whatever it ordains on earth is also ordained in heaven (Matt. 16:18-19, 18:15-18, Luke 10:16, John 20:21-23).

We are saved BY the Blood of Christ - but we are saved THROUGH His Body, His Church.

Oh, as for the Pope being an "extension" of the Apostles - NOBODY is claiming that He is.
He us the Successor of Peter.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No.

So here is an interesting fact......this site was virtually free from ‘anticatholic’ sentiments before you started your one man crusade, BOL. Now, instead of disagreement of Catholic doctrine, there are so many hateful posts and threads around here, I can no longer stand it. You’ve even raised up a few trolls - nice job! Hate breeds hate and you’ve proven it, time and time again since you’ve gotten here. Now, based on your method of interacting with others, you’ve proven many anticatholic stereotypes out there.

I think I am done with you and the hateful catholic threads you’ve spawned.

I know I would have never considered joining the Church if I had run into you - thankfully, I met an educated, loving Catholic who encouraged me to look into it.

So long

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When did it begin? In the book of Luke.

The very first Roman Catholic

Luke 11:27-28 KJVS
And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked.

Jesus answers her

[28] But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

Reactions: amadeus

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked.

Jesus answers her

[28] But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

Rom 4:1-8 Abraham Justified by Faith (Gen 17:10)
4 What then shall we say that Abraham our father has found according to the flesh?
2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God.
3 For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness."
4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt.

David Celebrates the Same Truth

5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness,

6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works:
7 "Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, And whose sins are covered;
8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord shall not impute sin."

NKJV

Have you placed your faith in the one that justifies the ungodly???

Reactions: Helen

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The wonderful thing about the Bible is that everything that the Heavenly Father wanted covered is indeed covered. The Bible is a perfect book.

The scripture I quoted previously was not in the Bible by chance. Nothing is there by chance. He that takes notice of the least sparrow that falls certainly will speak on the perversion of His word by the RCC. A horrible organization that has lead multitudes to their destruction. They add leaven to God's pure word and deceive the ignorant.

God's name is JEALOUS and He will share His glory with no one. Mary, contrary to Rome's belief, us NOT the queen of heaven.

Mary was a wonderful young pure woman but she too was in need of a savior for ALL have sinned and come short of the glory of God. Mary became a believer and had to receive the amazing truth of who her son really was. After coming to believe she was gathered with the disciples on the day Pentecost where she was baptized in the Holy Spirit and spoke with tongues with the rest of those there.

Were she alive here today she would be the first to rebuke the Roman Catholic church for their blasphemous doctrines, traditions and practices.

I love the Roman Catholic people and desire that they are delivered from the sin of that false religion.

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So here is an interesting fact......this site was virtually free from ‘anticatholic’ sentiments before you started your one man crusade, BOL. Now, instead of disagreement of Catholic doctrine, there are so many hateful posts and threads around here, I can no longer stand it. You’ve even raised up a few trolls - nice job! Hate breeds hate and you’ve proven it, time and time again since you’ve gotten here. Now, based on your method of interacting with others, you’ve proven many anticatholic stereotypes out there.

I think I am done with you and the hateful catholic threads you’ve spawned.

I know I would have never considered joining the Church if I had run into you - thankfully, I met an educated, loving Catholic who encouraged me to look into it.

So long
Ummmm, first of all - Anti-Catholicism was alive and well LONG before I joined this forum. I visited here MANY times before joining.

Secondly - I've never "spawned" a thread here. Not ONE single thread here was started by me. My SOLE mission here has been to debunk and dispel hateful myths, lies and fairy tales about the Catholic Church. Some of them even came from YOU.

Now - if standing up for the truth is something that bothers you - maybe you should put me on "Ignore" . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The wonderful thing about the Bible is that everything that the Heavenly Father wanted covered is indeed covered. The Bible is a perfect book.

The scripture I quoted previously was not in the Bible by chance. Nothing is there by chance. He that takes notice of the least sparrow that falls certainly will speak on the perversion of His word by the RCC. A horrible organization that has lead multitudes to their destruction. They add leaven to God's pure word and deceive the ignorant.

God's name is JEALOUS and He will share His glory with no one. Mary, contrary to Rome's belief, us NOT the queen of heaven.

Mary was a wonderful young pure woman but she too was in need of a savior for ALL have sinned and come short of the glory of God. Mary became a believer and had to receive the amazing truth of who her son really was. After coming to believe she was gathered with the disciples on the day Pentecost where she was baptized in the Holy Spirit and spoke with tongues with the rest of those there.

Were she alive here today she would be the first to rebuke the Roman Catholic church for their blasphemous doctrines, traditions and practices.

I love the Roman Catholic people and desire that they are delivered from the sin of that false religion.
First of all - you mock Christ's Church because you don't understand what it is.

Secondly - your claim that she "came to belief" at Pentecost would be comical, if not so Scripturally-ignorant.
Mary know who Jesus was before the MAN Jesus did because she was told by the Angel who He was. She ALSO told the head Steward at the Wedding at Cana to do whatever Jesus told him to do because she was expecting a miracle.

Why you anti-Catholics try to paint the mother of Jesus as a stupid, clueless dolt, I'll never understand.
I'd LOVE to be present when you tell that to her Son at your judgment, though . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus answers her
Which is EXACTLY what His mother did.

The woman was thinking how wonderful it was to be His mother according to the FLESH.
Jesus corrected her by stating that His mother was doing the WILL of the Father.