When do you feel closest to God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I struggled a little to know how to 'title' this thread. But I was just curious as to how people individually found themselves best connecting to God in worship and praise?

Personally, I find it's music. Music hits me in the feels, and when it's praise music that speaks of all Jesus has done. Yep, that does it. I mean, I love reading my bible and praying, that solidly ranks at the top too, obviously. But reading my bible engages my brain fairly hard, and it's more of a feeling of being hit and overwhelmed by truth (sorry bbryd if you read this...pls ignore all references to the truth!). That's amazing and good and right, but it's mixed in with a fair bit of my brain trying to study, assess and absorb, so sometimes its a little hard to simply 'praise'. And praying...well, yeah, always there's a closeness there. Honestly, its a hard toss up between prayer and music, but honestly, I sort of look at singing and music as prayers set to instruments anyway!

Don't know if anyone will be at all interested in a thread like this, but everyone is different and it strikes me that everyone probably connects with God in their own, unique way.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Its those moments when I know He is near, when I can see His face and when I can sit and have a quiet chat with Him without all the garbage my head keeps dragging up. Last 2 weeks for me have being the best for a while, also love it when He reminds me and others of things He has shown them before, we forget very easily.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I struggled a little to know how to 'title' this thread. But I was just curious as to how people individually found themselves best connecting to God in worship and praise?

Personally, I find it's music. Music hits me in the feels, and when it's praise music that speaks of all Jesus has done. Yep, that does it. I mean, I love reading my bible and praying, that solidly ranks at the top too, obviously. But reading my bible engages my brain fairly hard, and it's more of a feeling of being hit and overwhelmed by truth (sorry bbryd if you read this...pls ignore all references to the truth!). That's amazing and good and right, but it's mixed in with a fair bit of my brain trying to study, assess and absorb, so sometimes its a little hard to simply 'praise'. And praying...well, yeah, always there's a closeness there. Honestly, its a hard toss up between prayer and music, but honestly, I sort of look at singing and music as prayers set to instruments anyway!

Don't know if anyone will be at all interested in a thread like this, but everyone is different and it strikes me that everyone probably connects with God in their own, unique way.

Hello there.

God made all the flowers on earth so different...different trees, birds etc...
and people too :)
My 'moments' are not so much in reading the Word, not so much in prayer itself...but if or when I feel a slight disconnect , all I have to do is stand still and look deeply into the expanse of the sky , or at night the moon and stars ...somehow they just "shout Father" to me.. The Awesome ,Mighty God Himself. It still my soul and my brain and quietens my mind.

I for sure feel closer to God when it is quiet and I am not speaking...just a quiet listening...and a nothingness of this world.

Different strokes eh! :)

@Nancy @Pearl @Butterfly @amadeus

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its those moments when I know He is near, when I can see His face and when I can sit and have a quiet chat with Him without all the garbage my head keeps dragging up. Last 2 weeks for me have being the best for a while, also love it when He reminds me and others of things He has shown them before, we forget very easily.
Oh yes, we have such short memories!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Like yourself, Naomi...praise and worship music is my go to for reminders of His wonders. There are two particular songs that have and will always be very special to me. I do not watch TV and haven't in a very long time but, I do listen to Pandora or my Christian radio station daily.
Also, it seems that I feel closest to Him after a personal storm and times of feeling far from Him, it is when He lifts me up and strengthens my faith as I pray and watch Him work. His faithfulness and un-changing character brings me such comfort as I remember that even though our circumstances will change and our feelings are fickle...He is still the same. That brings me much comfort. But yeah, music to His glory is my thing. My prayer life can be sporadic yet, it seems there is always praying going on in the fore front of my mind and heart, when I'm in a low, dark place, it can be hard to see past our circumstances and in turn can make it hard for me to get into fervent effective prayer. He brings me to my knees when I cannot do it myself and it is always, always, different when I get up...
Good Post

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Hi Naomi, For me the times I feel closest to God is when I 'hear' him speaking directly into my spirit, either in showing me a lesson from nature or everyday life, or by teaching me something in a dream, or knowing he has answered a personal prayer. I think those time are the most special.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

for me when I feel the closest to God is when I’m appreciative. Some days I get in a blah mindset and that is when He seems the furtherest away. but then the blah leaves; could be a song, a conversation, His word, His voice, a strangers smile in passing getting groceries, or seeing my youngest granddaughter and hearing her baby laugh. Thankful moments for all He has given us to experience. The difficult times I’m less thankful for, until they have passed which isn’t usually until I’m thankful for even those too.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
for me when I feel the closest to God is when I’m appreciative. Some days I get in a blah mindset and that is when He seems the furtherest away. but then the blah leaves; could be a song, a conversation, His word, His voice, a strangers smile in passing getting groceries, or seeing my youngest granddaughter and hearing her baby laugh. Thankful moments for all He has given us to experience. The difficult times I’m less thankful for, until they have passed which isn’t usually until I’m thankful for even those too.
We sometimes forget that he is always there and if we feel he is slightly more distant, or not there at all then it is ourselves who have moved. So I really get the blah mindset.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello there.

God made all the flowers on earth so different...different trees, birds etc...
and people too :)
My 'moments' are not so much in reading the Word, not so much in prayer itself...but if or when I feel a slight disconnect , all I have to do is stand still and look deeply into the expanse of the sky , or at night the moon and stars ...somehow they just "shout Father" to me.. The Awesome ,Mighty God Himself. It still my soul and my brain and quietens my mind.

I for sure feel closer to God when it is quiet and I am not speaking...just a quiet listening...and a nothingness of this world.

Different strokes eh! :)

@Nancy @Pearl @Butterfly @amadeus

The heavens declare the glory! Yes, the night sky is amazing to look at. I grew up on a farm, away from city lights, and on a moonless night the wealth of stars flung across the inky sky could keep you still in silent prayers before his presence for hours.
It's one thing to verbally acknowledge that our God is infinite in power and presence, but then to look at something like the night sky and know that the Universe goes out for...well, perhaps forever, and that our God breathed something that vast into creation...well...it makes you feel small, but infinitely loved.
Wonderful, Helen! Thank you for reminding me how much I used to enjoy that. Maybe I need to get out at night more!

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I feel closer when I am writing in my journal - I find my thoughts are clearer and more from the heart - I tend to use it as a mixture of sharing what's going on but also an ongoing conversation with God.
Yes! I often find this too! My silly brain is too likely to wander off on foolish rabbit trails on its own. Holding a pen and bending it and my mind to putting my hope and heart on the page helps keep it in line a little.

Reactions: Helen and Butterfly

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Like yourself, Naomi...praise and worship music is my go to for reminders of His wonders. There are two particular songs that have and will always be very special to me. I do not watch TV and haven't in a very long time but, I do listen to Pandora or my Christian radio station daily.
Also, it seems that I feel closest to Him after a personal storm and times of feeling far from Him, it is when He lifts me up and strengthens my faith as I pray and watch Him work. His faithfulness and un-changing character brings me such comfort as I remember that even though our circumstances will change and our feelings are fickle...He is still the same. That brings me much comfort. But yeah, music to His glory is my thing. My prayer life can be sporadic yet, it seems there is always praying going on in the fore front of my mind and heart, when I'm in a low, dark place, it can be hard to see past our circumstances and in turn can make it hard for me to get into fervent effective prayer. He brings me to my knees when I cannot do it myself and it is always, always, different when I get up...
Good Post

Hi Nancy, thanks for the reply.
I think most of us have experienced the ebb and flow of the Christian walk, and then the wonderful relief of knowing Christ is always waiting for us with open arms when we pick ourselves up from our stumble, or from a betrayal or hardship. He is the stability and comfort in this life, really, when nothing else can be.
Honestly, I cannot imagine how people can live without him. Where do they go? Who do they turn to? How can they function in life without knowing who holds their future? It baffles me.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi Naomi, For me the times I feel closest to God is when I 'hear' him speaking directly into my spirit, either in showing me a lesson from nature or everyday life, or by teaching me something in a dream, or knowing he has answered a personal prayer. I think those time are the most special.

Oh goodness, yes! I would imagine so! For me, those things don't happen VERY often, dreams or directly speaking to my spirit, but I have had them enough to know how....electrifying they can be. Like the picture Michelangelo painted on the Sistine Chapel ceiling, the fingers of God and man touching...zap! I think its because you either feel the direct presence of God or know he has directly intervened in your life. That's an amazing feeling. We may "know" that God sees us and hears us and has a hand on our lives at every moment, but sometimes it's hard to feel, you know? And those are the times when we feel it beyond a doubt. And yes, it's indescribable. And yet...probably only a fraction of how awesome it will be when we dwell in his actual presence in the new heavens and earth. Bring it on!

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Is that, perhaps, because you feel that you're living truly as his Disciple, when you live that way? I think that when we're thankful and feeling his closeness, and that echos out onto others; exchanged smiles in the store, letting that older person with 2 items in their basket go first instead of waiting for you to finish with your full trolley! Encouraging meetings with friends or family that bring home the importance of love and support....well...we're starting, I think, to take what he's put in our hearts and live it, like he wants us to. And I suppose, in a very real sense, there would be nothing that pleased him more, for us to 'shine our light'...his light, to others. Do you think??

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

It's easy to forget sometimes, isn't it? Life just hits us in the face; its hard, or too busy or we don't make time to be quiet. I'm working on that...finding time to just be...quiet. I think it doesn't really come naturally in this technological age, so I'm forcing myself to put away my gadgets and just getting some me and him time. It's good.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's easy to forget sometimes, isn't it? Life just hits us in the face; its hard, or too busy or we don't make time to be quiet. I'm working on that...finding time to just be...quiet. I think it doesn't really come naturally in this technological age, so I'm forcing myself to put away my gadgets and just getting some me and him time. It's good.

AMEN!! Yes it is time for all of His people who say that they are serious in their walk to do likewise ...
The gadgets clutter up our clarity of hearing...and in this late hour we had better know HOW to hear clearly...

Good word...H

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thats why I nought a bike. Go to nice quiet places and sit.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
AMEN!! Yes it is time for all of His people who say that they are serious in their walk to do likewise ...
The gadgets clutter up our clarity of hearing...and in this late hour we had better know HOW to hear clearly...

Good word...H
Amen.. this is where we are at, so few can see it.

Naomi25

Aug 10, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thats why I nought a bike. Go to nice quiet places and sit.
What a good idea! Do you have trouble finding nice places that are still cool? It's so hot here at the moment I nearly die every time I walk out the front door. Thanking God very much for air-conditioning at the moment.
My husband is watching a monsoon system sitting over the top of the NT/WA at the moment, as well as the weather system behind it and the one its pushing down across Australia. It's been his observation that while not every 'wet season' comes from systems like that, that when a wet season DOES come, it always does come from a system like that. So, he's watching it with interest and hope that our dry, horrendous summer might turn wet. I find myself hoping he is right! Then you bet your bottom dollar I'll be heading out to find some nice places as well!

Reactions: Nancy

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What a good idea! Do you have trouble finding nice places that are still cool? It's so hot here at the moment I nearly die every time I walk out the front door. Thanking God very much for air-conditioning at the moment.
My husband is watching a monsoon system sitting over the top of the NT/WA at the moment, as well as the weather system behind it and the one its pushing down across Australia. It's been his observation that while not every 'wet season' comes from systems like that, that when a wet season DOES come, it always does come from a system like that. So, he's watching it with interest and hope that our dry, horrendous summer might turn wet. I find myself hoping he is right! Then you bet your bottom dollar I'll be heading out to find some nice places as well!
I actually started riding to escape the world after my wife left me, If i hadnt I think I would have died and it is still one of the reasons why I ride. Than I discovered photography combined the both together, sometimes i just sit on the water front and hope to hear from the Lord, but he answers in His time. Patients is being worked in us, oh how hard that is.
I have my short rides. Patonga, pearl beach, brisbane waters, and my longer ones, Terrigal, Avoca beach,. The entrance, Toukley Budeiwoi, cant do those in temps above 25c to hot.
Parents live in Perth. Traveled most of wa for work, hopefully we may get some cyclones to push some badly needed rain down here, none in QLD yet

No aircon just a fan

God bless

Reactions: Helen and amadeus