When I drink it NEW in the kingdom of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Isaiah 25 depicts a feast:

6 On this mountain the Lord Almighty will prepare
a feast of rich food for all peoples,
a banquet of aged wine
the best of meats and the finest of wines.
7On this mountain he will destroy
the shroud that enfolds all peoples,
the sheet that covers all nations;
8he will swallow up death forever.
The Sovereign Lord will wipe away the tears from all faces;
he will remove his people’s disgrace from all the earth.
Death is no more. It is a heavenly feast. A similar feast is described in Revelation 19:

6 Then I heard what seemed to be the voice of a great multitude, like the roar of many waters and like the sound of mighty peals of thunder, crying out,
“Hallelujah! For the Lord our God the Almighty reigns. 7 Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his Bride has made herself ready; 8 it was granted her to clothe herself with fine linen, bright and pure”— for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints.
9 And the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.”
Luke 14:15 talks about the feast in the kingdom of God:

When one of those at the table with him heard this, he said to Jesus, "Blessed is the one who will eat at the feast in the kingdom of God."
Then Jesus proceeds to tell them the parable of the Great Banquet. This theme of a heavenly feast runs through the OT and the NT.

Mark 14:25

Truly I tell you, I will never again drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.
What is the fruit of the vine?

It is the physical/horizontal drink at the last supper which they have just drunk.

What is meant by drinking it 'new'?

The new drink is the heavenly/verticle counterpart of the horizontal fruit of the vine.

What is 'that day'?

It refers to the day of the heavenly banquet of the marriage supper of the Lamb.

Jesus knew that the fruit of the vine on that Passover night was his last celebrative drink before he died. Jesus bound himself by a divine promise/sacrifice not to drink the equivalent heavenly wine until we celebrate the marriage supper of the Lamb in the consummated kingdom of God.

The enemies of Paul bind themselves not to eat or drink in Acts 23:12 in order to show that they mean serious business:

The next morning some Jews formed a conspiracy and bound themselves with an oath not to eat or drink until they had killed Paul.
Jesus does not swear an oath but simply says "Amen, I tell you". Certainly, Jesus means it. It will happen.

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 25 depicts a feast ... Death is no more. It is a heavenly feast. A similar feast is described in Revelation 19 ...
In heaven death has never existed, so that "banquet" described by Isaiah does not happen in heaven, and has nothing to do with "the marriage of the Lamb."

Scripture contains a kingdom promise that is fulfilled on this planet, where harmful conditions exist that are said to be eliminated...not because the planet is going to be destroyed, but because it is going to be cleansed. People who live on earth in the future will no longer experience death, pain, nor will evil exist.

Is. 65:21 They will build houses and live in them,
And they will plant vineyards and eat their fruitage.
22 They will not build for someone else to inhabit,
Nor will they plant for others to eat.
For the days of my people will be like the days of a tree,
And the work of their hands my chosen ones will enjoy to the full.
23 They will not toil for nothing,
Nor will they bear children for distress,
Because they are the offspring made up of those blessed by Jehovah,
And their descendants with them.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
~
Spring is the season designated for Passover; which is +/- three months
before ancient Israel's grape harvest. So the beverage that Jesus' men drank
at his last supper was left over from a previous year's harvest as it was too
soon for new stuff.

Nowadays older wines are prized but back then, when there were fewer
options for preserving foods and beverages, old wine was somewhat
unpleasant as it tasted more like vinegar than a fruit's juice so they had to
dilute the old stuff with water to make it better.

In contrast, back then a new wine consisted of fresh juice straight from the
press and consumed before it was afforded enough time to go bad.

BTW: Wine isn't listed on the menu for Passover in the 12th chapter of
Exodus; it is in fact a rabbinical tradition rather than a biblical requirement.
_