When I first Become A Follower of Christ!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is pretty fun. Lol.

When I became a follower of Christ, our youth group had a segment on music and we were told to bring our favorite songs. So I brought this song from the show Inuyasha, which was from a different language. I was pretty big into anime at 15. All my friends here were raised in church (before we moved across the street from one, my family only went on holidays). So they all brought different Christian songs. I brought a foreign language song I didnt even know was about a dog demon. :D I was encouraged to look up the words. I remember experimenting by listening only to Christian music for 30 days after that. And it was about the only music I liked afterwards. It is amazing how worship music and Christian music really uplifts your spirit. Even in the secular music thread, looking back on some old music I used to absolutely love, it wasn't as uplifting and edifying as the music I listen to now...I only like to sing Worship music now too. And maybe some Disney and sentimental things. Choral types.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I first became a follower of Christ I noticed that people were wearing very conservative clothing, dull and a bit boring.
Not like the clothing I was wearing which was probably more suitable at a night club venue [not that went to night clubs]...
Lol

Reactions: Nancy and Angelina

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a new follower in Christ, our church encouraged a 30 day quiet time experiment. They gave us these neat devotional magazines for teenagers, and I loved it. I did a devotion every day. Even when we moved I continued, only I got a bit lost when the magazine devotionals finished and I had to look for another one. In this magazine I also came to learn about purity. I got a purity ring, and I wore that all the way up to marriage. Besides the abuse as a child, I was a virgin when married. It was a very powerful time in my life as a new Christian, because God really took hold of me, even in the midst of chaos.

It is why youth group is so important...I forgot all about that...I work with children, but have a hard time relating and talking with the teens. Especially the teen boys who are like 6 feet tall. Lol. It makes me very nervous, so never got involved much as an adult with the youth group. I really should share some of these lighter stories with them though. And what I learned as a new follower of Christ at that age. Pretty soon, my kids class will all be teens. Since I've been helping teach them, and have known them since they were born, I think I'll be more comfortable guiding them as they get older too.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought that every Christian believed the same thing?
I was 7 when I first got saved....I cried because Jesus was killed because I sinned....and I was told He sees everything I do....now that was a clincher for me...when I did something wrong I went and told somebody before they killed Jesus again...:oops:

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our pastor tells us when he became a new follower in Christ, he made a commitment to not smoke weed on Sundays. :) The church laughed at that story, but it was a start. Because eventually, he stopped all together.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When I first became a christian I believed that I could not wear clothes with colours, perfume, fix my hair , or wear any makeup.
( it lasted a year...)

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I first became a christian I believed that I could not wear clothes with colours, perfume, fix my hair , or wear any makeup.
( it lasted a year...)
Wow....Pentecost Holiness?

Reactions: amadeus

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When I first became a follower of Christ, I flipped through the Bible and pointed to see what I would find. I read an Old Testament law about not eating pork because it was unclean. I only lasted a week. :D Thankfully found a good church when we moved out of the city (because of the divorce), and they set me right on a few things. Lol.
Incidentally Mayflower, why do you think God gave those laws ?

Reactions: Mayflower

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
When I first became a follower of Christ, I went to my first church camp and was asked to join a game the young people were playing. [Indoor hockey] Never played before. It soon ended when a number of young people were taken off injured. I was nicely told that you do not use a hockey stick like a softball bat. :confused:

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Incidentally Mayflower, why do you think God gave those laws ?

Probably better for your health not to eat pork and hooved animals, things like that. Daniel and his friends looked healthier then everyone in Babylon, so everyone was put on the same diet. So yes, God definitely has reasons for laws he made. But God made unclean animals clean to eat, so I am not convicted eating my pork chops these days. :) Just as a new follower in Christ, I was a bit legalistic and cocky about it.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Probably better for your health not to eat pork and hooved animals, things like that. Daniel and his friends looked healthier then everyone in Babylon, so everyone was put on the same diet. So yes, God definitely has reasons for laws he made. But God made unclean animals clean to eat, so I am not convicted eating my pork chops these days. :) Just as a new follower in Christ, I was a bit legalistic and cocky about it.
I wonder how God can say certain animals are not healthy to eat (unclean) then turn around and say they are ok to eat (clean)?
It appears there is a contradiction.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I wonder how God can say certain animals are not healthy to eat (unclean) then turn around and say they are ok to eat (clean)?

Obviously ‘better men’ than us have struggled with that too.

In the end after Peter told God in Acts that no unclean thing had passed his lips ...God says “Don’t call unclean that which I have cleansed , arise, kill and eat. “

I’m kinda glad , I like bacon with my eggs once in a while! LOL

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think it's because God knew there were going to be Cajans some day, and that if He didn't allow people to eat jambalaya, and red beans and rice, and cracklins, and boudin, and all sorts of other good stuff, that all of South Louisiana - in its entirety - was gonna go completely to Hell in a hand basket.