When I first Become A Follower of Christ!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it's because God knew there were going to be Cajans some day, and that if He didn't allow people to eat jambalaya, and red beans and rice, and cracklins, and boudin, and all sorts of other good stuff, that all of South Louisiana - in its entirety - was gonna go completely to Hell in a hand basket.
:D

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Angelina,

It is embarrassing to me how some women dress in Church. Every time I see it I think to myself “What the heck.....Did they just leave a night club to come to church?” I feel embarrassed for them.

Thank you for starting this discussion.
That thing about the way people dress is also true for me. Some people call me old fashioned, but for me it is not only in church settings...

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wonder how God can say certain animals are not healthy to eat (unclean) then turn around and say they are ok to eat (clean)?
It appears there is a contradiction.

Interesting topic for another thread, but new covenant isnt a contradiction to me. God gave Peter this dream, because he was uncertain about going to the Gentiles.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
When I first became a follower of Christ, my pastor asked what books I was reading other than the bible. I told him I was reading a book called "Spiritual Warfare through Intercession". He ran away and came back with a book for me about "Christian walk" 101.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When I first became a follower of Christ I found it hard to pray within a group because I thought my prayers were pathetic compared to others and I would shake a little, go bright red and stutter....
I have never been able to pray publically. Those things which I talk about privately to God are just not appropriate for a public presentation. Those things I talk to God about are intimate and personal.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I first became a follower of Christ, I thought there was no price and that I could go right on cursing and lying and hating and destroying and being bitter, perusing any ol’ thing I wanted to and call it Life.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was saved when I was 7, but made a full commitment when I was 18. I was mystified throughout the first year, as to why it made no difference in my life. Then at the end of that year, as I looked back over that year, I didn't even recognize the person I used to be!! The transformation was so gradual I didn't notice the subtle day-to-day changes that were occurring.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
When I first became a follower of Christ, I was asked by my HG leader to go up the front of the Church and recite a passage from the bible. The church was packed and I walked up the front and held the passage up in front of my face so I couldn't see the people. [I heard laughing from the congregation] I'm sure I had it upside down. The paper I was reading from, was shaking so much it really didn't matter anyway. I fumbled my way through it and sat down with a bright red face....

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I was saved when I was 7, but made a full commitment when I was 18. I was mystified throughout the first year, as to why it made no difference in my life. Then at the end of that year, as I looked back over that year, I didn't even recognize the person I used to be!! The transformation was so gradual I didn't notice the subtle day-to-day changes that were occurring.
Amen! I hear you brother.....

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I first became a follower of Christ, I was asked by my HG leader to go up the front of the Church and recite a passage from the bible. The church was packed and I walked up the front and held the passage up in front of my face so I couldn't see the people. [I heard laughing from the congregation] I'm sure I had it upside down. The paper I was reading from, was shaking so much it really didn't matter anyway. I fumbled my way through it and sat down with a bright red face....

Never been asked to read anything before a congregation. if I were to ever get up in front, no doubt I would do the same. Does this still happen to you or has it been overcome? When I first became a follower of Christ, I had (come from years of) severe panic attacks and could not even sit in a church or a restaurant; even when it wasn’t overly crowded. It only took a few people to make me feel like I was coming out of my skin. Since, I’ve been randomly stuck in situations where I was hemmed in by a crowd with no access to a door or way out, no panic. Can do stores and restaurants now also. Can’t remember the last panic attack even while no longer on medication for them.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When I first became a follower of Christ I noticed that people were wearing very conservative clothing, dull and a bit boring.
Not like the clothing I was wearing which was probably more suitable at a night club venue [not that went to night clubs]...
I recently attended a couple of Christian grade-school graduations. I was amazed by the attire some of the girls wore: definitely 'hunting attire'.

And within the church, I have no problem whatsoever with girls attending, wearing hunting attire!! That's just smart.

After my son returned to town after finishing his undergrad, one morning as we were driving to our usual boring church, he stopped us along the way, as we were passing a large church of about 1300, he said "let's go there", so we did. Wow!! Talk about "happy hunting ground"!! One centre section of the church was filled with teenagers on the prowl!!

I suppose the church had become famous in this regard. My (now) in-laws transported their daughters from a rural town to attend that church. I don't at all wonder what they had in mind!! Their mission was successful. My one son met his wife, their daughter there, and our other son married her sister. Truly a family made in Heaven.

I have no problem whatsoever with girls wearing their hunting clothes at church. What better place to go hunting??

The Bible does have some ideas on appropriate attire, like what was Eve wearing when she as introduced to Adam?? <giggle>

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Never been asked to read anything before a congregation. if I were to ever get up in front, no doubt I would do the same. Does this still happen to you or has it been overcome? When I first became a follower of Christ, I had (come from years of) severe panic attacks and could not even sit in a church or a restaurant; even when it wasn’t overly crowded. It only took a few people to make me feel like I was coming out of my skin. Since, I’ve been randomly stuck in situations where I was hemmed in by a crowd with no access to a door or way out, no panic. Can do stores and restaurants now also. Can’t remember the last panic attack even while no longer on medication for them.

Still have the jitters when I am asked to get up in a night service and talk about something God wants me to share or even preach a word but I have no problems at all singing up front with a full church. I don't like to be mic-ed though because I don't need a mic....

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I recently attended a couple of Christian grade-school graduations. I was amazed by the attire some of the girls wore: definitely 'hunting attire'.

And within the church, I have no problem whatsoever with girls attending, wearing hunting attire!! That's just smart.

After my son returned to town after finishing his undergrad, one morning as we were driving to our usual boring church, he stopped us along the way, as we were passing a large church of about 1300, he said "let's go there", so we did. Wow!! Talk about "happy hunting ground"!! One centre section of the church was filled with teenagers on the prowl!!

I suppose the church had become famous in this regard. My (now) in-laws transported their daughters from a rural town to attend that church. I don't at all wonder what they had in mind!! Their mission was successful. My one son met his wife, their daughter there, and our other son married her sister. Truly a family made in Heaven.

I have no problem whatsoever with girls wearing their hunting clothes at church. What better place to go hunting??

The Bible does have some ideas on appropriate attire, like what was Eve wearing when she as introduced to Adam?? <giggle>

What is this "hunting attire?" Is is like combat gear? :confused:o_O

Reactions: Stan B

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still have the jitters when I am asked to get up in a night service and talk about something God wants me to share or even preach a word but I have no problems at all singing up front with a full church. I don't like to be mic-ed though because I don't need a mic....

Good you are comfortable singing. I was just wondering as I still struggle to speak in a small bible study between a few people at a coffee house. My husband and I get in the car afterward, and he always ask why I didn’t say anything. It is not that I don’t like them...

Reactions: Angelina

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Good you are comfortable singing. I was just wondering as I still struggle to speak in a small bible study between a few people at a coffee house. My husband and I get in the car afterward, and he always ask why I didn’t say anything. It is not that I don’t like them...

I have been singing for a long time in the church as a worship leader and also as a vocals backup. I don't have any problems with speaking or prayer in a small group now. The key for me was "passion". When you have passion for the word, you don't notice the people around you or what they think of you. You just speak what is on your heart because it's bubbling up inside you with power from the Holy Spirit.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I am not one for getting up the front and like @Stan B, I am not one to pray aloud in a group either, I rather just pray quietly. I am a simple and quiet man, my vocabulary was never impressive like other people haha, I am one to look up a word definition and forget it.

And I am nervous for getting up front and speaking, even was nervous getting up front to play piano in a few school assemblies when I was at school, been that way all my life.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Interesting topic for another thread, but new covenant isnt a contradiction to me. God gave Peter this dream, because he was uncertain about going to the Gentiles.
Yes, it is the subject for another thread. I would add though, did God give Peter this vision because he was telling Peter about foods or was the vision given so Peter could see that the Gentiles were not to be regarded as unclean. Peters testimony later confirms the reason.

Reactions: Mayflower

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After I had become a Christian and a member of a local Church, it wasn't long that a trip was being made to Baton Rouge Louisiana for a Revival. The main speaker was Ron Dunn. Long since been with the Lord. Great preacher.

I had been very rebellious before I came back to the Lord. And for some reason, I had it in my head that all Christians were like me...coming from an openly rebellious background and then finding Jesus, and the Grace that brought me back.

So, we stopped to get breakfast somewhere in Louisiana on the way. And the coffee they used was different. It could have been 'Community' or 'Seaport', I don't know, but it had a very different flavor. And to me, I thought it tasted like whiskey was mixed with the coffee.

An elderly man from our church sat across from me. And I asked him, doesn't that taste like whiskey is mixed in this coffee? And he said, 'I don't know son, I never tasted whiskey'.

Caught me totally by surprise. Great lesson though. We come many different directions, but only one way.

Stranger