When Is It Time To Die?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Some may find this interesting...some won't.
Im sure @bbyrd009 will at least give it a look over.( Remember Mark...this is talking about when we are 'my age'....not at your age now)

I found it so interesting. I will put the link so you can read it for yourself.
But as many ( like me) do not like links...I will put a snippet right here.

I think some of us can agree that at "our age" (76) and much younger for me. We have basically be 'kept from dying' by medication ( blood pressure meds, heart meds...surgeries, etc) I am already past my "sell by" date! :)

So, in one way we have already taken our time of death out of God's trusting hand, and into our own. So the answer.." I am trusting God's timing.." doesn't wash for some of us.

This link is asking - When is it time to say ..'enough'....I will "take an aspirin if I get a headache, but if I get pneumonia I will say no thank you to the antibiotics, The Colonoscopies ,Mammography, Scan's etc ( which I personally have always done anyway...but I have had surgeries and taken the medications.....but...when do we stop?)
When is it time to let go?

So, here is the snippet and also the link for those who find it as interesting as I did :)
Quote:-
That’s how long I want to live: 75 years.

This preference drives my daughters crazy. It drives my brothers crazy. My loving friends think I am crazy. They think that I can’t mean what I say; that I haven’t thought clearly about this, because there is so much in the world to see and do. To convince me of my errors, they enumerate the myriad people I know who are over 75 and doing quite well. They are certain that as I get closer to 75, I will push the desired age back to 80, then 85, maybe even 90.

I am sure of my position. Doubtless, death is a loss. It deprives us of experiences and milestones, of time spent with our spouse and children. In short, it deprives us of all the things we value.

But here is a simple truth that many of us seem to resist: living too long is also a loss. It renders many of us, if not disabled, then faltering and declining, a state that may not be worse than death but is nonetheless deprived. It robs us of our creativity and ability to contribute to work, society, the world. It transforms how people experience us, relate to us, and, most important, remember us. We are no longer remembered as vibrant and engaged but as feeble, ineffectual, even pathetic.

By the time I reach 75, I will have lived a complete life. I will have loved and been loved.
Etc etc etc.....blah blah.... End Quote.
LINK -
< Why I Hope to Die at 75 >

Bless you... :)

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh my.... The many things I have to say are like the strawberries in my smoothie trying to climb up my straw!

(Pretty poetic, huh? But still pathetic!)

It doesn't matter what our physical state is. I don't think anyone would disagree. But what of our mental state? I don't think that matters either.

Our spiritual state however is not bound by what are body or brain is capable of.

At 49 years old (in July) my body is declining. As a life long athlete, I am actually pushing it more than ever, and its rebelling!

But at 49, my mind is more crystal clear than ever... And in the last month and even days I am figuring things out and am better!

25 years from now, I will know how you feel. My dad died last year at 74 years old. He too was an athlete and a genuine phwnonimal one at that. He never stopped trying to be better but realized his athlete days were done. But he never believed is mind was gone. I did, but he didn't .

So there is the earth man, the mental man, but what of the spiritual man?

Though your mind and body may go... Does if change yyour spiritual growth?

Well yea... You can't go to Church ad often and can't pay as close attention. But going to Church isn't all about learning. Big part, but not all about it.

Maybe just showing up to praise God is enough. Maybe just hearing his word even if you can't remember the sermon 3 hours later is enough. Maybe just being faithful in your feeble state is enough.

Be a witness. Even in your state. Being a witnes sometimes means just showing up. SSometimes ita just about putting forth the effort to acknowledge God.

Bottom lune: Let God tell you when you are done. Not when the Calendar says 76 years.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Helen: First I believe we 'go' at God's timing, even if I reach your age and beyond. I really believe it.

I do not mentally fixate on an age to die. I do know that both my Dad and Granddad both died at 82-83 yrs of age. This does have some sense of calibration for my life-span. I do say I will live at least their age, especially because I do not want my wife to be alone, without me. I always pray that I want to 'go' not a day past her time of departure.

I happen to live in a 55 plus community. My wife and I are in our 60s, and are considered the kids. The average age is about 74. Yes I see disabilities with those over 65 yrs old. Some very minor some major. The one thing I see in all of them is determination and hope for the future. They are good swimmers, dancers, card and bingo players of course. I share a lot of time with them, gone to the movies and even going on a cruise with a couple, one is 77 yrs old and the other 82 yrs old. They are not in physical pain although they both have minor handicaps. I learn a great deal from them, their lives and experiences. They contribute to society.

This article in your link is a person that seems fearful of becoming 'old' not wanting to lose some of his keen mind etc, and is finding all types of rationale arguments to make himself brave. And he is spot on with them. His writing seems to be in a typical secular fashion. Now I agree with most of the facts, although I do not make any of these a part of my life. I take it one day at a time.

I depend on my creator for my time to 'go.'

I hope Helen you are happy and live a life God wants you to live. I would not get concerned about this person's opinion, to affect your life. There are many more like him, and in my opinion they cannot compare to the awesome God we have in heaven.:D

God Bless you,

APAK

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
75? Hell, I wouldn't mind dying at 35 or 40 for that matter. I don't care really, as long as I am saved. God has the final say so, but I don't want to be in this world any longer than absolutely necessary. There is nothing more for me to see here.

Reactions: LC627 and Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The old flesh has been dying since it was born. Somewhere along the line most of us came already to an optimum point when the maturing of the flesh according to our life style and other factors started falling behind the dying process. Then the aging, that is the dying, started to show not only to others but to ourselves.

But on the other hand as others have already mentioned...

On the other hand, while the old flesh diminishes, the new man within born of God, hopefully, for each of us, is growing stronger, more mature in the things of God and therefore closer to God.

But then why did the apostle Paul write this?

"If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable." I Cor 15:19

His personal physical hardships may have played a part:

"Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft.
Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.
Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;
In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;
In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness." II Cor 11:23-27

The man certainly suffered, but more than because of the suffering, I believe his statement regarding being miserable was because he... that is we cannot always feel or perceive the best things of God while we are here in this veil of flesh. Consider like I do, Jesus, who really came down into hell for our benefit. He purposely came down to suffer pain and to die a terrible death. If we can even begin to conceive where He started from to end on dying on the cross then we may also begin to yearn for our personal end to come... but look at what else Paul wrote...

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." Phil 4:11

I do think at times it would be nice to be able to play tennis again or do some of the other things that I have enjoyed in this world, but when I talk to God seriously, I seriously am content in the state in which I am. The heart [of flesh] is weaker. My lungs at times won't provide the oxygen my body seems to demand, but I just take it easy and talk to God one more time and say thank you for what you have given me... including the time I have already had. I am 74.

Give God the glory!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I must get to bed now...
I will come back here tomorrow. :)

Thank you all for your posts.
@APAK No worries, I don't have death wish. LOL
Even though I take medication , I still believe God has the last say, with or without medication.

I just thought the article was very interesting, I've never heard anyone say what he said.
He obviously isn't a Christian ...so he doesn't have our faith and trust.

Like Amadeus's old Pastor at 92 ...(I don't know if he takes meds or not)..but he is still a great blessing and witness to Father, at his age.
I have for many years refused all the bells and whistles my doctor wants me to have. She just smiles and shakes her head at me.

I was talked into taking the meds by my girls 55 and 56yrs old.
I don't wish to be a drooling vegetable for them to have to visit and feed me through a straw. ( their words :) ) So I do what I can...but they know I wont do anything more to keep this old tent on this side of the veil.

Back tomorrow...I am sure in each post here there are things I want to say or ask about. Thank you all for responding...

Tomorrow folks. :)

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus
B

Butterfly

I find the whole issue of taking meds an interesting one. There are many young people who ' need ' meds to stay alive, in days gone by they would have died young.
I have seen two approaches
1. Medical knowledge comes from God and it can all be used to bring about healing
2. Going to the doctors means you are not trusting in God at all

I see stopping medical treatment as a form of euthanasia -with the elderly in care and in hospital this is often a natural part of ' end of life ' - but I have seen residents go on for some weeks, even when they have been refusing food and water. The person has given up , but the body keeps going.
I see the elderly suffering every single day at work ( residents with demencia continuously trying to get out, find family, question what they are doing, ect ect. ) This is when the physical person remains, but the mental/ emotional and possibly the spiritual person is lost.

What about when people have surgery and perhaps have problems. In all the years I have had surgery I have never been asked my wishes with regards to D.N.R , yet in the care home it is asked of every resident.
I have often wondered of a person goes against Gods timing when and if there is intervention when the heart stops.- but this opens up a can of worms with regards to any kind of treatment. I am not sure I know the answer.
I mean is euthansia a form of suicide , is suicide right or wrong before God ?
I have never been keen on euthanasia being officially brought in with regards to giving lethal injections, although what about when morphine is given- it speeds things up....
I would be two concerned for greedy relatives using it as a means for getting thier inheritance , or people of value, but vulnerable, being manipulated into choices ' to make life easier for everyone else '

Does medical advancement and knowledge come from God, or is it simply part of the world in which we live ?
I mean, if we refuse medication, are we saying ' no thanks God I don't want what you have to offer '

You know it's only in the last few months or so that I have been considering death in a real way, from my own prospective. Suddenly all these different fears about ' how ' and ' when ' creep into my mind. Maybe the approach to my 60th birthday has triggered it ...............

Interesting subject to discuss though Helen xx
Butterfly

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I am 82 and I feel I should be gone yesterday...

GOD must have a plan for me I wish I knew what it was....
My husband passed away two years ago.......... I thought I would go first, since
I drank and smoked for a lot of years.... and I figured my girl friend who I have know since
we were 4 and 5 years old.. I was not saved till my 50s..... and I had brought her to the church I was going to , so I felt she was not as she is still going there....... I had to make sure she was saved, well I believe she is ! I guess the church changed since I left it........
So................ what is left ? my family all were gone in there 70s......
I am living with my one son and his family and they are all saved..... my other son preaches.
And my daughter is also...... so what's keeping me here ?

Reactions: amadeus

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I am 82 and I feel I should be gone yesterday...

GOD must have a plan for me I wish I knew what it was....
My husband passed away two years ago.......... I thought I would go first, since
I drank and smoked for a lot of years.... and I figured my girl friend who I have know since
we were 4 and 5 years old.. I was not saved till my 50s..... and I had brought her to the church I was going to , so I felt she was not as she is still going there....... I had to make sure she was saved, well I believe she is ! I guess the church changed since I left it........
So................ what is left ? my family all were gone in there 70s......
I am living with my one son and his family and they are all saved..... my other son preaches.
And my daughter is also...... so what's keeping me here ?
Oh, God has something for you.
Someone needs you somewhere
You're not done serving God yet
Maybe there are people who will hear the Word of God from you and they will get saved
Maybe there's more to it than that
No doubt about it
You'll keep breathing until he says differently
Praying
Prayer is the answer for the retired who are not busy anymore
Someone out there needs your prayer right now

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, God has something for you.
Someone needs you somewhere
You're not done serving God yet
Maybe there are people who will hear the Word of God from you and they will get saved
Maybe there's more to it than that
No doubt about it
You'll keep breathing until he says differently
Praying
Prayer is the answer for the retired who are not busy anymore
Someone out there needs your prayer right now

You are so right as in praying and prayer for those with more time on their hands

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I cant figure this out ! Since I moved in with my son his wife and there 8 children, which are
all saved........ I do not go any place now except grocery shopping....
I gave up driving when we moved out here because I would get lost , in the farm area...

In the city I was ok, but here I could never make it to any place......... but one.

So , maybe some one will see a post of mine ? what else could it be.......???????

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I cant figure this out ! Since I moved in with my son his wife and there 8 children, which are
I gave up driving when we moved out here because I would get lost , in the farm area...

In the city I was ok, but here I could never make it to any place......... but one.

So , maybe some one will see a post of mine ? what else could it be.......???????
Take a walk on the wild side....
Call a taxi and tell the driver to take you where the action is...

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
{{{{{{{{ R.T. say's.......
Call a taxi and tell the driver to take you where the action is...))))))))))}
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D:rolleyes:

o_O Do you have any idea what a farm area is like ??? A taxi ?????? that would be a lot
of money...........:oops:

Now a day's my exercise and walk is to the mail box...............

Rollo Tamasi

Aug 28, 2017
Inverness, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
{{{{{{{{
Call a taxi and tell the driver to take you where the action is...))))))))))}

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D:rolleyes:

o_O Do you have any idea what a farm area is like ??? A taxi ?????? that would be a lot
of money...........:oops:

Now a day's my exercise and walk is to the mail box...............
Does anyone in your family work?
Go to work in the morning with them and have them drop you off at the nearest bus stop
And off you go.........................

Reactions: Nancy and Helen
B

Butterfly

It's not just about salvation, what about your very presence in the family home - the interactions between you and them. Your attitudes, ect can speak and serve as well. Also, what about timing with regards to the grief that is felt when loved ones pass away- it's not just about us but the people who we leave behind X
Butterfly

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I am sure of my position.
my first reaction to this is to be reminded of how the elderly are valued in other societies, and how much we marginalize the elderly in the Developed world (along with women, children, brown ppl, Muslims, Catholics, blacks, yellows, animals, our own gut bacteria, the planet, ... you get it i guess)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Does medical advancement and knowledge come from God, or is it simply part of the world in which we live ?
ya this is an important Q, that you have to answer for yourself, huh. The caduceus was enough for me, if the symptom treatment was not; added to the other fruit--that medicine costs money, is not available to the oppressed, bankrupts like a half million a year in the US, etc

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Reactions: amadeus and Helen
B

Butterfly

ya this is an important Q, that you have to answer for yourself, huh. The caduceus was enough for me, if the symptom treatment was not; added to the other fruit--that medicine costs money, is not available to the oppressed, bankrupts like a half million a year in the US, etc
What is a caduceus ?
Yes, there is always a way in which things can be used in the wrong way. I guess living in the UK with the NHS , which enables everyone to recieve treatment is somewhat better.
However how something is used does not mean that the original knowledge was not God given or that it is not part of Gods provision.
I am not sure where I stand, what my views are exactly- that's why it's interesting to reflect on what is said
Butterfly

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009