When was the last time you faced a moral dilemma?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
In this post modern world we live in, it has become rare to run into a moral problem. The standard for morality has been abolished. So does anyone even remember the last time they had to deal with a moral dilemma? If so, what was the dilemma?

How you resolved it isn't quite as important as what the dilemma was because chances are that it wasn't even a moral dilemma to begin with; they just don't exist for most people anymore.

Why is this? Part of the reason is that people don't believe in an objective standard of morality. This, as strange as it may seem; is not confined to the secular world. Christian doctrine today is full of examples of the laws of God being done away with. This is God's standard of morality. Christians will point out that to love your neighbor as yourself is to fulfill the law, but do they do this? How many people love their neighbors as themselves? Any Christian that presumes to fulfill this mandate is sadly mistaken.

Here's an example: Mark 7:19 states: "Thus he declared all foods clean" Here we have the standard by which one distinguishes clean animals from unclean being done away with altogether. There is now nothing by which to determine one from the other. This philosophy is carried on with respect to the rest of the law. How can this be proven? By simply asking the question I've just asked and noting the lack of response. When the standard is removed there are no moral dilemmas.

heavenforbid

Feb 9, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I faced a moral dilemma today at the bus stop, when a woman asked me for 50 cents.

Oh I've only got a 20 cent coin and...hmmm

I'll top that and give her a note, damn I only have a 20.

Should I give her the whole note?

Nah, I've done that to many times, and I always end up short.

I know I'll get change, oh no the bus is coming.

What do I do, what do I do?

I'll duck into that 2 dollar shop and get change.

Whaaaat? Two people are being served there, I'll miss the bus!

This is too silly, I guess I'll give her my 20 cent coin.

Next time, next time.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I faced a moral dilemma today at the bus stop, when a woman asked me for 50 cents.

Oh I've only got a 20 cent coin and...hmmm

I'll top that and give her a note, damn I only have a 20.
Damn?

Should I give her the whole note?
I don't know where you're posting this reply from, but here in the US 51% of the note is sufficient, but you might as well give her the whole note as the 49% in your hand is worthless.

Nah, I've done that to many times, and I always end up short.
Not when you are truly giving her the note.

I know I'll get change, oh no the bus is coming.

What do I do, what do I do?
The boy scouts used to have this saying; be prepared.

I'll duck into that 2 dollar shop and get change.

Whaaaat? Two people are being served there, I'll miss the bus!

This is too silly, I guess I'll give her my 20 cent coin.

Next time, next time.
"next time, next time" doesn't sound like "faced a moral dilemma". To face a moral dilemma is to deal with the dilemma; 'next time' is procrastination, no?

You gave her the .20 cent coin, which is that much closer to getting bus fare; or a bottle in my neighborhood.

Thank you for your response. Most people don't think of it as a moral dilemma, so you're the exception to the rule. If you had the exact change necessary for her to get on the bus, the trick is to fumble in your purse, or stall by going into the store, and then presenting the exact change necessary to the bus driver as she is getting on the bus. This prevents her from giving you the slip and "missing" the bus. I don't know how many times I've seen someone with a sign that says, "hungry", or "just hungry", yet when food is presented to them, they set it aside and resume holding their sign. Why? Because they're not hungry at all; they're thirsty and they just need money to get a bottle.

heavenforbid

Feb 9, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
shnarkle said:
Damn?

I don't know where you're posting this reply from, but here in the US 51% of the note is sufficient, but you might as well give her the whole note as the 49% in your hand is worthless.

Not when you are truly giving her the note.

The boy scouts used to have this saying; be prepared.

"next time, next time" doesn't sound like "faced a moral dilemma". To face a moral dilemma is to deal with the dilemma; 'next time' is procrastination, no?

You gave her the .20 cent coin, which is that much closer to getting bus fare; or a bottle in my neighborhood.

Thank you for your response. Most people don't think of it as a moral dilemma, so you're the exception to the rule. If you had the exact change necessary for her to get on the bus, the trick is to fumble in your purse, or stall by going into the store, and then presenting the exact change necessary to the bus driver as she is getting on the bus. This prevents her from giving you the slip and "missing" the bus. I don't know how many times I've seen someone with a sign that says, "hungry", or "just hungry", yet when food is presented to them, they set it aside and resume holding their sign. Why? Because they're not hungry at all; they're thirsty and they just need money to get a bottle.
Oh you can't buy anything for 20 cents in Australia.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Oh you can't buy anything for 20 cents in Australia.
You can buy slack anywhere with whatever you have to give. You can literally feel the slack entering into the world around you when the money leaves your hand. The widows mite is greater than all the wealth that the Pharisees conspicuously drop into the treasury. Don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing; simply plunge your hand down into your pocket and hand her whatever you have. It's not like she's going to refuse it, is she?

You can't buy anything in the US with .20 cents either, but maybe people over here are more grateful for whatever you can give them; over here it all adds up eventually. Over here, a lot of signs say, "Anything helps" meaning they'll take a penny if you don't need it.

heavenforbid

Feb 9, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
shnarkle said:
You can buy slack anywhere with whatever you have to give. You can literally feel the slack entering into the world around you when the money leaves your hand. The widows mite is greater than all the wealth that the Pharisees conspicuously drop into the treasury. Don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing; simply plunge your hand down into your pocket and hand her whatever you have. It's not like she's going to refuse it, is she?

You can't buy anything in the US with .20 cents either, but maybe people over here are more grateful for whatever you can give them; over here it all adds up eventually. Over here, a lot of signs say, "Anything helps" meaning they'll take a penny if you don't need it.
I'm not thinking about it anymore.