Where did the holiday Christmas come from?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t believe that’s true of all Christians, that they care more about what men say than what God’s Word says. I believe most of us genuinely do put God’s Word first. I certainly do. But does that mean we should not study history and archaeology and every other area of research to learn as much as possible about the background of the Bible, and especially the life of Christ? After all, the Scriptures were written about events that took place in actual historical times and places among real people, so history has much to share with us to help us better understand the life of Jesus and the times in which he lived.

I agree that the Gospels do not give us the date of Jesus’ birth. But the Gospels don’t give us dates for any of the events of Jesus’ life and ministry. It is only by the very rare reference to who was ruling at the time or the occasional reference to something that corresponds to a calendar date that we can construct a reasonable chronology of the life of Christ.

You said, “The best we can do is make a educated guess from the scriptures ..” And I agree, and that is the whole purpose of studying history as well as all the other branches of inquiry that can actually provide the “education” we need to make a reasonably correct guess. The real problem is that in this www.testament world we live in of blogs and videos and social media doctrine, there is a proliferation of people who are claiming that 2000 years of Christian scholarship has gotten it all wrong, and they have it all figured out, that they know what really happened 2000 years ago but those living at or very close to that time got it wrong.

For example, it can not be correct that Jesus was crucified on Nisan 14. The actual evidence, and there is a lot of evidence to weigh, from both the Scripture as well as historical records such as the Talmudic tractate “Pesach” which describes to the hour exactly how Passover was observed by the Jews during New Testament times, give us a very reliable idea of how Passover was actually observed and therefore the course of events during Easter week. The Passover lambs were sacrificed on the afternoon of Nisan 14, from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. and were eaten that evening which, by Jewish reckoning, the evening of Nisan 14 was the beginning of Nisan 15 and the first feast at which unleavened bread was eaten along with the lamb. By Roman reckoning, the Passover and the 1st day of Unleavened Bread fell on the same day (a Thursday of our Lord’s Passion) because their calendar, like ours, ran from midnight to midnight. Jesus’ disciples prepared the Passover that day (Thursday) and the evening of that same day (Thursday) they ate this Passover lamb with unleavened bread (the beginning of Nisan 15 on the Jewish calendar and the first day of eating unleavened bread), and later that night Jesus was arrested, and the next morning at 9:00 a.m. (still Nisan 15) he was crucified and died at 3:00 p.m. and was hurriedly buried before the onset of the Sabbath at sunset and the beginning of Nisan 16. That is a very brief outline, but there is a wealth of data that underlies it.

Now we can debate whether or not the Jews were correctly observing the Passover, some argue they got it wrong, but what is not debatable is how and when 1st century Jews understood and observed the Passover because they wrote down very detailed hour by hour instructions. And since the Gospels record that Jesus and the disciples observed the Passover with the rest of the people, again, his observance, and therefore his arrest and crucifixion, would have been according to the manner and timing that 1st century Jews observed the Passover/Unleavened Bread.

So there is a lot of history that comes into play in our “educated guess,” and when we only have a few pieces and not all the evidence, it can lead to a wrong conclusion. I tend to think most Christians are simply unaware of all this rich history we have available to us and are basing their objections to Christmas and Easter on unverified opinions and assumptions, and people are jumping to conclusions without knowing all the facts. Christian scholarship has done a poor job of educating people, but as they say, "a lie can travel half way round the world before the truth can get its pants on." No disgrace to truth, it takes its time and in the end proves right.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer
I have no problem with people studying history and archaeology, the problem I have is people compromising the word of God that God inspired men to write down. The Scripture is going to come first with me. What God did is going to come first with me. For example human beings when they study the history of the scriptures and they discover that man took God's name YHWH out of the scriptures. God is the person who put his name YHWH in the scriptures yet these men took it out as though God did something wrong by putting his name YHWH in the scriptures. Today when most people discover that God's name YHWH has been taken out of scripture by men they think nothing of it. It's as though God putting his name YHWH in scripture then taken out by men, it was no big deal to them that it remains out of scripture. They think what men have done, taken God's name YHWH out of scripture, to be more important than when God put his name YHWH in scripture. Studying history and archaeology is fine, it's that human beings in their studying of history or archaeology using it to corrupt the truth, I'm against. People do think what men have done to be more important than what God has done.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God does not change . Christmas and Easter have false religion connected to them. You don't take what has to do with false religion and combine it with God or his truth that's in the scriptures. People think it's ok to accept Christmas and Easter even though fertility gods, wizardry, magic(demons) are connected to these days. They do that why, because they think it's ok now because God has changed? God didn't accept taking what belongs to demons and combine it with him in the past so be cause god doesn't change he doesn't accept it today, you can think God has changed by saying, "light overcomes darkness" and think it ok to take what belongs to demons and associate with them, but it's not. In the new testament God still says he doesn't want his people associating with false gods(demons).

1 Corinthians 10:6,7 "Now these things became examples for us, in order for us not to desire injurious things, as they desired them. Neither become idolaters, as some of them did; just as it is written: “The people sat down to eat and drink. Then they got up to have a good time.”

Acts 15: 28,29 "For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you except these necessary things: to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you carefully keep yourselves from these things, you will prosper. Good health to you!”

Christians have nothing to do with anything or any day that has demons connected to it. People can think God has changed in this but he hasn't.

You are blindly repeating yourself like a broken record stuck on a point I have already addressed with you over and over.

Read my lips-- No, God does not change! ...BUT, He did and does change ("overcomes"/overcame) the world.

Will you not acknowledge that God DOES change people? (What kind of person would not?)

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no problem with people studying history and archaeology, the problem I have is people compromising the word of God that God inspired men to write down. The Scripture is going to come first with me. What God did is going to come first with me. For example human beings when they study the history of the scriptures and they discover that man took God's name YHWH out of the scriptures. God is the person who put his name YHWH in the scriptures yet these men took it out as though God did something wrong by putting his name YHWH in the scriptures. Today when most people discover that God's name YHWH has been taken out of scripture by men they think nothing of it. It's as though God putting his name YHWH in scripture then taken out by men, it was no big deal to them that it remains out of scripture. They think what men have done, taken God's name YHWH out of scripture, to be more important than when God put his name YHWH in scripture. Studying history and archaeology is fine, it's that human beings in their studying of history or archaeology using it to corrupt the truth, I'm against. People do think what men have done to be more important than what God has done.
Barney, you do not have to worry about YHWH's Name being taken out of the Scripture.

Elohenu Abraham Elohenu Issac Elohenu Jacob was never removed from the Holy Scripture.

"In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God/Elohim and the Word was God/Elohim." - John 1:1

"and the Word became flesh and dwelt among us"
"Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.”

And there is no other God besides Me,
A just God and a Savior;
There is none besides Me.

“Look to Me, and be saved,
All you ends of the earth!
For I am God, and there is no other.
I have sworn by Myself;
The word has gone out of My mouth in righteousness,
And shall not return,
That to Me every knee shall bow, - Isaiah 45:21-23

Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.
Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name,
that at the Name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth,
and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is LORD, to the glory of God the Father.
Philippians 2:5-11

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Barney, you do not have to worry about YHWH's Name being taken out of the Scripture.

Elohenu Abraham Elohenu Issac Elohenu Jacob was never removed from the Holy Scripture.

"In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God/Elohim and the Word was God/Elohim." - John 1:1

"and the Word became flesh and dwelt among us"
"Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.”

And there is no other God besides Me,
A just God and a Savior;
There is none besides Me.

“Look to Me, and be saved,
All you ends of the earth!
For I am God, and there is no other.
I have sworn by Myself;
The word has gone out of My mouth in righteousness,
And shall not return,
That to Me every knee shall bow, - Isaiah 45:21-23

Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.
Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name,
that at the Name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth,
and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is LORD, to the glory of God the Father.
Philippians 2:5-11
The personal name of God YHWH(Jehovah/Yahweh) which is the personal name of God that he inspired to be written down 6,828 times in the Hebrew text printed in Biblica Hebraic and Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia. The frequency of the appearance of this name YHWH attests to it's importance to the Bibles Author YHWH God. YHWH used throughout the scriptures far outnumbers that of any titles, such as "Sovereign Lord" or "God"(Elohim) applied to him.
Titles such a as "God"(Elohim) is neither personal nor distinctive because a person can make a God of his belly. In the Hebrew scriptures the word titles such a as "God"(Elohim) are applied to the true God YHWH but to false gods as well for example the philistine god Dagon(Judges 16:23,24; 1 Samuel 25:25; Psalms 20:1; Proverbs 22:1) and the Assyrian god Nisroch(2 Kings 19:37) So for a Hebrew man to tell a philistine or an Assyrian man that he worshiped, "God"(Elohim) would obviously not have sufficed to identify the person whom he worshiped.

The articles on YHWH(Jehovah/Yahweh)
in, The Imperial Bible-Dictionary illustrates the difference between "God"(Elohim) and YHWH(Jehovah/Yahweh). Of the name YHWH(Jehovah/Yahweh), it says: "It is everywhere a proper name, denoting the personal God and him only; whereas Elohim(God) partakes more of the character of a common noun, denoting usually, indeed, but not necessarily nor uniformly, the Supreme God. The Hebrew may say something like "the Elohim" or "the true God," in opposition to all false god's; but he never says, "the YHWH," for YHWH(Jehovah/Yahweh) is the name of the true God only.He says again and again, "my God" but never "my YHWH"
for when he says my God, he means YHWH(Jehovah/Yahweh). He speaks of the God of Israel, but never of the YHWH of Israel, for there is no other YHWH. He speaks of the living God, but never of the living YHWH, for he cannot conceive of YHWH as other than living.”

The same is true with Greek term "Theos"(God). It's applied alike to the true God and to pagan gods as Zeus and Hermes, and Roman Jupiter and Mercury.(Acts 14:11-15)

Many modern scholars and Bible translators advocate following the tradition of eliminating the distinctive name of God. They not only claim that its uncertain pronunciation justifies such a course but also hold that the supremacy and uniqueness of the true God make unnecessary his having a particular name. Such a view receives no support from the inspired Scriptures, either those of pre-Christian times or those of the Christian Greek Scriptures.

Those scriptures you quoted, John 1:1 Philippians 2:5-11 don't prove Jesus to be God.
In fact those try to prove Philippians 2:5-11 is proof that Jesus is God or equal to him, it actually proves the opposite.
When you quote Philippians 2:5-11 you want people to ignore verses 3 & 4 of Philippians chapter 2 but you have to include verses 3 & 4 to keep Philippian 2:5-11 in context. Too many take this scripture out of context.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The personal name of God YHWH(Jehovah/Yahweh) which is the personal name of God that he inspired to be written down 6,828 times in the Hebrew text printed in Biblica Hebraic and Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia. The frequency of the appearance of this name YHWH attests to it's importance to the Bibles Author YHWH God. YHWH used throughout the scriptures far outnumbers that of any titles, such as "Sovereign Lord" or "God"(Elohim) applied to him.
Titles such a as "God"(Elohim) is neither personal nor distinctive because a person can make a God of his belly. In the Hebrew scriptures the word titles such a as "God"(Elohim) are applied to the true God YHWH but to false gods as well for example the philistine god Dagon(Judges 16:23,24; 1 Samuel 25:25; Psalms 20:1; Proverbs 22:1) and the Assyrian god Nisroch(2 Kings 19:37) So for a Hebrew man to tell a philistine or an Assyrian man that he worshiped, "God"(Elohim) would obviously not have sufficed to identify the person whom he worshiped.

The articles on YHWH(Jehovah/Yahweh)
in, The Imperial Bible-Dictionary illustrates the difference between "God"(Elohim) and YHWH(Jehovah/Yahweh). Of the name YHWH(Jehovah/Yahweh), it says: "It is everywhere a proper name, denoting the personal God and him only; whereas Elohim(God) partakes more of the character of a common noun, denoting usually, indeed, but not necessarily nor uniformly, the Supreme God. The Hebrew may say something like "the Elohim" or "the true God," in opposition to all false god's; but he never says, "the YHWH," for YHWH(Jehovah/Yahweh) is the name of the true God only.He says again and again, "my God" but never "my YHWH"
for when he says my God, he means YHWH(Jehovah/Yahweh). He speaks of the God of Israel, but never of the YHWH of Israel, for there is no other YHWH. He speaks of the living God, but never of the living YHWH, for he cannot conceive of YHWH as other than living.”

The same is true with Greek term "Theos"(God). It's applied alike to the true God and to pagan gods as Zeus and Hermes, and Roman Jupiter and Mercury.(Acts 14:11-15)

Many modern scholars and Bible translators advocate following the tradition of eliminating the distinctive name of God. They not only claim that its uncertain pronunciation justifies such a course but also hold that the supremacy and uniqueness of the true God make unnecessary his having a particular name. Such a view receives no support from the inspired Scriptures, either those of pre-Christian times or those of the Christian Greek Scriptures.

Those scriptures you quoted, John 1:1 Philippians 2:5-11 don't prove Jesus to be God.
In fact those try to prove Philippians 2:5-11 is proof that Jesus is God or equal to him, it actually proves the opposite.
When you quote Philippians 2:5-11 you want people to ignore verses 3 & 4 of Philippians chapter 2 but you have to include verses 3 & 4 to keep Philippian 2:5-11 in context. Too many take this scripture out of context.
Your religion keeps you from knowing YHWH for JESUS is YHWH = Just as the WORD declares it.

"For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many gods and many lords),
yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord(YHWH) Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live."
1 Corinthians 8:5-6

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem is you have denied what is even now apparent by present and historic practices celebrating Christ on Christmas and Easter. The fact is, many Christians have and do celebrate these former pagan holidays--not to celebrate paganism, but to celebrate Christ.

But Jesus said to him, “Do not forbid him, for he who is not against us is on our side.”​
What is apparent, is that some people (I trust you are not one of them) will cling to their beliefs even in the face of evidence to the contrary. I understand that. Some people's doctrine, such as the Jehovah's Witnesses (where a lot of this anti-Christian argument is coming from- the anonymity of social media makes it easy to spread their doctrines), they have been taught by the Watchtower Society that they alone know the truth and "Christianity" is apostate. So insisting, even in the face of evidence to the contrary, that Christmas and Easter are "pagan" holidays that Christians "adopted" (along with all sorts of other "paganism" that Christianity supposedly adopted) supports their deeply held convictions about the Christian faith. I get that. I don't agree with it of course, I know that's not true, but I understand how the evidence undermines their argument and why they blindly reject any possibility of error. They need it to be true.

And then there are others, the anti-Roman Catholic Church crowd who, again, base their doctrines on the "paganization" of the RCC and again, will cling to whatever will support their anti-Catholic bias (and I am an Evangelical Protestant, so I'm not defending the RCC).
And then there are those who would shackle the church with the bondage of the Law who not only base their doctrine on Christmas and Easter and all of Christendom being "paganized," but they advocate for a return to observing the Old Covenant feasts which celebrated the shadows of things to come rather than the Christian feasts which celebrate their fulfillment.

You speak of denial and what is apparent. But what is truly apparent is the denial of large swaths of people about the true origins of Christmas and Easter, which are uniquely Christian holidays that were recorded in writing being observed by Christians since the time of the Apostles in celebration of the most important Biblical events in the life of Jesus. The truth is, it's not Christians who adopted pagan holidays, but non-Christians who have adopted Christian holidays, ignoring the religious aspects and using them as an excuse to party.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God does not change . Christmas and Easter have false religion connected to them. You don't take what has to do with false religion and combine it with God or his truth that's in the scriptures. People think it's ok to accept Christmas and Easter even though fertility gods, wizardry, magic(demons) are connected to these days. They do that why, because they think it's ok now because God has changed? God didn't accept taking what belongs to demons and combine it with him in the past so be cause god doesn't change he doesn't accept it today, you can think God has changed by saying, "light overcomes darkness" and think it ok to take what belongs to demons and associate with them, but it's not. In the new testament God still says he doesn't want his people associating with false gods(demons).

1 Corinthians 10:6,7 "Now these things became examples for us, in order for us not to desire injurious things, as they desired them. Neither become idolaters, as some of them did; just as it is written: “The people sat down to eat and drink. Then they got up to have a good time.”

Acts 15: 28,29 "For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you except these necessary things: to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you carefully keep yourselves from these things, you will prosper. Good health to you!”

Christians have nothing to do with anything or any day that has demons connected to it. People can think God has changed in this but he hasn't.
But you have things backwards. Christmas and Easter are uniquely Christian holidays that date back in writing to the time of the Apostles. There were no pagan religions that celebrated anything on December 25, and that has been documented by historians and archaeologists the world over who have studied ancient religions. Nor did any pagan religion ever observe the Sunday following the Paschal moon. Again, a uniquely Christian holiday based not on paganism, but on Judaism's observance of the Passover. Through the centuries, as Christianity has spread, more and more non-Christians have come to celebrate these holidays. Now granted, many if not most non-Christians ignore the religious aspects and use these Christian observances as an excuse to party, which has given rise to the criticisms of excess and materialism during the holidays. But that's not because Christians are celebrating pagan holidays, but because pagans are celebrating Christian holidays in a non-Christian and even profane way!

Fertility gods? Neither Christmas nor Easter having anything to do with fertility gods. Or with wizardry, or with magic. Drunken revelry and gross materialism have come to be associated with the holidays not because the holidays are profane, but because the manner in which some celebrate them is profane. And the caricatures of Christian saints and misunderstandings based on ignorance of ancient Christian practices have led to all kinds of foolish claims, like Easter eggs being associated with fertility for heaven's sake! What nonsense.

There are no "demons" associated with Christmas or Easter, the "demons" are on the other side, trying to stamp out what has become a witness all over the world that "unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord." The message a world dying in sin desperately needs to hear, even in places where "Christianity" is banned and preaching the Gospel is a death sentence, but where even those in the darkest most remote corners of the world are exposed to the worldwide celebration of Christmas. Oh, how the enemy of the Gospel would love to silence that witness!

So if you want to talk about the "spiritual landscape" around these Christian observances that have spread throughout the world, I think that looks very different from the picture you paint. But I'm no theologian, I'm just a historian, so I would rather keep this about the historical evidence for where Christmas and Easter originated. But it does remind me of what Jesus said, that every sin may be forgiven a man, except one ... attributing to devils what is the work of God.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I also have a problem with anyone who studies history or archaeology in order to compromise or corrupt the truth. Which is why I don't just accept what people say about history or archaeology like some do, relying on some "elders" or other men to tell me about history. All the historical and archaeological data is available, and I can study it for myself, and I can draw my own conclusions about what history and archaeology actually says, not to corrupt or compromise the Scriptures, but to give me a better understanding of the historical background in which the Scriptures were written. And consequently, I quote not only Scripture, but also quote actual historical and archaeological records. I don't quote the books and pamphlets and websites and blogs and teachings of contemporary men, even encyclopedias, as I am often "advised" to do, they may be wrong, and I know for a fact, since they represent some "scholars" opinion, they very often ARE wrong. But God is never wrong, and he has left us plenty of evidence of His hand at work in this world, if we have enough faith in Him to rely on Him and Him alone when we investigate and research the Scriptures, and the world where God brought the Scriptures to life, without some group of people to hand feed us their version, which very well may compromise or corrupt the truth.

As to the Tetragrammaton, the Hebrew letters you used, YHWH (yodh, heh, waw, heh), are NOT the Latinized form of that name which is JHVH ... FROM WHICH Latinized form was derived the name "Jehovah." So perhaps you will understand if I don't agree with your views about the "correct" name of God.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you have things backwards. Christmas and Easter are uniquely Christian holidays that date back in writing to the time of the Apostles. There were no pagan religions that celebrated anything on December 25, and that has been documented by historians and archaeologists the world over who have studied ancient religions. Nor did any pagan religion ever observe the Sunday following the Paschal moon. Again, a uniquely Christian holiday based not on paganism, but on Judaism's observance of the Passover. Through the centuries, as Christianity has spread, more and more non-Christians have come to celebrate these holidays. Now granted, many if not most non-Christians ignore the religious aspects and use these Christian observances as an excuse to party, which has given rise to the criticisms of excess and materialism during the holidays. But that's not because Christians are celebrating pagan holidays, but because pagans are celebrating Christian holidays in a non-Christian and even profane way!

Fertility gods? Neither Christmas nor Easter having anything to do with fertility gods. Or with wizardry, or with magic. Drunken revelry and gross materialism have come to be associated with the holidays not because the holidays are profane, but because the manner in which some celebrate them is profane. And the caricatures of Christian saints and misunderstandings based on ignorance of ancient Christian practices have led to all kinds of foolish claims, like Easter eggs being associated with fertility for heaven's sake! What nonsense.

There are no "demons" associated with Christmas or Easter, the "demons" are on the other side, trying to stamp out what has become a witness all over the world that "unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord." The message a world dying in sin desperately needs to hear, even in places where "Christianity" is banned and preaching the Gospel is a death sentence, but where even those in the darkest most remote corners of the world are exposed to the worldwide celebration of Christmas. Oh, how the enemy of the Gospel would love to silence that witness!

So if you want to talk about the "spiritual landscape" around these Christian observances that have spread throughout the world, I think that looks very different from the picture you paint. But I'm no theologian, I'm just a historian, so I would rather keep this about the historical evidence for where Christmas and Easter originated. But it does remind me of what Jesus said, that every sin may be forgiven a man, except one ... attributing to devils what is the work of God.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer
Satan Clause wizards and magic is associated with Christmas. Just look at the Santa Clause cartoons we allow our children to watch. It was a wizard with magic beans that gave Santa's reindeer the ability to fly. Why would we as Christians submit our children to this.

Bunny Rabbits and eggs have always been symbols of fertility, the word Easter comes from a goddess of fertility, Ishtar.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is apparent, is that some people (I trust you are not one of them) will cling to their beliefs even in the face of evidence to the contrary. I understand that. Some people's doctrine, such as the Jehovah's Witnesses (where a lot of this anti-Christian argument is coming from- the anonymity of social media makes it easy to spread their doctrines), they have been taught by the Watchtower Society that they alone know the truth and "Christianity" is apostate. So insisting, even in the face of evidence to the contrary, that Christmas and Easter are "pagan" holidays that Christians "adopted" (along with all sorts of other "paganism" that Christianity supposedly adopted) supports their deeply held convictions about the Christian faith. I get that. I don't agree with it of course, I know that's not true, but I understand how the evidence undermines their argument and why they blindly reject any possibility of error. They need it to be true.

And then there are others, the anti-Roman Catholic Church crowd who, again, base their doctrines on the "paganization" of the RCC and again, will cling to whatever will support their anti-Catholic bias (and I am an Evangelical Protestant, so I'm not defending the RCC).
And then there are those who would shackle the church with the bondage of the Law who not only base their doctrine on Christmas and Easter and all of Christendom being "paganized," but they advocate for a return to observing the Old Covenant feasts which celebrated the shadows of things to come rather than the Christian feasts which celebrate their fulfillment.

You speak of denial and what is apparent. But what is truly apparent is the denial of large swaths of people about the true origins of Christmas and Easter, which are uniquely Christian holidays that were recorded in writing being observed by Christians since the time of the Apostles in celebration of the most important Biblical events in the life of Jesus. The truth is, it's not Christians who adopted pagan holidays, but non-Christians who have adopted Christian holidays, ignoring the religious aspects and using them as an excuse to party.

In Christ,
Pilgrimer

Now we're getting somewhere.

But debating the details in standoff is of no profit. You mention the church being apostate according to the Jehovah's Witnesses--well, it is and it isn't--not excluding themselves. Both were foretold. Both being lead unto all truth, and also many being deceived has all been foretold. But even that gives every participant the opportunity to say, "Is it I Master?" And the answer to all, is, Yes-- we all sent Jesus to the cross, and this is our time and our part of walking it out--which has been described by "strong delusion" and "great apostacy."

My point, and my encouragement regarding those who hold Christ in their hearts during these times regardless of pagan or evil pasts--from which we all came, is that saying Yes to Christ makes all foes powerless. As for practices--it is not in the practice that one is judged, but in the heart--which is according to the love of Christ as expressed by Him regarding children.

To the contrary--what is in the heart of those who villainize others of whom such legalism does no longer apply?

Pilgrimer

Jun 20, 2013
Mobile, Alabama
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan Clause wizards and magic is associated with Christmas. Just look at the Santa Clause cartoons we allow our children to watch. It was a wizard with magic beans that gave Santa's reindeer the ability to fly. Why would we as Christians submit our children to this.

Bunny Rabbits and eggs have always been symbols of fertility, the word Easter comes from a goddess of fertility, Ishtar.
Mr. Bright, I believe we are intelligent enough to be able to separate fact from fiction. Contrary to the popular theories rampaging across the web, Santa Claus is no mythical person derived from pagan fables. Nor is he the jolly old elf adorned in a red suit circling the globe on Christmas Eve in a sleigh pulled by eight tiny reindeer, a caricature of this historical saint developed in the 19th century by popular American culture. Santa Claus (Saint Nicholas), was an actual historical person from the early years of Christian history. He was born March 15, 270 A.D. in the town of Myra in Asia Minor, in modern-day Turkey, and died December 6, 343 A.D. During his life he was witness to some of the most important events in early Christian history and lived an exemplary life of service to the poor, particularly children, for whom he operated an orphanage in a time when orphaned children were often left to die on the streets alone and forgotten. His devotion to benevolence in the name of Christ gave rise to the legends associated with him. One such act for which he was remembered was traveling throughout his parish on Christmas Eve delivering food to the poor that they might celebrate the “Feast of the Nativity,” as Christmas was originally called, including toys and fruits for the children, for example. He suffered arrest and torture during the Diocletion persecution, the last and most brutal of Christian persecutions by Rome, and became a “Confessor,” someone who suffered and survived torture in the name of Christ and forever bore in his scarred face the proof of his devotion to Christ. He also was one of the attendees of the Nicene Council and was a signatory to the Nicene Creed. It wasn’t until the 19th century when a poem published in the Saturday Evening Post in New York City (Twas the Night Before Christmas) became popular that morphed Saint Nicolas, who had previously been portrayed as a tall, gaunt figure in clerical robes, into the rotund, jolly figure that the secular world has adopted as the iconic image of this historic saint.

As the old saying goes, lies travel halfway around the world before the truth can get its pants on. And with the advent of the internet, they circulate at the speed of light.

You said: "Bunny Rabbits and eggs have always been symbols of fertility, the word Easter comes from a goddess of fertility, Ishtar."

Again, I know the theory that the word Easter is derived from the ancient Assyrian goddess Ishtar is very popular right now, but it’s simply not true. This idea that has taken the internet by storm is a complete fabrication, and you don’t even have to study the research and findings of noted Assyriologists (I would be happy to cite references if you would like), just do a simple fact check to see where this myth originated:
Easter not derived from name of ancient Mesopotamian goddess

The actual etymological history of the word “Easter” is simple. The word was first coined by William Tyndale in the 16th century in the first translation of the Hebrew and Greek Scriptures into English. He worked closely with Martin Luther, who had already translated the Scriptures into German, and Tyndale borrowed heavily from Luther’s German language to “coin” (make up) corresponding English words, such as Jehovah, Passover, Easter (English translation of the German word “Oster” which is the word Germans use to this day for the English Easter), scapegoat, mercy seat, atonement, and many other new English words Tyndale coined to translate the Hebrew and Greek for which there were no corresponding English words.

And as for Easter eggs and bunnies and baby chicks, again, those popular theories burning up the internet are all fabrications. From the very beginning of the church, fasting during the 40 days leading up to Easter was the custom of Christians that is still practiced today by orthodox churches throughout the world. In those early years, new converts to the faith spent the 40 days leading up to Easter (called Lent) being instructed in the doctrines of the faith and were baptized on Easter Sunday, or what originally was called the “Feast of the Resurrection.” And the products Christians have historically abstained from during fasts are animal products: meat, eggs, and dairy including milk, cheese, butter, or what is called “fats.” Eventually, other items were added, such as sweets and finally alcohol. Mardi Gras season (French for "Fat Tuesday"), the period between Christmastide and Lent, (my hometown of Mobile, AL is where Mardi Gras was first observed in the U.S.) ends on “Fat Tuesday,” because it is the last day on which “fats” (animal products) can be eaten, followed by “Ash Wednesday,” the beginning of the Lenten fast. Of course, non-Christians have adopted the Mardi Gras celebration and in some cultures, it has become an irreligious celebration of excess and drunkenness. But for the faithful, it marks the last day on which fats can be enjoyed before the Lenten fast begins, which ends on Easter Sunday with a feast to celebrate the Resurrection of Christ.
And so also with bunnies and baby chicks and Easter baskets. None of these customs derive or have anything to do with paganism. Being the granddaughter of a farmer, I am well aware of how 40 days of refraining from eating eggs would mean a surfeit of eggs that would not all last until Easter, many would inevitably spoil. So, as Christians housewives who observed Lent came to do for millennia, they left the eggs for their hens to set and the Easter season would see the farmyard filled with baby chicks. Is it any wonder then that children, and even adults, have come to associate baby chicks with Easter?

We Protestants do not participate in all these orthodox observances, nor do we fast during Lent. So what has happened is we have kept some of the customs left over from our Catholic and Orthodox roots, such as eggs and sweets being an important part of our Easter feast, but since Protestants generally refrain from the practice of fasting, the reason that eggs and chocolate play such an important role has been forgotten. Perhaps it’s time we rediscover the roots of our familiar customs so that we will no longer be misled by those who claim that Easter eggs and rabbits and baby chicks are some imagined adoption of pagan fertility symbolism rather than the truth, that these customs are the simple practice of Christians humbly and reverently living out and celebrating their faith.
In Christ,
Pilgrimer