Where does the Bible say...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or where does it say you have the authority to read and make doctrines or faith for yourself?

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does the Bible say the Bible is the final authority?
Predicated of course on reaching an agreement that the Bible contains the inspired words from God.
Deuteronomy 4:2 Do not add a thing to what I command you nor subtract from it, so that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God that I am delivering to you.

And, "So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper [in the thing] whereto I sent it." Isaiah 55:11

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Predicated of course on reaching an agreement that the Bible contains the inspired words from God.
Deuteronomy 4:2 Do not add a thing to what I command you nor subtract from it, so that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God that I am delivering to you.

And, "So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper [in the thing] whereto I sent it." Isaiah 55:11

that’s true but there must be an authority

Teaching authority of the Apostles and their successors in the church founded in the one true founded by Jesus Christ!

Jesus Christ is the head of the church, (eph 5:23) the body of Christ,
(col 1:18) the new and eternal covenant, (pre-figured Jer 31:31) (Heb 8:8) new covenant replaces the Mosaic covenant, (Heb 8:13) Christ replaces David as king, (Lk 1:32-33) Jesus Christ is the only mediator between God and men, (1 Tim 2:5 & Heb 12:24) but a mediator remains on earth mediating between God and His people, but Christ ascended to heaven, (acts 1) before He did He founded His church, on Peter, and the apostles, and their successors!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 2:42 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 16:13
Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20

We must be taught by Peter, the apostles, and their successors! Lk 10:16 Matt 28:19 Jn 21:17

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Lk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

Col 2:7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

————————-

The obedience of faith!

Rom 1:5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name.

Taught the one true faith revealed by Christ to His apostles! Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3

we must obey those who God puts in authority over us! Matt 28:19 teach them to observe all things I have commanded you

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
that’s true but there must be an authority

Teaching authority of the Apostles and their successors in the church founded in the one true founded by Jesus Christ!

Jesus Christ is the head of the church, (eph 5:23) the body of Christ,
(col 1:18) the new and eternal covenant, (pre-figured Jer 31:31) (Heb 8:8) new covenant replaces the Mosaic covenant, (Heb 8:13) Christ replaces David as king, (Lk 1:32-33) Jesus Christ is the only mediator between God and men, (1 Tim 2:5 & Heb 12:24) but a mediator remains on earth mediating between God and His people, but Christ ascended to heaven, (acts 1) before He did He founded His church, on Peter, and the apostles, and their successors!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 2:42 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 16:13
Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20

We must be taught by Peter, the apostles, and their successors! Lk 10:16 Matt 28:19 Jn 21:17

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Lk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

Col 2:7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

————————-

The obedience of faith!

Rom 1:5 By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name.

Taught the one true faith revealed by Christ to His apostles! Eph 4:5 Jude 1:3

we must obey those who God puts in authority over us! Matt 28:19 teach them to observe all things I have commanded you

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

Would God not have sent those whom he inspired to copy his words to the world as teachers?
Are we unable, with the indwelling of the holy spirit, to comprehend God's words to us? Perhaps that is why God forewarns us:
1 John 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

2 Peter 1:20-21
Knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone's own interpretation. For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

John 10:31
31 The Jewish leaders[bu] picked up rocks again to stone him to death. 32 Jesus said to them,[bv] “I have shown you many good deeds[bw] from the Father. For which one of them are you going to stone me?” 33 The Jewish leaders[bx] replied,[by] “We are not going to stone you for a good deed[bz] but for blasphemy,[ca] because[cb] you, a man, are claiming to be God.”[cc]

34 Jesus answered,[cd] “Is it not written in your law, ‘I said, you are gods’?[ce] 35 If those people to whom the word of God came were called ‘gods’ (and the scripture cannot be broken),[cf] 36 do you say about the one whom the Father set apart[cg] and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’? 37 If I do not perform[ch] the deeds[ci] of my Father, do not believe me. 38 But if I do them, even if you do not believe me, believe the deeds,[cj] so that you may come to know[ck] and understand that I am in the Father and the Father is in me.” 39 Then[cl] they attempted[cm] again to seize him, but he escaped their clutches.[cn]

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
14:And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Amen.

However - the Holy Spirit, speaking through Paul differentiates the ORAL Teaching of the Word and the WRITTEN teaching of the Word.
Each are EQUALLY binding on us:
2 Thess 2:15
"Stand firm and hold fast to the Traditions you were taught, whether by an ORAL STATEMENT or by a LETTER from us."

Prior to the approval of the Canon of Scripture in the 4th century, churches didn't HAVE Bibles -so answer me this:
Can you show me the verse that states that the WRITTEN Word is our "SOLE" Authority (Sola Scriptura)?

I'll be here waiting for your response . . .

Reactions: WaterSong

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen.

However - the Holy Spirit, speaking through Paul differentiates the ORAL Teaching of the Word and the WRITTEN teaching of the Word.
Each are EQUALLY binding on us:
2 Thess 2:15
"Stand firm and hold fast to the Traditions you were taught, whether by an ORAL STATEMENT or by a LETTER from us."

Prior to the approval of the Canon of Scripture in the 4th century, churches didn't HAVE Bibles -so answer me this:
Can you show me the verse that states that the WRITTEN Word is our "SOLE" Authority (Sola Scriptura)?

I'll be here waiting for your response . . .
Well, since you brought up Paul's epistle, how about that you answered your own question posting this.

2 Thessalonians 2:15
So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter.

Paul's epistles are scripture.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Timothy+3:16-17&version=ESV

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

And since the OT preceded the new, the old being the prophecy to come, the new being prophecy fulfilled:
Proverbs 30:5-6
Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.

Lean not on our own understanding.....
1 John 4:1
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.

John 14:26
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

Which is why it is important I believe to discern whom is of God and whom is not when we seek pastors to lead and guide the church. We are in relationship after all with the greatest power of and within creation. Indwelt by that holy spirit. If we practice, pray, trust, meditate, we will learn how to discern those spirits. And as such follow the path God intends for each one of us uniquely. And as his holy, wholly, church. Here to serve his purpose for the glory of God and the kingdom.

Amen.

Thank you for awaiting my answer. :) I hope it helps. God Bless.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would God not have sent those whom he inspired to copy his words to the world as teachers?
Are we unable, with the indwelling of the holy spirit, to comprehend God's words to us? Perhaps that is why God forewarns us:
1 John 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

2 Peter 1:20-21
Knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone's own interpretation. For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

John 10:31
31 The Jewish leaders[bu] picked up rocks again to stone him to death. 32 Jesus said to them,[bv] “I have shown you many good deeds[bw] from the Father. For which one of them are you going to stone me?” 33 The Jewish leaders[bx] replied,[by] “We are not going to stone you for a good deed[bz] but for blasphemy,[ca] because[cb] you, a man, are claiming to be God.”[cc]

34 Jesus answered,[cd] “Is it not written in your law, ‘I said, you are gods’?[ce] 35 If those people to whom the word of God came were called ‘gods’ (and the scripture cannot be broken),[cf] 36 do you say about the one whom the Father set apart[cg] and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’? 37 If I do not perform[ch] the deeds[ci] of my Father, do not believe me. 38 But if I do them, even if you do not believe me, believe the deeds,[cj] so that you may come to know[ck] and understand that I am in the Father and the Father is in me.” 39 Then[cl] they attempted[cm] again to seize him, but he escaped their clutches.[cn]

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
14:And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

matt 28:19 no he said go and teach

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, since you brought up Paul's epistle, how about that you answered your own question posting this.

2 Thessalonians 2:15
So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter.

Paul's epistles are scripture.

2 Timothy 3:16-17

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

And since the OT preceded the new, the old being the prophecy to come, the new being prophecy fulfilled:
Proverbs 30:5-6
Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.

Lean not on our own understanding.....
1 John 4:1
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.

John 14:26
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

Which is why it is important I believe to discern whom is of God and whom is not when we seek pastors to lead and guide the church. We are in relationship after all with the greatest power of and within creation. Indwelt by that holy spirit. If we practice, pray, trust, meditate, we will learn how to discern those spirits. And as such follow the path God intends for each one of us uniquely. And as his holy, wholly, church. Here to serve his purpose for the glory of God and the kingdom.

Amen.

Thank you for awaiting my answer. :) I hope it helps. God Bless.
Thanks for responding.

However - I'm STILL waiting for a verse that state that Scripture is our SOLE Authority. That is what the false Protestant invention of Sola Scriptura is all about - and what the Protestant Revolt was built upon. If you don't have Scriptural proof for a doctrine that claims Scripture itself is our SOLE Authority - then the doctrine is self-defeating.

Catholics not only understand that Scripture is Authoritative - we told the WORLD about this.
But we recognize that it is not our SOLE Authority in light of the following passages of Scripture, that say Christ's CHURCH is our final earthly Authority . . .

Matt 16:18-19
And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. WHATEVER YOU BIND on earth shall be bound in heaven; and WHATEVER YOU LOOSE on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Matt. 18:17-18
If he refuses to listen to them, tell the CHURCH. If he refuses to listen even to the CHURCH, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.
Amen, I say to you, WHATEVER YOU BIND on earth shall be bound in heaven, and WHATEVER YOU LOOSE on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

John 16:12-15
“I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.
But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to ALL truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to YOU the things that are coming.
He will glorify me, because he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.
Everything that the Father has is MINE; for this reason I told you that he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.

John 20:21-23
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent ME, so I send YOU.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins YOU FORGIVE are forgiven them, and whose sins YOU RETAIN are retained.”

Luke 10:16
Whoever listens to YOU listens to ME. Whoever rejects YOU rejects ME. And whoever rejects ME rejects the ONE who sent ME."

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for responding.

However - I'm STILL waiting for a verse that state that Scripture is our SOLE Authority. That is what the false Protestant invention of Sola Scriptura is all about - and what the Protestant Revolt was built upon. If you don't have Scriptural proof for a doctrine that claims Scripture itself is our SOLE Authority - then the doctrine is self-defeating.

Catholics not only understand that Scripture is Authoritative - we told the WORLD about this.
But we recognize that it is not our SOLE Authority in light of the following passages of Scripture, that say Christ's CHURCH is our final earthly Authority . . .

And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.
I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. WHATEVER YOU BIND on earth shall be bound in heaven; and WHATEVER YOU LOOSE on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

If he refuses to listen to them, tell the CHURCH. If he refuses to listen even to the CHURCH, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.
Amen, I say to you, WHATEVER YOU BIND on earth shall be bound in heaven, and WHATEVER YOU LOOSE on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to ALL truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to YOU the things that are coming.
He will glorify me, because he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.
Everything that the Father has is MINE; for this reason I told you that he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.

Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent ME, so I send YOU.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins YOU FORGIVE are forgiven them, and whose sins YOU RETAIN are retained.”

Whoever listens to YOU listens to ME. Whoever rejects YOU rejects ME. And whoever rejects ME rejects the ONE who sent ME."

1 Timothy 3:15
But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 1:17
For the law was given by Moses, but graceand truth came by Jesus Christ.

not by the Bible alone

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for responding.

Ah, I see now. If you're thinking this is a competition between doctrinal veracity, that of the Protestants compared to that of the Roman Catholics, have at it. There is no scripture that sustains what is today's RCC,, or its doctrine or its offices of Pope and College of Cardinals. Both institutions are manifestations of the Roman government in the time of RCC's manufacture. The Pope=Caesar. The College of Cardinals=Roman Senate.
I shall not participate.

Thanks for informing me of your intentions.
God Bless.

Reactions: ReChoired

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, I see now. If you're thinking this is a competition between doctrinal veracity, that of the Protestants compared to that of the Roman Catholics, have at it. There is no scripture that sustains what is today's RCC,, or its doctrine or its offices of Pope and College of Cardinals. Both institutions are manifestations of the Roman government in the time of RCC's manufacture. The Pope=Caesar. The College of Cardinals=Roman Senate.
I shall not participate.

God Bless.
Truth with Proof is Troof. You spoke the Troof. :)

Even the red shoes that some 'popes' wear are but the campagines of the Roman Emperor. The uplifted chair the sella gestatoria.

[1.] “...But there are others which reveal him to us in another aspect, and which have drifted down through another channel. No saying of ecclesiastical history is more pregnant than that in which Hobbes declares that "the Pope is the ghost of the deceased Roman Empire, sitting crowned upon the grave thereof." This is the true original basis of his dignity and power, and it appears even in the minutest details. If he were to be regarded only as the successor of St. Peter, his chief original seat would, of course, be in the Basilica of St. Peter, over the Apostle's grave. But this is not the case. …”

*[“...But there are others [context: usages of titles/relics of antiquity]...”]

“... The Pope's proper see and Cathedral is the Basilica of St. John " in the Lateran "—that is, in the Lateran palace which was the real and only bequest of Constantine to the Roman Bishop. It had been the palace of the Lateran family. From them it passed to the Imperial dynasty. In it the Empress Fausta, wife of Constantine, usually lived. In it, after Constantine's departure to Constantinople, the Roman Bishop dwelt as a great Roman noble. In it accordingly is the true Pontifical throne, on the platform of which are written the words Hoec est papalis sedes et pontificalis. Over its front is inscribed the decree, Papal and Imperial, declaring it to be the mother and mistress of all churches. In it he takes possession of the See of Rome, and of the government of the Pontifical States. Although the story of Constantine's abdication to Pope Sylvester is one of the fables of the Papacy, yet it has in it this truth—that by the retirement of the Emperors to the East, they left Rome without a head, and that vacant place was naturally and imperceptibly filled by the chief of the rising community. To him the splendor and the attributes, which properly belonged to the Emperor, were unconsciously transferred.

Here, as in the case of ecclesiastical usages, we trace it in the small details which have lingered in him when they have perished elsewhere. The chair of state, the sella gestatoria, in which the Pope is borne aloft, is the ancient palanquin of the Roman nobles, and, of course, of the Roman Princes. The red slippers which he wears are the red shoes, campagines, of the Roman Emperor. ...”,

[2.] “...the Pope is the ghost of the deceased Roman Empire. ...” [Christian Institutions [Essays On Ecclesiastical Subjects]; Arthur Penrhyn Stanley [aka: “STANLEY'S HISTORY”], D.D.; Dean of Westminster; New York, Harper & Brothers, Franklin Square, 1881; [1.] pg 188-189, [2.] pg 201; *notation added for clarification] - http://ia600303.us.archive.org/13/items/christianinst00stan/christianinst00stan.pdf

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I shall not participate.

God Bless.
ALL I asked for was a verse of Scripture that proclaims the Protestant doctrine of Sola Scriptura.
If you can't provide one - just admit it. there is NO need, however, to make such a dramatic exit just because I asked you to prove your position.

In the end - t appears that you "shall not participate" because you don't have an answer . . .

Reactions: historyb

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 8:20:
Isa 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
Sooooooo, where does the Bible say that the Bible is our SOLE Authority?

Reactions: historyb