Where I get stuck on in sharing my faith...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi there,
I have tried to share my faith to others every time, but where I get stuck on is whenever people wonder how I know that Jesus is real and the story is real. How do you get across this barrier and try to help others? What do you say to their wonder/question? I just have seen how my sister who was faithful just got more and more and I, who was once a baby Christian and fallen away, got worse and worse that time. I just feel that after God has always been taking care of me more and more and giving me more and more, even letting me know abundantly and extraordinarily about Him. Thank you so much! btw, I am not an advanced Christian yet.

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Two things that will help:

#1 Before you witness to someone, ask the Holy Spirit for a sign that they want you to share the gospel with them

#2 As mature Christian, make work a priority - Jesus worked with miracles, He didn't just give speeches (pray for the miraculous)

I'm not saying you will always need a sign, or that some work is better than others, I'm just saying a little discernment in these areas, can go a long way to sharing with the Lord's confidence (which you can also pray for!)

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi there,
I have tried to share my faith to others every time, but where I get stuck on is whenever people wonder how I know that Jesus is real and the story is real. How do you get across this barrier and try to help others? What do you say to their wonder/question? I just have seen how my sister who was faithful just got more and more and I, who was once a baby Christian and fallen away, got worse and worse that time. I just feel that after God has always been taking care of me more and more and giving me more and more, even letting me know abundantly and extraordinarily about Him. Thank you so much! btw, I am not an advanced Christian yet.
Start a thread on 'Why do you know Jesus is real?' and learn from others who have been around Christ for some time as they continue to post away. This might serve very useful for you at this time.

Bless you in your walk...

Reactions: Nancy

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi there,
1) Know if you're an evangelist or just a seed-planter.
2) Know if the person you're talking to is ready.
3) Emphasize a personal relationship with the Lord--don't "buy" their faith with promises.

As much as preachers try to get us to be, most of us are not evangelists. We are simply called upon by the Lord to live a godly life as a testimony to the world around us. This will ultimately either plant seeds of faith in others or bring judgment upon them for ignoring your example of who Christ is.

Planting seeds may be just living the Christian life or it may be defending your morality against those who would tempt you. Have a reason for believing as you do. It may be the joy of knowing the Lord, the peace of knowing where you're going, or simply being convinced by any and all reasons that this is the right way by your conscience.

Sometimes people aren't ready, and you will not be led to push the faith upon them. It's best if others around you are interested in why you do what you do. Then you can be responding to them, instead of pushing your religion at them.

Salesmanship turns people off. If you promise the sun, moon, and the stars if they would just believe this cheapens the faith. So just give them what is at the heart of Salvation, a real relationship with the Lord Himself.

This may begin with just following our conscience, doing what is right. But in the end is the experience of God's good pleasure. Answered prayers simply comes with the reality that He watches over those who love Him.

Good luck! :)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi there,
You can only share what you have, not what you haven't got, bugalugs.
So the question you can ask yourself is, 'what is it I have'? .....and if that seems wanting to you, you know the direction, ie, ask and it will be given, knock and the door will be opened, seek and you will find.
Just be sure that when the door is opened you don't close it because it doesn't suit or fit into your current understanding......keep knocking, keep asking, keep seeking!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Listen, for a start , stop beating yourself up.....it will all come to you in Gods timing....he’s working everything out according to his purpose and plan for your life.xx

When I was a new babe I also tried to share my faith, my family thought I had lost the plot and were very concerned for me....I even lost friends over it , ....cast all your concern onto God...he’s the one in control....all the best,xxx

Ps, I pray and hope he speaks to your heart through you reading all the posts on this thread,xx

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Just be sure that when the door is opened you don't close it because it doesn't suit or fit into your current understanding......keep knocking, keep asking, keep seeking!
This is great advice....so often I wouldn’t share because it didn’t fit into my understanding...that’s a thing of the past now, I’ve grown in confidence all thanks to God,xx

SavedInHim

Jan 10, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi there,
I have tried to share my faith to others every time, but where I get stuck on is whenever people wonder how I know that Jesus is real and the story is real. How do you get across this barrier and try to help others?
What I do is tell them is I've researched the historical evidence and the scriptures; and it seems more likely than not Jesus is who He said he is. This was how they did it in Acts. Paul reasoned from the scriptures why Jesus was the Christ; and the Bereans studied the scriptures for themselves to see whether what Paul said was true or not. More than likely they were searching the prophecies to see if Jesus fulfilled them.

But more than that, He's revealed Himself to my spirit and by the countless ways He's blessed me. A relationship with the Lord is always first and foremost a spiritual one.

You can never convince someone Jesus is real if the Holy Spirit doesn't reveal Him to them. You also have to be connected to Him yourself; if you have a close relationship with Him, you shouldn't have any problems telling others how you came by it.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi there,
Thank you for launching this important topic.
The scripture below came to mind while I read your OP. (opening post)

Your personal testimony of what Jesus has done for you is a powerful tool.
You sought his help and he came through for you. What is your before and after story?

You know Jesus is real because ________________ (fill in the blank)

Do you have a conversion story? Or did you come to faith gradually?

Revelation 12:11 NIV
They triumphed over him
by the blood of the Lamb
and by the word of their testimony;
they did not love their lives so much
as to shrink from death.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you so much! btw, I am not an advanced Christian yet.
Your signature line is loaded with such great scriptures.
I would say you are PLENTY mature.
The answers to your questions are in your signature line. IMHO

Cast all your cares on Him for He cares for you. - 1 Peter 5:7

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. - Romans 8:28

Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. - Psalm 37:4

18 The Lord is near to the brokenhearted. He saves the contrite in spirit. 19 Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the LORD delivers him from them all. Psalm 34:18-19

I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you. - Psalm 32:8

1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want (I lack nothing). 2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures: he leads me beside the still waters. 3 He restores my soul: he leads me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - Psalm 23:1-6

14 And this is the confidence that we have before Him: If we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. 15 And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we already possess what we have asked of Him. - 1 John 5:14-15

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. - Ephesians 6:10-18

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just have seen how my sister who was faithful just got more and more and I, who was once a baby Christian and fallen away, got worse and worse that time. I just feel that after God has always been taking care of me more and more and giving me more and more, even letting me know abundantly and extraordinarily about Him.
Another scripture came to mind as I read this.
Especially this translation. (New King James Version)

I love the imagery of a mooring. That we are tied to God.
To prevent drifting away. Which requires some spiritual discipline.

Isaiah 26:3 NKJV
You will keep him in perfect peace,
Whose mind is stayed on You,
Because he trusts in You.

1712227477414.jpeg

/

Reactions: Adrift

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you say to their wonder/question?
You may have seen my two topics below where we discuss some of these things. (links below)

I am witnessing to a friend of 35+ years. A work colleague. We have stayed in touch over the years.
God has brought many divorced people (mostly men) into my life. My ministry was to be friends with them.
They knew that if we got together they would be accepted by me. No preaching or advice. (unless they asked)
We could just be ourselves and have some wholesome uplifting fun together.

In this case I recently invited my friend and his de-churched Christian wife to join us for Easter service this year.
I was Best Man at their wedding last Autumn. Anyway, they accepted the invitation. And in the interim got
two more invitations to church from others. Random acquaintances actually. I think it was three invitations in two days.
I believe the other two were divine appointments. The wife was talking to a customer at work and they began to
prophesy into her life. Imagine my agnostic friend sharing this information with me. - LOL

Anyway, they wanted to do Easter Brunch at the last minute. So I got reservations. (miraculously?)
But was mighty disappointed when I got a text message on Easter morning that my friend was feeling ill and they wouldn't make it.
This hit me hard. I really thought God was doing something here. Now what?

Discussed it with my wife on the way to Easter service. Decided I wasn't going to let this get me down.
When the service started I remembered that our church does a live online broadcast of our services.
So I texted my friend the link and he was able to watch from home.

He texted back to comment on what the Pastor was wearing, A shirt like one of his. So, I know he was watching.
The sermon was actually addressing some of the things discussed in the topics below.
In a following text he said he still wanted to get together for church on a Sunday when his wife doesn't work.
And so it continues... What do you suppose God is up to?

My agnostic friend says: "I don't need it." - How would you respond?

My Agnostic friend asks: "Does anyone believe in God before they 'need' him?"

/

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You may have seen my two topics below where we discuss some of these things. (links below)

I am witnessing to a friend of 35+ years. A work colleague. We have stayed in touch over the years.
God has brought many divorced people (mostly men) into my life. My ministry was to be friends with them.
They knew that if we got together they would be accepted by me. No preaching or advice. (unless they asked)
We could just be ourselves and have some wholesome uplifting fun together.

In this case I recently invited my friend and his de-churched Christian wife to join us for Easter service this year.
I was Best Man at their wedding last Autumn. Anyway, they accepted the invitation. And in the interim got
two more invitations to church from others. Random acquaintances actually. I think it was three invitations in two days.
I believe the other two were divine appointments. The wife was talking to a customer at work and they began to
prophesy into her life. Imagine my agnostic friend sharing this information with me. - LOL

Anyway, they wanted to do Easter Brunch at the last minute. So I got reservations. (miraculously?)
But was mighty disappointed when I got a text message on Easter morning that my friend was feeling ill and they wouldn't make it.
This hit me hard. I really thought God was doing something here. Now what?

Discussed it with my wife on the way to Easter service. Decided I wasn't going to let this get me down.
When the service started I remembered that our church does a live online broadcast of our services.
So I texted my friend the link and he was able to watch from home.

He texted back to comment on what the Pastor was wearing, A shirt like one of his. So, I know he was watching.
The sermon was actually addressing some of the things discussed in the topics below.
In a following text he said he still wanted to get together for church on a Sunday when his wife doesn't work.
And so it continues... What do you suppose God is up to?

My agnostic friend says: "I don't need it." - How would you respond?

My Agnostic friend asks: "Does anyone believe in God before they 'need' him?"

/
God is present and working with all people all the time......do we believe it?
God is present when people are ill and when accidents occur. Why is it we pray to remind him to be there......is it because we feel he doesn't care as much as we do or that he is forgetful or too busy with other things?
Do we continue to insist in making God in our image?

Reactions: St. SteVen

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We were made in his image...
So, there must be a similarity, right?

Where do you draw the line?

/
The image we bear now is but a faint reflection of God when Man was created. Sin has marred and almost defaced God's image in us. Self has become the reference point for most everything we think and do. It was not like this in the beginning.
Consider the many theologies which abound and how our navel is centre stage in their promulgation.
Consider the business model the World gravitates to and has become that of 'God's people'
It was self that interested Lucifer in his slippery endeavour to woo the intelligent Universe.....and his sophistry was so cunning he succeeded in a great harvest of the angels.

When the Israelites were bitten by serpents, the direction given to Moses was look away from themselves even though every inclination was to do the opposite.

The Gospel is God's activity in Jesus; we are bid to look there. We are bid cling to the rock which does not fail; yes, to our Saviour even as we are repetitively disappointed in our own performance.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The image we bear now is but a faint reflection of God when Man was created. Sin has marred and almost defaced God's image in us. Self has become the reference point for most everything we think and do. It was not like this in the beginning.
What do you suppose God sees when he looks at us?

In my view I compare it to human toddlers. Adorable unless they have a dirty diaper and a runny nose.
But they clean up pretty well.

I remember the helplessness of one of my children at that age. They sneeze and end up with a face full. (sorry)
And they wait for Mom or Dad to wipe their face.

1712281171802.jpeg

/

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What do you suppose God sees when he looks at us?

In my view I compare it to human toddlers. Adorable unless they have a dirty diaper and a runny nose.
But they clean up pretty well.

I remember the helplessness of one of my children at that age. They sneeze and end up with a face full. (sorry)
And they wait for Mom or Dad to wipe their face.

View attachment 44066

/
I think God's heart goes out to us at every turn.....dirty diapers and all. His desire to bring us home is consistent and unending. The story crafted by Jesus of the prodigal son which incidentally we could also call the story of the generous father, reveals to us God's character.
It is us who insist on separating ourselves from God in our judgements of self, of others and of God. We judge ourselves to be something we are not; either too bad for God to save or sufficiently righteous to win his favour. We judge others in a similar vein and we judge whether God is worthy of our worship based on either a faulty or an accurate understanding of his character.

• Love