Where was Adam when the serpent was talking with Eve?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Genesis 3:

1 Now the serpent was more crafty than any other beast of the field that the LORD God had made.
He knew where the weak link was. He targeted the woman directly.

He said to the woman, “Did God actually say, ‘You [plural] shall not eat of any tree in the garden’?” 2 And the woman said to the serpent, “We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden,
They spoke as if Adam was around but he didn't say or do anything.

3but God said, ‘You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.’” 4 But the serpent said to the woman, “You will not surely die. 5 For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” 6 So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate, and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate.
Adam was within handy distance.

7 Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked. And they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loincloths.
Even though Eve ate first, Adam followed quickly. They felt the same effect at the same time.

1 Timothy 2:

13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve; 14and Adam was not deceived,
Adam knew better but didn't stop his wife from eating.

but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor.
Adam followed his wife and transgressed as well.

It seems to me that he was with her but didn't intercede. He failed his leadership responsibility.

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A key verse is 'Adam was not deceived'. Eve ate it because she was gullible, but Adam ate it with full knowledge that he was deliberately disobeying God -- the first sin.

Reactions: Gabriel _Arch

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 3:

Even though Eve ate first, Adam followed quickly. They felt the same effect at the same time.

1 Timothy 2:

It seems to me that he was with her but didn't intercede. He failed his leadership responsibility.
Pure speculation. These things are not said in Scripture.

Much love!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Where was Adam when the serpent was talking with Eve?​

McDonalds?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thread title ^

Venturing a guess…
observing animal behaviors.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Where was Adam when the serpent was talking with Eve?​

Wallmart, getting flip flops?......or was he scoffing the watermelon all on his own?

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
~
Gen 3:6e . . She also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he
ate it.

The phrase "who was with her" has led some folks to suggest that Adam was
standing right there the whole time observing the entire incident; not saying
a word. (In my experience; that's a popular opinion among certain women
who seem to have a predilection to blame men for their own mistakes.)

But the phrase could simply mean they were a cohabiting couple at the time,
viz: weren't split up living apart. For example: I've been with my wife 43
years without interruption though we often go our separate ways on errands
and appointments: vacations too, My wife likes to rendezvous with her sister
in the community of Santa Barbara California once a year for a week, viz:
she's been with me all this time, though not always at my side.

The Serpent is portrayed as a highly intelligent creature (Gen 3:1). Well; for
sure he was intuitively aware of the tried and true tactic "Divide and
Conquer" Catching the woman by herself away from her husband's oversight
was a sensible tactic.

The thing is: the Serpent was somehow aware the fruit posed no danger to
the woman; so if he could get her to try it, and she'd see for herself it was
safe to eat, then the Serpent would have the ally he needed to persuade the
man to do something contrary to his better judgment.

But I think Adam was at least cautious at first, and kept a wary eye on his
wife for some time waiting to see if she would get sick; and when she didn't,
he surely had to wonder if maybe he misunderstood God.

I think most husbands would sympathize with Adam. I mean: he was told by
a supposedly competent source that the forbidden tree was unfit for human
consumption. But here's your wife sitting right beside you happily munching
away and she's still healthy, lucid, and exhibiting no ill side effects. How is a
reasonable man supposed to argue with empirical evidence as good as that?

FAQ: God must've been observing that scene. Why didn't He step in and
prevent the woman from falling?

REPLY: Compare Job 1:10-12 & Job 2:4-7
_

Reactions: Cassandra

Gabriel _Arch

Nov 16, 2023
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Adam was with Eve when she encountered the serpent.Both Adam and Eve were deceived by the serpent because Adam was told by God to avoid the tree of knowledge.Adam related this to Eve.

The serpent told them both that they would not die if they ate of the tree. That was deception because they did die to their former state by becoming mortal afterward.

When God later asked Adam what happened , Adam blamed Eve for their transgression.

It was not by Eve that sin entered the world.It was by Adam that sin entered the world.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 3:

1 Timothy 2:

A verse typically omitted when trying to understand the actions of Adam & Eve at creation, gives us a little more insight about how and why the serpent was able to deceive the woman, and subsequently the man who readily followed the woman in disobedience to God's command, "Ye shall not eat".

Genesis 3:1 (KJV) Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

We can ask ourselves why God created the serpent to be more subtil (cunning (usually in a bad sense):—crafty, prudent) knowing that A&E had not yet eaten of the forbidden tree, and therefore had no knowledge of what is good or evil? Asking this question should lead us to the plan ordained in heaven from the foundation of the world, where Christ, being the Son of God was ordained to be the Lamb slain from the beginning of creation.

Revelation 5:6 (KJV) And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

Revelation 5:12 (KJV)
Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.

Revelation 13:8 (KJV) And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

These verses speak of what was ordained in heaven from the foundation of the world. They seem to be saying that God knew that man that He created and called "very good" would be tempted to sin and through their fall, sin and death through sin would become part of His "very good" creation. Therefore God, from the foundation of the world had a plan to redeem His people from sin & death before creating them. Does this not appear to prove that sin and death that would come to mankind through sin have always been the means through which God would bring His chosen people back to Himself through His Son?

God has always had only ONE plan to save His creation and His people who were chosen to be saved. And God's plan has always included Him knowing that mankind would never freely choose to submit to Him, not even for life. Because mankind created having a will that was not in bondage to sin or death will always choose self-will over every other being, even over the Creator. That's how and why the serpent was able to deceive man. The serpent told them "Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." Why would mankind need God if they could become like Him, and be gods unto themselves?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Man that's harsh. Throwing Eve under the bus several thousand years before busses were even invented.
'the woman that you gave me' was Adam's reply to God.
The lack of responsibility, ie owning ones own sh.t started back in Eden. Coming clean is resisted when sin is present and blaming, it's bedfellow.

Reactions: Jim C

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'the woman that you gave me' was Adam's reply to God.
The lack of responsibility, ie owning ones own sh.t started back in Eden. Coming clean is resisted when sin is present and blaming, it's bedfellow.
Absolutely spot on.