Where was the church at Babylon?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Peter 5:13
The church that is at Babylon, elected together with you, saluteth you; and so doth Marcus my son.

Ooh, let me take a stab at it sir, is it in Babylon?

Actually it was in Babylon. At the time it was written, Josephus recorded that many of Jehovah's people lived in Babylon in the first century.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ooh, let me take a stab at it sir, is it in Babylon?

Actually it was in Babylon. At the time it was written, Josephus recorded that many of Jehovah's people lived in Babylon in the first century.

no way! peter never went there, it was a code word for rome! The pagan Roman Empire was mystery babylon

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The context of 1 Peter 5:13 is self-explanatory. All one need do is think a little bit...

1 Peter 5:13-14
13 The church that is at Babylon, elected together with you, saluteth you; and so doth Marcus my son.

14 Greet ye one another with a kiss of charity. Peace be with you all that are in Christ Jesus. Amen.
KJV

Yeah, Peter was speaking to the "church that is at Babylon", and it did not have to mean a specific building like we're used to today. The early Church often held 'Church'... in their HOMES! And it was considered wherever they came together to worship, THAT was Church. It's simple.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
no way! peter never went there, it was a code word for rome! The pagan Roman Empire was mystery babylon

Of course we are not infallible sir, therefore we may be in error, but Jehovah's witnesses believe that Peter was in Babylon when he penned those 2 Bible books.

I will say that most faiths believe Peter was never in Babylon, so I understand why you question it.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course we are not infallible sir, therefore we may be in error, but Jehovah's witnesses believe that Peter was in Babylon when he penned those 2 Bible books.

I will say that most faiths believe Peter was never in Babylon, so I understand why you question it.

JW’s are not biblical
There’s only one church it’s universal
Jn 10:16

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JW’s are not biblical
There’s only one church it’s universal
Jn 10:16

May I ask how JW's are not Biblical. Yes sir we agree there is only one faith (church), and likely you may agree that the Bible identifies it. Would you like to see how the Bible clearly identifies the people of God?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
May I ask how JW's are not Biblical. Yes sir we agree there is only one faith (church), and likely you may agree that the Bible identifies it. Would you like to see how the Bible clearly identifies the people of God?

universal

JW’s never existed till a 150 some odd years ago and has never been universal!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We know the early church was scattered all over Asia.
Some Greece and Turkey, Syria, Iraq...
This is the physical location of Babylon...
Which if you follow the rivers in Genesis chapter one... it's also the Garden of Eden.
Interesting..
Imagine a war in the heart of Eden... shock and awe even.... just saying.

Babylon is the most famous city from ancient Mesopotamia whose ruins lie in modern-day Iraq 59 miles (94 kilometres) southwest of Baghdad. The name is thought to derive from bav-il or bav-ilim which, in the Akkadian language of the time, meant 'Gate of God' or 'Gate of the Gods' and 'Babylon' coming from Greek..

You ever wonder where Nimrod built his Tower to the Gods?
I love archeology.. I wish I had had a chance to learn and participate in it.

The ancient city owes its fame (or infamy) to the many references the Bible makes to it; all of which are unfavourable. In the Book of Genesis, chapter 11, Babylon is featured in the story of The Tower of Babel and the Hebrews claimed the city was named for the confusion which ensued after God caused the people to begin speaking in different languages so they would not be able to complete their great tower to the heavens (the Hebrew word bavel means 'confusion').

Babylon also appears prominently in the biblical books of Daniel, Jeremiah, and Isaiah, among others, and, most notably, The Book of Revelation. It was these biblical references which sparked interest in Mesopotamian archaeology and the expedition by the German archaeologist Robert Koldewey who first excavated the ruins of Babylon in 1899 CE.

Outside of the sinful reputation given it by the Bible, the ancient city is known for its impressive walls and buildings, its reputation as a great seat of learning and culture, the formation of a code of law which pre-dates the Mosaic Law, and for the Hanging Gardens of Babylon which were man-made terraces of flora and fauna, watered by machinery, which were cited by ancient writers as one of the Seven Wonders of the World.

Babylon

Hugs

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which if you follow the rivers in Genesis chapter one... it's also the Garden of Eden.
Interesting..

Babylon is the most famous city from ancient Mesopotamia whose ruins lie in modern-day Iraq 59 miles (94 kilometres) southwest of Baghdad. The name is thought to derive from bav-il or bav-ilim which, in the Akkadian language of the time, meant 'Gate of God' or 'Gate of the Gods' and 'Babylon' coming from Greek..

The ancient city owes its fame (or infamy) to the many references the Bible makes to it; all of which are unfavourable. In the Book of Genesis, chapter 11, Babylon is featured in the story of The Tower of Babel and the Hebrews claimed the city was named for the confusion which ensued after God caused the people to begin speaking in different languages so they would not be able to complete their great tower to the heavens (the Hebrew word bavel means 'confusion').

Babylon also appears prominently in the biblical books of Daniel, Jeremiah, and Isaiah, among others, and, most notably, The Book of Revelation. It was these biblical references which sparked interest in Mesopotamian archaeology and the expedition by the German archaeologist Robert Koldewey who first excavated the ruins of Babylon in 1899 CE.

Outside of the sinful reputation given it by the Bible, the ancient city is known for its impressive walls and buildings, its reputation as a great seat of learning and culture, the formation of a code of law which pre-dates the Mosaic Law, and for the Hanging Gardens of Babylon which were man-made terraces of flora and fauna, watered by machinery, which were cited by ancient writers as one of the Seven Wonders of the World.

Babylon

Hugs

min rev it is refered to as mystery Babylon or the pagan Roman empire

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Interesting..

Babylon

Hugs
@Ziggy Babylon as a symbol seems to symbolize a mixing of all sorts of influences - commercial, political and supposedly spiritual - withing one, huge conglomerate: in the NT, in 1 Corinthians 10.32, we see Jews, Gentiles and the church of God as distinct.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The mystery about Babylon is that it is located in the heart of Paradise..
think about it

hugs

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The mystery about Babylon is that it is located in the heart of Paradise..
think about it

hugs
Babylon was a code word for the pagan Roman Empire Peter died in Rome or mystery babylon

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Where was the church at Babylon?
In your back yard; although you don't recognise it!

Reactions: Brakelite