Which do you think proved to be neighbor of the one that fell in the thieves hands?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark and Luke.

In Luke 10:23 Jesus Christ speaks of being blessed to have eyes to see the things you see.
He talks about hearing and seeing.

A Lawyer asks Christ, “Master, what must I do to inherit Life?”

Remember “in context” Christ is speaking concerning hearing and seeing. Which (Imo) makes this question to the Lawyer significant, “What is written in the Law?” This Christ asks a Lawyer! “what is written in the Law?”. Then “How does it read to you?” …could this be the question of “how do you hear it?” “how do you see it?”

Especially with “be careful how you hear and how you see.”

The Lawyer answers correctly Christ says “You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, soul, strength and Mind. And your neighbor as yourself.”
But willing to justify himself the Lawyer tempts “ok…But exactly who is my neighbor?” Or that is how I hear the Lawyers question. Sarcasm. tempting. Is this a trick? A loop hole the Lawyer hopes will narrow the margin down to just a few neighbors of “as yourself”.

Christ gives a parable about a man that went down from Jerusalem and fell among thieves. These thieves stripped him of his clothing, these thieves wounded him, these thieves went away from the man on the side of the road leaving him half-dead. We aren’t told if the man “deserved” to fall among thieves. We aren’t told if the man provoked it or had poor life-style choices that caused him to end up having his clothing stolen, or to be wounded and left on the side of the road half-dead. only that a man came down from Jerusalem to Jericho. All on a journey.

the parable is an answer from Jesus Christ to the Lawyer who asks “how can I have Life?”
Significant to me is this all began with Jesus Christ talking about being blessed to see and hear. Then he gives a parable about a priest and then a Levite who look on the man stripped of his clothing, wounded (beaten), and left half dead. They look but do not see. They hear but do not hear. Passing by on the other side of the road. A Samaritan comes by though and sees the man beaten, stripped of his clothing and left on the side of the road and this Samaritan takes the man (after putting him on his on beast), the Samaritan takes him to an inn, tends to his wounds, and pays the inn-keeper …but not just pays the inn-keeper …but the Samaritan also agrees to pay anything more the inn-keeper spends on the man until he returns. How the inn-keeper increases! I’ll give to you, when I return.

I have never considered this parable with the parable in Mark about the sower and the seed. Until the other day, and now it has stayed on my mind. Where Christ says “listen” “look”: what do you see? What do you hear? To the Lawyer who asks how to have Life…how to have increase…how to inherit…

Some things the two parables of ‘the sower and the seed’ and ‘the Samaritan” have in common:
1) a sower went out to sow
With: a man came down from Jerusalem to Jericho (on a journey?)

2) satan immediately came to steal the seed sown away; the birds came and ate it up. “Soon after a thief comes” and that which falls by the side of the road. A thief comes…
With: the man fell among thieves who beat him, wounded him, stripped the man of his rainment, leaving the man on the side of the road half-dead.

3) some seed fell on stone having no soil; it shot up quickly yet had not depth where after the sun came up, the sun scorched it so it withered away.
With: a priest walked by “looked” on the man wounded, stripped of clothing, left half-dead and (feeling nothing, not moved with any compassion); the priest passed by on the other side of the road.

4) some seed fell among thorns, and the thorns choked it —having the cares and worries of this life so that it “yielded no crop”
With: a Levite did the same also. The Levite looked on the man lying on the side of the road left half-dead, wounded and stripped of clothing …not moved with any compassion in the inward parts…(not seeing, not hearing) the Levite passed by on the other side of the road.

5) yet some seed fell on good ground. This ground “yielded” a crop. This ground increases and yields
With the Samaritan being moved with compassion (being moved in the inward parts) puts the man on his beast, pours oil and wine in the man’s wounds, takes him to an inn, pays the inn keeper before her leaves and doesn’t just stop there …but agrees to pay any overage of care for the man. Saying to the inn-keeper “anything more you spend on this man that I’m leaving in your care…I will repay.”

Like the seed that feel on good ground and brought forth fruit …which do you think increased or “yielded” in the parable of the priest, the Levite and the Samaritan?

Back to the Lawyer who asked what he must do to inherit Life. Does the Samaritan answer this question of the seed sown on good ground which yielded and brought forth fruit? Christ asked him “which do you think was the neighbor of him who fell among thieves?”

The Lawyer answered, “He that showed Mercy?”
Christ replied, “Yea, go and do likewise.”

6) Consider the Samaritan and the good ground that becomes fruitful and “yields” a crop.

With also: the priest and the Levite who “looked” but did not see. Who heard but did not hear. Being not moved with compassion in their inward parts. They Passed by “unfruitful”.

Last edited: