Which method of execution is accurate and true? A or B?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

• A

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • B

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

BroRando

May 1, 2021
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a-or-b.jpg
In order for the following prophecy to be fulfilled, “He is guarding all his bones; Not one of them has been broken.
(Psalm 34:20) Which method of death is accurate and true?

Driving a nail through the hand would of broken bones. And if the nail should be placed between the fingers, the flesh would easily tear under the weight. But if a nail was driven through his flesh between the bones that surrounded the nail, not only would the prophecy be fulfilled but it would attach the body to the stauros.

Broken bones would have hasten his death and the torture would have been cut short. Jesus was already beaten, tortured, and flogged to the point of exhaustion that a bystander was compelled into service to carry his torture stake.

See X-ray...

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
View attachment 16389
In order for the following prophecy to be fulfilled, “He is guarding all his bones; Not one of them has been broken.

Driving a nail through the hand would of broken bones. And if the nail should be placed between the fingers, the flesh would easily tear under the weight. But if a nail was driven through his flesh between the bones that surrounded the nail, not only would the prophecy be fulfilled but it would attach the body to the stauros.

Broken bones would have hasten his death and the torture would have been cut short. Jesus was already beaten, tortured, and flogged to the point of exhaustion that a bystander was compelled into service to carry his torture stake.

See X-ray...
Um . . . you are asking a bunch of people who weren't there, and you weren't there, to see exactly how it was accomplished. For all we really know, Jesus was crucified on an actual tree.

Where were the nails, was there a crosspiece or not, what exactly is your question? Are you thinking you can't drive a nail through a hand without breaking a bone? Did you have woodshop in school? Clearly nails can pass through hands between bones.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is why I don't go by these sorts of "religious arts", since they show the artist's imagination, and not our Savior crucified on the wood.

Much love!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Um . . . you are asking a bunch of people who weren't there, and you weren't there, to see exactly how it was accomplished.
He is simply trying to promote the false teachings of the JWs. They reject the deity of Christ and they reject the crucifixion. That word in itself defines how Christ was crucified.

But that is not where all their false cultic doctrines end. They have another Jesus and they have another gospel.

Reactions: post

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He is simply trying to promote the false teachings of the JWs. They reject the deity of Christ and they reject the crucifixion. That word in itself defines how Christ was crucified.

But that is not where all their false cultic doctrines end. They have another Jesus and they have another gospel.
I know. Slow day.

BTW . . . just in case it doesn't always come through . . . I love you!

Much love!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you have woodshop in school? Clearly nails can pass through hands between bones.
I raised an eyebrow over this! I had woodshop in 7th grade and again in high school. While not great, I can do some carpentry work pretty well. See, the way it reads (at least to me) is that if you had such a class or experience in woodworking, you'd have firsthand knowledge that a nail can actually pass through your hand without breaking a bone! Even as an accident, most people haven't done that to their hand!

Well... I actually kinda do! I was doing some work at my Church and my dad put a nail through the side of my thumb with a nail gun. And no, it didn't break a bone but I loudly said the F word... In the Church!

Not making fun of you Marks, just having fun... On a serious note, I have heard a theory that when Jesus was crucified, the drove the nails between the distal end of the forearm between the radius and ulna bones. Clearly a better anchor than between the metacarpels and it wouldn't have broken any bones. I won't debate that as it is just a theory.

Reactions: Nancy

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
View attachment 16389

See X-ray...

Sorry, the WTBTS is wrong.(the watchtower to the viewers of this post)

We know from historic accounts that the Romans executed criminals using a cross, complete with a T bar - in fact they made Jesus carry that part of the cross to His execution.

Maranatha

BroRando

May 1, 2021
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, the WTBTS is wrong.(the watchtower to the viewers of this post)

We know from historic accounts that the Romans executed criminals using a cross, complete with a T bar - in fact they made Jesus carry that part of the cross to His execution.

Maranatha

The Romans were
Pagan Sun Worshipers who Worshiped the Trinity Idolatry. Those nailed to the T bar was an offering to their false god Tammuz.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Romans were
Pagan Sun Worshipers who Worshiped the Trinity Idolatry. Those nailed to the T bar was an offering to their false god Tammuz.

If true, which is doubtful, it doesn’t change the facts.

Romans executed common criminals on crosses, such as the two thieves crucified with Jesus.

I know the Russelites mistranslated the NWT to make it say torture stake instead of cross, but that’s not correct.

Maranatha

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
View attachment 16389

See X-ray...

Doesn't matter Brother Rando, no one knows, therefore strictly opinion. The Bible states very clearly Jesus died on a Stauros, that is what I teach anyway. The way people view it is their own personal choice. The literal definition of stauros is an upright pole/stake. I personally believe that is the actual device that Jesus died on, a stake. Stake or cross can not be proven either way, and what is the point, what was important was Jesus ransom sacrifice that was offered up.

Reactions: Nancy

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Both artists are wrong.
Artist A almost certanly has Jesus in the correct position, but the nail is going through the palm of His hand (which would not have supported His body weight).
Artist B almost certainly has Jesus in the wrong position, but the nails are in the right place, above the wrist.

Both of them take the normal artistic licence and show Him wearing a loincloth (when in fact He would have been stark naked).

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I raised an eyebrow over this! I had woodshop in 7th grade and again in high school. While not great, I can do some carpentry work pretty well. See, the way it reads (at least to me) is that if you had such a class or experience in woodworking, you'd have firsthand knowledge that a nail can actually pass through your hand without breaking a bone! Even as an accident, most people haven't done that to their hand!
Ah, you gave me a smile! Just my own brand of humor. My wife still can't get used to it! No, I've never seen it happen. I actually took metal shop.

I can build with wood, and it will stand, and fulfill it's purpose. But nothing I've ever built has been square.

Well... I actually kinda do! I was doing some work at my Church and my dad put a nail through the side of my thumb with a nail gun. And no, it didn't break a bone but I loudly said the F word... In the Church!

Whoa!

Not making fun of you Marks, just having fun... On a serious note, I have heard a theory that when Jesus was crucified, the drove the nails between the distal end of the forearm between the radius and ulna bones. Clearly a better anchor than between the metacarpels and it wouldn't have broken any bones. I won't debate that as it is just a theory.
I've heard that, it makes sense. It makes sense to me either way, and I'm not even that interested in making a big deal out of the difference.

:)

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy and FHII

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The CROSS

Medically speaking it has been said the conjunctive tissue in the hand is stronger than a rope. So nails in your hands would hold you weight.
----
The death of Christ began with His flogging, but the cross (stauros) finished the job.
Just getting nails in your hands and feet doesn't kill you. Without water, you will die in about four days. Jesus was tortured by the flogging, He was exhausted and half dead, but let me explain to you what death on the cross is caused by. Asphyxiation. When your arms are spread out, it is difficult to pull yourself up for a breath. Yes, your chest muscles are stretched also and you need to use them to expand your chest to breathe. Having the nails in your hands is excruciating pain (btw, that word came from "crux", the cross) because of the nerves severed.
The other way to get a breath was to push up with your feet which were also nailed and suffering excruciating pain. So they slowing died of asphyxiation and if they endured that for days, their legs weren't broken or dehydration finished them. Again Jesus was already half dead.
Now to speed up their process, the Romans broke the legs of the victims so they could no longer push themselves up for a breath, but Jesus was already dead when the Romans checked by piercing him with a sword in His side.
We see in the Olympics, the gymnists on the rings who hold the iron cross for a few seconds. So after hanging for hours the victims have no strength. In addition to this, the weight of your body can easily dislocate your shoulders/joints. So on the cross, one cannot use their arms. On a torture stake, it would be much easier to pull yourself up and so even if they broke your legs you could live much longer than being nailed to a cross.
Jesus died within six hours. From both the extreme measure of flogging (with a whip that had sharp pieces of bones tied to it that tear your flesh) and asphyxiation on a cross.

Aside from all this, we are talking about the most important event in history - does anyone in the world question if Jesus died on a cross - except JW's? Maybe they should travel around the world and see millions of crosses planted all over the world. Or go to Greece and ask them what stauros means. Do they think eye witnesses got the most important story in history wrong?
Likely, when they get to heaven, Jesus will greet them with a hug, introduce them to the archangel Michael and then give them a necklace with a cross to wear on your neck for all eternity!

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus died within six hours. From both the extreme measure of flogging (with a whip that had sharp pieces of bones tied to it that tear your flesh) and asphyxiation on a cross.
He released His Spirit. He said no one took His life, but He had the power to lay it down, and the power to take it back up again.

Much love!

Reactions: amigo de christo

BroRando

May 1, 2021
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He released His Spirit. He said no one took His life, but He had the power to lay it down, and the power to take it back up again.

Much love!

No man takes it away from me, but I surrender it of my own initiative. I have authority to surrender it, and I have authority to receive it again. This commandment I received from my Father. (John 10:18)

This is why the Father loves me, because I surrender my life, so that I may receive it again. (John 10:17)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No man takes it away from me, but I surrender it of my own initiative. I have authority to surrender it, and I have authority to receive it again. This commandment I received from my Father. (John 10:18)

This is why the Father loves me, because I surrender my life, so that I may receive it again. (John 10:17)
Yes, exousia.

However, "surrender", and "receive", those are not correct translations. I'd stick with the King James myself. Where Jesus says, this commandment I received from My Father, that's a correct translation, received.

Where you've said "surrender", the actual word is to place something, correctly translated "lay it down". Where you've said, "receive it again", the actual word is different, to hold, and is active voice, which means Jesus does it.

Jesus lays down His life, and then holds it again.

Your translation mistranslates, and makes Jesus seem passive, yet the actual Scripture is very different from that.

Much love!

BroRando

May 1, 2021
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, exousia.

However, "surrender", and "receive", those are not correct translations. I'd stick with the King James myself. Where Jesus says, this commandment I received from My Father, that's a correct translation, received.

Where you've said "surrender", the actual word is to place something, correctly translated "lay it down". Where you've said, "receive it again", the actual word is different, to hold, and is active voice, which means Jesus does it.

Jesus lays down His life, and then holds it again.

Your translation mistranslates, and makes Jesus seem passive, yet the actual Scripture is very different from that.

Much love!

Sticking to one translation is very dangerous, it can lead one away from Jesus Christ. Why not try looking into other translations to widen out and get a deeper understanding of God' Word?

New International Version
No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.”

New Living Translation
No one can take my life from me. I sacrifice it voluntarily. For I have the authority to lay it down when I want to and also to take it up again. For this is what my Father has commanded.”

English Standard Version
No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father.”

Berean Study Bible
No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of My own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from My Father.”

Berean Literal Bible
No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it again. This commandment I received from My Father."

Of course you deleted the most important part. "This commandment I received from My Father."

Next thing you'll be peddling is that Jesus Christ never died....which is an untruth spewed from (Revelation 16:13) I hope you reconsider.

BroRando

May 1, 2021
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exousia? Maybe you should try looking the word up instead of twisting scripture?

Strong's Concordance
exousia: power to act, authority
Original Word: ἐξουσία, ας, ἡ
Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
Transliteration: exousia
Phonetic Spelling: (ex-oo-see'-ah)
Definition: power to act, authority
Usage: (a) power, authority, weight, especially: moral authority, influence, (b) in a quasi-personal sense, derived from later Judaism, of a spiritual power, and hence of an earthly power.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sticking to one translation is very dangerous, it can lead one away from Jesus Christ. Why not try looking into other translations to widen out and get a deeper understanding of God' Word?
Actually, I use a wide number of translations as well as the Greek texts. I've found over the years that the KJV is the most like reading the Greek but in English.

If you want to make an issue of "exousia", no matter, it means authority, or some other mandate to accomplish the purpose. It's like saying, the court has power to put you in jail, or, the court has authority to put you in jail, it's really saying the same thing. I don't mind sticking with "authority". Authority without power, what is that?

Now, concerning "I lay it down", and, "I take it back again", these do not mean what your translation says.

But why would you make the erroneous assumption that because I prefer a certain translation, that I don't read others? I definitely recommend the KJV to you in particular, as I believe it to be much more accurate then what you've been presenting.

Much love!

Reactions: amigo de christo