Which temple does he stand in claiming to be God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
Most are awaiting for the natural Jews to build a temple and for this son of perdition to come and claim himself God, but is that truth? Doesn't it say that he sitteth in the temple of God and isn't the body of Christ the temple of God?
2 Thess 2:3-5
3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
5 Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?
KJV
1 Cor 3:16-17
16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
KJV

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
afaithfulone4u said:
Most are awaiting for the natural Jews to build a temple and for this son of perdition to come and claim himself God, but is that truth? Doesn't it say that he sitteth in the temple of God and isn't the body of Christ the temple of God?
3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
KJV
16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
17 If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.
KJV
You have made I think an excellent point and I tend to agree with you. But I wonder if this could have a dual fulfillment. Primary fulfillment is as you pointed out above and the secondary, is that (if) the 'Jews after the flesh' build another temple I can see he just might want to dominate there as well. Given that the Jews are a people that had carried the oracles of God and bare testimony to his providential care- in real time.

This I would think may rate high on this Antichrist's agenda, as well.

Any thoughts? :)

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
JB_Reformed Baptist said:
Yes, The passage says in the temple of God.

With a dual meaning as in both, would both be considered the temple of God? If so why?
I'm not trying to bate a disagreement I'm using the question to make a point, can Gods temple be both?

Back to you JB

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Rex said:
Yes, The passage says in the temple of God.

With a dual meaning as in both, would both be considered the temple of God? If so why?
I'm not trying to bate a disagreement I'm using the question to make a point, can Gods temple be both?

Back to you JB

I was contemplating like all type(s) and antitype(s) in the word of God, there 'may' be a physical as well as a spiritual equivalent, playing out simultaneously...

Back to you Rex...

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
IMO God is progressive we see the procession of God and the out come reading from Gen to Rev.
Jesus clearly left the temple mound in Matthew 23 declaring it desolate at the cross Matthew again tells us that the veil between the holy hollies was torn from top to bottom. Jeremiah tells us that God will write his laws on our minds and hearts eluding to the Holy Spirit residing with-in men. Paul tells us that has taken place and the symbolic veil in the temple has been removed to those that are born again of Spirit. Thus we are the temple of God, the Shekinah glory of God no longer dwells with a temple made of men but its rightful temple made by God.

she·ki·nah
/SHəKHēˈnä/
Noun
The glory of the divine presence, conventionally represented as light.

Will man again make a temple that the Shekinah glory dwells with-in? I don't believe so, but in Rev I see a new Jerusalem that will contain Shekinah glory, for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. Rev 21:22 "progressive" The only other temple I see in Rev is the one currently in heaven it's the reality of the image on earth and we will be pillars in that temple of Rev 21:22 Rev 3:12

If the Jews today do build a temple and reinstate the Levitical system it could not be called the temple of God, Jesus declared it desolate, the glory left it to take residence in us. Progressive, Gods not going to go backwards, he's also not going to honor something that denies or negates, "goes around" what Jesus has done.
It will never be graced with the Shekinah Glory, it will simply be a building denying Jesus the Christ.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Rex said:
IMO God is progressive we see the procession of God and the out come reading from Gen to Rev.
Jesus clearly left the temple mound in Matthew 23 declaring it desolate at the cross Matthew again tells us that the veil between the holy hollies was torn from top to bottom. Jeremiah tells us that God will write his laws on our minds and hearts eluding to the Holy Spirit residing with-in men. Paul tells us that has taken place and the symbolic veil in the temple has been removed to those that are born again of Spirit. Thus we are the temple of God, the Shekinah glory of God no longer dwells with a temple made of men but its rightful temple made by God.

she·ki·nah
/SHəKHēˈnä/
Noun
The glory of the divine presence, conventionally represented as light.

Will man again make a temple that the Shekinah glory dwells with-in? I don't believe so, but in Rev I see a new Jerusalem that will contain Shekinah glory, for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. Rev 21:22 "progressive" The only other temple I see in Rev is the one currently in heaven it's the reality of the image on earth and we will be pillars in that temple of Rev 21:22 Rev 3:12

If the Jews today do build a temple and reinstate the Levitical system it could not be called the temple of God, Jesus declared it desolate, the glory left it to take residence in us. Progressive, Gods not going to go backwards, he's also not going to honor something that denies or negates, "goes around" what Jesus has done.
It will never be graced with the Shekinah Glory, it will simply be a building denying Jesus the Christ.

All that you refer too I agree. I don't believe for one moment that God would seek to dwell in a man made house again, as he already dwells within HIS people. However, to fulfill a false messiah idea that the Jews hold I would imagine some sort of presence so as to dominate such a people considering they are the only race(ethnically) that has existed and known the oracles of God and had his presence amongst them - not to mention the link to the creation account etc.

So to dominate them as I said earlier as a secondary cause would impress the world no end.

In regards to the temple of GOD, spiritual. We already have one, who through succession has sought to dominate the Christian's worldwide for quite some time. Know doubt when the apostasy is in full swing this ANTICHRIST(system with a figure head) will then be confident to boldly claim his right to be the head of Christ's bride.

So I tend to think this will be played out on two levels. One the spiritual and the other physical, so as to impress the hell out of the world. Hey, it's just a supposition. :)

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
The point i disagree with most modern teaching is the must have a temple in Jerusalem crowd its a large group. Paul is speaking about the "true temple" as I explained above I don't believe any temple man makes whether they be Jews or Abraham himself could be called the temple of God today or anytime after the cross.

Sometimes I can't help but think that maybe these people so dead set on watching for the temple to know the AC have their attention drawn in the wrong direction.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Rex said:
The point i disagree with most modern teaching is the must have a temple in Jerusalem crowd its a large group. Paul is speaking about the "true temple" as I explained above I don't believe any temple man makes whether they be Jews or Abraham himself could be called the temple of God today or anytime after the cross.

Sometimes I can't help but think that maybe these people so dead set on watching for the temple to know the AC have their attention drawn in the wrong direction.
You're referring to dispensationalists, right?

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
I'm referring to people that believe a temple must be built to fulfill 2 Thess 2:3-5

So your turn-->> are you a temple watcher? If so how would or could Paul define it as the temple of God considering 1 Cor 3:16-17

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
afaithfulone4u said:

Good point... Paul wrote both passages, which would seem to indicate that the temple will not be a building, but is representative of a position the anti-christ will hold, meaning he'll sit as the head of the church.

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
JB_Reformed Baptist said:
You have made I think an excellent point and I tend to agree with you. But I wonder if this could have a dual fulfillment. Primary fulfillment is as you pointed out above and the secondary, is that (if) the 'Jews after the flesh' build another temple I can see he just might want to dominate there as well. Given that the Jews are a people that had carried the oracles of God and bare testimony to his providential care- in real time.

This I would think may rate high on this Antichrist's agenda, as well.

Hi JB_Reformed Baptist,
I think that the Jews are meant to be a distraction to keep those believers who can be decieved watching the natural Jews to see what they do, while the true temple of God is being built without men's hands but by God as we speak.
Our duty is not to just let them pass on under the old covenant that ends in death, but as their debtor's for our salvation which comes from the Jews, we are to return the favor and cast them out of that doomed covenant before it is too late. God's Word says He is angry with the shepherds who just patch up the wall of Jerusalem saying Peace, peace for them that God is going to spare them... Jesus said, we Must be born again!
Jesus is their Messiah, but most of them are blinded for now. Jesus is the fulfillment of all things including the rebuilt temple as we read:
Rev 21:22
22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.
KJV
When Jesus said one who is greater than Solomon is here, speaking of himself, He meant that Solomon may have built a temple with man's hands, but Jesus is the Temple and the maker of all things, even Solomon was made with, by and through the Word himself.
Blessings, diana

Dan57 said:
Good point... Paul wrote both passages, which would seem to indicate that the temple will not be a building, but is representative of a position the anti-christ will hold, meaning he'll sit as the head of the church.
Rev 12:4-5
4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.
5 And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.
KJV

The dragon stood before(Pulpit) the woman( new covenant Jerusalem/church) just before the son's of God(man child,children) are birthed and are Caught Up to God's throne.The body of Christ has a male head and they have been growing in the womb of our mother heavenly Jerusalem in the image of Christ and soon will be full term and will be the chosen to rule and reign with Christ for the 1,000 yrs.

JB_Reformed Baptist

Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
Rex said:
I'm referring to people that believe a temple must be built to fulfill 2 Thess 2:3-5

So your turn-->> are you a temple watcher? If so how would or could Paul define it as the temple of God considering 1 Cor 3:16-17

Rex said:

My turn to answer->> NO.

afaithfulone4u said:
Hi JB_Reformed Baptist,
I think that the Jews are meant to be a distraction to keep those believers who can be decieved watching the natural Jews to see what they do, while the true temple of God is being built without men's hands but by God as we speak.
Our duty is not to just let them pass on under the old covenant that ends in death, but as their debtor's for our salvation which comes from the Jews, we are to return the favor and cast them out of that doomed covenant before it is too late. God's Word says He is angry with the shepherds who just patch up the wall of Jerusalem saying Peace, peace for them that God is going to spare them... Jesus said, we Must be born again!
Jesus is their Messiah, but most of them are blinded for now. Jesus is the fulfillment of all things including the rebuilt temple as we read:
22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.
KJV
When Jesus said one who is greater than Solomon is here, speaking of himself, He meant that Solomon may have built a temple with man's hands, but Jesus is the Temple and the maker of all things, even Solomon was made with, by and through the Word himself.
Blessings, diana

4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.
5 And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.
KJV

The dragon stood before(Pulpit) the woman( new covenant Jerusalem/church) just before the son's of God(man child,children) are birthed and are Caught Up to God's throne.The body of Christ has a male head and they have been growing in the womb of our mother heavenly Jerusalem in the image of Christ and soon will be full term and will be the chosen to rule and reign with Christ for the 1,000 yrs.
afaithfulone4u said:
Hi JB_Reformed Baptist,
KJV
Blessings, diana

KJV

Hi Diana,

No doubt in my mind it's a distraction for Dispensationalists who believe they will be raptured before the GREAT tribulation takes place. If indeed there's a final tribulation, it will be post such an event, before Christ returns and establishes his millennium reign upon the earth, prior to final judgement... .

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Good JB, I suspected you were a man not easily swayed by pier presser, then we'll keep watching and allow room for news and instruction from home.
Only being moved by the Spirit, be patient and stand firm, for our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed

IAmAWitness

Nov 7, 2012
2 Thes 2 mirrors the abomination Yeshua spoke of in Matthew 24 @ v15 and Daniel 9.

I am a literalist and I advise you of the merits of the method. Literalists don't take everything literally however much someone may insist that to be the case. I take this literally because the language describing it only allows for a literal interpretation. Nothing there implies to me that there can be any spiritualizing it.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
IAmAWitness said:
2 Thes 2 mirrors the abomination Yeshua spoke of in Matthew 24 @ v15 and Daniel 9.

I am a literalist and I advise you of the merits of the method. Literalists don't take everything literally however much someone may insist that to be the case. I take this literally because the language describing it only allows for a literal interpretation. Nothing there implies to me that there can be any spiritualizing it.
I suppose you believe a temple is necessary. So tell me according to Paul how could it be considered the temple of God.
1 Cor 3:16
1 Cor 3:9
2 Cor 6:16
Eph 2:22
1 Peter 2:5

Psalm 127:1
1 Unless the Lord builds the house,
the builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,
the guards stand watch in vain.

And Jesus himself said, Matthew 23
38 See! Your house is left to you desolate; 39 for I say to you, you shall see Me no more till you say, ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!’

Now how is it that unbelieving Jews building a temple that don't believe in Jesus will ever be considered the temple of God, when Jesus himself condemned the last temple and told them, you shall see Me no more till you say, ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord! The Lord Himself said I will have nothing to do with you until you say, ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the LORD!--->>> Lord = Jesus and LORD = the father by the way.

Now please explain the mental gymnastic necessary to call such a place build by unbelievers a house of God? Or does simply ignoring other scripture get you there?

IAmAWitness

Nov 7, 2012
Rex said:
I suppose you believe a temple is necessary. So tell me according to Paul how could it be considered the temple of God.
1 Cor 3:16
1 Cor 3:9
2 Cor 6:16
Eph 2:22
1 Peter 2:5

Psalm 127:1
1 Unless the Lord builds the house,
the builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,
the guards stand watch in vain.

And Jesus himself said, Matthew 23
38 See! Your house is left to you desolate; 39 for I say to you, you shall see Me no more till you say, ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!’

Now how is it that unbelieving Jews building a temple that don't believe in Jesus will ever be considered the temple of God, when Jesus himself condemned the last temple and told them, you shall see Me no more till you say, ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord! The Lord Himself said I will have nothing to do with you until you say, ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the LORD!--->>> Lord = Jesus and LORD = the father by the way.

Now please explain the mental gymnastic necessary to call such a place build by unbelievers a house of God? Or does simply ignoring other scripture get you there?
Rex, I'm not here to change your mind. Only you can do that or Lord willing by the power of God. The most I can do for you is tell you you're mistaken and leave it at that. These problems don't go away by talking it out. I have no power to change your mind and you have no power over me either. We should agree to that.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
IAmAWitness said:
Rex, I'm not here to change your mind. Only you can do that or Lord willing by the power of God. The most I can do for you is tell you you're mistaken and leave it at that. These problems don't go away by talking it out. I have no power to change your mind and you have no power over me either. We should agree to that.
So what your saying is you have no reply to the NT teachings as i presented them, you have no place to take a stand from, in other words you don't have a temple verse.

And your right as you can see from my signature, It's not my job to open peoples eyes, it's my job to provide the opportunity.

pompadour

Staff member
Oct 5, 2011
minnesota USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Guysmith: I believe your are right. The daily sacrifice will be stopped in the middle of the 7 yr tribulation.

The only place the Jews will sacrifice to God will be on the temple mount. If that were not true they would be doing it some where already.

The Jews will build something on the temple mount to make sacrifices, A Temple or some thing as simple as a tent. It will be the Jewish temple not Gods Temple.

Pomp.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
afaithfulone4u said:
KJV
KJV
No, the temple of God Paul refered to in 2 Thess.2 is not Christ's Church. Why? Simply because we are told what the spiritual temple represents in Ephesians, that being the foundation of the prophets and Apostles, and Christ Jesus Himself as the Chief Corner Stone. If one believes that could be corrupted at ANY time, then they are deceived.

The temple Paul referred to is in the context of false worship, and per Jerusalem's history that has always involved a literal temple being desolated by an abomination idol, such as what Antiochus IV did in 170 B.C., and later with false temples and idol worship established there by other peoples and nations after siezing Jerusalem.

So those who come here trying to push the false doctrine that Paul was speaking of the spiritual Temple of Christ's Body are trying to deceive the gullible that come here (most likely unbelieving Jews).

pompadour said:
Guysmith: I believe your are right. The daily sacrifice will be stopped in the middle of the 7 yr tribulation.

The only place the Jews will sacrifice to God will be on the temple mount. If that were not true they would be doing it some where already.

The Jews will build something on the temple mount to make sacrifices, A Temple or some thing as simple as a tent. It will be the Jewish temple not Gods Temple.

Pomp.
They have been doing it already, since the later 1990's. Check out the Temple Mount Faithful and Land of Israel movement. They used to have pictures of the passover sacrifice upon a hill overlooking the Temple Mount.