Who’s interpretation is true?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
babyblue.jpg

The messenger brings the word from the authority, to the person.

Who’s interpretation is true?

the boy's interpretation is true, as long as there is no authority present to supersede his decision, isn’t it? Surly the fulfillment was according to boy and out the context and the spirit of the message that was sent. This seems to be the case in today’s society. To go by one’s own judgement and not according the authority who sent the word, and disregard for the judgement thereof, of which the messenger found abhorring.

that and I busted out laughing when I read it

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is true, is true whether one believes it or not. The only difference is the time it takes that person to catch up with what is true. Our life is a story unfolding before us...and we are among the last to know the end of it. Nonetheless, it is written.

Reactions: Helen

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 8:26-31 "And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert. And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship, Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet. Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot. And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest? And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him".

Reactions: FHII

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Title:- Who’s interpretation is true?

Good point...and I contend that NONE of us will know until the end. However much some people tell others that it is they that has it all correct and 'right' .
EVERYONE believes that what they themselves believes a scripture is saying is correct.
God Word is much like the "whisper Game" He speaks it, and we each believe we hear it and interpret clearly....
Except for the Cross and the foundational truth that saved us..the rest I hold lightly.
I believe I hear things correctly... but only God knows :)

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I believe I hear things correctly... but only God knows
Seems to me to be the safest and surest way, not to go sideways of God...One thing I can say with absolute certainty...the more I get to know, the more I realize just how little I actually do know, compared with God...I have this thinking, that our Father is so much and so big, that we will forever be able to 'find' new things about Him :)

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have learned that the interpretation I hear for the time, is relevant and accurate for that time, for me, in that situation. I have never bought into the idea that Biblical words mean only one possible thing, for all time, under every circumstance... and thus elicit only one reaction or response from me.

Reactions: bbyrd009

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I have learned that the interpretation I hear for the time, is relevant and accurate for that time, for me, in that situation. I have never bought into the idea that Biblical words mean only one possible thing, for all time, under every circumstance... and thus elicit only one reaction or response from me.
Isn't this situational ethics?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Acts 8:26-31 "And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert. And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship, Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet. Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot. And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest? And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him".
If you mean what I think you mean, I agree.
WE are not responsible enough to interpret scripture.
It takes very learned men if we are to dig deep.
Personally, I trust the early theologians, before everything got all messed up. This would be before the Christian religion was declared the religion of Constantine's reign. And after...
To me it seems to be pure and biblical.
Then some created doctrine that requires scripture to be twisted and the twisting began. First with the Catholic church and then also with the Protestant church.
The bible is one book,,,, not a set of verses for our use to support what we believe.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personally, I trust the early theologians, before everything got all messed up. This would be before the Christian religion was declared the religion of Constantine's reign. And after...
Then some created doctrine that requires scripture to be twisted and the twisting began. First with the Catholic church and then also with the Protestant church.
The bible is one book,,,, not a set of verses for our use to support what we believe.
morning Joe, (just getting news), nothing personal. learned men of God who have the HOLY GHOST who interpret for us. Philip had the Holy Spirit in him which speak in him. remember, Matthew 10:19 & 20 "But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you".

Luke 21:15 "For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist. And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death. And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake. But there shall not an hair of your head perish. In your patience possess ye your souls".

Just speak what God give you to speak, nothing more, or nothing less.

Reactions: GodsGrace

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Title:- Who’s interpretation is true?

Good point...and I contend that NONE of us will know until the end. However much some people tell others that it is they that has it all correct and 'right' .
EVERYONE believes that what they themselves believes a scripture is saying is correct.
God Word is much like the "whisper Game" He speaks it, and we each believe we hear it and interpret clearly....
Except for the Cross and the foundational truth that saved us..the rest I hold lightly.
I believe I hear things correctly... but only God knows :)

nope you can know, or God wouldn't tell you, you make excuse for not knowing when God reveals His Truth to you. either that or your are saying God isn't skilled enough to communicate that you would understand clearly.

for example the girl in the comic strip know and understood exactly what was meant in the message. the Lord doesn't speak to you so you can't understand, but if you don't when the words are plainly said then maybe you've got a problem.

Reactions: GodsGrace

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@GG, forgot to address
Personally, I trust the early theologians, before everything got all messed up.
I go with the early Church father, the original members. and we have their writing/letters. the apostle Peter, Paul, James, Jude. and his disciples testimony, our brothers, Stephens, Ananias, doctor Luke, the minister preacher, like our sister Phebe. she also the first Bishop of the church at Rome, our ministering sister Euodias, and Syntyche. and which I cannot forget both of our bishops who is husban and wife, Priscilla and Aquila. and the list go on.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

no your are not responsible enough to interpret scripture. God speaks from His own view, hence He is the interpreter thereof, if you are not getting it. Jesus is the fulfillment thereof, therefore the interpretation thereof, according to the Father's satisfaction. if either one of those children in the comic strip didn't understand, they go ask who? wouldn't that be the authority or the one who spoke it, in this case their mother?

the giver of the instructions is the interpreter of the instructions, hence one has to have a relationship with that giver of instruction. could be parents could be one's boss on the job, could be one's teacher, could be the Lord God who gave you a Life to live. we don't know how to live that Life without the instructions to do so.

Reactions: Armadillo

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Totally agree.
This has proved true in my life ...when a baby Christian He shows us one level in a scripture or chapter...then as we mature He shows it a little deeper...and so on.
I still maintain that no one yet..NO, we cannot KNOW all truth, I find that pretty arrogant when people say that they know...they are deluded..not even the early church fathers...none. In fact I would go as far as to say I don't believe those who wrote what God anointed them to write down which is now our bible...clearly understood all that they were writing under the anointing. But that is an aside.
Only God Himself knows all things. People may like to think that they know...but they don't.
Even Paul would not say that he knew all things clearly!

"We know in part...we see in part..through a glass darkly......1 Cor 13:9 - " For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away."

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
@GG, forgot to address

I go with the early Church father, the original members. and we have their writing/letters. the apostle Peter, Paul, James, Jude. and his disciples testimony, our brothers, Stephens, Ananias, doctor Luke, the minister preacher, like our sister Phebe. she also the first Bishop of the church at Rome, our ministering sister Euodias, and Syntyche. and which I cannot forget both of our bishops who is husban and wife, Priscilla and Aquila. and the list go on.
This is all very nice.
So how come we don't agree on everything?
If it's as easy as you say, why do some believe in eternal security which is nowhere to be found in the N.T.?
Why do some claim there is work to do and some claim there is no work to do?
Why do some believe God is to be obeyed and some believe it's not necessary to obey?

Did you know that Ignatius of Antioch knew John the Apostle and studied with him?

So who should I believe more...Ignatius or some guy on here who tell me Ignatius was not inspired, but maybe John Calvin was?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
no your are not responsible enough to interpret scripture. God speaks from His own view, hence He is the interpreter thereof, if you are not getting it. Jesus is the fulfillment thereof, therefore the interpretation thereof, according to the Father's satisfaction. if either one of those children in the comic strip didn't understand, they go ask who? wouldn't that be the authority or the one who spoke it, in this case their mother?

the giver of the instructions is the interpreter of the instructions, hence one has to have a relationship with that giver of instruction. could be parents could be one's boss on the job, could be one's teacher, could be the Lord God who gave you a Life to live. we don't know how to live that Life without the instructions to do so.
Did I say I interpret scripture??
Where?
I do believe I said the opposite.

I don't care for SOLO scriptura. Not to be confused with sola scriptura.
I don't care for persons who sit at home speaking to the Holy Spirit and coming up with all sorts of crazy ideas that have nothing to do with Jesus or the faith He taught -- and then trying to teach others the same.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did I say I interpret scripture??
Where?
I do believe I said the opposite.

I don't care for SOLO scriptura. Not to be confused with sola scriptura.
I don't care for persons who sit at home speaking to the Holy Spirit and coming up with all sorts of crazy ideas that have nothing to do with Jesus or the faith He taught -- and then trying to teach others the same.

you got me there, I read that wrong, I thought you knew better, and was surprised when I though you said otherwise. but it is a mistake on my part, you are correct on "WE are not responsible enough to interpret scripture." its no excuse but one sees so much garbage posted one can assume to see more of the same.

the bottom line on this though is we are incorrect and Jesus is correct, at all times, everywhere, 24/7, in His Kingdom and throughout creation.

its SOP on Christian sites to have threads like "what is a Christian" and Jesus is what a Son of God or a child of God is. a Ferrari is a Ferrari, a dodge isn't a Ferrari. and a Ferrari is counterfeit if it isn't made by the Ferrari in a Ferrari plant. therefore a child of God must be of God.

Joh 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

hence that which is of heaven is in heaven and remains in heaven, that which isn't of heaven cannot ascend into heaven.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn't interpreting where they twist scriptures to mean what they want it to mean so that it supports their theology????

Two of the most overlooked words in Paul's writings are BUT and NOW.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
you are the only one who can interpret Scripture, and you are doing this whenever you choose an interpretation as well, whether someone else initially forwarded the interp or not.

Reactions: amadeus

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn't interpreting where they twist scriptures to mean what they want it to mean so that it supports their theology????

Two of the most overlooked words in Paul's writings are BUT and NOW.

without braking out a dictionary theology is interpretation of men but in Christian circles, theology is interpretation that is believed and supported by more then one Christian and interpretation is the thinking of the individual, that no other Christian believes or supports.

so what's your point of the buts and nows?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is all very nice.
So how come we don't agree on everything?
Amos 3:3 "Can two walk together, except they be agreed?". our walks (beliefs) are different.
Did you know that Ignatius of Antioch knew John the Apostle and studied with him?

So who should I believe more...Ignatius or some guy on here who tell me Ignatius was not inspired, but maybe John Calvin was?
well, we have John today, how come we can't study him today, instead of relaying what other studied under John, including Ignatius, or someone on this site. why don't you be your own Ignatius, or John Calvin with God as your guide. we have 66 books today and have not mastered one. now,.................................. what's wrong? answer, we have not read them. and if you do, do it with the Holy Spirit.

peace in Christ.