Who Do You Go To, To Receive A Gift of the Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who do you go to to receive a spiritual gift?

Let us look to where the fruits of the Spirit comes from.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:......11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

Really? Is it possible that all the words of the Spirit are from Jesus Christ as well?

John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. 14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

So the gifts of the Spirit are from Jesus Christ too.

So Who do you ask for in receiving a gift of the Spirit?

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me......13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

That is Who the Holy Spirit giving credit To and thus glory TO and so should you and that is Who you go to before that throne of grace in asking for a gift from the Spirit.

Since Paul exhorted believers that when they seek any spiritual gift, they were to seek the gift of prophecy over all spiritual gifts; so forget the hype about the gift of tongues that comes by receiving the Holy Spirit separate from salvation because it is not of Him at all. Proof of that is have you heard any other gift of the Spirit to be received in that way? No. So why tongues? Why is that tongue NEVER comes with interpretation, but assumed to be a prayer language of the Holy Spirit? Because that is not how you receive God's actual gift of tongues by seeking to receive the Holy Spirit separate from salvation as that "other" calling is not of Him at all.

Look at the list of the manifestations of the Spirit where Paul concluded that there is only one drink of the One Spirit we were all baptized by.

1 Corinthians 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will. 12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Because so many tongue speakers have gained that kind of tongue without interpretation by what they believe was the Holy Spirit they were receiving apart from salvation, then I ask tongue speakers to go before that throne of grace and ask Jesus in their normal way of speaking in their language for the gift of discerning spirits. Can't hurt, right?

James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. 14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Interesting post. But if I can ask a question, without a snappy response....can you tell me why you take every opportunity that you can to " bash tongues" ?
It must get a bit tiring ( or always on your mind)
The thing is, I do not like liver or kidneys...so I just don't ever eat them!!
But I don't keep on saying to anyone who is listening- " I hate liver and kidneys".
So I am just interested to hear the WHY, of why those who speak in tongues bother 'you' so much ? As it's obvious that it does, because you so often bring it up to take another snipe.
It's a shame really as it spoils a good post.
Just interested ;)

Reactions: bbyrd009

perrero

Aug 6, 2010
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Interesting post. But if I can ask a question, without a snappy response....can you tell me why you take every opportunity that you can to " bash tongues" ?
But I don't keep on saying to anyone who is listening- " I hate liver and kidneys".
So I am just interested to hear the WHY, of why those who speak in tongues bother 'you' so much ? As it's obvious that it does, because you so often bring it up to take another snipe.
Just interested ;)

I agree whole heatedly. I think Jesusisfaithful has had many bad experiences in the past, re: the gifts, and therefore has totally dismissed the gifts of 1Corinthians, which are clearly identified as the Manifestations of the Spirit. His whole theology is adapted to support his phobia of Tongues and Gifts of the Spirit. Sad really!

Reactions: Helen

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just interested ;)

How many tongue speakers do you know that had asked Jesus at that throne of grace for the gift of tongues?

It seems like every one I know got it by receiving the Holy Spirit separate from salvation which is why it never comes with interpretation. This is the lie that Paul warned believers against by reminding them when they had received the sanctification of the Spirit & the belief of the truth at the calling of the gospel.

2 Thessalonians 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: 14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

It is the apostasy in how believers got tongues is why the OP is about on where and Who they should ask for any spiritual gift and not by seeking to receive the Holy Spirit separate from salvation which is the lie and the iniquity that Paul spoke against by reminding believers of when they were saved..

The falling away from the faith is happening now in droves which is why the call to repentance is given out before the Bridegroom comes.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree whole heatedly. I think Jesusisfaithful has had many bad experiences in the past, re: the gifts, and therefore has totally dismissed the gifts of 1Corinthians, which are clearly identified as the Manifestations of the Spirit. His whole theology is adapted to support his phobia of Tongues and Gifts of the Spirit. Sad really!

I believe in God's spiritual gifts. It is the fact that tongue speakers are being ignorant on how & Who they were supposed to get God's actual gift of tongues from.

So repeating an earlier reply from the above poster to you below..

How many tongue speakers do you know that had asked Jesus at that throne of grace for the gift of tongues?

It seems like every one I know got it by receiving the Holy Spirit separate from salvation which is why it never comes with interpretation. This is the lie that Paul warned believers against by reminding them when they had received the sanctification of the Spirit & the belief of the truth at the calling of the gospel.

2 Thessalonians 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: 14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

It is the apostasy in how believers got tongues is why the OP is about on where and Who they should ask for any spiritual gift and not by seeking to receive the Holy Spirit separate from salvation which is the lie and the iniquity that Paul spoke against by reminding believers of when they were saved..

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well, obviously you , as are others ....are welcome to your opinion.
For that is all it is , an opinion. The Day of full revelation, and of who of us understood what correctly, or not ....,is not yet here...
I myself would not want to be found " Sitting in the seat of the scornful" or , as the other scripture says ..." woe unto him who calls good evil and evil good" ...
Just saying.
I asked you my question because in this Christian walk of faith,'for me' , I find there are few and far between "beaches worth dying upon"....and this is one of them.
When we all get to the other side , I doubt that the first thing of 'top priority' to be asked of us , will be:- " So from whom, what , and where did you get tongues?"
I believe more likely , one of the first questions will be in reference to what Jesus commanded us in Mark 12 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength and your neighbour as thyself' There is no commandment greater than these.”

I have a small suspicion that LOVE will be the top priority , far overshadowing the how's , what's and where's of tongues!!!
....but ...that's just my opinion...

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
i'm slowly gathering that what you mean there is what a Pentecostal would term "baptism of the spirit," and you reject this because it does not occur at the same time as what is termed "salvation" by them?

And I just picked "Pentecostal," does any other sect even practice glossololia?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Interesting thread.

Some Quakers do...and the old Apostolic Church that my grandad went to in London did.

Quote:-
< In 2006, researchers at the University of Pennsylvania took brain images of five people while they spoke in tongues. Their research was published in The New York Times. The leader of the study team was Dr. Andrew Newberg, who arrived at this conclusion:

"We noticed a number of changes that occurred functionally in the brain. Our finding of decreased activity in the frontal lobes during the practice of speaking in tongues is fascinating because these subjects truly believe that the spirit of God is moving through them and controlling them to speak. ...Our brain-imaging research shows us that these subjects are not in control of the usual language centers during this activity, which is consistent with their description of a lack of intentional control while speaking in tongues."

When they prayed in tongues, their frontal lobes, the willful part of the brain we use to think and control what we do, were quiet. The language center of their brains—the part we use to speak in our native language—were quiet as well. The people were not in a trance; they were fully aware of what was happening. The researchers were unable to pinpoint which part of the brain was controlling this behavior of speaking in tongues. Dr. Newberg went on to say, "The amazing thing was how the images supported people's interpretation of what was happening. ... The way they describe it, and what they believe, is that God is talking through them."

Speaking in tongues is clearly not a fabricated language, as these scientists have confirmed. It is a spiritual language given to us by God to communicate with Him. >
End quotes.

Reactions: perrero

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
why its an issue for this OPer could be anything. thing is maybe he doesn't have the Holy Spirit with him in the first place and can't fathom how such is manifested in the born again believer. its hard to believe what you have never experienced. just like an atheist doesn't believe because he hasn't experienced the Presence of God, then he would know. but it was Jesus who said that only by His Father does one come to Him and it was His Father that revealed the truth to Peter that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God. it going to be a problem between Him and the Lord if he has a relationship with the Lord at all.

I was raised catholic believing that there was a God, and didn't know that one must be born again, so its not imposable for this soul to be in the same fix. that's no disparaging of catholic church there are many that have been in families of church goers and didn't know God.

Reactions: Helen

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, obviously you , as are others ....are welcome to your opinion.
For that is all it is , an opinion. The Day of full revelation, and of who of us understood what correctly, or not ....,is not yet here...
I myself would not want to be found " Sitting in the seat of the scornful" or , as the other scripture says ..." woe unto him who calls good evil and evil good" ...
Just saying.

The point is, there was and still is a supernatural tongue that was in the world before God's gift of tongues had come at Pentecost. That tongue before Pentecost was and still is vain & profane babbling that can never be interpreted.

God is not the copycat here but tongue speakers that claim that it is a prayer language of the Holy Spirit are forgetting that the Holy Spirit cannot speak for Himself; He can only speak what He hears ( John 16:13 ); therefore His intercessions are unspeakable as with groaning which cannot be uttered hence no sound at all ( Romans 8:26 KJV only )

So how can God call believers to prove all things and abstain from all appearances of evil if they rationalize why God's gift of tongues is not coming with interpretation and not being understood by any foreigner because they think it is a prayer language of the Holy Spirit?

How can a former voodooist that has been saved by Jesus Christ convince other believers and even former fellow voodooists that God has changed his ways if he still practices that supernatural tongue he had been using before he was saved?

Since we KNOW that God's gift of tongues are of other men's lips to speak unto the people, AND tongues are not to serve as a SIGN for anything FOR the believers as stated in 1 Corinthians 14:20-22 ; THEN HOW can anyone preach that there is another baptism of the Holy Spirit or a receiving the Holy Spirit separate from salvation with evidence of tongues when TONGUES are not to serve as a sign to believers at all?

I believe more likely , one of the first questions will be in reference to what Jesus commanded us in Mark 12 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength and your neighbour as thyself' There is no commandment greater than these.”

I have a small suspicion that LOVE will be the top priority , far overshadowing the how's , what's and where's of tongues!!!
....but ...that's just my opinion...

Love also means sharing a vital and urgent concern towards other unwary believers because that falling away from the faith is happening in these latter days as many believers depart from faith that Jesus Christ is in them by becoming an adulterous generation that seeks receiving Jesus Christ again after a sign of tongues.

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
Who do you go to to receive a spiritual gift?

You don't go to anyone to receive any gifts at all if you are not a greedy selfish person who wants things for themselves. You wait for others to come to you with gifts IF they decide they wish to give you something. A gift is something which is given freely to you not something you ask for. You can desire something without asking for it. Anyone who knows what you desire and loves you enough will give you what you desire if they think you deserve it.
The best thing to desire is LOVE according to 1 Cor 13 and that gift is not something you ask to be given to you. It is a gift that you give to others.
1 Cor 13:13 ... the greatest of these is LOVE.

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
Pagan Practices | History of Tongues | Ecstatic Language
Ecstatic language was a common form of worship in pagan temples. It was well established in Ancient Byblos (1100 BC). Plato (429-347 BC) mentions it as a phenomenon in his time. He tells us that a person under divine possession received utterances and visions that the receiver did not understand.

These utterances were sometimes accompanied by physical healing of people present. Virgil (70-19 BC) tells us that the Sibylline priestess, when in prayer, united her spirit with the god Apollo and spoke in strange tongues.

The Pagan Origins of Modern “Speaking in Tongues” | Doctrine Unites!
"His story reminded me of the fact that unintelligible babbling known as “speaking in tongues” in the modern Pentecostal movement is widely practiced in cults and even in non-Christian and pagan religions. Richard Ganz, in 20 Controversies that Almost Killed a Church (p 212) says that this kind of babbling is practiced by Mormons, The Way International, Hindus, Muslims and many others.

But this practice is not only a recent phenomenon, but was common in pagan worship long before Christ came. Robert G. Gromacki, in The Modern Tongues Movement (pp 5-10), documents the history of “speaking in tongues” in antiquity. Some of these ecstatic babbling were reported in the “Report of Wenamon” (about 1100 BC), Plato’s Dialogues (5th century BC), and Virgil’s Aeneid (1st century BC). The Graeco-Roman mystery religions before and after the Christian era most probably practiced these babbling utterances. "

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't go to anyone to receive any gifts at all if you are not a greedy selfish person who wants things for themselves. You wait for others to come to you with gifts IF they decide they wish to give you something. A gift is something which is given freely to you not something you ask for. You can desire something without asking for it. Anyone who knows what you desire and loves you enough will give you what you desire if they think you deserve it.
The best thing to desire is LOVE according to 1 Cor 13 and that gift is not something you ask to be given to you. It is a gift that you give to others.
1 Cor 13:13 ... the greatest of these is LOVE.

Would you say that about Paul who directed believers that if they seek any spiritual gift, to seek the gift of prophesy, and began explaining why by comparing the gift of prophesy against the gift of tongues in the next chapter which is 1 Corinthians 14th?

So it is significant about Who you go to in asking for a spiritual gift because it isn't by asking the Holy Spirit. Reread the OP to see why if you missed that.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
The researchers were unable to pinpoint which part of the brain was controlling this behavior of speaking in tongues.
yes, problem is you can spout nonsense in your native language and the same thing happens, no part of the brain is used, so this is hardly the ringing endorsement of glossololia that it is made out to be imo, and it def does not reach the Scriptural standard of xenoglossy, however you cut it. Paul even discusses this, and terms it "gurgling and cooing, like a baby," although that is obscured in most translations.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Bbyrd009 said...yes, problem is you can spout nonsense in your native language and the same thing happens, no part of the brain is used!!

Haha!! I liked that ....it did give me a good chuckle ....thanks. How can I disagree :)

Reactions: bbyrd009

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who Do You Go To, To Receive A Gift of the Spirit?
I don't believe you go to anyone. Spiritual gifts are gifts from God, so if you have to ask for one, you're probably not prepared for the responsibilities that go with it. Plus you're probably tempting God by asking for something you don't deserve.

Desiring a spiritual gift and asking for a spiritual gift are two totally different things. One is scriptural, and to best of my knowledge, the other is not. (If I'm wrong on this please correct me)

People treat spiritual gifts like they're a common thing. Like the door man at Walmart with the smiley face stickers, the Lord is just handing them out to anyone who asks. Well it doesn't work like that. Need proof? Visit a cancer ward.

Gifts of the Holy Spirit are just that. Gifts. It's not a gift if you have to ask for it.

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
Would you say that about Paul who directed believers that if they seek any spiritual gift, to seek the gift of prophesy, and began explaining why by comparing the gift of prophesy against the gift of tongues in the next chapter which is 1 Corinthians 14th?

So it is significant about Who you go to in asking for a spiritual gift because it isn't by asking the Holy Spirit. Reread the OP to see why if you missed that.
Paul was explaining to them that they need to speak in known languages if their words were going to edify anyone other than themselves.
He was also explaining to them that speaking unknown languages in public is unprofitable and useless unless the words are interpreted so people can understand them.
It is interesting to note 1 Cor 14:21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.
That scripture is referring to the Lord speaking known languages to people yet they still would not hear or understand what he was talking about.
Also note Isaiah 28:11 For with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people.
That is prophetically referring to "the Lord" who according to the above 2 scriptures spoke in languages which the hearers could comprehend but they still did not hear or understand in spite of him speaking TO THEM in a known language.
Why did they not understand? Because he was talking about spiritual things and not about physical things. People who take the bible literally, still don't understand today in spite of the words in the bibles all over the world being in their own languages.
It is about speaking "mysteries" with words that can be understood by those who want to understand them. The rest just read babble and nonsense, even if it is in their native language.

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
I don't believe you go to anyone. Spiritual gifts are gifts from God, so if you have to ask for one, you're probably not prepared for the responsibilities that go with it. Plus you're probably tempting God by asking for something you don't deserve.

Desiring a spiritual gift and asking for a spiritual gift are two totally different things. One is scriptural, and to best of my knowledge, the other is not. (If I'm wrong on this please correct me)

People treat spiritual gifts like they're a common thing. Like the door man at Walmart with the smiley face stickers, the Lord is just handing them out to anyone who asks. Well it doesn't work like that. Need proof? Visit a cancer ward.

Gifts of the Holy Spirit are just that. Gifts. It's not a gift if you have to ask for it.
I totally agree with that.

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
Pagan Practices | History of Tongues | Ecstatic Language
Ecstatic language was a common form of worship in pagan temples. It was well established in Ancient Byblos (1100 BC). Plato (429-347 BC) mentions it as a phenomenon in his time. He tells us that a person under divine possession received utterances and visions that the receiver did not understand.

These utterances were sometimes accompanied by physical healing of people present. Virgil (70-19 BC) tells us that the Sibylline priestess, when in prayer, united her spirit with the god Apollo and spoke in strange tongues.

It is also interesting to note that Jesus called the "tongues speaking" or ecstatic language of the heathen, vain repetitions.
Matt 6:7-8 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

If the "Father" knows that you need BEFORE you ask, there is no need to ask for anything at all.
Isaiah 65:24 And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.

If Isaiah 65:24 is true, then all prayers have already been answered and there is no reason anyone need to ask for anything.
What people should do is open their eyes to see the answers which are already there.

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
The Day of full revelation, and of who of us understood what correctly, or not ....,is not yet here...

When do you presume this Day of full revelation will arrive?
Are you going to wait forever for the LIGHT to come?

Isaiah 60:1 Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the LORD is risen upon thee.

Those who are not in the FULL LIGHT of revelation obviously remain in darkness.