Who Falls From Grace & Who Falls Short Of It?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Who Falls From Grace?

Gal 5:4
You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

They made a good start but were turning away from God who called them into the grace of Christ:
  • Gal 1:6 I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel,
The crucifixion of Christ would be redundant and the grace of God set aside if righteousness came another way.
  • Gal 2:21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain."

Who Falls Short Of Grace?

Heb 12:14-16 Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: (15) looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled; (16) lest there be any fornicator or profane person like Esau, who for one morsel of food sold his birthright.

They who do not fully receive the unmerited favour of God as a gift made available through faith in Christ for salvation, fall short or fail of the grace of God, and may well trust in good works, or completely apostasise.

• Rom 11:6 And if by grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace. But if it is of works, it is no longer grace; otherwise work is no longer work.
  • Heb 10:29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

It is often reported that someone has fallen from grace when they do something sinful and destroy their reputation, but does this mean God's grace is no longer available to them?

Reactions: marks and APAK

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is often reported that someone has fallen from grace when they do something sinful and destroy their reputation, but does this mean God's grace is no longer available to them?
I'm sure it doesn't. God is our loving Father and if we return to him after a time of separation caused by our own sin then, like the Father of the prodigal, he will welcome us back with open arms. We might move away from him but he doesn't move away from us is what I believe.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello stumpmaster,

If one sees their works as what they did and not what God is doing in and through them. That may be considered falling from grace.

When it becomes more of the look at me and what I’m doing attitude rather than look at God and what He had being doing with me in my heart.

It all depends on the heart and attitude of the person of whatever they profess.

For me I know I still do nothing good, but anything that does come through that is good, is always God through the spirit in me producing that fruit, which requires me to stay abiding in the vine of Christ where in Him nourishment of the spirit is obtained. (Everlasting water, everlasting bread)

Depends on what the person believes if they need to add to the work that Jesus had fulfilled and finished or they have faith in death,burial, and resurrection of Christ and they realize everything that is life changing is all glory to The Father in heaven in thankfulness of the Lord Jesus, who is our Lord, Master, Shepard.

We can’t do nothing good (in the spiritual sense of faith and love without the spirit: which comes from God.)

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who Falls From Grace?

You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

They made a good start but were turning away from God who called them into the grace of Christ:
  • Gal 1:6 I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel,
The crucifixion of Christ would be redundant and the grace of God set aside if righteousness came another way.
  • Gal 2:21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain."

Heb 12:14-16 Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: (15) looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled; (16) lest there be any fornicator or profane person like Esau, who for one morsel of food sold his birthright.

They who do not fully receive the unmerited favour of God as a gift made available through faith in Christ for salvation, fall short or fail of the grace of God, and may well trust in good works, or completely apostasise.

• Rom 11:6 And if by grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace. But if it is of works, it is no longer grace; otherwise work is no longer work.
  • Heb 10:29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
But then for any who are now His sons...?

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who Falls From Grace?

Good subject here....
There has always been a big misunderstanding concerning the grace of God given to some of us sinful human beings. Not all are given it mind you. God chooses according to his criteria and desire. We do not choose him and his grace for salvation, he chooses us. And we therefore must meet his requirements then he accepts us as his own, because of his grace or his forgiving divine nature. He wants us home again, with no questions asked.

His grace is given as a free gift for sure, although no amount of work as compensation can measure up to it. However, there is a criteria for it to be granted, this grace of God. He alone gives it upon meeting spiritual requirements (for another time). We cannot just say we want it even at the point of fasting and bearing many tears.....he knows our heart!

If we are not/never accepted by him, we have fallen or always fall from grace, period! And yes we can then also say we are still falling short of his Grace.

Falling short of grace to one who has been accepted with the grace of God already mean or indicates we cannot be saved without it. To remind us we have lost his favor, temporarily, and are never perfect, as we stumble and stray away from the Father in Christ from time to time. Falling 'short' from grace has nothing to do with our salvation status - it is not in jeopardy at all. We have already been saved by his grace. It is an indicator of our imperfection and how great our God is in comparison, and he alone is always the one that should be merited with the glory in our lives when we do 'fall short.' To look upon him, and his Son, as our Saviour!

I must add as a footnote:
Now the Hebrews scripture you address, and others by Paul speaks to many of the elders and the physical congregations around at that time. Paul does not speak to us as a future generation of people after him. And therefore his definition of especially falling short of grace is DIFFERENT for us as was his intention and meaning for back then.

There were many borderline seekers still toying with Christ and the Law and many were Judaizers. There were many professing Christians in these congregations. And many 'fell short' of the grace to be given to them, still as unbelievers, not as true Christians. And many of them eventually and completely rejected or fell away for accepting the Grace of God, and Christ. They were the sowers of bitterness and discord within the congregations, as Esau was in his time.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me I know I still do nothing good, but anything that does come through that is good, is always God through the spirit in me producing that fruit, which requires me to stay abiding in the vine of Christ where in Him nourishment of the spirit is obtained. (Everlasting water, everlasting bread)
I'd agree, the person finding merit towards God in their own works is fallen from grace, and not completely reliant on Christ.

Much love!

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I'd agree, the person finding merit towards God in their own works is fallen from grace, and not completely reliant on Christ.

Much love!
Yes, and the Christian that slips and falls into sin, rather than being cast away without remedy, incorrectly described as having fallen from grace, can access more grace in order to be restored.

• Heb 4:14-16 Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. (15) For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. (16) Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
But this abundance of God's grace is not to be abused, as Paul exhorted.

• Rom 6:1-2 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? (2) Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?
So having begun in the Spirit of God's Grace but then going off course by trusting in the law or dead works for salvation, is a true description of what falling from grace is.

Reactions: marks

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Try reading your own proof text: those who do not pursue holiness and peace fall short of the grace of God.

The text says without holiness no one will see the Lord, meaning won’t make it to heaven, and this falls in line with all Paul’s many warnings to the brethren.

Heb 12:14 Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord.

Heb 12:15 See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no “root of bitterness” springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled;

Heb 12:16 that no one is sexually immoral or unholy like Esau, who sold his birthright for a single meal.

Falling short of the grace of God is unholy living and sexual immorality.

Last edited:

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Heb 12:14 Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord.

I am “Holy” in the same sense that I am “ Righteous”—— it was something “ IMPUTED” to me when I first Trusted Jesus Plus Nothing to save me.....
Yes,
Positional Holiness is ours if we confess with our mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in our heart that God has raised Him from the dead.

Practical Holiness is ours if we, being raised with Christ:
  • seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God.
  • set our mind on things above, not on things on the earth
  • believe in faith that we died, and our life is hidden with Christ in God, and
  • that when Christ who is our life appears, we also will appear with Him in glory
  • put to death our members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
  • remember that because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience,
  • and that we ourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of our mouth.
  • do not lie to one another, since we have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him, where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all.
This is what the writer of Hebrews has in view as follows:
  • Heb 12:16-17 lest there be any fornicator or profane person like Esau, who for one morsel of food sold his birthright. (17) For you know that afterward, when he wanted to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no place for repentance, though he sought it diligently with tears.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you suggesting something, Curtis? Not sure how objectively you are coming at this topic.
I’m suggesting you are wrong.

I explained why.

The text says why a believer can fall short of grace: living immorally.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes,
Positional Holiness is ours if we confess with our mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in our heart that God has raised Him from the dead.

Practical Holiness is ours if we, being raised with Christ:
  • seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God.
  • set our mind on things above, not on things on the earth
  • believe in faith that we died, and our life is hidden with Christ in God, and
  • that when Christ who is our life appears, we also will appear with Him in glory
  • put to death our members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
  • remember that because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience,
  • and that we ourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of our mouth.
  • do not lie to one another, since we have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him, where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all.
This is what the writer of Hebrews has in view as follows:
  • Heb 12:16-17 lest there be any fornicator or profane person like Esau, who for one morsel of food sold his birthright. (17) For you know that afterward, when he wanted to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no place for repentance, though he sought it diligently with tears.

So you agree that OSAS is not true, and that Christians are expected and required to love righteously, and repent when we fail?

Here’s more scripture on that:

Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.

Eph 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Eph 5:3 But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints.

Eph 5:4 Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.

Eph 5:5 For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

Eph 5:6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.

Eph 5:7 Therefore do not become partakers with them.

1Pe 1:14 As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance,

1Pe 1:15 but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct,

1Pe 1:16 since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.”

1Th 4:3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality;

1Th 4:4 that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor,

1Th 4:5 not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God;

1Th 4:6 that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you.

1Th 4:7 For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness.

1Th 4:8 Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
So you agree that OSAS is not true, and that Christians are expected and required to love righteously, and repent when we fail?

Here’s more scripture on that:

Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.

Eph 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Eph 5:3 But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints.

Eph 5:4 Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.

Eph 5:5 For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

Eph 5:6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.

Eph 5:7 Therefore do not become partakers with them.

1Pe 1:14 As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance,

1Pe 1:15 but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct,

1Pe 1:16 since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.”

1Th 4:3 For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality;

1Th 4:4 that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor,

1Th 4:5 not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God;

1Th 4:6 that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you.

1Th 4:7 For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness.

1Th 4:8 Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you.
Seriously, I've not posted anything relating to the dispute you raise.

The letter to the Hebrews repeatedly warns against apostasy, the moving away from Positional Holiness.

Heb 2:1-4
Therefore we must give the more earnest heed to the things we have heard, lest we drift away. (2) For if the word spoken through angels proved steadfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just reward, (3) how shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation, which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him, (4) God also bearing witness both with signs and wonders, with various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit, according to His own will?