Who has read Malachi lately?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who has read Malachi lately? :)

I do love this verse:

"Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name."
Good topic, was this not seen in the conversion of captian Cornelius in the book of Acts chapter 10.
Acts 10:1 There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band,
Acts 10:2 A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway.
Acts 10:3 He saw in a vision evidently about the ninth hour of the day an angel of God coming in to him, and saying unto him, Cornelius.
Acts 10:4 And when he looked on him, he was afraid, and said, What is it, Lord? And he said unto him, Thy prayers and thine alms are come up for a memorial before God.

what do the word "memorial" mean here. it's the Greek word,
G3422 μνημόσυνον mnemosunon (mnee-mo-sï '-non) n.
a reminder (memorandum), i.e. record.
[from G3421]
KJV: memorial

a Reminder is to REMEMBER. let's go back to the book of Malachi and the said stated verse.
Mal 3:16 Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.
Mal 3:17 And they shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.

the Hebrew word for "remembrance" is
H2146 זִכרוֹן zikrown (zik-rone') n-m.
a memento (or memorable thing, day or writing).
[from H2142]
KJV: memorial, record.
Root(s): H2142

MEMORIAL?, what did the angel say to Captian Cornelius? Acts 10:4 And when he looked on him, he was afraid, and said, What is it, Lord? And he said unto him, Thy prayers and thine alms are come up for a memorial before God.

Maybe you might want to make a cross reference of those two section of verses.

so what else do we seen in these verses. A. Captian Cornelius was saved, because B. he was born again, and C. because he was saved, and because he was born again, he's a "SON" of God. how do we know this, Mal 3:17 And they shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him. was that not what the BOOK of REMEMBRANCE all about?.

Be blessed.

Reactions: jessiblue

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Good topic, was this not seen in the conversion of captian Cornelius in the book of Acts chapter 10.
Acts 10:1 There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band,
Acts 10:2 A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God alway.
Acts 10:3 He saw in a vision evidently about the ninth hour of the day an angel of God coming in to him, and saying unto him, Cornelius.
Acts 10:4 And when he looked on him, he was afraid, and said, What is it, Lord? And he said unto him, Thy prayers and thine alms are come up for a memorial before God.

what do the word "memorial" mean here. it's the Greek word,
G3422 μνημόσυνον mnemosunon (mnee-mo-sï '-non) n.
a reminder (memorandum), i.e. record.
[from G3421]
KJV: memorial

a Reminder is to REMEMBER. let's go back to the book of Malachi and the said stated verse.
Mal 3:16 Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.
Mal 3:17 And they shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.

the Hebrew word for "remembrance" is
H2146 זִכרוֹן zikrown (zik-rone') n-m.
a memento (or memorable thing, day or writing).
[from H2142]
KJV: memorial, record.
Root(s): H2142

MEMORIAL?, what did the angel say to Captian Cornelius? Acts 10:4 And when he looked on him, he was afraid, and said, What is it, Lord? And he said unto him, Thy prayers and thine alms are come up for a memorial before God.

Maybe you might want to make a cross reference of those two section of verses.

so what else do we seen in these verses. A. Captian Cornelius was saved, because B. he was born again, and C. because he was saved, and because he was born again, he's a "SON" of God. how do we know this, Mal 3:17 And they shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him. was that not what the BOOK of REMEMBRANCE all about?.

Be blessed.
Thank-you!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who has read Malachi lately? :)

I do love this verse:

"Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name."

That is a good verse! Maybe I'll take a look at it tomorrow. Been a long time. : )

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That is a good verse! Maybe I'll take a look at it tomorrow. Been a long time. : )
Thanks for your comment!

Just goes to show that in days of apostasy those who fear the Lord need to identify actively with each other (in corresponding New Testament terms, this means fellowship, walking in the light, etc., e.g., John's First Epistle).

Reactions: Acolyte

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Who has read Malachi lately?
Not lately, but sufficiently. It has some very significant Scriptures.

I have loved you, saith the LORD. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us?...

For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same my name shall be great among the Gentiles...

For the priest's lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek the law at his mouth: for he is the messenger of the LORD of hosts...

For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.

Reactions: Acolyte and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Not lately, but sufficiently. It has some very significant Scriptures.

I have loved you, saith the LORD. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us?...

For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same my name shall be great among the Gentiles...

For the priest's lips should keep knowledge, and they should seek the law at his mouth: for he is the messenger of the LORD of hosts...

For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.

Not about the church, but certainly for the church's profit and learning...I love this short prophecy.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not about the church, but certainly for the church's profit and learning...I love this short prophecy.
Yes and No. Take the passage on divorce.

For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: [DIVORCE] for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.

It is perfectly fitting for the Church as well as for Israel. Jesus taught that divorce was unacceptable other than for one reason.

We could go into several passages in Malachi which are perfectly relevant for the Church.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes and No. Take the passage on divorce.

For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: [DIVORCE] for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.

It is perfectly fitting for the Church as well as for Israel. Jesus taught that divorce was unacceptable other than for one reason.

We could go into several passages in Malachi which are perfectly relevant for the Church.
There is wisdom for us in the church, yes, indeed. My point was that dispensationally the subject of Malachi is not the church, which began at Pentecost.

(BTW, the so called divorce exception clause I would see as being about the Jewish betrothal period.)

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven't read it in awhile but I just read it again.....I am particularly encouraged in the prophesy given in the last chapter.
Malachi 4 King James Version (KJV)
4 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the Lord of hosts.

4 Remember ye the law of Moses my servant, which I commanded unto him in Horeb for all Israel, with the statutes and judgments.

5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord:

6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I haven't read it in awhile but I just read it again.....I am particularly encouraged in the prophesy given in the last chapter.
Malachi 4 King James Version (KJV)
4 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.

2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the Lord of hosts.

4 Remember ye the law of Moses my servant, which I commanded unto him in Horeb for all Israel, with the statutes and judgments.

5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord:

6 And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.
A searching but also as you say a very encouraging book!

Thank-you.