Who is a “Christian”?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who is a Christian

This is meant to be a Bible study thread on who the Bible calls a Christian, but I put it under debate because I don’t mind people asking questions. I won’t hide in some other forum.
I don’t care whether people claim to be a Christian or not. All I want to do is examine who the Bible calls a Christian. That is all that matters. The word is thrown around way to loosely.

In Isaiah 62 we find this..
2 And the Gentiles shall see thy righteousness, and all kings thy glory: and thou shalt be called by a new name, which the mouth of the Lord shall name.

The name Christian is a name prophesied and given to by the Lord. It is not an invention of man.
Acts 11 is the first place we find this word.
26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

This word “called” carries a divine meaning. It is the idea that this is a name given by inspiration and not that man just came up with it here in Antioch.
It came from God!
And is it any coincidence that this is right after gentiles had been given the gospel.
Some believe it to be a term of derision given by their enemies but that is not likely the case.

So, God is the only one that can name a person a Christian. He gets to decide who is and isn’t a Christian. We can claim anything we want but it is God who has given us information that we can study and learn about who is and isn’t a Christian.
To be cont’d

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We will start out with....Who is NOT a Christian

1 nice, loving, charitable
Just because somebody is nice and friendly, very loving, gives to others, does not make them a Christian. I know plenty of very fine people who really have no flaws but they do not believe in Jesus. They might believe there is a God but are not believers in Christ.
Jesus said...unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins.

2 those who claim to be a Christian.
How many people claim Christ as savior and go around saying Lord this and Lord that. They may also claim all kinds of glorious things “in the name of the Lord”, but that DOES NOT make one a Christian. Jesus said..

Matthew 7:21-23 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

These are people who claim Christ but Jesus states that he never knew them. You cannot be a Christian if Christ does not know you. This is why I say that only God can call a person a Christian and he does so when you meet his terms of acceptance.

3 those who believe only
The second time we find this word is in acts 26 with king Agrippa. Paul preaches Christ to him and says...
27 King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thou believest.
An inspired apostle states that he knows Agrippa is believing what he has to say and Agrippa responds with...
28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, ALMOST thou persuadest me to be a Christian.
In Jn 12 we find people who believed but would not confess. These aren’t people who God accepts. Acts 10 states that God accepts people who fear him and work righteousness. It is possible to ALMOST be a Christian. I believe that is the state of most “Christians”.
To be cont’d

Last edited:

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does the Bible describe those whom he calls Christian.

Let’s study acts 11.
In vs 26 we see that the Disciples were first called Christians here in Antioch. So, let’s back up a few verses and see just who these people were. Because, in order for us to be what they are, we would have to be described in the same way. If not why not.

A Christian, according to the Bible is....
.....A person who has heard preaching the lord Jesus vs 20

.....A person who has believed AND turned to the lord. Vs 21
A person cannot just believe but must also turn. What’s does that mean?
In acts 2:38 they were told to repent and be baptized for remission of sins and the same preacher just one chapter later said....repent and turn to God so that your sins may be blotted out.
The Bible explains to us that to turn to God is to be obedient to his directives and not mans. To look to him for salvation and that includes being obedient in baptism. (The same as calling on the name of the lord) acts 22:16
This is what Paul also preached...
Acts 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.
Same message as Peter.

.....A person who has received grace vs 23. (Thought question....how were they able to “see the grace of God”?). A person receives grace when they are obedient to the directives given, through grace, by the lord. Think about Noah. He received grace but it wasn’t “seen” until AFTER he was obedient.

......A person who cleaves to the lord (someone who is faithful) vs 23

......A person who has been “added to the lord”. Vs24
We first see this in acts 2...
Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
A person is “added” by the lord after they have been obedient in baptism.
Finally, a Christian is one who...
.....assembles with the saints. Vs 26

So, to sum it up.
IF you have.....

Heard the word of the lord
Believed
Repented
Turn to God or been obedient in baptism to remove your sins
Have been added to the lord (after obedience)
Cleave unto the lord. (Just means to be faithful)
And assemble with the saints

THEN YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN.
If not, why not?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who is a "Christian" ? <--- OP

One who is a disciple of Christ.

A disciple of Christ "learns" about Christ, "follows" Christ's teachings, "believes" in Jesus the Christ.....AND Can STOP;
learning, following, believing.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Helen

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was wondering...where does God, the Father Himself, have a name or label for His children?
Hindu, Christian, Sufi...
Thanks...I am just not aware. I thought these labels were man made...no?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Why do we need to ask this question?

Reactions: Helen

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was wondering...where does God, the Father Himself, have a name or label for His children?

1 Sam 9 (and 31 more times)
[16] To morrow about this time I will send thee a man out of the land of Benjamin, and thou shalt anoint him to be captain over my people Israel, that he may save my people out of the hand of the Philistines: for I have looked upon my people, because their cry is come unto me.

Glory to God,
Taken

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Sam 9 (and 31 more times)
[16] To morrow about this time I will send thee a man out of the land of Benjamin, and thou shalt anoint him to be captain over my people Israel, that he may save my people out of the hand of the Philistines: for I have looked upon my people, because their cry is come unto me.
Glory to God,
Taken
So what you're saying is 'my people' is a label? Did He call them Jews? I guess He called them Israel?
I don't know all that much in the Old T.
Does He call people 'Christians'...in the Bible?
Thanks.
Then I'll stop bugging everybody.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So what you're saying is 'my people' is a label? Did He call them Jews? I guess He called them Israel?
Thanks.
The term 'Christian' was originally a derogatory or insulting term first used by the people of Antioch. The followers of Jesus called each other brothers and sisters, saints, disciples and were called Followers of the Way. It doesn't matter what we call ourselves though, because it is matter for the heart and only God can see what is going on in our hearts and minds. Only God can see if what is in our hearts is acceptable and true. It is not for us to judge anybody else's faith as we are all on a journey, together but separately. Our journeys will all be different, with different resting points and different times of pressing on. We need to be gentle and kind to each other and help those who are weaker or more frail along the way.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks.

I'm saying Israel is Gods People. Not a country, A Name reference to Gods People.

Christian is a Name reference that men who DID NOT believe in Jesus the Christ Messiah, called people who were following Jesus' teachings and DID believe in Jesus thee Christ Messiah.

Jesus called men Who followed Him Disciples.

Jesus called men who called on Him with heartfelt True Belief...in God AND Jesus....
Converted.

Expressions commonly used IS:
Converted IN Christ
Or
Saved and Born Again Christian.

A man Converted IN Christ Becomes:
Forgiven.
BODY washed in Jesus' Blood.
BODY sanctified.
BODY Justified to be Risen immortal, in glory.
Spiritually Bodily Crucified with Christ.
Soul Restored and Saved unto the Lord.
Receives a new heart, i.e. circumcision.
Receives the Indwelling Spirit of God.
Receives the Seed of God.
New Heart receives Gods Word/ His Truth.
SEED of God allows man to Grow in God knowledge and His Understanding of His Word.
Gift of Increase from small MEASURES of FAITH...to Faith-FULLNESS.
Now Prepared...
To serve God According to His Will.
And...
For the Day of His Choosing to Redeem (Claim/ Take) unto Himself that which now With "consent" (of the individual) belongs To Him/ Lord God...ie His Inheritance. <--- ISRAEL is also Gods Inheritance.

Ps... NOT bugging me.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read this verse and see how it relates to the question. It certainly speaks of a name for you and for me IF we are overcomers:

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it." Rev 2:17

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it." Rev 2:17
I don't think that name is 'Christian', do you? (Sorry, I just don't.) It may be
'Beloved'...

Reactions: Pearl and amadeus

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think whoever has been made partakers of the Divine Nature (born again) could be called a Christian.

(my thinks)

Blessings,

Much love in Christ, Not me

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think whoever has been made partakers
of the Divine Nature (born again) could be called a Christian.
(my thinks)
Blessings,
If someone is Born Again...but just can not believe in the Virgin birth...or say
thinks Jesus was not 'exactly' resurrected...what then?
I made those up ...I'm not talking about me, btw.
I'm being particular, I know...can not get rid of the Nicene Creed as a definition.

If it were me..Hey, I would say a person that loves and tries to be like Jesus would be called a Christian. Simple.
Or anyone that simply says they are. But, I don't see that it is up to me to define it.

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If someone is Born Again...but just can not believe in the Virgin birth...or say
I'm being particular, I know...can not get rid of the Nicene Creed as a definition.

If it were me..Hey, I would say a person that loves and tries to be like Jesus would be called a Christian. Simple.
Or anyone that simply says they are. But, I don't see that it is up to me to define it.

I look at the thief on the cross,,, what did he do to get saved.

Being saved, being born again, being made partakers of the Divine Nature, being accepted in the beloved, being in Christ, being regenerated and I’m sure there are more are different ways of saying the same truth just bringing forth it by it’s different aspects. And that is;

you are now God’s....and that makes you a Christian.

As far as how One becomes a Christian?

What did the thief do?

He turned to Christ.

(That’s my understanding anyways, hope it helps)

Blessings,

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

It comes down to the state of a person's heart. Is their heart right with God. My son was brought up by Christian parents but he can't accept Christ for himself as he doesn't believe the bible account of creation.

Reactions: Not me

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He turned to Christ.
I know, right? I ALWAYS think of the criminal to the right!
It is one of the biggest demonstrations of what God's Love is like...you can be horrible! (You do not
get crucified for stealing bread)...and in one minute of belief, hope, turning to God, asking...and God melts,
opens His arms like the Father of the Prodigal son...in other words...all God cares about is Love...He has no pride,
no memory, no anger...He is just in the Now wanting 'you'...
your acknowledgment, recognition, attention...a drop of your heart...and you can go to Paradise. :)

Reactions: Not me and Pearl

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know, right? I ALWAYS think of the criminal to the right!
It is one of the biggest demonstrations of what God's Love is like...you can be horrible! (You do not
get crucified for stealing bread)...and in one minute of belief, hope, turning to God, asking...and God melts,
opens His arms like the Father of the Prodigal son...in other words...all God cares about is Love...He has no pride,
no memory, no anger...He is just in the Now wanting 'you'...
your acknowledgment, recognition, attention...a drop of your heart...and you can go to Paradise. :)

I agree, as long as we are in the body salvation can be had by whosoever will.

Oh, that all would will and come to the Tree of Life. :)

Blessings,

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Being saved, being born again, being made partakers of the Divine Nature, being accepted in the beloved, being in Christ, being regenerated and I’m sure there are more are different ways of saying the same truth just bringing forth it by it’s different aspects. And that is;

you are now God’s....and that makes you a Christian.

As far as how One becomes a Christian?

What did the thief do?

He turned to Christ.

(That’s my understanding anyways, hope it helps)

Blessings,

The thief wasn’t a Christian. A “Christian” is one who has obeyed the gospel. 1 pet 4:16,17
Rom 6:17,18, 10:16
The gospel that we are accountable to began AFTER the resurrection and ascension of Christ. Long AFTER the thief had died. It began in acts 2 being preached to the Jews and began to be preached to the gentiles in acts 10. That is why disciples in acts 11 were FIRST called Christians in Antioch. Acts 11:26. This is AFTER the gospel had been delivered to both Jew and gentile which is all flesh.