Who is God, What is God, Why is God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faithsong

Jan 18, 2021
Bergs Mill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who is God?

We use the generic term 'God' all the time, but have we stopped to ask ourselves who we believe God really is? What are God's powers, characteristics, and attributes? How do you define the Holy Spirit? A million different people have a million different definitions of God — what's yours?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Who is God?

We use the generic term 'God' all the time, but have we stopped to ask ourselves who we believe God really is? What are God's powers, characteristics, and attributes? How do you define the Holy Spirit? A million different people have a million different definitions of God — what's yours?
@Faithsong John 1.18 has a good answer:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

15 John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.

16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.

17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

18 No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hebrews 1.1-9 also:

God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son
, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.

5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.

7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.

8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.

9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Faithsong

Jan 18, 2021
Bergs Mill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Faithsong John 1.18 has a good answer:
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

15 John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.

16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.

17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

18 No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.
I accept this however I still wonder who is God.

What did he do before us? or are we it?

If not should we be looking for his other projects both before and after us? I mean he whooped us up in 6 days which would mean 52 more Earths in just a year

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP. just a few in IMO,

#1. Who is God, JESUS. Matthew 1:23.

#2. What is God, a Spirit, John 4:24a

#3. Why is God, Creator and Maker of all things, LIFE, (Isaiah 42:5, John 1:3 & 4), Redeemer and Saviour of all things, (Job 19:25, John 3:16) and Comforter and Advocate for all things. (John 14:16, 1 John 2:1).

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

Faithsong

Jan 18, 2021
Bergs Mill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP. just a few in IMO,

#1. Who is God, JESUS. Matthew 1:23.

#2. What is God, a Spirit, John 4:24a

#3. Why is God, Creator and Maker of all things, LIFE, (Isaiah 42:5, John 1:3 & 4), Redeemer and Saviour of all things, (Job 19:25, John 3:16) and Comforter and Advocate for all things. (John 14:16, 1 John 2:1).

PICJAG
Did Jesus create the Earth?

Seems a little dubious, being that he came to save it

Stuart

Jan 1, 2021
Scotland
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
He is Our Creator in Control of everything, what is his purpose? I think He has Found a Purpose in Man, His purpose is Creation, to Create and Control. man has found a purpose in him too which was made stronger through Christ thanks to God.

Faithsong

Jan 18, 2021
Bergs Mill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He is Our Creator in Control of everything, what is his purpose? I think He has Found a Purpose in Man, His purpose is Creation, to Create and Control. man has found a purpose in him too which was made stronger through Christ thanks to God.
Since God knew exactly what he was doing as it only took him 6 days to create the entire Earth, should we assume that we are alone in the Universe, or are there other 6 day jobs?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since God knew exactly what he was doing as it only took him 6 days to create the entire Earth, should we assume that we are alone in the Universe, or are there other 6 day jobs?
6 days? how are you speaking in days? earth days, I hope not.

nope we're not alone in the universe, 1 Corinthians 15:40

but any other 6 day creations......... ????

PICJAG

Faithsong

Jan 18, 2021
Bergs Mill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
6 days? how are you speaking in days? earth days, I hope not.

nope we're not alone in the universe, 1 Corinthians 15:40

but any other 6 day creations......... ????

PICJAG
Just saying that we could have been the billionth Earth that God created. No way to know, but if this is true we should be looking for our brothers and sisters

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just saying that we could have been the billionth Earth that God created. No way to know, but if this is true we should be looking for our brothers and sisters
Why?

PICJAG

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
But did God make anything on a far away planet that is speculating about us?

You have any reason why God made mosquitoes and malaria?
@Faithsong

We concentrate on what God has revealed in His Word.

Romans 5.12: "by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned". This is why God graciously sent the Saviour to die in the place of sinners who would trust in Him.

Reactions: 101G

Faithsong

Jan 18, 2021
Bergs Mill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Faithsong

We concentrate on what God has revealed in His Word.

Romans 5.12: "by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned". This is why God graciously sent the Saviour to die in the place of sinners who would trust in Him.
Has it ever occurred to you, that if all the answers were in the bible that there would be no questions, or disease, or hate and war?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not.

Why? So we have something to look forward too
thanks for the reply, second, farouk gave you the answer,

We are of the EARTH, "dust", and we have billions of brothers and sisters right here on this planet that we need to find, (and be converted and saved), so why look billions of light years away when we have billion right here needed to be found?

PICJAG

Faithsong

Jan 18, 2021
Bergs Mill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
thanks for the reply, second, farouk gave you the answer,

We are of the EARTH, "dust", and we have billions of brothers and sisters right here on this planet that we need to find, (and be converted and saved), so why look billions of light years away when we have billion right here needed to be found?

PICJAG
Why look to cure disease? Why look to engineer new grain strains to grow in the desert. Why not learn how to revive the dead

What is God

Will there be disease, or hunger or death when God is known?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why look to cure disease? Why look to engineer new grain strains to grow in the desert. Why not learn how to revive the dead

What is God
Why LOOK, ask in his name..... John 14:14 "If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it." why are you not asking instead of LOOKING?

"Why look to engineer new grain strains to grow in the desert". again, see above, why LOOK... Philippians 4:19

"Why not learn how to revive the dead" Ecclesiastes 3:1, note the very last part of the scripture, and 1 Thessalonians 4:16, WHY? John 11:25

PICJAG