Who Is Michael, The Archangel?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sunday 11-6-22 1st. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Cheshvan 10, 5783 46th. Fall Day

Part 1

251 Chapter 16 Who Is Michael, the Archangel? Only three angels are mentioned by name in the Bible, and only one of them is described as an “archangel”! One is Gabriel, one is Lucifer, who became Satan the Devil, and the third one is Michael. In Revelation 12, we read that “Michael, and his angels, fought with the devil, and his angels” (Rev.12:7). Michael is also called “the great prince, the protector of your people” (Daniel 12:1). Who is this mysterious figure? Is there more to “Michael” than the “Christian” world understands? Here is the evidence set forth, line by line, item by item, fact by fact, proof by proof. The angel Michael is only mentioned by his name in four passages in the Bible, yet those passages are fraught with meaning.

Before identifying who Michael is, let us examine the Scriptural descriptions of this mighty angelic being. An old axiom I learned in algebra and geometry is that two things equal to the same thing are equal to each other! For example, if A = 7 and B = 7, then A = B. Simple, isn’t it! So let’s see what this means in the process of proving who Michael, the archangel, really is! Michael the PRINCE In Daniel the tenth chapter we read that the angel Gabriel came to Daniel, when he had completed a period of fasting and prayer. He came to give Daniel a message about the future, a prophecy. He went on to say: “Do not fear, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words have been heard, and I have come because of your words. But the prince of the kingdom of Persia opposed me twenty-one days. So Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, and I left him there with the prince of the kingdom of Persia . . . .” 252 The Ferrar Fenton translation has this passage thus: “But the Prince of the kingdom of Persia stood opposing me twenty-one days, but MIKAL ONE OF THE FIRST PRINCES, came and helped me.” In Hebrew, the word translated “CHIEF” can also be translated “FIRST.” It is the word rishon and means “first, in time, place, or rank.”

It is from the word rishah meaning “a beginning.” The word “Prince” is from the Hebrew sar, meaning “a head person, captain, chief, general, governor, keeper, lord, master, prince.” It is derived from the word sarar, meaning “to have dominion, bear rule.” Gabriel concluded his message, saying: “Now I must return to fight against the prince of Persia, and when I get through with him, the prince of Greece will come. But I am to tell you what is inscribed in the book of truth. There is no one with me who contends against these princes except MICHAEL, YOUR PRINCE” (Dan.10:12-13, 20-21, NRSV).

Notice from these verses that Michael is identified as “ONE OF THE CHIEF PRINCES,” as being greater than Gabriel, and as “YOUR PRINCE” – that is, the one who was over the children of Israel. Daniel also records about Michael in chapter 12, where we read that “at the time of the END” of this age (Dan.11:40) something unique will happen: “At that time MICHAEL, THE GREAT PRINCE, THE PROTECTOR OF YOUR PEOPLE, SHALL ARISE.

There will be a time of anguish such as has never occurred since nations first came into existence. But at that time your people shall be delivered” (Dan.12:1). Ferrar Fenton has this verse, “Mikal, the Great Prince, who DEFENDS the children of your people, will stand up, and a period of distress will come . . .” Here is further crucial testimony to help identify Michael – he is called “THE GREAT PRINCE,” indicating he is greater than other princes; and he is “the PROTECTOR” of the people of Israel. The New King James Version says he “STANDS WATCH” over the people of Israel.

Last edited:

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Part 2 Who Is Michael The Archangel?

The Name “Michael” Before we go further, take note of the name “Michael.” In the Hebrew, it is Miyka’el, and means “who [is] like God?” The name “Gabriel” means “man of God,” but Michael has a much more imposing name – “[one] who [is] LIKE GOD.” Very 253 interesting! Says Gesenius Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon, he is one “who intercedes for Israel before God.” Thus he is an “intercessor” for the children of Israel, the people of God! The New Testament Michael is also mentioned in the New Testament. We read in the epistle of Jude, “Yet Michael THE ARCHANGEL, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, ‘The Lord rebuke you!’” (Jude 9, NKJV). The word “archangel” is used only twice in the Bible. It is the Greek word archaggelos, meaning “chief angel.” It is a composite word, composed of archo, meaning “to be FIRST (in political rank or power).” The word aggelos means a “messenger” or “angel.” So an archangel would be a CHIEF ANGEL – FIRST in rank and power.

Take note: Michael is the ONLY ONE said to be the “archangel” of God – none other has this attribution or rank! Archangel means “chief angel” or “principal angel” – the highest ranking angel! The term only occurs in the singular. This implies that there is but ONE whom the Father has designated “chief” or “head” of the angelic host! This word “archangel” is also connected with the second coming of Christ, the Messiah. We read in I Thessalonians 4:16, “For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the VOICE OF AN ARCHANGEL, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.” That voice would be His very own voice! The voice that thunders and cracks like the voice of many waters! “The voice of the LORD is over the waters; the God of glory thunders; the LORD is over many waters. The VOICE of the LORD is POWERFUL; the voice of the LORD is full of Majesty. The voice of the LORD breaks the cedars, yes, the LORD splinters the cedars of Lebanon. . . The voice of the LORD divides the flames of fire. The voice of the LORD shakes the wilderness” (Psalm 29:3-8).

When Christ returns, He will utter His mighty voice, and “cry, yea, ROAR” from on high (Isaiah 42:13, KJV). Says the prophet Isaiah, when the Messiah comes, “Behold, the name of the LORD comes from afar, burning with His anger, and His burden is heavy; His lips are full of indignation, and His tongue like a devouring fire. . . . The LORD will cause His glorious VOICE to be heard, and show the descent of His arm, 254 with the indignation of His anger and the flame of a devouring fire, with scattering tempest and hailstones” (Isaiah 30:27-30). Could the voice of the archangel be the voice of the LORD Himself – the thundering voice of Jesus Christ, the Son of God? Why would a lesser voice be mentioned since He will utter His own mighty voice when He comes in blazing wrath and furious anger? War in Heaven Finally, we read again of Michael in one more place – Revelation 12, a prophecy for the very near frightening future! “And WAR broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer.

So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him” (Rev.12:7-9, NKJV). Who is this great Warrior Archangel? This champion and leader of all the righteous angels, will WAGE WAR against the Devil and DEFEAT him and his angelic hordes? Has anyone qualified to defeat the Devil and overthrow Him? The only one who has qualified to conquer and defeat the Devil is Jesus Christ Himself, when He defeated him by resisting his temptations in the wilderness, after fasting forty days and forty nights! (See Matt.4:1-10). He defeated him, also, and all his plans and ploys, by His death on the cross! As Paul wrote, “Inasmuch as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might DESTROY HIM who had the power of death, that is, the DEVIL” (Heb.2:14). 255 No one else has qualified to defeat the Devil! No one else has qualified to SAVE God’s people! In Revelation, the apostle John records a strong angel asking the question, “Who is worthy to open the scroll and to loose its seals?” (Rev.5:1).

John wept, because “no one was found worthy” (v.4). But one of the elders says to him, “Do not weep, Behold, the LION of the tribe of Judah, the Son of David, has PREVAILED to open the scroll and to loose its seven seals” (v.5). Only Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God, is worthy – “For You were slain, and have redeemed us to God by Your blood . . . and have made us kings and priests to our God” (v.9-10). He triumphed over Satan through His death on the cross – “having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them,, triumphing over them” (Col.2:15). As Paul declared, “But thanks be to God, who gives us the VICTORY through our Lord Jesus Christ” (I Cor.15:57).

Reactions: Nancy

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Are you identifying Jesus as Michael the Archangel?

Are you familiar with, or in some way connected with, William F. Dankenbring?

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Name “Michael” Before we go further, take note of the name “Michael.” In the Hebrew, it is Miyka’el, and means “who [is] like God?” The name “Gabriel” means “man of God,” but Michael has a much more imposing name – “[one] who [is] LIKE GOD.” Very 253 interesting! Says Gesenius Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon, he is one “who intercedes for Israel before God.” Thus he is an “intercessor” for the children of Israel, the people of God! The New Testament Michael is also mentioned in the New Testament. We read in the epistle of Jude, “Yet Michael THE ARCHANGEL, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, ‘The Lord rebuke you!’” (Jude 9, NKJV). The word “archangel” is used only twice in the Bible. It is the Greek word archaggelos, meaning “chief angel.” It is a composite word, composed of archo, meaning “to be FIRST (in political rank or power).” The word aggelos means a “messenger” or “angel.” So an archangel would be a CHIEF ANGEL – FIRST in rank and power.

Take note: Michael is the ONLY ONE said to be the “archangel” of God – none other has this attribution or rank! Archangel means “chief angel” or “principal angel” – the highest ranking angel! The term only occurs in the singular. This implies that there is but ONE whom the Father has designated “chief” or “head” of the angelic host! This word “archangel” is also connected with the second coming of Christ, the Messiah. We read in I Thessalonians 4:16, “For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the VOICE OF AN ARCHANGEL, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first.” That voice would be His very own voice! The voice that thunders and cracks like the voice of many waters! “The voice of the LORD is over the waters; the God of glory thunders; the LORD is over many waters. The VOICE of the LORD is POWERFUL; the voice of the LORD is full of Majesty. The voice of the LORD breaks the cedars, yes, the LORD splinters the cedars of Lebanon. . . The voice of the LORD divides the flames of fire. The voice of the LORD shakes the wilderness” (Psalm 29:3-8).

When Christ returns, He will utter His mighty voice, and “cry, yea, ROAR” from on high (Isaiah 42:13, KJV). Says the prophet Isaiah, when the Messiah comes, “Behold, the name of the LORD comes from afar, burning with His anger, and His burden is heavy; His lips are full of indignation, and His tongue like a devouring fire. . . . The LORD will cause His glorious VOICE to be heard, and show the descent of His arm, 254 with the indignation of His anger and the flame of a devouring fire, with scattering tempest and hailstones” (Isaiah 30:27-30). Could the voice of the archangel be the voice of the LORD Himself – the thundering voice of Jesus Christ, the Son of God? Why would a lesser voice be mentioned since He will utter His own mighty voice when He comes in blazing wrath and furious anger? War in Heaven Finally, we read again of Michael in one more place – Revelation 12, a prophecy for the very near frightening future! “And WAR broke out in heaven: Michael and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer.

So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him” (Rev.12:7-9, NKJV). Who is this great Warrior Archangel? This champion and leader of all the righteous angels, will WAGE WAR against the Devil and DEFEAT him and his angelic hordes? Has anyone qualified to defeat the Devil and overthrow Him? The only one who has qualified to conquer and defeat the Devil is Jesus Christ Himself, when He defeated him by resisting his temptations in the wilderness, after fasting forty days and forty nights! (See Matt.4:1-10). He defeated him, also, and all his plans and ploys, by His death on the cross! As Paul wrote, “Inasmuch as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might DESTROY HIM who had the power of death, that is, the DEVIL” (Heb.2:14). 255 No one else has qualified to defeat the Devil! No one else has qualified to SAVE God’s people! In Revelation, the apostle John records a strong angel asking the question, “Who is worthy to open the scroll and to loose its seals?” (Rev.5:1).

John wept, because “no one was found worthy” (v.4). But one of the elders says to him, “Do not weep, Behold, the LION of the tribe of Judah, the Son of David, has PREVAILED to open the scroll and to loose its seven seals” (v.5). Only Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God, is worthy – “For You were slain, and have redeemed us to God by Your blood . . . and have made us kings and priests to our God” (v.9-10). He triumphed over Satan through His death on the cross – “having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them,, triumphing over them” (Col.2:15). As Paul declared, “But thanks be to God, who gives us the VICTORY through our Lord Jesus Christ” (I Cor.15:57).
Part 3 Who Is Michael The Archangel?

“My Angel” Now let’s approach this subject from a different angle. Notice! In Exodus 23, we read:“Behold, I send an Angel before you to keep you in the way and to bring you into the place which I have prepared. Beware of Him and obey His voice; do not provoke Him, for He will not pardon your transgressions; for MY NAME IS IN HIM. But if you indeed obey His voice and do all that I speak, then I will be an enemy to your enemies and an adversary to your adversaries. For My Angel will go before you and bring you in to the Amorites and the Hittites and the Perizzites and the Canaanites and the Hivites and the Jebusites; and I will cut them off. You shall not bow down to their gods, nor serve them, nor do according to their works; but you shall utterly overthrow them and completely break down their sacred pillars” (Exodus 23:20-24, NKJV). Notice! The Lord God calls this angel “My Angel”! – this Angel has the power to punish for SINS; God commands His people that they must OBEY HIM, do not provoke Him to anger, and indeed says “MY NAME” – the name of God Himself – is “IN HIM”! What Angel could this be? The translators put this word “Angel” with a capital first letter, indicating that they understood it to refer to the Pre-existent One who became Christ – the MESSIAH! Ferrar Fenton has this passage: 256 “Then I will send My Messenger before your face to guard you in all your way, and to bring you to the place where I will fix you. Regard his presence and listen to his voice. Grieve him not that he may not rise to punish you, for my POWER is around him. But if you listen to his voice, and do all that I shall command, then I will love you, but I will distress your distressers. For my Messenger shall march before You . . . .” Notice! God’s own POWER is in and around Him! Fenton put the word “power” in all capital letters.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Michael is definitely a mysterious creation...it seems that many of the verses in your post are used by those who believe Michael is Jesus. Like our beloved SDA's and Jehovah's Witnesses. But as far as that is concerned the scriptures that come to me are: "Hebrews 1:5, "For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?"

Hebrews 1:1-4

1 "God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:
4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they."

Just vs 1-4 show Jesus above every angel.
This is not at all that I believe that YOU think Jesus was Michael, because I know you don't (least I THINK yo don't, lol)

Very interesting subject brother and sister! I will be watching this thread.
In Him always, be blessed.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Part 3 Who Is Michael The Archangel?

“My Angel” Now let’s approach this subject from a different angle. Notice! In Exodus 23, we read:“Behold, I send an Angel before you to keep you in the way and to bring you into the place which I have prepared. Beware of Him and obey His voice; do not provoke Him, for He will not pardon your transgressions; for MY NAME IS IN HIM. But if you indeed obey His voice and do all that I speak, then I will be an enemy to your enemies and an adversary to your adversaries. For My Angel will go before you and bring you in to the Amorites and the Hittites and the Perizzites and the Canaanites and the Hivites and the Jebusites; and I will cut them off. You shall not bow down to their gods, nor serve them, nor do according to their works; but you shall utterly overthrow them and completely break down their sacred pillars” (Exodus 23:20-24, NKJV). Notice! The Lord God calls this angel “My Angel”! – this Angel has the power to punish for SINS; God commands His people that they must OBEY HIM, do not provoke Him to anger, and indeed says “MY NAME” – the name of God Himself – is “IN HIM”! What Angel could this be? The translators put this word “Angel” with a capital first letter, indicating that they understood it to refer to the Pre-existent One who became Christ – the MESSIAH! Ferrar Fenton has this passage: 256 “Then I will send My Messenger before your face to guard you in all your way, and to bring you to the place where I will fix you. Regard his presence and listen to his voice. Grieve him not that he may not rise to punish you, for my POWER is around him. But if you listen to his voice, and do all that I shall command, then I will love you, but I will distress your distressers. For my Messenger shall march before You . . . .” Notice! God’s own POWER is in and around Him! Fenton put the word “power” in all capital letters.
Continued Part 3

This is certainly a most unusual angel! A very unique “Messenger”! God calls this angel “MY Angel!” “The Angel of the Lord” This Angel would be the same one, then, often referred to as “the angel of the Lord,” in the Old Testament. Throughout the Old Testament, and in the New, the expression is used, “The Angel of the Lord.” Who is this, and what are his characteristics? He is first mentioned in Genesis 16:7. “Now the Angel of the LORD found her [Hagar, Sarai’s maid] by a spring of water in the wilderness . . . . The Angel of the LORD said to her, ‘Return to your mistress, and submit yourself under her hand.’ Then the Angel of the LORD said to her, ‘I will multiply your descendants exceedingly, so that they shall not be counted for multitude. . . . Then she called the name of the LORD who spoke to her, You-Are-the-God-Who-Sees; for she said, ‘Have I also here seen Him who sees me?’” (Gen.16:7-13). Notice that this “Angel of the Lord” is also called THE LORD, and “the God who sees” (El roi, “the God who sees,” in Hebrew). This is fascinating! Here an Angel is called GOD! What kind of angel is this?

The Angel of the LORD also spoke to Abraham, the father of the faithful. God tested Abraham and told him to take Isaac to a mountain and there to sacrifice him (Gen.22:1-3). When Abraham reached the spot, and was about to slay his son in obedience, we read, “But the Angel of the LORD called to him from heaven and said, ‘Abraham! Abraham!’ So he said, ‘Here I am.’ And He said, ‘Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God . . . . And Abraham called the name of the place, The-LORD-Will-Provide . . . 257 “Then the Angel of the LORD called to Abraham a second time out of heaven, and said, ‘By Myself, I have sworn, says the LORD, because you have done this thing, and have not withheld your son, your only son – blessing I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven . . .’” (Gen.22:11-16). Mystery of mysteries! This Angel was no less than the LORD! Yet, He was also the angel OF the “LORD”! How can this be? The mystery thickens. Later on, Jacob wrestles with an angel all night.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

I never met Dankenbring but I’ve read some of his writings and briefly corresponded with him. That would have been sometime in the late ‘80s (before he left the Worldwide Church of God) or early ‘90s (after he founded a ministry of his own - Triumph, or something like that.)

I didn’t think you were a JW but you dId remind me of Dankenbring.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Michael is definitely a mysterious creation...it seems that many of the verses in your post are used by those who believe Michael is Jesus. Like our beloved SDA's and Jehovah's Witnesses. But as far as that is concerned the scriptures that come to me are: "Hebrews 1:5, "For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?"

Hebrews 1:1-4​

1 "God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:

4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they."

Just vs 1-4 show Jesus above every angel.

This is not at all that I believe that YOU think Jesus was Michael, because I know you don't (least I THINK yo don't, lol)

Very interesting subject brother and sister! I will be watching this thread.

In Him always, be blessed.

Hi Nancy. Because Michael is named archangel, literally chief of the angels, it doesn't necessarily follow that he is a created angel.
Horror of horrors, Biden is the commander in chief of all the armed forces in America. Does that mean he is a soldier?

Reactions: Nancy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Nancy. Because Michael is named archangel, literally chief of the angels, it doesn't necessarily follow that he is a created angel.
Horror of horrors, Biden is the commander in chief of all the armed forces in America. Does that mean he is a soldier?
The term arch angel means "high angel". It's a term used to describe an angel that is in command of other angels. I don't follow that Michael is Jesus either. The bible would have pointed that fact out in an obvious manner.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never met Dankenbring but I’ve read some of his writings and briefly corresponded with him. That would have been sometime in the late ‘80s (before he left the Worldwide Church of God) or early ‘90s (after he founded a ministry of his own - Triumph, or something like that.)

I didn’t think you were a JW but you dId remind me of Dankenbring.
Monday 11-7-22 2nd. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Cheshvan 11, 5783 47th. Fall Day

Hello Matthias, how are you all? we heard of Dankenbring in 1997 from a friend at Church but met him in 2006, he was our Pastor since then, until he passed in 2017.

Love, Walter and Debbie

Reactions: Matthias

shortangel

Aug 23, 2020
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
as far as we know, Michael the Archangel talked to the prophet Daniel & explained to him about some prophesies in the book of Daniel, in Revelation the Archangel is going to defeat Satan & he will be cast down to earth at that time

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
as far as we know, Michael the Archangel talked to the prophet Daniel & explained to him about some prophesies in the book of Daniel, in Revelation the Archangel is going to defeat Satan & he will be cast down to earth at that time
Who is Michael the archangel?
video
Michael the archangel
audio
ANSWER

Michael the archangel is described in the Bible, in the books of Daniel, Jude, and Revelation, as a warrior angel who engages in spiritual combat. The word archangel means “angel of the highest rank.” Most angels in the Bible are portrayed as messengers, but Michael is described in all three books as contending, fighting, or standing against evil spirits and principalities (Daniel 10:13; 21; Jude 1:9; Revelation 12:7). We do not have a full picture of any angel, and only two are named in the Bible (Gabriel is the other). Scripture only gives us hints of their movements during human events, but it is safe to say that Michael the archangel is a powerful being.

Despite his great power, Michael is still in total submission to the Lord. His dependence on the Lord’s power is seen in Jude 1:9. The righteous angels have a rank and are submissive to authority, and for this reason they are used as a picture of a wife’s submission to her husband (1 Corinthians 11:10). Taking into consideration the strength of Michael the archangel, his submission to God is all the more beautiful. If the submission of angels is an argument for woman’s submission, we can see that submission is never meant to take away a woman’s strength or purpose or value.

The prophet Daniel is told that Michael the archangel is “the great prince who protects your people” (Daniel 12:1). Daniel’s people are the Jews, and the fact that Michael “protects” them suggests that God has set various holy angels over various countries or people groups. The demons seem to have a similar hierarchy (see Daniel 10:20). The fact that Michael is a “great prince” indicates that he has authority in the spiritual realm. There are others—Daniel 10:13 says that Michael is “one of the chief princes.”

Michael the archangel has, it seems, a prominent role in the events of the end times. Daniel was told by the angel of the Lord that, during the time of the end, Michael will “arise” and there would be a time of unsurpassed trouble—a reference to the Great Tribulation (Daniel 12:1). Israel is guaranteed protection during this time, which will be followed by a great resurrection of the dead—some to everlasting life and others to everlasting shame (Daniel 12:2). The rapture of the church will be accompanied by “the voice of the archangel” (1 Thessalonians 4:16); this could be a reference to Michael, but Scripture does not specifically name him here.

The last mention of Michael the archangel appears in Revelation 12:7. During the tribulation, “war broke out in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back.” Michael and the forces of heaven defeat the dragon (Satan), and the Devil is hurled to the earth. There, enraged, Satan “went off to wage war against . . . those who keep God’s commands and hold fast their testimony about Jesus” (Revelation 12:17).

There is a spiritual war being fought over the hearts and souls of mankind. Michael the archangel is a strong angelic prince who protects Israel and submissively serves God by doing battle against Satan. The Devil can do his worst, but “he [is] not strong enough” to conquer heaven’s forces (Revelation 12:8).

Very clear from reading this and the scripture quotations the Christ Jesus is NOT Michael

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
KJV Luke 10:18
18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven .

KJV Revelation 12:7-13
7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.
13 And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman which brought forth the man child.

i believe the above two quotes are of different events at different times.

When Satan began on his course of rebellion, I believe we can be confident that God gave him every opportunity to repent, but there came a time when mercy was withheld, and the first quote above applied, being past tense from when Jesus spoke. Hence Satan's presence in Eden.
The second quote is past tense from the the point of John's writing, after Calvary.
I would suggest that before the fall, Satan and his angels were cast out, nevertheless had limited access to heaven throughout the OT. The word 'war' is πολεμέω polemeo, from which we derive the words polemics, and politics. I am not convinced that the Son of God, and the Father, needed to use physical weapons against spirits. The rebellion was a bid for the throne. It entailed slander and denigration of the Lord, in an attempt to convince the angelic host that Lucifer, aka Satan, could rule better. One third of the angels believed him. Lucifer was a covering cherub, one of the two closest to the throne, and therefore respected and loved by all, and one can believe that after being tossed out, many angels who remained may have harbored some doubts and thoughts that maybe Lucifer was right. They needed convincing. They didn't openly rebel, nor did they take Lucifer's side, so the ideas and slanders and lies that were spread would have been powerfully convincing. Aren't those same lies and slanders still prevalent in today's society? What would have finally convinced the angels in heaven of the true character of God, and that Satan was a liar? Calvary. Thus Satan was permanently cast out, and all access to heaven forbidden... See Job 2 where he was even then the accuser of the brethren, where during the OT he had limited access, but his dominion which he stole from Adam, using the same lies and slanders (Hath God said). Even in the church today there is a conflict of opinions regarding who God is, His true character, and His intentions for mankind.
Satan is now bound to the earth, and his bonds will be even more strict when during the millennium the earth will be devoid of all human life, and he will have no-one to lie to, and no-one to support him.

How did Jesus overcome, and how are we to overcome... By the blood of the Lamb, and the word of our testimony. The weapons of our warfare are spiritual. They are truth, and they are faith in God's promises.

Satan's war against God's people, the remnant of the seed of the woman, is still politics. He cannot use physical weapons, but he can certainly incite humans to use such against the church.

Which is why the Lord didn't squish Satan from the outset. Satan may have ceased to exist, but his ideas would have continued and even confirmed had God destroyed him. That's why we are still here. The war isn't over. The politics and polemics continues. In the end, Satan's true motives will be open for all to see, and all doubts will be cast aside, and God's character and ways vindicated. Sadly, by then it will be too late for most, the opportunity to be saved by faith will be over, and the reality of experiential witness will take over. The final remnant of God's people will demonstrate God's character to the utmost, and those who hate God will demonstrate Satan's character. Even now we see the world dividing into two camps, and that division widening every day.

Reactions: Johann
Status
Not open for further replies.