Who is your Apostle?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it the 12 who were told to not go in the way of the Gentiles and who never repealed the Law of Moses?

Or is it Paul who was sent by Jesus to the Gentiles with the Gospel of grace that excluded the Law?

Reactions: Dave L

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is it the 12 who were told to not go in the way of the Gentiles and who never repealed the Law of Moses?

Or is it Paul who was sent by Jesus to the Gentiles with the Gospel of grace that excluded the Law?

Thou knowest, and thou knowest that we knowest...or should know... :)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is it the 12 who were told to not go in the way of the Gentiles and who never repealed the Law of Moses? Or is it Paul who was sent by Jesus to the Gentiles with the Gospel of grace that excluded the Law?
The twelve foundations of the New Jerusalem have the names of "the twelve apostles of the Lamb" engraved therein. So as far as the Lord is concerned, all twelve apostles (including Paul, excluding Judas) are true apostles, and for Christians they are all valid apostles.

The apostles did not have the authority to repeal the Law of Moses. Thar was repealed when Christ cried out on the cross "It is finished". But they were commissioned to preach the Gospel to all nations, and that they did faithfully, and were also martyred.

Hyper-Dispensationalism (or Ultra-Dispensationalism) tries to put a wedge between the apostles of Christ and Paul. But that is totally bogus.

Reactions: marks

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have heard that Thomas went to India to preach and was martyred there. Don't know if it's true or not. But if it is, why do you suppose all those Hebrews in India killed him?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But if it is, why do you suppose all those Hebrews in India killed him?
Why do you suppose it was Hebrews who killed him? The fanatic Hindu priests killed Thomas.

Thomas was killed with a spear, according to Foxs' Book of Martyrs:"Called Didymus, preached the Gospel in Parthia and India, where exciting the rage of the pagan priests, he was martyred by being thrust through with a spear."

The martyrdom of the Apostles

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do you suppose it was Hebrews who killed him? The fanatic Hindu priests killed Thomas.

Thomas was killed with a spear, according to Foxs' Book of Martyrs:"Called Didymus, preached the Gospel in Parthia and India, where exciting the rage of the pagan priests, he was martyred by being thrust through with a spear."

Yep. That's my point! Paul was indeed appointed to go to the gentiles, but I donk know that the other apostles didn't.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I would not call An Apostle, "Either" / "Or".

Rather I would say one who IS an Apostle, IS a TEACHER thee Lord God has PREPARED to "REVEAL" His Word...

And the BENEFIT forward to me, IS Knowing WHAT "Word" every Apostle/Teacher Teaches, and "APPLY" personally to me, the Teachings, that do so APPLY, specifically/personally to me.

Glory to God,
Taken

D

Dave L

The "Jewish" ministry lasted until the last genuinely circumcised physical Jews died off. That would be those circumcised before Calvary. Since then Paul set the tone since all were now gentiles being added to Christian Israel through faith in Christ.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gal 2:7-9
7 But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to me, as the gospel for the circumcised was to Peter
8 (for He who worked effectively in Peter for the apostleship to the circumcised also worked effectively in me toward the Gentiles),
9 and when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that had been given to me, they gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised.
NKJV

In the above the writer lists two gospels. If it is not saying that then what is it saying?

Acts 11:19
19 Now those who were scattered after the persecution that arose over Stephen traveled as far as Phoenicia, Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to no one but the Jews only.
NKJV

According to these scriptures The 12 (or 11) made an agreement with Paul that he (Paul) would go to the Gentiles and they (the 12) would go to the Jews. ---- Did they keep that agreement?

It looks like they did in Acts 11:19.

It should be seen that the 12 only agreed that the Gentiles did not have to keep the Law of Moses but it never says that the Jews did not have to.

Just my observations. What do you see in these verses of scripture?

Please don't preach a sermon with other scriptures I am only thinking about these. Please, lets not have a scripture battle.

D

Dave L

7 But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to me, as the gospel for the circumcised was to Peter
8 (for He who worked effectively in Peter for the apostleship to the circumcised also worked effectively in me toward the Gentiles),
9 and when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that had been given to me, they gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised.
NKJV

In the above the writer lists two gospels. If it is not saying that then what is it saying?

19 Now those who were scattered after the persecution that arose over Stephen traveled as far as Phoenicia, Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to no one but the Jews only.
NKJV

According to these scriptures The 12 (or 11) made an agreement with Paul that he (Paul) would go to the Gentiles and they (the 12) would go to the Jews. ---- Did they keep that agreement?

It should be seen that the 12 only agreed that the Gentiles did not have to keep the Law of Moses but it never says that the Jews did not have to.

Please don't preach a sermon with other scriptures I am only thinking about these. Please, lets not have a scripture battle.
Are you asking me?

D

Dave L

NKJV

NKJV

““And God, who knows the heart, testified to them giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He also did to us; and He made no distinction between us and them, cleansing their hearts by faith. “Now therefore why do you put God to the test by placing upon the neck of the disciples a yoke which neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? “But we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they also are.”” (Acts 15:8–11)

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
““And God, who knows the heart, testified to them giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He also did to us; and He made no distinction between us and them, cleansing their hearts by faith. “Now therefore why do you put God to the test by placing upon the neck of the disciples a yoke which neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear? “But we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus, in the same way as they also are.”” (Acts 15:8–11)

Acts 15:10-11
10 Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved in the same manner as they."
NKJV

think about it. If Peter is saying that the Jews shall be saved in the same manner as the Gentiles then isn't he saying that salvation is obtained by Faith in Jesus' work on the cross outside of the Law of Moses? Doesn't this color the event in Acts 21:20 where the believing Jews wanted to kill Paul?

This is the meat of the discussion between the 12 and Paul. To the believing Jews salvation comes by believing Jesus is their Messiah and King and keeping the Law of Moses But Paul is saying salvation comes by faith in God's grace poured out on the cross without the works of the Law of Moses.

D

Dave L

Acts 15:10-11
10 Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved in the same manner as they."
NKJV

think about it. If Peter is saying that the Jews shall be saved in the same manner as the Gentiles then isn't he saying that salvation is obtained by Faith in Jesus' work on the cross outside of the Law of Moses? Doesn't this color the event in Acts 21:20 where the believing Jews wanted to kill Paul?

This is the meat of the discussion between the 12 and Paul. To the believing Jews salvation comes by believing Jesus is their Messiah and King and keeping the Law of Moses But Paul is saying salvation comes by faith in God's grace poured out on the cross without the works of the Law of Moses.
No Ten Commandments since Christ initiated the New Covenant. The Apostles used them for reference and commentary, but believers are not under them.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yep. That's my point! Paul was indeed appointed to go to the gentiles, but I don
It seems obvious to me that the gospel never went to the east but to the west.
We see no evidence it went East from the Bible. At best the North Eastern shores of Turkey. That is true..

But the Bible is silent on where 9 of the original 11 Apostles went. We wnow where Peter and John went. We know what appended to Judas (whether he can ever be considered an Apostle... I don't know) and of course we know about Paul's travels.

What of the other 9? What do you suppose they did? Where did they go or did they ignore Jesus when he commissioned them to preach the Gospel to the world?

Just asking. Where did they go?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We personally don't have apostles. Apostles are sent by God....so they are His...not ours. We shouldn't seek to be particular in our obedience either. The bible is the whole counsel of God. There is no use in undermining what one apostle says in regards to another. They are to be taken as a whole.

Reactions: amadeus

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep. That's my point! Paul was indeed appointed to go to the gentiles, but I don

We see no evidence it went East from the Bible. At best the North Eastern shores of Turkey. That is true..

But the Bible is silent on where 9 of the original 11 Apostles went. We wnow where Peter and John went. We know what appended to Judas (whether he can ever be considered an Apostle... I don't know) and of course we know about Paul's travels.

What of the other 9? What do you suppose they did? Where did they go or did they ignore Jesus when he commissioned them to preach the Gospel to the world?

Just asking. Where did they go?

Back to Jerusalem. Even Peter, after he saw that a Gentile was saved and the Holy Spirit fell on them, he went straight back to Jerusalem.

I think people have the idea that the 12 were to leave Israel and go out into the world without converting the Jews first to accept Jesus. How could they make Gentiles believe Jesus was the Son of God if they couldn't convince the Jews.

If you try to understand the parable of the Barren Fig tree you will see that the 12 had about 40 years to convince the Jews to believe Jesus is their Messiah and King but the Jews never did and so God destroyed the Jewish Temple and turned to the Gentiles with a gospel of grace.

The Barren Fig Tree:

Luke 13:6-9
6 He also spoke this parable: "A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none.
7 Then he said to the keeper of his vineyard, 'Look, for three years I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree and find none. Cut it down; why does it use up the ground?'
8 But he answered and said to him, 'Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and fertilize it.
9 And if it bears fruit, well. But if not, after that you can cut it down.'" NKJV

Jesus spent 3 years in His ministry to the nation of Israel (the fig tree) and they did not accept Him as their king. After His crucifixion His apostles had about 40 years (to dig around it). But it never happened so God concluded that all had sinned, destroyed the Jewish Temple, and therefore He now offered salvation by grace to all. Up until this time the only way a Gentile could be saved was through a saved Jew. Now everyone is on a level playing field.

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They are to be taken as a whole.

So, according to you, we are NOT to """RIGHTLY DIVIDE THE WORD OF TRUTH""". WE are to blend them all together and interpret the contradictions to support a theology. Where does that leave us?

2 Tim 2:15-16
15 Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
16 But shun profane and idle babblings, for they will increase to more ungodliness.
NKJV