Who or what is a Christian ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
imho a Christian is a born again Infidel, Atheist, Pagan etc - twinc

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
imho a Christian is a born again Infidel, Atheist, Pagan etc - twinc

In this day and age , good question...what or who is a "Christian"!! :eek:
The whole definition of the word has changed now.

Acts 11:22
"... they sent forth Barnabas, that he should go as far as Antioch.
Who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God, was glad, and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord.
For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith: and much people was added unto the Lord.
26 And when he had found Saul, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch."

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf." I Peter 4:16

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And what is an infidel, a pagan or an atheist... so that we better understand from where the Christians are coming? In other words what were they and what are they now?

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
In this day and age , good question...what or who is a "Christian"!! :eek:
The whole definition of the word has changed now.

Acts 11:22
"... they sent forth Barnabas, that he should go as far as Antioch.
Who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God, was glad, and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord.
For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith: and much people was added unto the Lord.
26 And when he had found Saul, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch."

once upon a time there were no Christians but only Infidels, Atheists and Pagans etc imho - twinc

no Christians but only non Christians to be precise or exact but dictionary states
Pagan = a person who holds religious beliefs other than those of the main world religion
Infidel = one whose religion is not that of the majority
imho - twinc

Last edited:
Reactions: pastor marty

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
once upon a time there were no Christians but only Infidels, Atheists and Pagans etc imho - twinc

Hey twinc
Can't go there with you..I agree once upon a time there was no Christians..but from the beginning there have always been the faithful God followers. Seth, Enoch, Noah etc...
Which is what the early church were also, until other people ( non God followers) started calling them "Christians"...
They did not christen themselves with that name.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And now in addition to those three and real Christians [followers of Christ] are there not also some who lie in between? In the end that will not be, but in the interim...

Reactions: pia

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Hey twinc
Can't go there with you..I agree once upon a time there was no Christians..but from the beginning there have always been the faithful God followers. Seth, Enoch, Noah etc...
Which is what the early church were also, until other people ( non God followers) started calling them "Christians"...
They did not christen themselves with that name.

see correction/amendment as non Christians - twinc

Reactions: Helen

buddyt

May 23, 2017
oneonta al. USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word Christian means to Forgive or Pardon. To be a Christian you must Forgive to be Forgiven. A Christian is a Christ Man. Meaning you believe upon Jesus Christ.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The word Christian means to Forgive or Pardon. To be a Christian you must Forgive to be Forgiven. A Christian is a Christ Man. Meaning you believe upon Jesus Christ.
A Christian is literally a follower of Christ.
Like Jesus we are required to forgive those who say they are sorry. We are to to be always willing to forgive, if there is repentance.

Those who say a true Christian will always forgive! Puts a heavy load on already suffering shoulders.

God did not forgive you untill you said sorry. Why should a Christian do more than God.
Like Jesus we should hand the unrepeantant over to God , asking him to forgive them and also deal with any bitterness we still hold.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
A Christian is literally a follower of Christ.
Like Jesus we are required to forgive those who say they are sorry. We are to to be always willing to forgive, if there is repentance.

Those who say a true Christian will always forgive! Puts a heavy load on already suffering shoulders.

God did not forgive you untill you said sorry. Why should a Christian do more than God.
Like Jesus we should hand the unrepeantant over to God , asking him to forgive them and also deal with any bitterness we still hold.

the point I am trying to make is being missed is that all Christians were non Christian before they were born again as Christians - twinc

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
the point I am trying to make is being missed is that all Christians were non Christian before they were born again as Christians - twinc

The point is realy irrelevant twinc. As there are only two groups of people in the world, saved or unsaved.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

True twinc. No argument with that. :)
Before we were Christians we were non-Christians or seekers.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And do any Christians ever take time out from God and act like devils?

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-
Webster's defines a Christian as somebody who professes belief in the
teachings of Jesus Christ.

According to that definition; it isn't necessary to actually believe in Christ's
teachings in order to qualify as a Christian; it's only necessary to say you do.

People don't even have to know what Christ's teachings are; they only have
to say they believe in them.

Nor is it necessary to put Christ's teachings into practice in order to qualify
as a Christian; it's only necessary to say you believe in them.

As far as I'm concerned; Webster's definition silences all the quarrelling
amongst Christians as to who really is one.

/

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
the saved are Christians and the unsaved are devils imho - twinc

No the unsaved are that, 'unsaved', there behaviour may decend to that of the lowest devil, but remember the devils best agents are the respectable material sucessful who show they have no need of God.

Reactions: pastor marty

pastor marty

Aug 19, 2017
Battle Creek,Michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And what is an infidel, a pagan or an atheist... so that we better understand from where the Christians are coming? In other words what were they and what are they now?
If I take the gun U tried 2 rob me with/only shoot out yer kneecap & call 911 for U/I'm a Christian--If I give U a 3rd. allseeing Hindoo eye & render U roadkill;I'm a pagan !****CLEAR??****<m>********

Reactions: amadeus

pastor marty

Aug 19, 2017
Battle Creek,Michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-
Webster's defines a Christian as somebody who professes belief in the
teachings of Jesus Christ.

According to that definition; it isn't necessary to actually believe in Christ's
teachings in order to qualify as a Christian; it's only necessary to say you do.

People don't even have to know what Christ's teachings are; they only have
to say they believe in them.

Nor is it necessary to put Christ's teachings into practice in order to qualify
as a Christian; it's only necessary to say you believe in them.

As far as I'm concerned; Webster's definition silences all the quarrelling
amongst Christians as to who really is one.

/
***Not ness.2 practice HIS teachings?*****Thats as dumb as sayin' yer in the NFL & never played football !!! Funk&Wagnalls :dictionairy 4 "Wuzdat U said ? *************<m>*************