Who shall separate us from the love of Christ (Romans 8:35)?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Friends of Jesus

Nov 25, 2021
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

In Romans 1—8 Paul lays out God’s plan for how people can become righteous. Paul’s explanation culminates in Romans 8:35 with the question, “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?” In Romans 1:1—3:20 Paul makes the case for the universal need for God’s righteousness as revealed in the gospel of Jesus Christ. All of humanity is unrighteous and in need of salvation. No matter one’s ethnicity or heritage, all are in sin and have fallen short of God’s glory (Romans 3:23), and the wages of that sin is death (Romans 6:23) or separation from God.

Before Paul asks the question of who shall separate us from the love of Christ (Romans 8:35), Paul explains that the universal human problem is that all are already separated from God. He explains elsewhere that we are by nature children of wrath (Ephesians 2:3). But Paul announces that the good news about Jesus Christ—the gospel—is God’s way to save all those who believe in Jesus (Romans 1:17). Paul explains how all have become unrighteous through Adam (Romans 5:12–21), and he provides hope in Romans 3:21—4:25, recounting how God made a way for all to be righteous in His sight be believing in Jesus. By faith and not by works God provides justification (or the declaration of righteousness) for all who believe in Him (Romans 3:28). God’s grace has always been applied to human need by faith in Him, and Paul illustrates this by referring to Abraham, who was also justified by faith in the Lord (Genesis 15:6; Romans 4).

Paul explains further in Romans 5—8 that this provision of grace through faith has tremendous implications for those who believe in Jesus, and that God’s grace is an expression of God’s love. God demonstrated His love for us even while we were in sin—Christ died for us (Romans 5:8). Now that we have believed in Christ, we are connected to His love in a way we never were before.

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? In Romans 5 Paul discusses how we came to be separated from God in the first place—because of Adam’s sin, all who are descended from Adam are under the curse of sin. Adam was created in the image of God, but when Adam sinned, something was added to his nature. When Adam had children, they were now in Adam’s likeness, not just God’s (Genesis 5:3). Even though humanity would still have the image of God (Genesis 9:6), people would also have a sinful nature and be separated from God. Through Adam sin entered the world and made us all sinners (Romans 5:12), but through Christ we have the gift of righteousness (Romans 5:17).

If God loves us this much, and we receive His expression of love in grace through faith, then who shall separate us from the love of Christ? This is exactly the question that Paul asks and answers at the end of Romans 8. In Romans 6 Paul shows that we are no longer in bondage to sin—we have new natures, and we are dead to sin but alive in Christ (Romans 6:11). Because we have new life, we should behave like we have new life (Romans 6:12). Despite the new expectation, Paul understands that we still also have the old nature—the flesh (Romans 7:18). There is an ongoing conflict in the believer between the new nature, which is pursuing the good, and the old nature, which is pursuing sin (Romans 7:19–25).

Ultimately, Christ sets us free from the old nature (Romans 7:24–25), yet we can still set our minds on this old way of life and fail in our walk. Paul urges believers not to live this way—we have been set free and should not again allow ourselves to be in bondage. But because we do sometimes, we may lose our confidence that God has delivered us. Because of this tendency to doubt, Paul affirms that we can know we are in Christ because His Spirit is in us (Romans 8:9–11). This assurance of our salvation is not from our works but from the Holy Spirit testifying that we are His (Romans 8:16). God’s purpose in our lives is guaranteed (Romans 8:28–31). What God has promised, He will fulfill.

It is in this context that Paul asks, “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?”—the answer is that nothing at all can separate us from His love. After an extensive list of things that cannot separate us from His love (Romans 8:35–39), Paul adds that “no other created thing” can separate us from the love of Christ (Romans 8:39). It is important to realize that we are created things and that even we cannot separate ourselves from the love of Christ. We didn’t deserve to receive the love of Christ in the first place, and we don’t deserve to keep it. He gave us His love by grace through faith, and nothing can separate us from the love of Christ.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In Romans 1—8 Paul lays out God’s plan for how people can become righteous. Paul’s explanation culminates in Romans 8:35 with the question, “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?” In Romans 1:1—3:20 Paul makes the case for the universal need for God’s righteousness as revealed in the gospel of Jesus Christ. All of humanity is unrighteous and in need of salvation. No matter one’s ethnicity or heritage, all are in sin and have fallen short of God’s glory (Romans 3:23), and the wages of that sin is death (Romans 6:23) or separation from God.

Before Paul asks the question of who shall separate us from the love of Christ (Romans 8:35), Paul explains that the universal human problem is that all are already separated from God. He explains elsewhere that we are by nature children of wrath (Ephesians 2:3). But Paul announces that the good news about Jesus Christ—the gospel—is God’s way to save all those who believe in Jesus (Romans 1:17). Paul explains how all have become unrighteous through Adam (Romans 5:12–21), and he provides hope in Romans 3:21—4:25, recounting how God made a way for all to be righteous in His sight be believing in Jesus. By faith and not by works God provides justification (or the declaration of righteousness) for all who believe in Him (Romans 3:28). God’s grace has always been applied to human need by faith in Him, and Paul illustrates this by referring to Abraham, who was also justified by faith in the Lord (Genesis 15:6; Romans 4).

Paul explains further in Romans 5—8 that this provision of grace through faith has tremendous implications for those who believe in Jesus, and that God’s grace is an expression of God’s love. God demonstrated His love for us even while we were in sin—Christ died for us (Romans 5:8). Now that we have believed in Christ, we are connected to His love in a way we never were before.

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? In Romans 5 Paul discusses how we came to be separated from God in the first place—because of Adam’s sin, all who are descended from Adam are under the curse of sin. Adam was created in the image of God, but when Adam sinned, something was added to his nature. When Adam had children, they were now in Adam’s likeness, not just God’s (Genesis 5:3). Even though humanity would still have the image of God (Genesis 9:6), people would also have a sinful nature and be separated from God. Through Adam sin entered the world and made us all sinners (Romans 5:12), but through Christ we have the gift of righteousness (Romans 5:17).

If God loves us this much, and we receive His expression of love in grace through faith, then who shall separate us from the love of Christ? This is exactly the question that Paul asks and answers at the end of Romans 8. In Romans 6 Paul shows that we are no longer in bondage to sin—we have new natures, and we are dead to sin but alive in Christ (Romans 6:11). Because we have new life, we should behave like we have new life (Romans 6:12). Despite the new expectation, Paul understands that we still also have the old nature—the flesh (Romans 7:18). There is an ongoing conflict in the believer between the new nature, which is pursuing the good, and the old nature, which is pursuing sin (Romans 7:19–25).

Ultimately, Christ sets us free from the old nature (Romans 7:24–25), yet we can still set our minds on this old way of life and fail in our walk. Paul urges believers not to live this way—we have been set free and should not again allow ourselves to be in bondage. But because we do sometimes, we may lose our confidence that God has delivered us. Because of this tendency to doubt, Paul affirms that we can know we are in Christ because His Spirit is in us (Romans 8:9–11). This assurance of our salvation is not from our works but from the Holy Spirit testifying that we are His (Romans 8:16). God’s purpose in our lives is guaranteed (Romans 8:28–31). What God has promised, He will fulfill.

It is in this context that Paul asks, “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?”—the answer is that nothing at all can separate us from His love. After an extensive list of things that cannot separate us from His love (Romans 8:35–39), Paul adds that “no other created thing” can separate us from the love of Christ (Romans 8:39). It is important to realize that we are created things and that even we cannot separate ourselves from the love of Christ. We didn’t deserve to receive the love of Christ in the first place, and we don’t deserve to keep it. He gave us His love by grace through faith, and nothing can separate us from the love of Christ.
There is only one thing i would add to this .
Its true that folks can FEEL that due to sin and error it might be too late . But its also true that many use this
as an excuse to live in sin and feel saved .
both mindsets are failure . The thing is if a lamb sins , It better know to repent and it better KNOW that sin is deadly and dangerous
and it sure can harden a heart . BUT i would say to any in error the simple solution is , CEASE THE ERROR .
You dont have to be a slave to it . And also if you continue in it , YOU RISK FALLING AWAY . AND THAT IS A FACT
no matter who disagrees with me . ANYONE who is in error has or could repent and had better repent .
SIN WILL HARDEN THE HEART . That is a fact . SO we had better see sin as deadly . Just like the early church did .
I also say to those who have been trapped in a sin , CHOOSE YE THIS DAY WHOM YE GONNA SERVE .
Will it be sin that leads to death , OR JESUS . WILL YOU SUBMIT TO GOD TODAY , AND RESIST THE DEVIL
and watch HIM FLEE or will your end be death . SIN is deadly . GOD KNOWS THIS .
AND FROM HIS LOVE HE WARNS US , GO and SIN NO MORE .
WE DONT KNOW IT ALL . most folks grabble and fight and argue over WHY DID GOD DO THIS
why did GOD allow adam to do this or that . WELL GOD IS GOD . HE desires we love HIM .
HE gave us A CHOICE . AND I CHOOSE JESUS who is able to DELIVER ME from the power of sin , of satan and of death .
GOD LOVES us so much , HE SENT CHRIST so we had a way out . But if our jesus aint THE JESUS of the bible
WE HAVE NO WAY OUT . I say LET GOD BE GOD . HE created us , HE DOES AS HE SEES FIT
AND HE DID SEND CHRIST for US . I thank GOD for HIS MERCY . IF one does err , let those who love them correct them
and let those who hate them say all is well and hug them to certain death by accepting their sin .
IF we say things as does a child , and a mean a simple child of GOD , things would be so much simplier .
WHEN my own Daddy told me not to do , I KNEW i better not do , WELL HOW MUCH MORE WHEN GOD SAYS TO DO and NOT TO DO .
HE give us a choice , and my CHOICE IS JESUS . IN HE and in HIM alone i will be kept safe . Our flesh is a monster
and it will never cease to be tempt us by the temptor . BUT I CHOOSE JESUS , CHOOSE YE THE SPIRIT
CHOOSE YE LIFE . And stop heeding men who make excuse for sin or downplay the dangers of said sin
or worse who justify sin .

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Only one person that can separate you from the love of Christ, only one, yourself.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Self-righteousness!

It is not actually possible to be self-righteous:

Only to have an attitude or outlook that is self-righteous:

By nature we possess nothing of goodness, cannot even formulate one good thought:

All we have that is our own is sin and its consequences:

So we MUST have help from God in a million different ways to be good and holy:

We need God to give us grace, virtues, strength, and all our needs!

We need God to give us faith:
We need God to give us hope:
We need God to give us charity:
We need God to give us grace:
We need God to give us strength:

And so ALL honour, glory, and thanksgiving MUST be into God!

Scripture:

1 cor 4:7
For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

2 Corinthians 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Galatians 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

We must be united with Christ the only mediator of the only covenant in grace thru faith & baptism: Heb 3:14 partakers with Christ!

Mk 16:16 Jn 3:5 acts 2:38-39 acts 8:36-38 1 cor 12:13 gal 3:27 Titus 3:5
1 Peter 3:20-21

Grace enables us to be holy, pure, and righteous:

We must surrender our free will to conform to God’s will, deny ourselves and take up our cross and follow Him:

Luke 9:23
And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

Matthew 7:14
Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

2 Timothy 2:19
Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity!

Matt 13:41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

42 And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

43 Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

All good must be obtained from God:

Matthew 7:7
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

Apart from Christ we can do nothing:

Jn 15:5
apart from me you can do nothing:

United to Christ thru grace we can do good and become holy, pure, & sanctified, and our faith, works, (virtue, fasts, alms, prayer) are meritorious and we receive reward for them:

Matt 6:20
build up for yourselves treasure in heaven.

Matt 6:33
seek yes first the kingdom of God and his righteousness.

Romans 2:6
Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

Matt 25:46
And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

We must suffer with Christ:

Luke 24:26
Ought not Christ to have suffered these things, and to enter into his glory?

John 15:20
Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

Colossians 1:24
Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ (our participation) in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

Matthew 10:38
And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Matthew 16:24
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Matthew 16:25
For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

Matt 24:13 he who endures unto the end shall be saved.

Matthew 7:19-23 “Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them. Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'”

Matthew 10:22 “All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.”

Matthew 24:9-13 “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.”

John 12:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;

Romans 5:4
And patience, experience; and experience, hope:

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

1 Corinthians 9:27 “No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.”

2 Corinthians 12:9
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

2 Thessalonians 1:5
Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:

Colossians 1:11
Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power, unto all patience and longsuffering with joyfulness;

2 Tim 2:3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Phil 1:29
For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

James 1:2-8
My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing

Hebrews 6:12
That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

Hebrews 10:36
For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

Hebrews 12:4
Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

1 Peter 2:20
For what glory is it, if, when ye be buffeted for your faults, ye shall take it patiently? but if, when ye do well, and suffer for it, ye take it patiently, this is acceptable with God.

Romans 8:17
And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

2 Timothy 2:12
If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:

Self-righteous is only an accusation by those who accuse Christians of earning salvation against those who obey and are faithful!

We must avoid the near occasions of sin:

Examples:

If you ask for the grace to be sober and not a drunkard, but go to the bar everyday after work you are not being faithful. Or if you ask the grace to be pure, you must have custody of the eyes and not look upon every woman you pass with lust.

This is not earning salvation but being faithful, worthy of the grace of God!

We must ask the grace of daily Perseverance in God’s grace and to conform to His will, and to ask daily for final perseverance in God’s grace!

Ask and you shall receive, deliver us oh Lord from all evil!

John 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

1 Corinthians 16:22
If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema

We must choose to love God!

My God I believe, adore, hope, & love Thee, I ask pardon for those who do not believe, adore, hope, & love Thee!

All honour, glory, and thanksgiving to God for His infinite goodness unto man!

Praise to the divine heart of Jesus, that wrought our salvation!

Blessed be God!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He would be married if he had a uniform!

she’s counted for now, gonna marry the taxidermist what sewed up her head!

Reactions: Ernest T. Bass