Who Was Mother Teresa ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
passionate about sharing the gospel of love through service

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Mother Teresa was ____________

somebody I never felt comfortable about. The bible says 'woe unto you when all men speak well about you'. And there she was on the cover of Time magazine or something, with the world singing her praises. And then came the revelation of her writings after her death, and ... well.. it was very strange. Not judging her because I don't know, but it all seems rather odd.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Mother Theresa was a woman who made a name for herself by doing good works. My hope is that she did them from a heart saved by Grace. Her memoir seems to indicate otherwise, but I am hoping that is just an honest expression of a crisis of faith she may have experienced, but it is not known.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doubt is a very important part of our faith. St. Thérèse of Lisieux is a Doctor (theology) in the RCC - she doubted God for many years and still remained faithful. The answer to doubt is obedience not repression of the thoughts and feelings. We should not be ashamed of our doubt, but confront it instead.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Doubt is lack of faith and trust. I want nothing to do with doubt. God tells us not to doubt.

True faith has doubt in it. Just like true courage has fear in it. Otherwise we are just crazy and opinionated. If you found yourself to be walking on water...would that be no big deal to you?

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
True faith has doubt in it. Just like true courage has fear in it. Otherwise we are just crazy and opinionated. If you found yourself to be walking on water...would that be no big deal to you?

True faith has no doubt or fear in it.

1 Timothy 2:8
[ Men and Women in the Church ] I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting;

James 1:6
But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doubt is uncomfortable and can lead to despair, but under the guidance of the HS, it can lead to spectacular spiritual growth. Jesus doubted (Father why have you forsaken me?) on the Cross and He was totally in the Father and the Father was in Him. Doubt is not sin.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Doubt is uncomfortable and can lead to despair, but under the guidance of the HS, it can lead to spectacular spiritual growth. Jesus doubted (Father why have you forsaken me?) on the Cross and He was totally in the Father and the Father was in Him. Doubt is not sin.

Doubt is sin. Jesus never sinned.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I guess we need to agree to disagree.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Doubt is not sin.

Hast thou faith? have [it] to thyself before God. Happy [is] he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because [he eateth] not of faith: for whatsoever [is] not of faith is sin. Romans 14:22-23

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Faith unites us to God, and doubt separates, working against faith. It isn't the truth to say that no one has never doubted, but we need to deal with it and not allow us to retain it and/or act on it.

James 1:2-8 (PHILLIPS)

[sup]2-8[/sup] When all kinds of trials and temptations crowd into your lives my brothers, don’t resent them as intruders, but welcome them as friends! Realise that they come to test your faith and to produce in you the quality of endurance. But let the process go on until that endurance is fully developed, and you will find you have become men of mature character with the right sort of independence. And if, in the process, any of you does not know how to meet any particular problem he has only to ask God—who gives generously to all men without making them feel foolish or guilty—and he may be quite sure that the necessary wisdom will be given him. But he must ask in sincere faith without secret doubts as to whether he really wants God’s help or not. The man who trusts God, but with inward reservations, is like a wave of the sea, carried forward by the wind one moment and driven back the next. That sort of man cannot hope to receive anything from God, and the life of a man of divided loyalty will reveal instability at every turn.

Reactions: Redeemed86

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tend to think of doubt as similar to noticing a pretty face walking by - despair or taking the 2nd look is the sin.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Mother Teresa was ____________

The most inspiring and dedicated woman of God I know. I have no doubts about her salvation, I only just wished that she would not have taken the vow of poverty. It would have made her life so much easier as a servant. I can recall a story where she was blessed with a washing machine for one of her refuges in India. Instead, she chose not to accept that gift and continued to wash clothes and scrub floors by hand... :unsure:

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IMHO
Mother Teresa was a humble servant of the Most High God. May her confessions of honesty embolden those who have strong faith and and give abundant light to those who are in need of that strength. In the love of Christ, by Jesus' Name. Amen.

She had an obvious life of tremendous works, so the evil one attacked at the only other avenue he had, her faith. The fact she continued her life in her calling proves to me she did have faith, a faith that was not in vein. What she claims was a mask, I see as endurance. The darkness that chased her, is the same darkness that never overcame her, for she is an overcomer in Christ. I thank God for the darkness she saw, which contained her humility. Our God is Great, and His Love endures forever.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow! Angelina and Justaname - your posts are stirring!

THE Gypsy

Jul 27, 2011
Earth
Mother Teresa is a complicated subject. While she is indeed noted for her "good works" there is something unacceptable about refusing medication that would relieve suffering to people who are in excruciating pain...All under the guise of "suffering would bring people closer to Jesus". Also the reuse of needles on terminally ill patients is well documented. Many of her "staff" were untrained in modern medicine (Which she discouraged such training based on her flawed logic that "God empowers the weak and ignorant") and would not make the distinction between those patients that could survive and those that couldn't. Therefore many died needlessly.

Colette Livermore, who worked under her, left because of her "theology of suffering". She gave several examples including the refusal to help the needy if they came at the wrong time as laid out by her schedule.

Like I said...Complicated.