Who's on first?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Mark 10:44
"44and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all"

What does this New Testament passage invoke emotionally when you read it?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@I.O.U
Perhaps this:

"Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.
Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others." Phil 2:3-4

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"44and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all"

What does this New Testament passage invoke emotionally when you read it?

This verse does not produce necessarily an emotional response for me. It does however make it clear as a sober reminder, that whoever desires to be the leader of a group much is required of him/her, and not necessarily as the world considers worthy or important characteristics of a leader.

It reminds me that to become a true leader of a group that our Father desires, demands the greatest sacrifice of self, being selfless to the needs of others. To attain and maintain a deep sense of humility and servanthood in mind and heart. The 'first' serves the group over his/her needs.

They come first and you become last. They become to most significance and you become the least - the most insignificant. As Christ did for us and for his Father's wish.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
@I.O.U
Perhaps this:

"Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.
Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others." Phil 2:3-4
Yep.

Reactions: amadeus

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
This verse does not produce necessarily an emotional response for me. It does however make it clear as a sober reminder, that whoever desires to be the leader of a group much is required of him/her, and not necessarily as the world considers worthy or important characteristics of a leader.

It reminds me that to become a true leader of a group that our Father desires, demands the greatest sacrifice of self, being selfless to the needs of others. To attain and maintain a deep sense of humility and servanthood in mind and heart. The 'first' serves the group over his/her needs.

They come first and you become last. They become to most significance and you become the least - the most insignificant. As Christ did for us and for his Father's wish.
Do you know I am responding to this forum while living outside on the streets. It's been 1 year and 6 months top side, and in the last few months I have created the phrase (The Wilds) when people ask me where I live. Everyone I have ever met in relation to my situation believes it is some bad thing. Oh how mortified they all are, especially the Christian's who never open their hearts enough to go the extra mile. But they are all wrong, the streets are not a curse, it's the public attitude about serving others that's a curse. Oh so long as I have money, then they will serve me (Half heartedly)
But when I don't have any money, I must put in exceptional foot work and time for these charity organisations to feel good about what they have been taking for granted for far too long.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I enjoy hashing out my feelings and experiences online. Shortly after I wrote my last post, I thought of a new phrase about being street bound.

"It's not the streets that are mean, it's mean people who make it that way."

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you know I am responding to this forum while living outside on the streets. It's been 1 year and 6 months top side, and in the last few months I have created the phrase (The Wilds) when people ask me where I live. Everyone I have ever met in relation to my situation believes it is some bad thing. Oh how mortified they all are, especially the Christian's who never open their hearts enough to go the extra mile. But they are all wrong, the streets are not a curse, it's the public attitude about serving others that's a curse. Oh so long as I have money, then they will serve me (Half heartedly)
But when I don't have any money, I must put in exceptional foot work and time for these charity organisations to feel good about what they have been taking for granted for far too long.
You have a great attitude and outlook in life. You are living in the moment and serving God in the process. It must be rewarding? You will be rewarded for these selfless acts toward folks that have much less. We need more people like you. Can you imagine if there were 10s of you just in where you live in the Wilds? What a difference it would make.

Bless you mate

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I enjoy hashing out my feelings and experiences online. Shortly after I wrote my last post, I thought of a new phrase about being street bound.

"It's not the streets that are mean, it's mean people who make it that way."
I am always reminded of what Gandhi, a non-Christian said in this regard:

"I love your Christ but I hate your Christians because your Christians are unlike your Christ."

My own experience has very often been the same. But not always...

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
You have a great attitude and outlook in life. You are living in the moment and serving God in the process. It must be rewarding? You will be rewarded for these selfless acts toward folks that have much less. We need more people like you. Can you imagine if there were 10s of you just in where you live in the Wilds? What a difference it would make.

Bless you mate
I don't see that in myself as you do. Yeah, I guess.

Reactions: APAK

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I am always reminded of what Gandhi, a non-Christian said in this regard:

"I love your Christ but I hate your Christians because your Christians are unlike your Christ."

My own experience has very often been the same. But not always...
It is scary to hear a Christian use a quote from a Guru who'd by all right's be in hell.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is scary to hear a Christian use a quote from a Guru who'd by all right's be in hell.
Why scary?
Don't you believe that unbelievers can sometimes say things which are correct? What Gandhi said supports what I myself have observed as the situation for many people bearing the label of Christian. Are all the people who bear that label, Christian that is, always behaving just as Jesus himself would behave?

Reactions: APAK

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Why scary?
Don't you believe that unbelievers can sometimes say things which are correct? What Gandhi said supports what I myself have observed as the situation for many people bearing the label of Christian. Are all the people who bear that label, Christian that is, always behaving just as Jesus himself would behave?
I didn't think that Gandhi was making a faulty observation. Although there is a comparable Bible verse that says the same thing.

Romans 2:24

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"44and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all" What does this New Testament passage invoke emotionally when you read it?
"Servant" is more appropriate as seen in the KJV and within the general context of Christ's teachings. But all the modern versions have slavishly enslaved themselves to the word "slave", which is ridiculous and stupid (even though the Greek word δοῦλος -- doulos -- can be translated either way).

IOW the highest calling of a Christian is unselfish service to others in this life. And in the life to come Christ will elevate that person to a position of high authority. We see this in the example of the apostles, all of whom were martyred. In the eternal Kingdom of God they will sit on twelve thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't think that Gandhi was making a faulty observation. Although there is a comparable Bible verse that says the same thing.

Romans 2:24
"For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written." Rom 2:24

I have seen and/or talked to people who have left the Church and God as they say because of the negative witness of others supposedly in the Church. We can and sometimes certainly should leave a physical church but Not God. People are foolish often, but God never is.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
"For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written." Rom 2:24

I have seen and/or talked to people who have left the Church and God as they say because of the negative witness of others supposedly in the Church. We can and sometimes certainly should leave a physical church but Not God. People are foolish often, but God never is.
Then why does God use a human being as his medium for delivery of his message?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then why does God use a human being as his medium for delivery of his message?
Who wrote all of the written Bible as inspired by God to do so? Is it not a Book full of God's message or messages to man? Why is man the way that he is? Why did God make man with the ability to sin? And so forth...?

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Who wrote all of the written Bible as inspired by God to do so? Is it not a Book full of God's message or messages to man? Why is man the way that he is? Why did God make man with the ability to sin? And so forth...?
No. Just why did God use man himself to spread his message? Considering that God knows that the human heart is wicked and beyond repair.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. Just why did God use man himself to spread his message? Considering that God knows that the human heart is wicked and beyond repair.
God has always had a plan which included the whole picture regarding men. Even Apostle Paul who saw much of it still included himself in the seeing as through a glass darkly [I Cor 13:12]. Any sincere believer in God and His Son has a vision, but likely many see as clearly as did Paul. I have a vision myself, but any answer I might give to your question would not mean much to such a skeptic as yourself. My vision is also as through a glass darkly.