Whosoever therefore shall break one of these...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

brakelite

...least commandments, and teach men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:19

A common understanding from the above verse is that those who disobey even the least commandment, and teach others that its okay to do so, are in heaven but on the lower rungs of the heavenly glory ladder. Such an understanding to my mind tends to several consequences. The first, that disobedience to God's commandments, while not perfect, is still acceptable because you are still saved. The second consequence is that such an idea reduces the holiness of God's laws, and thus of God Himself. So how else should we look at this verse?
I would suggest that the person disobeying even the most minor commandment, and teaching others whether by word or example, is not in heaven at all, and those who are in heaven, are calling him least. He is being called least in the kingdom of heaven. Why do I view this in that manner? Because of what Jesus said in the next verse. That no-one would enter the kingdom unless their righteousness exceeded that of the Pharisees and scribes. Now the Pharisees and the lawyers taught the law. They taught it must be obeyed. But they themselves did not obey the spirit of that law, although in appearance they obeyed the letter. They will not get to heaven. So is the person who does not obey even minor commandments and teaches others likewise, of greater stature in righteousness than the Pharisee? No, according to Jesus such a one is of even less stature than the Pharisee. He is least.
So when you look in the mirror in the evening, what do you see? Someone who disobeyed one of those least commandments? If so,I would suggest your ultimate destiny rests not on your profession as a Christian, but on your personal response to what you see in the mirror. What would your response be? Are you that person who does not obey the commandment and teaches that its okay because you believe that person will be in heaven anyway? Is that your reading of Matthew 5:19? Or is your response something else? Thoughts?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think you are correct in your deduction....they wont be there at all.
The expression the 'Kingdom of God' I think, has multiple applications eg, sometimes the KoG is within you, sometimes the KoG is like yeast that permeates, sometimes its like small seed. We need to understand each application. I don't think it's accurate to define the expression 'Kingdom of God' as a singular or static understanding.
Being least in the KoG in its context says one is in active rebellion ie, one is faithless in spite of ones profession.

Reactions: brakelite

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...least commandments, and teach men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:19

Or is your response something else? Thoughts?
? Is that your reading of Matthew 5:19? Or is your response something else? Thoughts?

I couldn't agree with you more!!
In Matthew 23:1-4 This is the Last message our Savior puts forth to the Religious Leaders, and the Multitude's and it coincides with His First recorded Words which you state in your OP!
1- Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and His Disciples { including all the religious leaders, on the Temple Mount}!!
2- The Scribes and the Pharisees sit in the seat of Moses, [ claiming to have the Authority of Moses]
3- Therefore whatever they tell you to Observe, " that Observe and DO"! But do not DO according to their works; for they say, and do not do!
4- "For they bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men's shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers!
There are 23 known manuscripts of the book of Matthew, In the Hebrew writing, in two of them in verse 3, it states " Therefore Whatever HE [Moses] tells you to Observe, that Observe and DO!
I have a felling that you are aware of the Oral Torah, and that is what Our Savior is speaking about in Verse 4! Thousands of manmade statutes, ordinances, and commandments.
Which today is Orthodox Judaism. well that is my two cents!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A common understanding from the above verse is that those who disobey even the least commandment, and teach others that its okay to do so, are in heaven but on the lower rungs of the heavenly glory ladder. Such an understanding to my mind tends to several consequences. The first, that disobedience to God's commandments, while not perfect, is still acceptable because you are still saved. The second consequence is that such an idea reduces the holiness of God's laws, and thus of God Himself. So how else should we look at this verse?
I would suggest that the person disobeying even the most minor commandment, and teaching others whether by word or example, is not in heaven at all, and those who are in heaven, are calling him least. He is being called least in the kingdom of heaven. Why do I view this in that manner? Because of what Jesus said in the next verse. That no-one would enter the kingdom unless their righteousness exceeded that of the Pharisees and scribes. Now the Pharisees and the lawyers taught the law. They taught it must be obeyed. But they themselves did not obey the spirit of that law, although in appearance they obeyed the letter. They will not get to heaven. So is the person who does not obey even minor commandments and teaches others likewise, of greater stature in righteousness than the Pharisee? No, according to Jesus such a one is of even less stature than the Pharisee. He is least.
So when you look in the mirror in the evening, what do you see? Someone who disobeyed one of those least commandments? If so,I would suggest your ultimate destiny rests not on your profession as a Christian, but on your personal response to what you see in the mirror. What would your response be? Are you that person who does not obey the commandment and teaches that its okay because you believe that person will be in heaven anyway? Is that your reading of Matthew 5:19? Or is your response something else? Thoughts?

Hey, Brakelite! Peace and blessings to you my brother! How have you been?

About your post, I'm not being a contrarian just to contradict you, but I think the traditional interpretation actually fits better here. In v.11-12 Jesus tells them that they will be blessed if they endure persecution for His sake, for "great will be [their] reward in Heaven." This reward was likely interpreted by them to be rank in the coming kingdom, since they are later found competing with one another over who will be the greatest among them (i.e have the highest rank) in the kingdom of God (Matthew 20:20-28). V.22 also speaks, not of losing salvation, but of placing oneself in danger of the losing it if one's standards and interpretations of scripture become as lax as the Pharisees.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Good heavens, there are a lot of side issues in this post to exound on, but my main thoughts themselves will be long enough, if I fully speak them!

I see the following verses as somewhat companion verses as they are getting to the same point overall:

Galatians 5:3 KJV
For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

James 2:10 KJV
For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

Again, they may not say the same thing exactly, but the point is the same. If you break any point of the law, you are guilty of braking the law, and these two supplemental verses say you are guilty of breaking the whole law. So, if we are to follow the law, we must follow ALL of it.

The problem is, no man has been able to. Romans 3:23 and Acts 15:10 bear that out. Now when you look at the law, it's pretty tough to keep it all! It was hard in the days of the law, and harder now.

Do you realize that wearing polyester would be breaking the law? Or that tangerines or even what we call "corn" is against the law? Of course, we all know that shrimp, catfish and pork are off the table as well! Not to mention the Sabbath day, tithing, graven images, battlements... These are all those "least" parts of the law!

Why, if your wife had her period, you couldn't even touch the sheets of your bed if she sat on them!

These are those "least" laws. I mean, just try to get past the mixed cloth law! I bet you are wearing some blend in at least one article of clothing right now!

I believe Jesus meant what he said, but I believe he was also making a point. His point was that we can't do it.

When Jesus spoke this, the law was still in effect. But he was laying the groundwork for something better. That is, Grace through faith.

B

brakelite

Galatians 5:3 KJV
For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

James 2:10 KJV
For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
Let me quote the above two texts in context.

KJV Galatians 5
14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

KJV James 2
10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
11 For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.
12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

The above texts that you quoted reference different sets of laws. The first from Galatians speaks of circumcision, which was given to Abraham and then subsequently incorporated into the laws given to Moses fire the nation of Israel to follow as a means by which they could be identified as God's people. Along with circumcision there were also the laws pertaining to their religious observations such as feasts and holy days and sacrifices. These things we know are no longer obligatory for the Christian. The second text from James add the context reveals pertains to the ten commandments. We know that the ten commandments do indeed pertain to the Christian for who would date suggest it is no longer against God's commandments to murder, steal, or lie or commit idolatry?
As for all the other laws you referred to, they again were national laws that were applicable only to Israel. Those which were indeed a burden, and which "tended to bondage". We are free from those laws.
Jesus in the sermon on the mount never mentioned the laws which pertained to Israel as a nation which laws are now done away with. Jesus was speaking of laws which would never be fine away with for as long as heaven and earth remain. Laws that pertained to love...mercy...honour...humility...compassion etc. Universal laws that apply equally to every human being on the planet. Laws of true righteousness which we are to hunger and thirst for. It is I believe the least of these that was the topic under discussion which if disobeyed, rendered anyone a sinner and thus worthy of condemnation. The wages of such sin is still death.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We have to be careful with that, we can't go the route of thinking that we are saved by keeping the law.

If being allowed in God's future Kingdom is dependent upon keeping the law, and teaching others to do so, then Christ's Apostles are doomed, simply because of what they commanded that the Gentiles follow in Acts 15:

Acts 15:28-29
28 For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things;
29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
KJV

Now of course Apostle Paul would later teach Gentiles more things to follow from God's laws. But he didn't use that as the means to get into God's Kingdom.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

MAtthew 5:19 is discerned and comprehended through Matthew 5:20. When you can do that, you will sing quite a different tune about verse 19.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
. . . rightly dividing the word of truth . . . is what is needed. To whom did Jesus speak, and what was their covenant with God?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is that your reading of Matthew 5:19? Or is your response something else? Thoughts?
We should never forget that until the crucifixion of Christ, the Law of Moses was binding on Israel (and on Jesus of Nazareth). And that is the context of this verse.

But the Lord presented Christians with the two greatest commandments, and those are the ones incorporated into the Law of Christ.

We should also never forget that after the resurrection and ascension of Christ (and the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem), a large portion of the commandments within the Old Covenant were rendered null and void by God Himself. So context is the key every time we examine Scripture.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We have to be careful with that, we can't go the route of thinking that we are saved by keeping the law.
Why is there such apprehension because God's Commandments are encouraged....what! is it impunity to breaking God's Law that is wanted?....I seem to think that is the case, besides, I do not know any Christian worth his salt who claims the Law will save them.

B

brakelite

we can't go the route of thinking that we are saved by keeping the law.
And no-one is suggesting we do or should. The question we should be asking is ate we saved while practising lawlessness?

B

brakelite

MAtthew 5:19 is discerned and comprehended through Matthew 5:20. When you can do that, you will sing quite a different tune about verse 19.
I mentioned verse 20 in my post and reasoned from that.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I mentioned verse 20 in my post and reasoned from that.
That you did, but you still have neglected to comprehend the depth of it.
Now, to frustrate your thinking all the more, please notice and compare that the least and the great are "in the KoH" together.
Verse 20 plainly tells you how and why!

B

brakelite

Hey, Brakelite! Peace and blessings to you my brother! How have you been?

About your post, I'm not being a contrarian just to contradict you, but I think the traditional interpretation actually fits better here. In v.11-12 Jesus tells them that they will be blessed if they endure persecution for His sake, for "great will be [their] reward in Heaven." This reward was likely interpreted by them to be rank in the coming kingdom, since they are later found competing with one another over who will be the greatest among them (i.e have the highest rank) in the kingdom of God (Matthew 20:20-28). V.22 also speaks, not of losing salvation, but of placing oneself in danger of the losing it if one's standards and interpretations of scripture become as lax as the Pharisees.
I think that if we did not allow our Lord to reform our characters in a manner which exceeds that of the Pharisees by the time of our demise or His coming, then I would hazard the opinion that we are a lot deeper in the poo than just in danger of losing our salvation.
On that other note, I agree that there are degrees of reward for our efforts, but I am not sure how connected with rewards is obedience.

And yes, thanks,I am fine.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I'm not Reformed. The Reformed tend to believe we are under the law.

Hebrews 7.12 says that the law was changed.

Hebrews 7.19 says that what we now have is better than the law.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that if we did not allow our Lord to reform our characters in a manner which exceeds that of the Pharisees by the time of our demise or His coming, then I would hazard the opinion that we are a lot deeper in the poo than just in danger of losing our salvation.

LoL! Yeah, to him who is given much, I guess.

Glad to hear you are doing well! Good to be back around : )

B

brakelite

I'm not Reformed. The Reformed tend to believe we are under the law.

Hebrews 7.12 says that the law was changed.

Hebrews 7.19 says that what we now have is better than the law.
Hi Farouk. If you read the scripture carefully and in context, you would discover that
A. Those that were under the law were those that transgressed it...not those who obeyed it.
KJV Romans 3
19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
B. Jews who were subject to the laws of the temple services...The laws of God, the ten commandments, revealed sin, the laws pertaining to the temple services were created to deal with the sin until Christ came.
C. Although we may not be under the laws of Moses but in Christ, that doesn't absolve us from obedience to the laws of God.
D. The law that was changed was precisely that law which pertained to the laws of Moses...specifically the priesthood...that j Jesus may become High Priest seeing He was not a Levite.
E. Not being under the laws of God means we ate not condemned by them as we ate now new creatures in Christ, Bjorn again from above with new natures imbued with the power to obey. If we disobey we are denying who we are.