Why are our ordained pastors so ignorant of Scripture?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
is it bc we all seek immortality, Death More Abundantly, so single mindedly?
I used to interview pastors, and I found that even among those who had figured it out, to a man they stated that they could never preach it in their "church."

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Immortality is the EXACT OPPOSITE of "death more abundantly". So why would a pastor be ignorant if he failed to teach spiritual nonsense?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Now, that is going to take one heckuva lot more explaining.
Um, roughly half of the pastors I talked to easily admitted that no one goes to heaven, Eternal is not Immortal, etc, even that Bible is not Word. I will confess that maybe 2 of the hundred or so had a plan to eventually bring their congregations to the knowledge, and seemed to be aware of the eventual consequences. This was like 30 years ago though, I imagine things have changed

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we first have to accept that "ordained" also means indoctrinated into a particular system of belief through which the usually fairly young and impressionable man has been both taught and hired as a representative of that particular denomination.

In other words, "You have been hired and are being paid by our money to tell it the way we say it is."

Reactions: Acolyte and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we first have to accept that "ordained" also means indoctrinated into a particular system of belief through which the usually fairly young and impressionable man has been both taught and hired as a representative of that particular denomination.

In other words, "You have been hired and are being paid by our money to tell it the way we say it is."
And then thank God for the exceptions? That is those who refuse to be indoctrinated [brainwashed?]!

Reactions: Acolyte

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And then thank God for the exceptions? That is those who refuse to be indoctrinated [brainwashed?]!
Unfortunately, in the "church system" we have cultivated, a young man cannot feed even himself, let alone a wife and future children unless he accepts selling ,to some degree, to that system.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to interview pastors, and I found that even among those who had figured it out, to a man they stated that they could never preach it in their "church."
I am glad you put 'their "church"' in quotation marks. Should you also have raised a question about what a pastor is these days? Is it the same as a shepherd of sheep? How many shepherd preach to their flock? How many of them are more concerned about keeping "their flock" for themselves than they are with getting God's message out to them?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unfortunately, in the "church system" we have cultivated, a young man cannot feed even himself, let alone a wife and future children unless he accepts selling out to some degree to that system.
What does it means to live by faith in God rather than by faith in men and what men can provide in the way of tithes or offerings or salaries? Do any of them really strive to live according to this?

"... It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." Matt 4:4

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I am glad you put 'their "church"' in quotation marks. Should you also have raised a question about what a pastor is these days? Is it the same as a shepherd of sheep? How many shepherd preach to their flock? How many of them are more concerned about keeping "their flock" for themselves than they are with getting God's message out to them?
Well, I wish I could say that about half did seem genuinely concerned, but then roughly half could not seem to find ten minutes more to even talk to me after I revealed my agenda. I was wearing suits then, drove a nice car, etc. but it was uniformly the more affluent pastors who had no time too

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most Divinity students have a goal in mind of being hired by a church affiliated with the school they attend. Despite any high-sounding ideals, they are pursuing the same strategy any other college student seeks.... making themselves qualified to attain a successful position within a desired organization.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I wish I could say that about half did seem genuinely concerned, but then roughly half could not seem to find ten minutes more to even talk to me after I revealed my agenda. I was wearing suits then, drove a nice car, etc. but it was uniformly the more affluent pastors who had no time too
I have never gone around asking the questions you apparently were asking but I visited many and usually had a better response from the small or "hole in the wall" church groups than from larger "better" organized groups. [This period of visiting ended for me more than 15 years ago.]

In the past few months now being loose from any real connection with one assembly, I have begun visiting places again. Some of them like the idea of getting an old man to attend their services regularly and treated me well. However the number of "hole in the wall" church groups has seemingly diminished from what it once was or perhaps my perspective has changed over the intervening years.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most Divinity students have a goal in mind of being hired by a church affiliated with the school they attend. Despite any high-sounding ideals, they are pursuing the same strategy any other college student seeks.... making themselves qualified to attain a successful position within a desired organization.
How many of them, I wonder, would have a clear and sincere testimony of God calling them to the ministry?

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why are you so ignorant of Scripture? You have to know Scripture first to be able to claim pastors are ignorant of Scripture.

Stranger

Reactions: tzcho2

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Why are you so ignorant of Scripture? You have to know Scripture first to be able to claim pastors are ignorant of Scripture.

Stranger
Oh, I was mostly piqued in the moment I guess, I know better than to go looking for that there anyway. I was reminded last night that 2 in 100 is actually pretty amazing, the ratio should be worse than 2 in a million but it's better?

But since I have your attention you might give me your def of Eternal, if you like :)
have a nice day Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, I was mostly piqued in the moment I guess, I know better than to go looking for that there anyway. I was reminded last night that 2 in 100 is actually pretty amazing, the ratio should be worse than 2 in a million but it's better?

But since I have your attention you might give me your def of Eternal, if you like :)
have a nice day Stranger

Well, how can one as ignorant in, and denying much in the Scriptures as yourself, question the knowledge of others in the Scriptures. You better stick to the koran.

Stranger

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi,

You pose a very good question: Why are our ordained pastors so ignorant of Scripture?

My spouse's father built his own church (literally) and started preaching his version of Scripture. I never met him. He passed before we were married.

At the church my spouse and I used to go to the assistant pastor disagreed with some of the teachings (interpretation of Scripture) of the head pastor. Sooooo the assistant pastor started his own church. Which one was truly ignorant of Scripture? They both accused the other.

Who decides if who is ignorant of Scripture? What criteria is used?

Love the subject.....thank you.

Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Um, roughly half of the pastors I talked to easily admitted that no one goes to heaven, Eternal is not Immortal, etc, even that Bible is not Word. I will confess that maybe 2 of the hundred or so had a plan to eventually bring their congregations to the knowledge, and seemed to be aware of the eventual consequences. This was like 30 years ago though, I imagine things have changed
Why were you interviewing so many pastors?

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Amadeus,

Can a person brainwash themselves into believing they know how to properly interpret Scripture so that they come to the truth of Scripture?

Curious Mary