Why are there so many versions of the Bible?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muslimbr

Dec 27, 2016
Why are there so many versions of the Bible? Catholic version has 73 books and Protestant version has 66 books. Which of these versions is authentic and how?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Apparently we worshi one God just have thousnds of differnet version of His word.which dont all agrre. God must be so confused.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Muslimbr said:
Why are there so many versions of the Bible? Catholic version has 73 books and Protestant version has 66 books. Which of these versions is authentic and how?
the authentic version is the version that the Book was written in, and regardless of whatever version you might have in your hand, a good idea is to have a Lexicon available so you can go read the original in the Lex.

http://biblehub.com/matthew/1.htm

note "Lexicon" button above right? Which gets you to here

http://biblehub.com/lexicon/matthew/1-1.htm

and now you are ready to start referencing the Bible (which is different from just reading It, like a first reading or whatever)

the others are not "inauthentic," but it has to be understood that sometimes words or phrases in one language cannot even directly translate in another; plus, Bible authors used the current vernacular to express concepts, meaning "slang" is used that does not translate well, etc.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I also have a NIV84 Thompson Chain Reference Edition for study. I love this study bible which has helped me over many years :)

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Muslimbr said:
It must seem confusing if you come from a Muslim background, where there is only one official version of the Qur'an.

But the Bible is very different from the Qur'an. The Bible was inspired by God but written by many different human authors over a period of roughly 1500 years. The various books within it were originally all separate but were collected together by general agreement amongst believers (Jewish and Christian) that they were God's inspired word. And although we are all agreed over most of the books included, there are a few dissensions. These are called the "apocrypha". Some people think that these books should be considered part of the Bible, and others don't. Those who do, disagree over which apocryphal books should be included. So Protestant, Catholic and Orthodox bibles are all 'different'.

But when it comes down to what you actually believe and do, it makes very little difference which Bible you use. The Apocrypha is interesting to read, but Protestants don't use it to base doctrine on. There are a few particular Catholic practices that are supported by the Apocrypha but not found in the main part of the Bible. Unless you are intending to become a Catholic, you don't need to worry about them anyway.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the reasons for the multiple translations is that the New Testament was written in Greek, and the Old Testament in Hebrew. The old Catholic version was in Latin (The Roman language). I read out of the King James Version (KJV) and have a Strong's Exhaustive Concordance handy for translations. I do not think that any translation is perfect. There are books that should have made it in the bible but didn't. The Old Testament records books that were written and lost.

And the rest of the acts of Solomon, and all that he did, and his wisdom, are they not written in the book of the acts of Solomon? - 1 Kings 11:41
Now the rest of the acts of Solomon, first and last, are they not written in the book of Nathan the prophet, - 2 Chronicles 9:29
Now the acts of Rehoboam, first and last, are they not written in the book of Shemaiah the prophet, and of Iddo the seer concerning genealogies? - 2 Chronicles 12:15

We have no books called the acts of Solomon, the book of Nathan, Shemaiah, or Iddo the prophets. So their may be as many as 77 books that should have been in the bible. The KJV lists 66, which is what the translators of the time agreed upon as legitimate Word of God.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
well, no where did they call any Bible the Word of God, but whatever :)

you illustrate why the Book cannot be Word, because, as you say, a bunch of guys got together to decide what was what in the Book. Ergo, It is not the Word.
The Word is God, Word = God, which any Book will make plain. So then Book cannot = Word, or else Bible = God. But it's all in There, in any translation.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
well, no where did they call any Bible the Word of God, but whatever :)

you illustrate why the Book cannot be Word, because, as you say, a bunch of guys got together to decide what was what in the Book. Ergo, It is not the Word.
The Word is God, Word = God, which any Book will make plain. So then Book cannot = Word, or else Bible = God. But it's all in There, in any translation.
What a stupid statement. No one said 'the written word is god' but you. You then argue against yourself. Are you on drugs?

Stranger

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Stranger said:
What a stupid statement. No one said 'the written word is god' but you. You then argue against yourself. Are you on drugs?

Stranger
The KJV lists 66, which is what the translators of the time agreed upon as legitimate Word of God.
every time you repeat that "the Bible is the Word," you are saying "the Bible is God," and aside from being upset about this, as you are finding out on that other thread, there is no Scripture that will affirm for you that "God=Word=Bible," because it simply is not true, and keeps one from finding Word to boot. Done for the evening, have a nice weekend :)

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
every time you repeat that "the Bible is the Word," you are saying "the Bible is God," and aside from being upset about this, as you are finding out on that other thread, there is no Scripture that will affirm for you that "God=Word=Bible," because it simply is not true, and keeps one from finding Word to boot. Done for the evening, have a nice weekend :)
No ones has said the Bible is God but you. Thus you are arguing with yourself and lying about what other have said.

Stranger

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Stranger said:
No ones has said the Bible is God but you. Thus you are arguing with yourself and lying about what other have said.

Stranger
This is how you start having dreams of being death personified, ok, when you obviously deny reality. When you call the Bible the Word, you are calling the Bible God whether you want to admit it or not. It doesn't matter if you deny it or not, or call me names or not, none of that will change the truth, Stranger. I understand you are being asked to overcome the premise of a lifetime, and i'm sorry about that, and i forgive you, but there is an end to this ok? For you. And you have to decide what that end is going to look like. And i don't care if you end up deciding that the Bible is the Word, ok? You can believe that all you want, and still be fine, as far as i am concerned.

biotheist

Dec 28, 2016
Muslimbr said:
I'd say that no English translation is 100% true rendering of the Latin, Greek and Hebrew manuscripts.

It's a very complex subject, which I know at the elementary level. But I know enough to know that there are transmission issues when translating from one language to another.

I can't say which english translation is the best one, as they all have there strength and weaknesses.

Nov 3, 2012
Portugal
Faith
Christian
Country
Portugal
biotheist said:
I'd say that no English translation is 100% true rendering of the Latin, Greek and Hebrew manuscripts.

It's a very complex subject, which I know at the elementary level. But I know enough to know that there are transmission issues when translating from one language to another.

I can't say which english translation is the best one, as they all have there strength and weaknesses.
Best post here. I agree with this. The only true Bible is the original greek manuscripts and hebrew manuscripts, the closest we can get is the translation of the faithful copies that survived and we as Christians should be happy with that, because even if one word is translated incorrectly from hebrew to english it's not going to affect the over all message of the Bible : We have sinned, Sin seperates us from God, We need to repent, Jesus offers us reconciliation through his death and ressurection.We believe and we get saved. k thx for reading . God Bless

biotheist

Dec 28, 2016
brokentuningfork said:
Best post here. I agree with this. The only true Bible is the original greek manuscripts and hebrew manuscripts, the closest we can get is the translation of the faithful copies that survived and we as Christians should be happy with that, because even if one word is translated incorrectly from hebrew to english it's not going to affect the over all message of the Bible : We have sinned, Sin seperates us from God, We need to repent, Jesus offers us reconciliation through his death and ressurection.We believe and we get saved. k thx for reading . God Bless
That's why God's spirit for us is so important, it balances out our mistakes. If the personage speaking to your heart is not continually correcting and rebuking you, then what spirit do you have?

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
This is how you start having dreams of being death personified, ok, when you obviously deny reality. When you call the Bible the Word, you are calling the Bible God whether you want to admit it or not. It doesn't matter if you deny it or not, or call me names or not, none of that will change the truth, Stranger. I understand you are being asked to overcome the premise of a lifetime, and i'm sorry about that, and i forgive you, but there is an end to this ok? For you. And you have to decide what that end is going to look like. And i don't care if you end up deciding that the Bible is the Word, ok? You can believe that all you want, and still be fine, as far as i am concerned.
The Bible is the Word of God.

I don't want or need your forgiveness. How stupid.

You are a liar. You say you don't care if I believe the Bible is the Word of God, yet you attack this faith constantly. You are both a liar and a hypocrit.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
biotheist said:
That's why God's spirit for us is so important, it balances out our mistakes. If the personage speaking to your heart is not continually correcting and rebuking you, then what spirit do you have?
What spirit do you have?

Stranger

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
ya well we're gonna hafta measure ya! lol
Stranger said:
The Bible is the Word of God.

I don't want or need your forgiveness. How stupid.

You are a liar. You say you don't care if I believe the Bible is the Word of God, yet you attack this faith constantly. You are both a liar and a hypocrit.

Stranger
Are you scared of the Word, Stranger? Listen to yourself. I come here saying you are the Body and the Kingdom is near you and God is the Word, and you are fine just like you are, and i get this?

No the Bible is not God, ok, and some team of guys cannot pick a Canon and call it Word, because Word = God,
and you are just being silly now. The Book has not changed, It is still there, and you just have something else awaiting you to associate with the term "Word" which has to do with meeting Him in the Air, only God knows the day or the hour, and yes it is like stepping off a cliff but all that root you have doesn't go to waste ok, lol, you are just going to start reading with new eyes, when you grasp that every verse is speaking to some aspect of you, in four faces, and a hand, and the number of a man, which directs the hand, and is 6. And Seven Spirits, Lamps, Churches, and the 8th Day.

lol, you aren't going to hardly pull your nose out of the Book lol look don't get me started unless you wanna read spaghetti like maybe it's Sabbath night and you had a glass of wine, and want a laugh lol just step out onto the air, and leave all that root below you, and find Word, Breath, on your neck, right now, Understand I AM. That 'tomorrow' thing you got? Where Paul is suicidal? That is what Spongebob calls "imagination" ok? Do yourself a favor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3J_h1GrogY

sing it

Status
Not open for further replies.