Why Christianity?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lux Veritatis

Jan 22, 2013
Why Christianity? Why not the Roman Gods? Why not Allah? Why not non-belief? What makes Christianity stand apart from the rest? What makes Christianity more credible than the rest?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Lux!

Welcome to CyB :) glad to have you join us!

Why Christianity? Why not the Roman Gods? Why not Allah? Why not non-belief?
Well If I did not believe or if I had not had a personal encounter with the author of life, I would not be following him today nor would I believe what is written about him. I have not had a personal encounter with any Roman gods or Allah. Being a non-believer is simply out of the question because I know too much...Lol! ;)

What makes Christianity stand apart from the rest?
Christianity does not stand apart...Christianity stands alone.... :huh:. Following Christ is the only way to salvation and eternal life but most of all "Jesus is Alive" We have a living relationship with the Father, the Son and the Spirit, whereas the gods you have mentioned above...are not alive nor do they have power within themselves to be alive...they need Jesus to live!

What makes Christianity more credible than the rest?
As I've mentioned before, the beliefs you have stated above are not even on the same playing field as Christianity. The key is "Salvation" no other belief system on this planet offers freedom from sin and death. This freedom was purchased for all who believe by faith in Jesus our redeemer and the savior of the world... ^_^ :)

Shalom!!!

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Lux Veritatis said:
Why Christianity? Why not the Roman Gods? Why not Allah? Why not non-belief? What makes Christianity stand apart from the rest? What makes Christianity more credible than the rest?
Because in Christianity, God loved us so much that He came down in the form of man and lived among us. He died to save us, and He called us His sons and daughters. The rest of the other gods stayed far away in their heavenly thrones.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christianity - and specifically God through Christ - is unlike all of the other religions of the world in that it's not a matter of what you do but a matter of what God has done. In other words, there's no book of rules to follow to bank up some spiritual savings account for heaven credit. There are no pathways that I must take to follow a specific set of rules that I must pretend to follow. I find that my personal life experience and my intellect lead me to Jesus the Christ. In addition, Christianity has a theocentric focus as opposed to the rigorous anthropocentric faith that the other religions and materialism offer.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Jesus makes Christianity different. Jesus did not come to impose religious laws and rules of bondage on mankind He came to redeem, save and reconcile mankind to God. To allow man to live in complete and true freedom, peace and abundance. Jesus shed His own blood for all of us including yourself because He loves us and you! Jesus came in the likeness of human flesh and dwelt among us to feel our pain, uncertainty, wants, desires, failures and all. every temptation and pain we are faced wwith he faced them as well yet He did not fall or sin. He gave up His life so that we might have life in Him! What other god in others faiths has or would lay down His own life for you or myself? And He was resurrected which gurantees that for the believer death will not hold them and be their final place of rest we shall arise and reign with Christ in the new Jerusalem on the new earth and where the presence of God will eternally dwell among men! Jesus also gave us His Holy Spirit who is a comforter, lover, guider, teacher and giver of fruit and gifts that aids us in this sojourn through life. Jesus came to offer Himself to us at a free price because He paid it all at Calvary. All He askes is that you accept Him as He has accepted you, love Him and others as He loves you, live holy which means consecrated to Him and spread the gospel of freedom to others to give life to them! Jesus is "Why Christianity?".

Words of Encouragement
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him" (John 3:16-17)
"He was wounded for our rebellious acts. He was crushed for our sins. He was punished so that we could have peace, and we received healing from his wounds." (Isaiah 53:5)
"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away. He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true." (Revelation 21:5)

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
Lux Veritatis said:
When Stephen Roberts, an athiest, was talking to a theist about the thousands of gods and goddesses worshiped by humans, he said: "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
because loving outwardly and perfectly is my desire and Jesus laid out the path to perfect love

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Lux Veritatis said:
Roman-gods and allah-gods or no-gods-at-all are for people who do not want anything to do with The God of Israel and His Son.

For the people WHO DO want an association with The God of Israel ... and His Son ... all the information is in the bible.

It is the only "God Book" that stands up to all scrutiny

All the rest are man made gods and carved idols and monkey evolution nonsense.

It's your future Lux Veritatis , so chose carefully ,

Whatever you decide will not affect us , only you.

Take your arguments up with yourself.

We are not your enemy

Best wishes.

Lux Veritatis

Jan 22, 2013
Arnie Manitoba said:
Roman-gods and allah-gods or no-gods-at-all are for people who do not want anything to do with The God of Israel and His Son.

For the people WHO DO want an association with The God of Israel ... and His Son ... all the information is in the bible.

It is the only "God Book" that stands up to all scrutiny

All the rest are man made gods and carved idols and monkey evolution nonsense.

It's your future Lux Veritatis , so chose carefully ,

Whatever you decide will not affect us , only you.

Take your arguments up with yourself.

We are not your enemy

Best wishes.
But how do you know the God of Israel is THE God? How do you know the others are false? Telling me "because the Bible says" means nothing if I don't believe the Bible. Why should I believe the Bible? You understand how that's a circular argument, right? You have not said anything convincing that doesn't require belief beforehand.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Lux Veritatis said:
But how do you know the God of Israel is THE God? How do you know the others are false? Telling me "because the Bible says" means nothing if I don't believe the Bible. Why should I believe the Bible? You understand how that's a circular argument, right? You have not said anything convincing that doesn't require belief beforehand.
I agree that simply saying something in the bible is not enough.

I think a person would have to first test everything in the bible and see if it stands up to all scrutiny.

Many atheists have set out to disprove the bible once and for all ..... I am talking about intelligent educated men ..... and in the end they became believers because there is no way any man or group of men could write such a document and have everything in such harmony.

There is another aspect that is extremely difficult to explain ..... it is the Holy Spirit part of the equation. ..... The bible was written by apostles and prophets who were inspired by the Holy Spirit.

It is like God was the author and the prophets wrote it down. ..... none of that makes sense until you are a Christian believer .... when God sends the Holy Spirit into you and then all of a sudden everything makes sense in the bible.

So the now the problem is i just tried to describe something magical and supernatural but I am not able to prove it to you ..... so I am right where I started ...... just because I have the "magical" Holy Spirit in me does not prove anything for you. ..... like i said it is frustrating.

I am 61 years old , fairly intelligent , very careful and skeptical about everything .... especially religion .... and wanted absolutely nothing to do with it.

At age 38 (1986) I decided to pick up a bible , read it , and decide once and for all if it had any merit. I am an avid reader and figured it should only take me a couple of months.

I couldnt even get through a couple of pages .... nothing made sense .... it was like i could read any book EXCEPT the bible and it pissed me off that I couldnt understand it.

One night I picked it up and said "god help me understand this stupid book" and that is when the Holy Spirit came into me and it was just like a light had been turned on.

That light has increased is the past 25 years and so many supernatural things happen in my life because of it. It would take a whole book to list them and they can all be confirmed and documented.

But because that happened to me .... and I claim it to be true ..... none of it is really evidence for you that it is true. it is like you have to test it yourself.

For your own selfish reasons just ask God to help you understand everything and lead you to the truth. Remain skeptical and be careful .... God likes it when people dont jump into any convenient religion kicking around.

All you have to do is want the truth and he will be with you all the way.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Lux Veritatis said:
Because of the testimony of the martyrs. The fact that they were willing to die for Christ is their testimony. Others did not die for Zeus or Hera or even Odin. But many died for Christ.

Lux Veritatis

Jan 22, 2013
Selene said:
Because of the testimony of the martyrs. The fact that they were willing to die for Christ is their testimony. Others did not die for Zeus or Hera or even Odin. But many died for Christ.
I'm sure many have died for the pagan gods. They were around for quite a long time.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Lux Veritatis said:
I'm sure many have died for the pagan gods. They were around for quite a long time.
There are no historical records of anyone willingly giving up their life for any man-made pagan god. Instead, we have records of human sacrifices made to pagan gods, and these human sacrifices were unwilling victims who were captured from other tribes, chosen ones chosen by lot, or children taken from their parents.

But there are many historical records of martyrs who willingly gave up their life for Christ because they knew Christ was not man-made.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Selene said:
I understand what you are saying but in fairness this does not give Lux Veritatis evidence that Christianity is true.

Many groups have given their lives for religious reasons
Some examples
-Peoples Temple (Jim Jones)
-Heavens gate (San Diego)
-Movement for the restoration of the 10 commandments (Uganda)

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Arnie Manitoba said:
I understand what you are saying but in fairness this does not give Lux Veritatis evidence that Christianity is true.

Many groups have given their lives for religious reasons
Some examples
-Peoples Temple (Jim Jones)
-Heavens gate (San Diego)
-Movement for the restoration of the 10 commandments (Uganda)
How do you compare those with the martyrdom of Christians? The Christian's martyrs did not commit suicide. They were told to give up their faith in Jesus Christ or die. Those of the people's Temple, for example, were not martyrs for the faith. In fact, they were not martyrs at all. Suicide is murder...the murder of oneself. Those who commit suicide are "cults" because they murdered themselves.

Martyrs are not murderers because they did not kill themselves. They were murdered by their persecutors. These Christian martyrs are true testimonies that Christ is real. All they had to do was give up their belief in Christ, and they would live. But they did not give up their belief because they knew that Christ was not a man-made belief. The Apostles (except John) were also martyrs. They knew Christ more because they ate with Him, and they willingly gave up their life because they knew He was God. They were the witnesses of the Resurrection.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Selene said:
How do you compare those with the martyrdom of Christians? The Christian's martyrs did not commit suicide. They were told to give up their faith in Jesus Christ or die. Those of the people's Temple, for example, were not martyrs for the faith. In fact, they were not martyrs at all. Suicide is murder...the murder of oneself. Those who commit suicide are "cults" because they murdered themselves.

Martyrs are not murderers because they did not kill themselves. They were murdered by their persecutors. These Christian martyrs are true testimonies that Christ is real. All they had to do was give up their belief in Christ, and they would live. But they did not give up their belief because they knew that Christ was not a man-made belief. The Apostles (except John) were also martyrs. They knew Christ more because they ate with Him, and they willingly gave up their life because they knew He was God. They were the witnesses of the Resurrection.
Of course I know all that ...... but I still say that for an outsider seeing someone lose there life for Christ means nothing different than anyone else who gives up their life for religion.

In other words if a martyr dies because he believes in Christ it does not prove Christianity is true

Just like if a heavens gate follower was martyred it does not make his religion true either.

Remember that we are trying to answer Lux Veritatis questions ...... If I believe the bible that alone does not prove christianity is true ..... If I am martyred ...... that does not prove Christianity is true ..... all it proves is that I believed it ..... but that does not help Lux Veritatis (as far as the proof he requires)

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lux,
i think there are two issues involed that make it difficult for atheists who limit truth to what can be reasoned or repeatedly experienced.

1. theists use a wider lense to view reality. this is not a case of theists relying on faith and atheists rejecting faith. we all use faith by suspending our skepticism in order to live moment to moment and to learn and incorporate new information. atheists simply apply faith more narrowly, which in a theist's mind appears to exclude a huge part of reality.

2. theists and atheists do not agree on the issue of authority. For theists, it is God; for some theists who mix God up with a book, it's the Bible. For atheists it is human reason.

until both parties can recognize and accept the differences rather than trying to convert one another, polarization of ideas will be the normal.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Arnie Manitoba said:
Of course I know all that ...... but I still say that for an outsider seeing someone lose there life for Christ means nothing different than anyone else who gives up their life for religion.

In other words if a martyr dies because he believes in Christ it does not prove Christianity is true

Just like if a heavens gate follower was martyred it does not make his religion true either.

Remember that we are trying to answer Lux Veritatis questions ...... If I believe the bible that alone does not prove christianity is true ..... If I am martyred ...... that does not prove Christianity is true ..... all it proves is that I believed it ..... but that does not help Lux Veritatis (as far as the proof he requires)
"Heaven gates" were never martyrs. You cannot even call them "martyrs. The term martyr is one who dies due to persecution by others for his or her beliefs, not someone who commits suicide nor someone who dies while trying to kill others for their beliefs (such as the Islamic suicide bombers). An atheist does not look to the Bible for facts because to them the Bible is not facts, but a fairy tale. However, how can one deny historical facts?

It is a historical fact that many Christians became martyrs because they refuse to give up something they actually believe is truth. Why? Because they were witnesses to this truth. What human would sacrifice their own life for a lie or for a religion they already know is man-made? It is a historical fact that there were no pagan martyrs. Where is the historical record showing that pagans were demanded to renounce their belief in Zeus or die? It is also a historical fact that some pagan religions practice human sacrifices. And the victims of these human sacrifices were often captured slaves from other tribes, unwilling victims chosen by lot, and children taken from their parents. The only two religions that have martrydom is Judaism and Christianity.....and both of these religions worship the same God. After all, the first Christians were Jewish.

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
John 14:29 And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe.

Christianity is incredibly consistent. There are no contradicitions. There is proof that we are erring mortals, yet how is the Bible so consistent? How are the themes so completely harmonized together?

There is also prophecy, which seals the deal for a lot of Christians such as myself.

Revelation 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.

When I started my search in Revelation, I can assure you I had no idea it would lead me to where I am today. A different path in life, a different school, a different attitude, a different view.

One thing I look for, is consistency. This is only recent, but it helps understand scripture a lot better. So when I encounter a "contradiction", I know the only contradiction is in my understanding of what scripture is saying. That we must learn, that is something I would like Atheists to learn. The contradiction isn't scripture, the contradiction is their understanding of scripture. Proof? When an atheist brings up a contradiction, and you explain the problem with their understanding. They usually get it after you explain it to be honest. So, it's not like they're bigots, and hateful. They just don't want to be lied to, anymore than we want to be lied to.

I also find it incredible, that once you leave the ranks of Satan, to walk with God, temptation comes at you with an incredible force. Where was that before I was a Christian? Where else is there proof that such a one is attempting to pull me from the ranks of righteousness? In the Roman Gods? In the Quaran? (sp?) Where else is the truth, of neccessary perfection?

Can you get all that from other religions? You may be able to find forms of godliness, but never will it be true godliness. We don't seek just to be "better", we seek to be like Christ. Christ is perfect, we seek to be like Christ. We seek perfection. We seek that love, we seek divine patience, divine love.

Being a Christian is thrilling. It's like an adventure. I've always been one for adventure, my favorite videogames were always those with light vs. darkness, with a sense of adventure to them. I liked Final Fantasy Games, and Super Mario RPG, and Kingdom Hearts, more than anything. The adventure, the battle is what hooked me. And after years of pretending like I was in a battle with light and dark, I finally realized, I am in a battle with darkness.

Luke 18:8 I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

I also find it incredible, that for His coming He predicted so many things would happen at the same time. Increase of Atheists, Homosexuals running rampant, the widespread deaths in the world, and the destruction with earthquakes and wacky weather. That in no way shape or form is it a mistake, nor is it a coincidence. It's irrefutable proof.

It's also great getting to know Jesus, because then you want to become like Him. You want to do the things He did, be a blessing to others, care for them, pray for them, speak wisdom to bring souls to the truth. The world may hate you, but what a joy it is while doing it! :) We can actually look back and say, "I know Christ" :)

Lux Veritatis

Jan 22, 2013
Selene said:
There are no historical records of anyone willingly giving up their life for any man-made pagan god. Instead, we have records of human sacrifices made to pagan gods, and these human sacrifices were unwilling victims who were captured from other tribes, chosen ones chosen by lot, or children taken from their parents.

But there are many historical records of martyrs who willingly gave up their life for Christ because they knew Christ was not man-made.
If you want to talk about historical records, there is very little genuine historical record of Jesus, outside of the Bible (a record which was made by his followers, hardly the most credible.)