Why did God want Adam to remain blind?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

janc3

Sep 5, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Adam was so blind before he ate the fruit that he did not even know he was naked. Only when he ate from the fruit, he got knowledge. It is not bad to get wisdom, for God himself said: "Adam became like one of us", Adam became like God by getting knowledge, so what is so bad about that?
Why didn't God want Adam to understand and know things?
What is also very interesting is that the word wisdom in Hebrew is formed from a word that means "to recognize bad and good", so what Adam got when he ate the fruit was wisdom.
What was the fruit? Was it really a fruit? Was there really a tree, was there really a serpent, or is all this symbolic?

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Adam was so blind before he ate the fruit that he did not even know he was naked. Only when he ate from the fruit, he got knowledge. It is not bad to get wisdom, for God himself said: "Adam became like one of us", Adam became like God by getting knowledge, so what is so bad about that?
What is also very interesting is that the word wisdom in Hebrew is formed from a word that means "to recognize bad and good", so what Adam got when he ate the fruit was wisdom.
What was the fruit? Was it really a fruit? Was there really a tree, was there really a serpent, or is all this symbolic?
Wisdom without love can be a dangerous thing. Remember Solomon and how he went astray? Perhaps God wanted Adam and Eve to unite, to become one, to experience love first.

Yes, wisdom without love is satanic or like the serpent. (Does it remind you of how many politicians can be?) It is okay to be as wise as the serpent, but only if we are also as harmless as the dove.

Matthew 10:16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Adam was so blind before he ate the fruit that he did not even know he was naked.
If indeed he was "so blind" how in the world did he identify all those animals which he named? Do you see how absurd your idea is? As to nakedness, we can leave that for another time.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
im reminded of little kids, who prefer to be naked, v briefly thereafter, when they have eaten the fruit of the tree,
neverminding the "you poked my heart" bit for a minute
which is cute tho lol :)

Last edited:

janc3

Sep 5, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
If indeed he was "so blind" how in the world did he identify all those animals which he named? Do you see how absurd your idea is? As to nakedness, we can leave that for another time.
Yes, this is also an interesting aspect, for although he could not see that he was naked, he could speak and understand.

janc3

Sep 5, 2020
Naples
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
It is also important to note that when Adam realized he was naked, God clothed him. God only clothed him when Adam realized it. But why? Why not before that?
And is nakedness a sin? If so, was it allowed for Adam to sin when he didn't realize it?

Reactions: bbyrd009

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God made adam perfect and good so there was not blind as you assume.

Sin made him aware of his nakedness and shame.

Reactions: Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
It is also important to note that when Adam realized he was naked, God clothed him. God only clothed him when Adam realized it. But why? Why not before that?
And is nakedness a sin? If so, was it allowed for Adam to sin when he didn't realize it?
nakedness is likely an analogy for something we have that little kids dont; often considered as "ego" i guess. Note how little kids are not offended by correction so much, but we are, or at least can be? So then Yah's "clothing" might be the ego, as @aspen has noted
hey aspen, how come i cant pm you, or leave a note on your page, btw?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Adam and Eve made fig leaves to cover their nakedness, and hid from God in the garden. When God found them (not that He did not know where they were) is when He made the 1st animal sacrifice and clothed A. and E. So, they knew they did wrong because they ate of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

It was the realization that they disobeyed God and ate of the "tree" that made them realize their shame...there is nothing wrong with the human body, God created us in His own image.
Their shame showed their sin (disobedience), first "human" sin was committed... hence, we all descend from original sin... :) Just my thoughts..

Reactions: ChristisGod

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
nakedness is likely an analogy for something we have that little kids dont; often considered as "ego" i guess. Note how little kids are not offended by correction so much, but we are, or at least can be? So then Yah's "clothing" might be the ego, as @aspen has noted
hey aspen, how come i cant pm you, or leave a note on your page, btw?

I am not sure Bbyrd why you can't leave a message - I will check it out. I can receive messages from other people.

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Nancy

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do you tell your children to go right on in and inject a drug into their veins? Don't you want them to learn? don't you want them to see and understand?.....of course you don't. You warn them that danger lurks.

Your question is asked from a position of blindness itself otherwise you would see.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi janc3. After reading your OP I am inclined to say why don't you let the Bible be the Bible. By that I mean instead of contemplating your own alternative scenarios to what is written be guided by what the text says.

The fact of the matter is that the first man and woman did something they were forbidden to do.

This act of disobedience immediately produced "experiential knowledge of moral failure", or in other words "the experience of doing something forbidden produced knowledge that something forbidden had been done."

We have the phrase "ignorance is bliss" and it was bliss for Adam and Eve before they gained knowledge of good and evil. We are not told the extent of the knowledge of good and evil that they gained from eating of the TOTKOGAE, but we can be sure it was experiential. They knew they were guilty of disobeying God and were ashamed now that they had lost their covering of innocence and the countdown was on for their bodies to age and die.

A FAQ is "Why was the TOTKOGAE in the Garden of Eden where it was accessible to Adam and Eve?"

I believe its inclusion was integral to God's relationship with Adam and Eve, and by implication with His Creation. Good and evil were of course known to God but since He had previously declared all aspects of His Creation as good this was the only experience He desired for all things to have. Satan of course had other plans. From the beginning of Creation Satan's evil desires meant God was confronted with opposition, and meant His Creation was exposed to the possibility of experiencing the conflict that opposition to Him always brings.

I believe the Tree Of The Knowledge Of Good And Evil refers us to the Omniscience of God and introduces His provision for dealing with all that opposes Him in order to ensure the victory of good over evil.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP, just saw this topic.
Adam was so blind before he ate the fruit that he did not even know he was naked.
"intelligence acquiring knowledge". one might want to look at that topic. anyway, Adam named all the animals, and yet did he know that he was naked? was that in a carnal sense, or Spiritual sense? . and also i would like to point this out. do you who drive a vehicle? if so, do you know the mechanism of your vehicle combustion engine? but you drive it right. so before you put Adam down, give understanding to "intelligence acquiring knowledge".

Genesis 2:15 "And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it."
here are two words to keep in mind when acquiring knowledge, "Dress" and "Keep" as stated in the scriptures here.
DRESS: H5647 עָבַד `abad (aw-ɓad') v.
1. to work (in any sense).
2. (by implication) to serve, till.
3. (causatively) to enslave, etc.
[a primitive root]
KJV: X be, keep in bondage, be bondmen, bond-service, compel, do, dress, ear, execute, + husbandman, keep, labour(-ing man, bring to pass, (cause to, make to) serve(-ing, self), (be, become) servant(-s), do (use) service, till(-er), transgress (from margin), (set a) work, be wrought, worshipper.

and the work here is not nessary manual Labor.

KEEP: H8104 שָׁמַר shamar (shaw-mar') v.
1. (properly) to hedge about (as with thorns), i.e. guard.
2. (generally) to protect, attend to, etc.
[a primitive root]
KJV: beward, be circumspect, take heed (to self), keep(-er, self), mark, look narrowly, observe, preserve, regard, reserve, save (self), sure, (that lay) wait (for), watch(-man).

now the question comes to mind, "what was Adam to "work" at and "Guard" or "Protect" aganist?". remember he had not yet sin, nor had any help, or helper yet. and one other thing, nor was he given "authority" yet either.

NOW TO GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT I AM SAYING ABOUT NONE MANUAL LABOR, scripture, Hosea 10:13 "Ye have plowed wickedness, ye have reaped iniquity; ye have eaten the fruit of lies: because thou didst trust in thy way, in the multitude of thy mighty men." BINGO.

wisdom is very important in acquiring knowledge, but this is all i will say for now.

PICJAG

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For crying out loud janc, obviously the word 'blind' in this context is figurative. For clearly it states that prior to eating the fruit, Eve 'saw' that it was pleasing to the eyes. Adam and Eve had their 5 senses intact from inception, obviously.

Genesis 3:6-6
3:6. When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was desirable to make one wise, she took from its fruit and ate; and she gave also to her husband with her, and he ate.

Like @Giuliano rather 'wisely' stated, the devil knew that knowledge of both good and perverse things, without insight and wisdom, would be the inevitable corruption, and consequent destruction of the recipients. Just like a child in a chocolate factory, or a teenager with an x-rated magazine, they are unaware of the vice and hedonism of indulging, or even participating, in such activities. Ask any addict, glutton or promiscuous person, if they would have engaged in such behaviour, had they known then, what they know now.
Awareness of certain things, without wisdom and maturity, invariably leads to one losing control. Outside of the blatant defiance to God, I believe that this is why the devil enticed Adam & Eve to eat from the tree, ...he knew that as infants, they wouldn't be able to handle such a responsibility of gaining the awareness of such 'metaphysical matters' (powers and dominions on high), and apply the required restraint.

Last edited:

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Haven't you ever thought that The True God didn't design Adam/Mankind to choose what's good or bad themselves? Doesn't it seem more likely that The True God wanted Adam to acknowledge that The True God knows what's in the best interests of what he created? That The True God alone knows what's good/bad for what he created. By Adam refraining from eating from the fruit he would be exercising faith that The True God does indeed know what was good/bad for what he created.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about David "exposing" himself when dancing? Did he know he was letting other people "see his nakedness?"

So what is wrong with being naked? Uh, it may depend on the "eye" of the beholder. I'd say Michal had "the evil eye." She imagined evil where none existed. She, like Adam and Eve, brought a curse down on herself.

2 Samuel 6:20 Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel to day, who uncovered himself to day in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovereth himself!
21 And David said unto Michal, It was before the Lord, which chose me before thy father, and before all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the Lord, over Israel: therefore will I play before the Lord.
22 And I will yet be more vile than thus, and will be base in mine own sight: and of the maidservants which thou hast spoken of, of them shall I be had in honour.
23 Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her death.

Was Noah sinning when he drank his wine and was naked in his tent? Or had he spiritually "returned to Eden" where it was acceptable to be naked? At any rate, Ham "saw" it and went to gossip about it to his two brothers. He brought a curse down on himself too.

We find another passage about Saul which may strike some as very strange.

1 Samuel 19:23 And he went thither to Naioth in Ramah: and the Spirit of God was upon him also, and he went on, and prophesied, until he came to Naioth in Ramah.
24 And he stripped off his clothes also, and prophesied before Samuel in like manner, and lay down naked all that day and all that night. Wherefore they say, Is Saul also among the prophets?

Was that sinful or did Saul temporarily return to Eden where he could be naked and not be ashamed?

I'd say there is nothing wrong with being naked unless you have dirty thoughts about it or are trying to rouse dirty thoughts in other people. Maybe Adam and Eve were wrong then to be ashamed of being naked. There was nothing wrong with it until their minds invented some evil about it. They "saw" evil with their inner eye, imagining evil where none had existed. That meant their "single eye" was seeing both good and evil in their nakedness where really only good existed.

Luke 11:34 The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness.

Now indeed, they had been clothed in light just as the angels are, but that light went out; and when the Divine Light went out, they died spiritually although living on as animals.

Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
The Jews have women light the Sabbath candles since they say light left the world through a woman and must return through a woman. I believe Jesus as the Light came into the world because Mary was pure and willing to have it be so.

Reactions: MattMooradian

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1 Timothy 2:13-14 For Adam was first formed, then Eve. [14] And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

What is ‘deceived’ ?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
What about David "exposing" himself when dancing? Did he know he was letting other people "see his nakedness?"

So what is wrong with being naked? Uh, it may depend on the "eye" of the beholder. I'd say Michal had "the evil eye." She imagined evil where none existed. She, like Adam and Eve, brought a curse down on herself.

2 Samuel 6:20 Then David returned to bless his household. And Michal the daughter of Saul came out to meet David, and said, How glorious was the king of Israel to day, who uncovered himself to day in the eyes of the handmaids of his servants, as one of the vain fellows shamelessly uncovereth himself!
21 And David said unto Michal, It was before the Lord, which chose me before thy father, and before all his house, to appoint me ruler over the people of the Lord, over Israel: therefore will I play before the Lord.
22 And I will yet be more vile than thus, and will be base in mine own sight: and of the maidservants which thou hast spoken of, of them shall I be had in honour.
23 Therefore Michal the daughter of Saul had no child unto the day of her death.

Was Noah sinning when he drank his wine and was naked in his tent? Or had he spiritually "returned to Eden" where it was acceptable to be naked? At any rate, Ham "saw" it and went to gossip about it to his two brothers. He brought a curse down on himself too.

We find another passage about Saul which may strike some as very strange.

1 Samuel 19:23 And he went thither to Naioth in Ramah: and the Spirit of God was upon him also, and he went on, and prophesied, until he came to Naioth in Ramah.
24 And he stripped off his clothes also, and prophesied before Samuel in like manner, and lay down naked all that day and all that night. Wherefore they say, Is Saul also among the prophets?

Was that sinful or did Saul temporarily return to Eden where he could be naked and not be ashamed?

I'd say there is nothing wrong with being naked unless you have dirty thoughts about it or are trying to rouse dirty thoughts in other people. Maybe Adam and Eve were wrong then to be ashamed of being naked. There was nothing wrong with it until their minds invented some evil about it. They "saw" evil with their inner eye, imagining evil where none had existed. That meant their "single eye" was seeing both good and evil in their nakedness where really only good existed.

Luke 11:34 The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness.

Now indeed, they had been clothed in light just as the angels are, but that light went out; and when the Divine Light went out, they died spiritually although living on as animals.

Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
The Jews have women light the Sabbath candles since they say light left the world through a woman and must return through a woman. I believe Jesus as the Light came into the world because Mary was pure and willing to have it be so.
Mary was not sinless. Luke records Mary's words, 'My spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour' - Mary, too, needed the Saviour.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary was not sinless. Luke records Mary's words, 'My spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour' - Mary, too, needed the Saviour.

Luke 2:34-35 And Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mary his mother, Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising again of many in Israel; and for a sign which shall be spoken against; [35] (Yea, a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also,) that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.

it has always stood out what was said to Mary ‘yea, a sword shall pierce through thy own soul also’