1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Why Did Jesus Say We Must Be Born Again?

Discussion in 'NonChristian Help Forum' started by TRU434, Nov 3, 2018.

1. TRU434

TRU434 Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Dave L and Nancy like this.
  2. LoveBeacon

LoveBeacon Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Q- What does it mean to be 'born-again'?
    A- We must believe in Jesus (John 3:16)
    Q- How do we believe in Jesus?
    A- We have faith in Him. (John 6:40)
    Q- How does God know who has faith in Jesus and who doesn't? What does He look for?
    A- Our actions. (John 15:10) (James 2:14-24)
    Q-What action must we do.
    A- We must obey Jesus as our Lord and savior. (Luke 6:46) (Matthew 7:21-25) (Luke 14:33) (Matthew 6:24)
    Q-What does it mean to be 'born-again'?
    A- Anyone who chooses to obey Jesus to the best of their ability is considered born-again.

Simple, eh?

Acolyte likes this.
  3. Episkopos

Episkopos Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    To be able to see and/or perceive the kingdom of God. This speaks of a new birth in the Spirit that prepares us for a higher spiritual race towards the fullness of Christ.

4. Enoch111

Enoch111 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada

Here's the answer as applicable to the unregenerated: ...thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked (Rev 3:17)

WRETCHED = WITHOUT HOPE
    MISERABLE = WITHOUT COMFORT
    POOR = DEVOID OF THE RICHES OF CHRIST
    BLIND = DEVOID OF THE HOLY SPIRIT
    NAKED = DEVOID OF CHRIST'S ROBE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Reggie Belafonte likes this.
  5. Marymog

Marymog Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    You are born again thru water (baptism) and Spirit just like Jesus said. (John 3:5)

Baptism washes away sin, just like scripture says. (Acts 22:16)

That is why we must be born again (baptized), to wash away sin.

Bible study Mary

6. Marymog

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    John 3:16 has NOTHING to do with being born again. It has to do with BELIEVING in Him.

There is only one passage in scripture that talks about being born again or anew or from above; depending on the translation.

We are born again thru water (baptism) and Spirit just like Jesus said. (John 3:5)

Baptism washes away sin, just like scripture says. (Acts 22:16)

That is why we must be born again (baptized), to wash away sin.

Simple, eh????

7. farouk

farouk Well-Known Member

As it happens, I respectfully disagree with everything you say and would refer back to the passages.

8. Marymog

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Who taught you this?

Curious Mary

9. Marymog

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Thank you farouk.

I have no need to refer back to the passages. I follow the 2,000 year teachings of The Church on this matter. From whom did you get your teachings?

Mary

EDIT: Is being born again mentioned somewhere else in scripture?

10. Episkopos

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    Certainly not people. How seriously do you take the words of our Lord when He said..."But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things,"

And John said...the anointing that ye did receive from him, in you it doth remain, and ye have no need that any one may teach you,

11. Marymog

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The question or topic of this thread is: Why Did Jesus Say We Must Be Born Again?

Can you show me in scripture we must be born again "to be able to see and/or perceive the kingdom of God."? I can't find it.

Where in scripture that being "born again" "speaks of a new birth in the Spirit that prepares us for a higher spiritual race towards the fullness of Christ."? I can't find it.

The only passage in scripture, that I can find, that talks about being born again is thru water and Spirit.

Curious Mary

PS....Jesus was speaking DIRECTLY to his Apostles in the John 14:26 passage you referenced. Unfortunately those that are illiterate of how Scripture works thinks He was speaking to them personally. This false belief, which began with the Reformation, has lead to a dozen different interpretations of one passage of scripture. Those dozen people all believe that the Holy Spirit taught them the Truth of that one passage. They all think they are the pillar and foundation of truth.

Scripture says The Church is the pillar and foundation of truth....not you....not me....not Luther or Calvin......The Church. ;)

Mary

12. Episkopos

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    John 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

13. Marymog

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I guess i should have first asked: What do you think He meant by “see” (or the word you added “perceive”)?

Bible study Mary

14. Marymog

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    To bad you couldn’t answer my other questions. I was looking forward to evidence that backed up what you said....:(

Sad Mary

15. Helen

Helen Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    I know your conversation is not with me here...but... :)

The way I see it Mary is that back at the beginning...it says of Adam.. "His eyes were open" and he knew he was naked.
    Adam's eyes which beforehand were spiritual and he saw and knew spiritual things.. " He walked with God in the cool of the evening.."

Then his eyes got open after taking into himself 'the fruit' of the tree.

I believe Adams eyes were CLOSED to the spirit realm...and OPENED to this realm of this fallen realm of ours. Adam could no longer "see" the kingdom.

Once we become God's ..our eyes ( and ears) are open to the things of the Spirit, and we 'see' in the Spirit. We 'see' the beauty of God and His kingdom...and we push forward toward the fullness of it...

My two cents....

Dave L likes this.
  16. Episkopos

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada

A spiritual faculty of seeing can be at many depths...from seeing quite clearly....to a hazed vision....to a strong sense of things as perceived by their presence. Did Stephen not look up and see Jesus clearly seated in heaven?

Helen likes this.
  17. Marymog

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Thank you BG....Happy that you joined. At least you tried to clarify your thoughts on his statement....he didn’t even try.

Just some clarification before we move forward: The conversation was/is about being born again. Are you relating Adams eyes being open as being born again?

Bible study Mary

18. Marymog

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Since I don’t see an answer to my question I will try again:

Just keeping our conversation focused on THAT PASSAGE (John 3:3) what is your interpretation of “see”?

We are not talking about Stephen or hazed vision or a stronge sense of things....Just that word in that passage...

Patient Mary

19. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    In my prayers, study, and research of scripture, I believe that to be born of water and THEN the Spirit is referring to being born of human flesh, from a sac of water-the natural birth.
    Being born of the Spirit, I believe is when one truly dies to self and believes in their hearts that He is the Christ. Water baptism IMHO is the outward symbol of our public confession of Christ as our Lord AND Savior. We go under the water symbolizing the washing away of our sins and come up from the water a new creature in Christ ♥

Waiting on him likes this.
  20. Enoch111

Enoch111 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    That's strange since it is clearly spelled out in Jonh 3:3-5.

3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Since the Kingdom of God is spiritual it must be revealed by the Holy Spirit to the quickened spirit of the regenerated person. The one who has not been born again is spiritually blind and deaf.

Nancy and Waiting on him like this.