Why did Jesus say you must become like a little child?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“And said, verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.”

As a child, I grew up hearing countless explanations to what Jesus meant when He said, “become as little children”. I was taught this was an achievable task by something of my own doing. Hold on to your youth with all your might! As an adult, I will admit, I have stared into a face of a child and carried with me this same mindset that it is something within the nature of small children that inherits the kingdom of God. I would study that nature of seemly goodness attempting to grasp what it was a child possessed. While there is much to be said for the trust and faith of a child, it is not necessarily the qualities of a child Jesus was referring to, but rather a new birth.

“Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit
.”

To inherit the kingdom, we must become as a little child. We must be born again. It is not in how we act, carrying a presence of some of the admirable qualities of a child. It is not some quality we possess that causes us to be born again, but by the Spirit. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh...

(Matthew 21) “And when the chief priests and scribes saw the wonderful things that he did, and the children crying in the temple, and saying, Hosanna to the Son of David, they were sore displeased, And said unto him, Hearest thou what these say? And Jesus saith unto them, Yea; have ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise?”

(1 Corinthians 3: 1) “ And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.”

(1 John 2:28) "And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming."

Last edited:
Reactions: Miss Hepburn

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
“And said, verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.”

As a child, I grew up hearing countless explanations to what Jesus meant when He said, “become as little children”. I was taught this was an achievable task by something of my own doing. Hold on to your youth with all your might! As an adult, I will admit, I have stared into a face of a child and carried with me this same mindset that it is something within the nature of small children that inherits the kingdom of God. I would study that nature of seemly goodness attempting to grasp what it was a child possessed. While there is much to be said for the trust and faith of a child, it is not necessarily the qualities of a child Jesus was referring to, but rather a new birth.

And where is there any scripture to back up what you cliam it to mean? You never gave us any. You gave a mixed bunch of scripture that mention new birth and children. Children are not babys. and babys are not children. If He ment a baby He would have said a baby you are talking scriptures and again trying to make the fit what YOU think as oppsoe to letting God say what He says. Where do you people get this?
Its because of people like you who have caused so much confusion? I already asked you what are your qualifications to teach? What have you got to back up that anyone should listen to you? What signs and wonders are folloing you? They would all be proof.

“Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit
.”

Woops now we are back at the born again. and once again YOU are taking a well known scripture and trying to mean We need to be born again so we can change our mind set,way of thinking, turning from flesh to spirit. Instead of throwing out scripture and trying to make it fot. You need to explian what you are thinking and how it fits instead of expecting us just to except it. It does not fit. Its actully a shambles you have here.

To inherit the kingdom, we must become as a little child. We must be born again. It is not in how we act, carrying a presence of some of the admirable qualities of a child. It is not some quality we possess that causes us to be born again, but by the Spirit. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh...

You are quoting two different verses with two different meanings. This is basic teaching that is really for the new birth Christians and you have no clue as to what they both mean. Why would you do that? No Idea why this is in red.

(Matthew 21) “And when the chief priests and scribes saw the wonderful things that he did, and the children crying in the temple, and saying, Hosanna to the Son of David, they were sore displeased, And said unto him, Hearest thou what these say? And Jesus saith unto them, Yea; have ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise?”(1 Corinthians 3: 1) “ And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.”

(1 John 2:28) "And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming."

This is total nonsense.
New birth is about being born again , no ifs ands or buts.
Becoming like children is about mind renewal. The church does not teach on this and there in lies you problem.
As adults you lived a life in the flesh and you need to go back and be like children trusting in Him leaving behind old selfish habits. so simple.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already asked you what are your qualifications to teach? What have you got to back up that anyone should listen to you? What signs and wonders are folloing you? They would all be proof.
I will ask the same of you.

What qualifies you to teach and what signs and wonders follow you?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Simple, a child is trusting has no fear and has faith in there parents, IS not that what Jesus desires, Faith. It liek when my granddaughter is walking on a wall, and she knows that i am there ready to catch her if she might fall, or in teh middle of the night when she wakes up scared she know i will come to her to comfort her, cover her over if she gets cold, Its teh nature of a trusting child.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
This is total nonsense.
New birth is about being born again , no ifs ands or buts.
Becoming like children is about mind renewal. The church does not teach on this and there in lies you problem.
As adults you lived a life in the flesh and you need to go back and be like children trusting in Him leaving behind old selfish habits. so simple.

Isn't the concept of being born again the same as mind renewal anyway? Isn't it about learning to listen to the "spirit" of what you hear and read instead of taking words literally and misinterpreting them?
It seems to me that the concept taught in 1 Cor 14 is to grow up and think like adults, not to think like little children at all. It's about becoming mature instead of being gullible and trusting in something you cannot even see.

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
Simple, a child is trusting has no fear and has faith in there parents, IS not that what Jesus desires, Faith. It liek when my granddaughter is walking on a wall, and she knows that i am there ready to catch her if she might fall, or in teh middle of the night when she wakes up scared she know i will come to her to comfort her, cover her over if she gets cold, Its teh nature of a trusting child.

A child can see their parents. If your grandaughter was walking on the wall and you were not physically there to catch her, but were at home and only with her in "spirit" and thinking about her walking on the wall, it would make no difference how much faith she had that you would catch her if she fell. The fact is that if she fell you would not be there to catch her.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Isn't the concept of being born again the same as mind renewal anyway? Isn't it about learning to listen to the "spirit" of what you hear and read instead of taking words literally and misinterpreting them?
It seems to me that the concept taught in 1 Cor 14 is to grow up and think like adults, not to think like little children at all. It's about becoming mature instead of being gullible and trusting in something you cannot even see.

No born again is born again into new life new begining born of the Spirit. Its always about listening to the Spirit as we go. And obviously in a new begining . You have to learn as you go. and then paul says we put away childish things. And on to growing into Christ. and representing Him as we go.
1 cor 14 has nothing to do with the OPs misteaching thoughts.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I already asked you what are your qualifications to teach? What have you got to back up that anyone should listen to you? What signs and wonders are following you? They would all be proof.

Sword, you are right I did make a shambles of the post. I should not have included the other scripture that really had nothing to do with the OP. What I was attempting was to share how we go from babes in need of milk, to mature and in need of meat. (1 Corinthians 13: 11) "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

I am not qualified to teach. I write. I ponder the things of God. I have a passion to know Him more. If I can't write about the Lord, then I do not want to write. I have found I am wrong more often than I am right. Maybe, I do need to be cautious on what I share with others. I still believe Matthew 18:3, “And said, verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.” is the Lord saying you must be born again to enter the kingdom. I still believe to be "as a child" is to be born again. But I will go back and restudy the topic throughout scripture.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Little children are trusting and accepting. They accept rather than question because they trust that what is being said to them is the truth. They don't require evidence. They have faith and believe without question.

My take on the matter.

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
No born again is born again into new life new begining born of the Spirit. Its always about listening to the Spirit as we go. And obviously in a new begining . You have to learn as you go. and then paul says we put away childish things. And on to growing into Christ. and representing Him as we go.
1 cor 14 has nothing to do with the OPs misteaching thoughts.

Whether the OP is misteaching anything or not is a matter of personal opinion. His thoughts are what they are and as far as I can tell he is merely sharing what he thinks.
The concept of maturing has everything to do with new beginnings. Growing up is all about leaving the old behind daily and advancing into the new. It is like "dying daily" to the old ways of thinking and being "born again" daily to new ways of thinking.
It seems to me that many believers treat the concept of "being born again" as something that happens to them only once in a lifetime much like physical birth is something that happens only once in a lifetime.
To me, the concept is more of a progressive thing which happens daily. Think of the concept of "dying daily" which is mentioned in 1 Cor 15:31. Think of the concept of leaving the old behind and rising in newness of life. That should be a daily part of life if you are continuing to grow and mature daily. The immature "you" ought always be "passing away" as the new mature "you" is "born again" daily. People who do not change are not growing but stagnate in their own set ways. They refuse to consider anything they don't agree with.

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
Little children are trusting and accepting. They accept rather than question because they trust that what is being said to them is the truth. They don't require evidence. They have faith and believe without question.

My take on the matter.

Children are gullible and easily fooled. The sad thing is that adults love to play tricks on children and many adults lie to children so ultimately many children grow up to not trust a lot of adults. They become very skeptical adults who question everything and trust no one till they prove to be trustworthy.
To trust and believe something without question is very foolish in my opinion, especially when you are trusting in some invisible character who supposedly has magical powers. That is no different to a child trusting in Santa Claus. Belief in invisible characters with magical powers is gullibility.
According to Heb 11:1 real faith is all about substance and evidence. It is not about believing in something without question.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My take on the matter.

I agree.

The religious people have a hard time learning of Jesus in trusting Him to do everything for them & to place all their hopes for everything on Him.

Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. 26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. 27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to Heb 11:1 real faith is all about substance and evidence. It is not about believing in something without question.
Is it?

Hebrews 11
1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A child can see their parents. If your grandaughter was walking on the wall and you were not physically there to catch her, but were at home and only with her in "spirit" and thinking about her walking on the wall, it would make no difference how much faith she had that you would catch her if she fell. The fact is that if she fell you would not be there to catch her.
And so when Jesus said, "when I come will I find faith upon teh earthy,", the answer, Not much not enough child like faith, to many grown ups trying to save them selves, no confidence in God nor Jesus to be ther when they are needed.

Reactions: Sword

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 20
29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Blind faith. The same as a small child's faith. Absolute belief within the heart without the aid of physical evidence.

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
Is it?

Hebrews 11
1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

According to that verse faith IS the substance of things people hope for and IT IS also the evidence of things that they may not have seen but nothing says those "things not seen" are impossible to see or invisible.
Therefore, the way I read it YES it IS all about substance and evidence. If you have no substance or nothing substantial to show your faith then your faith is dead according to James 2.

For example, anyone can claim to have faith in an invisible character but if the invisible character never reveals himself or shows himself to anyone then that faith is in vain. You might as well place your faith in Santa or the tooth fairy just like a little child and never accept the fact that your own family are Santa and the tooth faith.

When it comes to faith in Santa the substance of Santa is actually the family. The magic man is nothing but a figment of human imagination.
The same concept applies to any faith in "God" It is no different to having faith in humanity and believing there is goodness in all people.

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
And so when Jesus said, "when I come will I find faith upon teh earthy,", the answer, Not much not enough child like faith, to many grown ups trying to save them selves, no confidence in God nor Jesus to be ther when they are needed.

Do you have confidence that Zeus might be there when you need him?
Do you have confidence that Santa might be there when you need him?
How about any other invisible characters with magical powers?
It is far more realistic to place your confidence in some real visible people even if they are not always in your presence. Ultimately the only real person who is always with you and never leaves or forsakes you is yourself. You cannot rely on anyone else to always be there for you.
There comes a time in the life of every child where that child needs to mature and become the adult. Remaining a child all your life is stagnation and not growth at all.
The character Jesus IS TRUTH. He is not some magic man who is coming to Earth one day. TRUTH comes to everyone daily but very few accept it. Most prefer to reject it in favour of their invisible idol.

skyangel

Realist
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia

Does the God of the bible stories set an example for readers to follow? If so, who does that God worship and in whom does he place his confidence?
When a father sets a self confident and self reliant example, he is teaching his children to become self confident and self reliant so they are not helpless children for the rest of their lives and end up relying on some invisible character who will ultimately let them down.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do you have confidence that Zeus might be there when you need him?
Absolutely Hes always being there, God made us fragile so we would need Him but men build walls around himself to keep God out so He can boast of His sel reliance till the storm comes and washes it all away, suddenly He needs God just like a child.