Why did Jesus tell the thief he would be with Him in paradise that same day?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus said He would be 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the earth following His crucifixion in Matthew 12:40

For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth

But Jesus also said to the thief on the cross "today you will be with me in paradise" Luke 23:43

And Jesus said unto him,Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise

So this seems like a contradiction, doesn't it? Was He in two places at once? The heart of the earth, where Jesus went to preach to the spirits in captivity as per 1 Peter 3:19, is surely not paradise by any stretch of the imagination.

Acts 1:2-3 mentions that He had not yet ascended to heaven, but was with them for 40 days.

...until the day he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen
After his suffering, he presented himself to them and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God

John 20:17 Jesus tells Mary not to cling to Him for He had not ascended yet.

Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God

Acts 1:9-11 describes precisely when Jesus ascends to heaven.

After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight
They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them.
Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”

Question: why did Jesus tell the thief on the cross that he would be with Him in paradise "today" when scripture clearly teaches that Jesus descended to the realm of the dead and then resurrected to spend 40 days with His disciples?

Answer: The best answer I can think of is simply that God views time differently than we do, I guess.

Can anyone resolve this seeming contradiction?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Why did Jesus tell the thief he would be with Him in paradise that same day?​

He didn't!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Question: why did Jesus tell the thief on the cross that he would be with Him in paradise "today" when scripture clearly teaches that Jesus descended to the realm of the dead and then resurrected to spend 40 days with His disciples?

Answer: The best answer I can think of is simply that God views time differently than we do, I guess.

As I've researched this, it seems that Abraham's bosom, the side of comfort in Sheol, the "unseen realm" of the dead, was also called Paradise.

Much love!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does time have the same meaning on that side of existence as it does on this side?

But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day. (2 Peter 3:8)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Oh no?
Jesus didn't go to paradise that day, he was dead. The comma has been put in the wrong place. It should read like this to be consistent with the facts. 'I say unto you today, you will be with me in paradise'
In other words, Jesus was addressing the thief that day, telling him he is a saved man

Reactions: tigger 2

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus didn't go to paradise that day, he was dead. The comma has been put in the wrong place. It should read like this to be consistent with the facts. 'I say unto you today, you will be with me in paradise'
In other words, Jesus was addressing the thief that day, telling him he is a saved man
So the comma is in the wrong place in virtually every translation?

Reactions: RLT63

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So the comma is in the wrong place in virtually every translation?
Punctuation was not in the original languages. All punctuation is an addition for the purpose of breaking up the written text; making it easier to read. They have simply got the comma in the wrong place.

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Punctuation was not in the original languages. All punctuation is an addition for the purpose of breaking up the written text; making it easier to read. They have simply got the comma in the wrong place.
So all of the scholars who translated the bible into various versions, they all got it wrong? But you got it right? Is that correct?

Reactions: Johann and RLT63

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said He would be 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the earth following His crucifixion in Matthew 12:40

For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth

But Jesus also said to the thief on the cross "today you will be with me in paradise" Luke 23:43

And Jesus said unto him,Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise

So this seems like a contradiction, doesn't it? Was He in two places at once? The heart of the earth, where Jesus went to preach to the spirits in captivity as per 1 Peter 3:19, is surely not paradise by any stretch of the imagination.

Acts 1:2-3 mentions that He had not yet ascended to heaven, but was with them for 40 days.

...until the day he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen
After his suffering, he presented himself to them and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God

Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God

After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight
They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them.
Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”

In Matthews account the two mocked him.
Matthew 27:42-44 KJV
[42] He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him. [43] He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God. [44] The thieves also, which were crucified with him, cast the same in his teeth.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So all of the scholars who translated the bible into various versions, they all got it wrong? But you got it right? Is that correct?
One translates to a large degree on how one sees....that's how it works. If you believe you go to heaven when you die you would probably put the comma where many translators have put it however, when you take all things into consideration surrounding the crucifixion and resurrection it becomes clear the comma has been placed in the wrong spot.

The most obvious is when Mary met Jesus at the tomb early Sunday morning she clung to him and Jesus said to her in John 20:17 'Jesus said, "Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, 'I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'

This tells us that Jesus hadn't gone to paradise/heaven yet. He had been dead in the tomb, thus the resurrection three days later. This indicates that the comma was placed in an incorrect position. The comma after 'today' instead of before makes everything consistent with the record......and inconsistent with the idea that one goes to heaven immediately one dies.

So, to answer your question, the translators were in error regarding where they placed the comma :)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022
Vermont
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Your missing it... Jesus gave up His spirit and if you read ecclesiastics it says that the Spirit returns to God who gave it. Jesus went down but the Spirit went up and When His spirit went up the theif went too. Hope this helps. Have a good day.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Your missing it... Jesus gave up His spirit and if you read ecclesiastics it says that the Spirit returns to God who gave it. Jesus went down but the Spirit went up and When His spirit went up the theif went too. Hope this helps. Have a good day.
The expression 'spirit' in this context does no refer to a conscious entity independent of the body. The spirit referred to here is the life force, the energy. To reiterate, it's not referring to a little Jesus seperate from his body. The scripture says, Jesus was dead! That means his whole reality.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Because the New Testament was originally written without punctuation, a debate has arisen over whether the word ‘today’ belongs to Jesus’ opening phrase (“Truly I tell you today…”) or with His promise (“today you will be with Me in Paradise”). Technically, either interpretation could be correct; but which is more likely? I believe it to be the second, for three reasons:

1. “Truly I tell you today” would be unique in the Gospel record. “Truly I tell you” is Jesus’ standard phraseology, and why should it be any different here?
  2. Of all the times and places to insert an extra (and completely unnecessary) word, hanging on a cross is probably the most unlikely! This is because crucifixion placed the victim in a position where it was extremely difficult (and painful) to breathe - and so conversation, though not impossible, would naturally be reduced to the absolute minimum.
  3. If the word ‘today’ goes with “Truly I tell you,” it is redundant; it adds no useful information. But if it goes with “You will be with Me in Paradise,” it conveys some very important information! Death by crucifixion could often take days - days of utter agony - but Jesus was prophesying that they would both die that very day, and so the criminal’s sufferings would be limited to a few hours. And as we know, that was what happened, because the Romans broke his legs later that afternoon in order to hasten his death (John 19:31,32).

Reactions: RLT63

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
everyone who died before resurrection went to hell. paradise and prison is part of this place but separated, Jesus went to paradise so did the man. The Logos of God went and proclaimed a message to those in prison. God rose Jesus after three days. Jesus spoke a parable about the place dealing with the Rich man and Lazarus. Up to you to decide for yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: RLT63 and TEXBOW
Dec 2, 2022
Vermont
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The expression 'spirit' in this context does no refer to a conscious entity independent of the body. The spirit referred to here is the life force, the energy. To reiterate, it's not referring to a little Jesus seperate from his body. The scripture says, Jesus was dead! That means his whole reality.
Clearly you know not the Spirit or Death. Do more research beforing popping off like this.

Dec 2, 2022
Vermont
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
everyone who died before resurrection went to hell. paradise and prison is part of this place but separated, Jesus went to paradise so did the man. The Logos of God went and proclaimed a message to those in prison. God rose Jesus after three days. Jesus spoke a parable about the place dealing with the Rich man and Lazarus. Up to you to decide for yourself.
That parable is the reason why Jesus had to become sin, so that he could enter into Darkness and free the captives from he'll. That is only one of many things did when He decended into darkness.

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That parable is the reason why Jesus had to become sin, so that he could enter into Darkness and free the captives from he'll. That is only one of many things did when He decended into darkness.
You seem like the first person on here to believe what happened with Jesus; when it comes to talking about Sheol. Not many people believe that is where he went, after his horrible death he suffered and faced from being beaten and having a crown of thorns on his head, and being beat by the soldiers and stripped naked, then taken and hung on the cross.

Dec 2, 2022
Vermont
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem like the first person on here to believe what happened with Jesus; when it comes to talking about Sheol. Not many people believe that is where he went, after his horrible death he suffered and faced from being beaten and having a crown of thorns on his head, and being beat by the soldiers and stripped naked, then taken and hung on the cross.
I am a seeker of truth and I've been through many tribulations to come into understanding what happened. You see Jesus was not only stripped psychically but He was stripped spiritually as well. He gave up His Spirit and he gave up the Ghost and when the soilder preiced His side The waters and his lifeblood was removed .Jesus allowed this. JESUS said no body takes my life from me, I lay it down on my own accord. He had be to stripped bare to become Sin so that He could enter Darkness and kick some major butt. He did not sin once when He became sin and I believe when Jesus was resurrected he carried sin to heaven and bound him, that is Sin himself. He said whatever is bound in heaven is bound on earth. He even took the keys to Death and Hades. Go Jesus!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: MatthewG

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Clearly you know not the Spirit or Death. Do more research beforing popping off like this.
I know the scriptures well Jason.....and this is no popping.
The devil's first lie was 'thou shalt not surely die.' It seems the larger majority of the Christian world has believed the lie. They wrestle to fit the scriptures into this lie.