Why Did John Say He Did Not Know His Cousin, Jesus?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In John’s Gospel @ 1:31 and again @ v 33, the Baptizer says ‘I myself did not know him,’ referring to his cousin, Jesus. This is not literally likely, especially since Mary visited for months before he was born.

And that begs the question of why did he say it twice?

It is a different thing to say you did not even know your blood relative from you did not realize this person you knew all your life would assume a lofty position.

I did not know my sister.

I did not realize the sister I grew up with all my life would become a famous movie star, lead a cause, give such memorable and passionate speeches.

Are these supposed to be the same? John did NOT know his cousin means the EXACT same thing as the opposite?

Reactions: amadeus

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The testimony of John the Baptist is a major theme in the first few chapters of John's Gospel. See John 5:33-35. John is a major witness to Jesus' true identity as Messiah and Son of God.

So I don't think John is saying (in John 1:31), "This guy is a complete stranger." He's talking about the revelation of Jesus as the Messiah and as the Lamb of God who takes away the sin if the world (verse 29, immediately preceding the statement in question).
I also think (remembering that in John's Gospel many things are expressed in a somewhat enigmatic fashion) that John is emphasising the divine origin of the revelation that he has received. He didn't work out this truth "for himself", let alone make it up (because he wanted to promote his cousin); God revealed it to him.

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When John saw Jesus for the first time at Baptismal pond where John the Baptist was Baptizing people into Christians, he knew who Jesus was as soon as he laid eyes on him, that he was the Son of God, he said it is you who should be Baptizing me.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In John’s Gospel @ 1:31 and again @ v 33, the Baptizer says ‘I myself did not know him,’ referring to his cousin, Jesus. This is not literally likely, especially since Mary visited for months before he was born.

It is a different thing to say you did not even know your blood relative from you did not realize this person you knew all your life would assume a lofty position.

I did not realize the sister I grew up with all my life would become a famous movie star, lead a cause, give such memorable and passionate speeches.

Are these supposed to be the same? John did NOT know his cousin means the EXACT same thing as the opposite?

It is strange isn't it Wrangler, think of all of Jesus' brothers, and some of the reactions of his mother, that is just as remarkable. Remember what John was supposed to be? If one reads the whole account, it is really answered. It may be that John was not 100% sure Jesus was the promised Messiah, but he had announced him as the Lamb of God:
(John 1:22-34) . . .they said to him: “Who are you? Tell us so that we may give an answer to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?” 23 He said: “I am a voice of someone crying out in the wilderness, ‘Make the way of Jehovah straight,’ just as Isaiah the prophet said.” 24 Now those sent were from the Pharisees. 25 So they questioned him and said to him: “Why, then, do you baptize if you are not the Christ or E·liʹjah or the Prophet?” 26 John answered them: “I baptize in water. One is standing among you whom you do not know, 27 the one coming behind me, the lace of whose sandal I am not worthy to untie.” 28 These things took place in Bethʹa·ny across the Jordan, where John was baptizing. 29 The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and he said: “See, the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world! 30 This is the one about whom I said: ‘Behind me there comes a man who has advanced in front of me, for he existed before me.’ 31 Even I did not know him, but the reason why I came baptizing in water was so that he might be made manifest to Israel.” 32 John also bore witness, saying: “I viewed the spirit coming down as a dove out of heaven, and it remained upon him. 33 Even I did not know him, but the very One who sent me to baptize in water said to me: ‘Whoever it is upon whom you see the spirit coming down and remaining, this is the one who baptizes in holy spirit.’ 34 And I have seen it, and I have given witness that this one is the Son of God.”

But like you I do find some of the reactions of family members toward him kind of strange, but none of us are perfect, with the exception of Jesus of course.

Reactions: Wrangler

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There ya go! Knew of Him. Knew he had a cousin. May have played with Him in their youth.....but as an adult he did not recognize Him. Seems to be the general general consensus.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

@Deborah_ @JohnPaul @Robert Gwin

Apparently, they grew apart. Just because their mothers knew, it did not mean by the time John was of age, his mother relayed this to him.

Even Mary seem to have trouble fathoming the scope of her "son".

Luke 2:42 And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast. 43 And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it. 44 But they, supposing him to have been in the company, went a day's journey; and they sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintance. 45 And when they found him not, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking him. 46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions. 47 And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers. 48 And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing. 49 And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business? 50 And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them. 51 And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart. 52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.

Mary & Joseph had that "Home Alone" drama with Jesus but being left behind in Jerusalem but found in God's Home; the Temple. The irony.

So I can see how John the Baptist would not know that Jesus was the One he was sent to prophesy about, especially if they had grown apart.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But like you I do find some of the reactions of family members toward him kind of strange

That reminds me of the movie The Matrix, shortly after Neo became aware of the real world. After Morpheous explained to Neo that he is 'the one' prophesied, one of Morpheous' cohorts asked him how he is processing the burden of that information.

It was all so overwhelming to Neo and I imagine that is what it was like for Jesus' family.

In another passage, his family things Jesus is insane for what he is saying. Even his neighbors growing up refuse to make the connection. I suspect it pained him when people he knew his whole life shunned him, leading him to famously say that no prophets are believed in their home towns.

Reactions: Nancy

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Certainty is not applicable where belief is concerned just as the historical record of the present is not applicable.

That is why I said may be. I think the account really gives the answer, but not point blank of course.

Reactions: Wrangler

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If John said he didn't know him, then I would guess he didn't know him.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That reminds me of the movie The Matrix, shortly after Neo became aware of the real world. After Morpheous explained to Neo that he is 'the one' prophesied, one of Morpheous' cohorts asked him how he is processing the burden of that information.

It was all so overwhelming to Neo and I imagine that is what it was like for Jesus' family.

In another passage, his family things Jesus is insane for what he is saying. Even his neighbors growing up refuse to make the connection. I suspect it pained him when people he knew his whole life shunned him, leading him to famously say that no prophets are believed in their home towns.

I may have watched that movie, but I really don't remember Wrangler. My brain does not work well, I forget so very much. I usually quote movie lines, one I regularly use is from Henry Fonda in On golden pond, its all new to me. Do you understand what he meant sir?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 1:29-34 KJV
29) The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
30) This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me.
31) And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water.
32) And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him.
33) And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.
34) And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.

Where the KJV says here, I knew him not, the Greek word used there is not the usual word for knowing, ginosko, but is from edien, perceive.

Matthew 3:13-15 KJV
13) Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
14) But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
15) And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

It seems to me this passage shows us familiarity between John and Jesus, and that John knew there was something special about Jesus. It would be when John saw the Holy Spirit descend and remain on Jesus, and then John perceived that Jesus was the chosen Lamb of God.

Much love!

Mark51

Nov 8, 2020
BROOKLYN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

According to Bible linage, Mary and Elizabeth were certainly related. However, according to The Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible, “the term is too broad to be of help in determining their precise relationship.”

For example, compare Luke 1:36 and Collisions 4:10. The Greek word used in Luke translates: “relative”; whereas, the Greek word used in Collisions translates: “cousin.” Although Bible version/translation differ. The relationship between John the Baptist and Jesus would possible be second cousins-by tradition.

Furthermore, I question how John and Jesus could, according to my very basic understanding of biology, in fact be “blood” relatives. Mary, in actuality, was a surrogate. Women today that carry a fertilized egg from two different donors does not make the infant a blood relation of the surrogate mother. However, perhaps Mary’s “egg” was utilized.

Considering this and with modern technology and ease of transportation, I have second cousins that I have little to no contact with. It is very possible that John was not aware that Jesus was related.

Considering John 1:31, 33, it seem to me that what John was referring to is that he did not "know him"-Jesus-as the Messiah.

Last edited:

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So I don't think John is saying John 1:31 "This guy is a complete stranger."
He's talking about the revelation of Jesus as the Messiah and as the Lamb of
God who takes away the sin if the world (verse 29, immediately preceding
the statement in question).

It's amazing that Jesus lived such an ordinary life that so few had the
slightest hint or inkling that he was anybody important, neither his
townsmen nor even his cousin John whom, if he seldom saw during the year,
he certainly saw at least during Jewish feasts that require a pilgrimage to
Jerusalem. (cf. Matt 13:54-57 and Luke 4:16-22)

In point of fact, Jesus was pretty much marginalized.

Isa 53:2-3 . .There was nothing beautiful or majestic about his
appearance, nothing to attract us to him. He was despised and rejected--a
man of sorrows, acquainted with bitterest grief. We turned our backs on him
and looked the other way when he went by. He was despised, and we did
not care.
_