Why Do Christians Judge Others?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Although nobody likes being judged themselves. I was just having this really good conversation with my boyfriend and I wanted to know all of your thoughts and opinions on this.

tsr

Feb 2, 2021
04/20/47
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should christians judge people? First off, all of humanity has two things in common:

• First, we don’t like to be told how to live.
  • Second, we like to tell others how to live.
Jesus knew this when He said the words captured in Matthew 7:1-2. However, His words have been twisted by both Christians and non-Christians alike. Either we like to twist this verse because we don’t want others telling us what to do, or because we can tell others what to do—to stop being so judgmental! Either way, we’re adding our intentions into the Scripture, not drawing His truth out of it.

Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Matthew 7:1-2 NIV

Irwin Fletcher

Sep 19, 2020
Cyprus
seeinggodclearly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cyprus
Our sinful nature drives us to want to put others below us and push them down. As Christians, our judgement should come in the context of community. As we relate to each other in a local body of believers, we have the right to "judge" those who we are practicing the one anothers with in Christian community. That is the healthy environment for Christian mutual accountability.

Here are a couple of articles I've written on these subjects:

Hostility put to Death
Don’t “Other” One Another

Reactions: April_Rose

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Although nobody likes being judged themselves. I was just having this really good conversation with my boyfriend and I wanted to know all of your thoughts and opinions on this.

"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts." Prov. 21:2

To get away from this... that is for to see what God sees, requires God's help...

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened." Matt 7:7-8

"Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts" James 4:3

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Others, as in non-Christians? If so, because it's part of our calling, to be discerning, to know right from wrong, to recognize anti-Christian and atheistic sentiments when we here them. We judge where help is required, and where it is not, what to say at any given moment, and when to remain silent, all based on the judgment that we make on the person(s) that we are talking to.
Pre-judging is entirely different, it implies not having grounds or a basis for your conclusion - you're judging before it is warranted (race, stature, wealth, superficial reasons, ...).

But, you probably mean judging in comparing ourselves with others, ...insecurities I imagine, or arrogance and self-righteousness. Either way, misguided and detrimental for both parties.

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dearest AR,

Scripture appears to require that we judge within the church, so that SIN is held at bay for us believers. Of course we judge not to condemn, but to correct and bring back into fellowship so that we can all be part of the body of Christ. -- And at the same time we're NOT to judge the world because they're still in darkness, and they're only doing what is natural for the flesh.

And so we strive to judge righteously, and not motivated by anything other than LOVE for our fellow Christian's relationship with GOD.

With VERY BEST REGARDS,
ELAM (and bobby jo doing the typing . :rolleyes: )

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Greek language was a very precise language in many ways...and in others it is incomplete. And especially because of the age of it and in another culture...the thoughts in the scriptures don't become very clear to us "modern" people.

But basically when Jesus was saying this he was talking about people who were closed minded bigots and that you shouldn't be one.

There are some very basic tenants of the faith that we hold onto so dearly.
And some people haven't heard them correctly...ever. but that doesn't mean that they are evil or should be shunned... just that they need proper instructions.

For example: in a lot of ways I tend to think that the SDA are a bit silly in their beliefs...but that doesn't mean that I believe them to be heathens either.

Then there are the Godless...these days it's usually Chinese from PRC. So long as they aren't hostile to God (unlike many here in Westernized society) I really don't think that painting them with a broad brush is acceptable to God. Same thing with Muslims. They usually grew up in a muslim culture and never really had much exposure to Christianity except for the lies told to them about us. And if they are open to the Gospel and learning...teach them what you know and direct them to others that know more.

That's what Jesus was talking about when saying "Don't Judge". There's a whole world of difference between being a closed minded bigots vs judging someone for moral turpitude.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Everyone forms opinions...
ON a first look, ON knowing a person, ON behaviors at any given time, etc.

An "Opinion, can be a fleeting thing". SEE something, Hear Something, comment, and NOT think another thing about it.

Opinions ...spoken TO someone, immediately are "received" as Judgements.

I would say "regularly", it's A pointing out of "differences" between two people...
And "more typically than not"... it's "a HINT"...to consider the others Opinion...but as soon as one "feels" Judged...the bottom falls out and a battle is on...!!

You mention Boyfriend. Men and Women are Different in HOW they process thoughts.
And what seems so natural to a woman is completely foreign to a man's natural thoughts...and visa versa.

Hint- Women can say what they like and do not like (but never use that man as the example of a dislike)...and visa versa.
If it is important to THEM, (or you) they will act on it.
If they don't see the importance, then doubtful to hope for a change...and visa versa.

Don't overload...DECIDE what IS really important...and focus on that.
And never BE shy to compliment efforts of the other, whether successful to YOUR expectation/standard or not.

Try to set aside...you are Judging me...
Listen to what is Really bugging them.

Because people are funny...something that really bugged a person a month ago...can be stewing and "think"...every opportunity is good to make a disapproval known...and the other is dumbfounded...because it has nothing to do with the moment...but is really about something from a month ago.

Women think Hints are a nonjudgemental way of a soft touch.
Hints...straight off...fail with most men!
But again, men close their ears, if the man IS the example of a disliked behavior...they also also feel judged.

Stick with the important things...talk, identify the likes...(both)...directing eachother to the positive and acknowledging with compliments.

Relationships are a path of ruts and bumps...and it's takes awhile to figure out how to smooth the part and enjoy the ride.
Direct, priority of True importance, laughter at yourself, honesty.

God Bless,
Taken

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Others, as in non-Christians? If so, because it's part of our calling, to be discerning, to know right from wrong, to recognize anti-Christian and atheistic sentiments when we here them. We judge where help is required, and where it is not, what to say at any given moment, and when to remain silent, all based on the judgment that we make on the person(s) that we are talking to.
Pre-judging is entirely different, it implies not having grounds or a basis for your conclusion - you're judging before it is warranted (race, stature, wealth, superficial reasons, ...).

But, you probably mean judging in comparing ourselves with others, ...insecurities I imagine, or arrogance and self-righteousness. Either way, misguided and detrimental for both parties.

I actually mean judging in general.

Of course we judge not to condemn,

You obviously haven't read a lot of posts that I have.

Reactions: Bobby Jo

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dearest AR,

If we need to condemn Christians, -- I may not be in front of PAUL, but I'm certainly right behind him in guilt; so it's a good thing we have a SAVIOR who forgives us as we strive to be like HIM! :)

With VERY BEST REGARDS,
ELAM (and bobby jo doing the typing :rolleyes:)

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Btw, I think it's also important to add here that I never really let the thoughts and opinions of other get to me in changing the kind of person that I am because I'm my own best friend and like myself for who I am and just the way I am. :)